XO Manowar 15 Kotacki error

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Re: XO Manowar 15 Kotacki error

Post by Juki »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Juki wrote:I recently made my very first CGC submission of comic books. This #29 was included. This comic had a slight bend on the lower left corner. From what I have now read...I probably should have paid to have it pressed first. I really don't know when it will come back into my hands.
If you think it will be worth it, depending on the price you'd fetch for it, you could always re-submit it. Maybe one day you'd like to add signatures or something (Cary Nord or VDitti or both), then you could have CGC crack it (at a Con), get your sigs, then ensure that it gets pressed prior to slabbing!

Then again, I am more of a gambler when it comes to that kind of thing.

I got this back from CGC today... It looks Awsome... But the grade is pretty low... Graders notes said "light bends to cover" and " indent lower right cover"... I will crack and press if I ever get a chance to have signed.

The top says "Manufactered with cover printed off-register"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Juki wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Juki wrote:I recently made my very first CGC submission of comic books. This #29 was included. This comic had a slight bend on the lower left corner. From what I have now read...I probably should have paid to have it pressed first. I really don't know when it will come back into my hands.
If you think it will be worth it, depending on the price you'd fetch for it, you could always re-submit it. Maybe one day you'd like to add signatures or something (Cary Nord or VDitti or both), then you could have CGC crack it (at a Con), get your sigs, then ensure that it gets pressed prior to slabbing!

Then again, I am more of a gambler when it comes to that kind of thing.

I got this back from CGC today... It looks Awsome... But the grade is pretty low... Graders notes said "light bends to cover" and " indent lower right cover"... I will crack and press if I ever get a chance to have signed.

The top says "Manufactered with cover printed off-register"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This isn't a registration issue; it's a trimming issue. I found an issue of Imperium that was similar to this, but the trimming issue was left to right rather than top to bottom. Didn't bother picking it up though.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

What does "registration issue" mean? I understand that "cutting error"means it was cut wrong.

I thought the bar at the top showing a PDF file looked cool and showed the use of computer files in making the book. That's why I stabbed it. I also thought it may have been a computer error causing the cover to be off center... But Greg explained differently (miscut).
Last edited by Juki on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

That's kinda crazy... The whole cover was shifted before stapling.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Juki wrote:What does "registration issue" mean? I understand that "cutting error"means it was cut wrong.

I thought the bar at the top showing a PDF file looked cool and showed the use of computer files in making the book. That's why I stabbed it. I also thought it may have been a computer error causing the cover to be off center... But Greg explained differently (miscut).
Typically printing is done with 4 colors; Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. A registration error is when the one of those separations is offset from the others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing_registration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

kjjohanson wrote:
Juki wrote:What does "registration issue" mean? I understand that "cutting error"means it was cut wrong.

Typically printing is done with 4 colors; Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. A registration error is when the one of those separations is offset from the others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing_registration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, you are correct. There doesn't seem to be anything off with the colors (I have compared it to a normal issue of X-O #29). Strictly seems that the cover shifted down about 1/4 inch before being cut.