Would japan ever have a problem with Ninjak...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Would japan ever have a problem with Ninjak...

Post by Sven the Returned »

Because he took something from their culture in any persiod now that Ninjak's go back mto WW1. I assume they never care because they worship Samurai historically instead of Ninjas but just wondering...

Would they have beef about it in any past decade between now and ww1?
Last edited by Sven the Returned on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:17:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2
Re: Would japan ever have a problem with Ninjak...

Post by Dr. Solar »

How would they even know Ninjak exists?

Ninjas are invisible.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Favorite character: Animalia

Post by SuperMage »

No. The Japanese don't really care about foreign media. They tend to pretty apathetic towards it. Japan is also a very homogeneous society. They don't really have a concept for multiculturalism. Ninjas are a generic archtype.

People might be confused why a white guy is a ninja, since ninjas are supposed to Asian, unless they're the main character. For the record the are real life examples of Japanese martial arts being adopted by foreign cultures due to immigration from Japan. Brazil is an example. Basically the same story as Ninja-K. Japanese martial artist came to Brazil, and taught their moves to the locals.

The difference is that in real life this lead to new cultures and traditions that were combinations of the contributing cultures. Japanese Judo became Brazilian Jui-Jitsu.

With the exception of Colin, every member of the Ninja Programme looks like the product of a melting pot. Traditional ninjas skills mixed with their own flavor of espionage.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sven the Returned wrote:Because he took something from their culture in any persiod now that Ninjak's go back mto WW1. I assume they never cares because they worship Samurai historically instead of Ninjas but just wondering...

Would they have beef about it in any past decade betweejn now and ww1?
Are you speaking about from the stories perspective? From what I understand, during WWI, they sent someone to train the MI-6 group, Or should I say someone went there to train. Guess we will find out the particulars when the book is released, tons of learning to do. From Ninja-A all the way through the now Ninja-K, the training has been from one agent to another (i'll assume outside regular martial arts). Would Japan have "beef" with this in the story line? Doubtful, as the books tend to follow real life. Much like SuperMage stated, they just don't care.

Now, would some super-criminal that hailed from Japan gave a damn, then maybe that might work in the book.
Moose

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I figured this was a question about whether they'll have a problem with the one named Ninja-P. :hm: :lol:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

God I hope that this is a simply-worded question about a story direction rather than real life. If it is about real life, then my God this question is so indicative of the awful cultural zeitgeist permeating the country. The question, even framing "Japan" as a cognizant entity as a whole gives evidence of the belief that "Offense" is some kind of physically manifested crime that people are accountable for inflicting.

I think it says so much that some of us aren't even certain as to how this question is directed.

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

I find the whole "Cultural Appropriation" argument not based in logic or reason.

If that is what you are implying.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Brother Darque wrote:I find the whole "Cultural Appropriation" argument not based in logic or reason.
Same. The west had, oh, I dunno... steel warships and denim jeans long before Japan ever did. Are Americans put off now that Japan does, too?

Cultural Appropriation is just politics, some kind of harebrained narrative framing tool so people can whip up righteous indignation.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

IMJ wrote:God I hope that this is a simply-worded question about a story direction rather than real life. If it is about real life, then my God this question is so indicative of the awful cultural zeitgeist permeating the country. The question, even framing "Japan" as a cognizant entity as a whole gives evidence of the belief that "Offense" is some kind of physically manifested crime that people are accountable for inflicting.

I think it says so much that some of us aren't even certain as to how this question is directed.
Relax, not talking about IRL.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Sven the Returned wrote:
IMJ wrote:God I hope that this is a simply-worded question about a story direction rather than real life. If it is about real life, then my God this question is so indicative of the awful cultural zeitgeist permeating the country. The question, even framing "Japan" as a cognizant entity as a whole gives evidence of the belief that "Offense" is some kind of physically manifested crime that people are accountable for inflicting.

Relax, not talking about IRL.
Good!

In that case, from a story perspective, nah I don't think Japan as an entity would have a problem with in-universe Ninjak doing ninja things. On that note though, I suppose some kind of hyperbolic, nationalist villain could be written in as someone who goes after Ninjak for his cultural beliefs. But then again that would open up a can of worms for liberals to latch onto and say that this cliche villain is a racist caricature or some other such nonsense.