On the Verge of Something Great?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Funcha
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith
On the Verge of Something Great?

Post by Funcha »

I'm still somewhat bullish on Valiant's future. I know it's pretty disappointing that most Valiant titles since 2012 still seem to be dollar bin fodder (besides variants, of course), but if the movies generate even a modest amount of interest in the comics, finding back issues may be a difficult proposition with the low print runs and all. We all remember how hot Pre-Unity Valiants were (and somewhat still are today) and I wonder if we're in the "pre-something" era for modern Valiant now.

In five years could we see the modern Harbinger #1 as a $50 book? Will be interesting to see how pricing trends go over a decade of new Valiant.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI
Re: On the Verge of Something Great?

Post by ilzuccone »

i'm not convinced these movies will happen now.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

ilzuccone wrote:i'm not convinced these movies will happen now.
What makes ya say that? Spill.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Yeah, what do you know that we don't :)
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

there is a lot of valiant in buck bins for sure i picked up half of the new stuff so far that way no orginization so far but ill get to i after kid 3 gets here

i have a little faith about the movies

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I have faith that they'll produce some kind of video content albeit movies, TV, webisodes, animation, or something.
***Support your local farmers!***

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

i cound see netflix doing bloodshot although my personal choice would be eternal warrior through the times highlander style

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

superman-prime wrote:i cound see netflix doing bloodshot although my personal choice would be eternal warrior through the times highlander style
I think these two things, in a Netflix format is really the greatest hope of having Valiant stuff appear on screen and gaining some traction. I really don't see Valiant breaking through successfully via normal Hollywood channels. If they go the D2V or web series route, those production tend to just become trashy B-movies. Doing something like a rock solid Netflix show gives the properties some credibility. The truth is that a bad Hollywood production could sink the whole line.

What I really think would help these IPs would be for Valiant to have a terrific animated movie presence first. Something akin to how well DC has performed in animation, but for Valiant go all-in on an anime angle or something that would allow these properties to fulfill another niche outside of the comic buyers, which would allow them to wedge their foot in the door of the public zeitgeist a little more at this point.

Imagine the following that Ninjak done like Ninja Scroll, or Bloodshot done like Golgo-13 could garner.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

ya a direct animated they just need a start so few know the marterial that a little push would go a long way in knowledge and viewership comic movies or sereis are mainstream now, with a start it would evolve in to more very fast as holywood tries to keep cashng in

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

paradise wrote:
I think there was a forum member with inside knowledge who told a different story. In one of the movie threads that pops up every month.

Apparently Bloodshot is far along in production. They're filming sometime next year. I think BetterthanEzra is the one with inside knowledge, but I wouldn't pressure anyone for more. It was nice enough to get confirmation of the schedule. Film production takes time. Usually between two to three years. Bloodshot's first year already ended this when Eric Hessierer finished the scripts, and a director was signed on. Next year they film, and the year after is when marketing begins.

They haven't shown much about it, because there's nothing to show yet. We've got Ninjak vs coming soon, and a Quantum and Woody t.v. series set to begin filming after the Russo's are done with Infinity War. Not to mention Archer & Armstong, and Shadowman that are being developed in-house for feature films. Both of which already have directors signed on.

The soonest we'll get movies is maybe 2019, maybe. These things take time though. There will be delays. Just look up the development of Deadpool, seven year long process to get made, for an idea. These things take time. For now enjoy the quite. After Valiant starts getting exposure this place will be flooded with kids trying to pitch their "super cool extra awesome superhero" ideas, consisting of characters that are "completely original, but also a combination of Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Batman! With guns for hands!!!!"

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

SuperMage wrote:
paradise wrote:
I think there was a forum member with inside knowledge who told a different story. In one of the movie threads that pops up every month.

Apparently Bloodshot is far along in production. They're filming sometime next year. I think BetterthanEzra is the one with inside knowledge, but I wouldn't pressure anyone for more. It was nice enough to get confirmation of the schedule. Film production takes time. Usually between two to three years. Bloodshot's first year already ended this when Eric Hessierer finished the scripts, and a director was signed on. Next year they film, and the year after is when marketing begins.

They haven't shown much about it, because there's nothing to show yet. We've got Ninjak vs coming soon, and a Quantum and Woody t.v. series set to begin filming after the Russo's are done with Infinity War. Not to mention Archer & Armstong, and Shadowman that are being developed in-house for feature films. Both of which already have directors signed on.

The soonest we'll get movies is maybe 2019, maybe. These things take time though. There will be delays. Just look up the development of Deadpool, seven year long process to get made, for an idea. These things take time. For now enjoy the quite. After Valiant starts getting exposure this place will be flooded with kids trying to pitch their "super cool extra awesome superhero" ideas, consisting of characters that are "completely original, but also a combination of Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Batman! With guns for hands!!!!"
Called "Handgun"
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Funcha wrote:In five years could we see the modern Harbinger #1 as a $50 book? Will be interesting to see how pricing trends go over a decade of new Valiant.
I doubt it. There aren't many run collectors left in the hobby. It seems to me like Valiant has a disproportionately high number of gotta-have-them-all collectors, but maybe Ed or someone more in tune with the larger market can shed more light on that. I do think non-variant keys like Harbinger 3 will spike in value if the movies are a success and more comic readers/collectors start following Valiant. And of course the limited variants will skyrocket, especially for key issues.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

SuperMage wrote:
paradise wrote:

I think BetterthanEzra is the one with inside knowledge,
I don't have the inside connection I just pay attention to stuff...

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

IMJ wrote:
superman-prime wrote:i cound see netflix doing bloodshot although my personal choice would be eternal warrior through the times highlander style

Imagine the following that Ninjak done like Ninja Scroll, or Bloodshot done like Golgo-13 could garner.
I would love to see some Valiant in that anime style. I've seen both of the ones you cited and they are great comparisons.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

that would be great anime arks