Tips for Securing a valuable issue ?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BigRedSofa
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Batman
Favorite title: Batman
Favorite writer: Batman
Favorite artist: Batman
Tips for Securing a valuable issue ?

Post by BigRedSofa »

Hi !

I bought a real nice raw issue of Eternal Warrior 4
That i intend to pick up myself from the seller to save on shipping.

It is a copy I intend on gettinh graded at the next Montreal Comiccon

I was wondering how do you guys proceed to make sure it's safe & sound for transport ? I don't see myself leaving this by the passenger seat while I drive... Then once home, any special way you guys stash it while it patiently waits ?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Tips for Securing a valuable issue ?

Post by greg »

Probably the safest for a single issue would be to find a giant hardcover book at a discount book seller, something huge like a hardcover atlas or a visual history of deciduous trees or something. Then put the book in there, close it tight, and sit it flat on the seat next to you when driving. Hold it closed when carrying.
This kids hardcover book is 10"x12" and would probably keep a bagged and boarded comic flat inside.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222645268894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even better, buy a random cheap volume of the Gerber Photojournal Guide to Comic Books (10"x14") and use it as the "single comic holder". Then get artists attending the convention from some of those books to sign by their artwork.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332502701707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D

It's hard to beat MyLite2 and full boards for the "bagging and boarding" of a comic, but a regular poly bag and a couple of boards (or four boards, two over the front cover, two behind the back cover) makes a nice outer protection.

There are small boxes for carrying 15 comics or less around, but if you don't already have one, you might already be at the convention before you find one.
https://hotflips.com/product/mini-comic ... torage-box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't mind driving around with a nearly-full short box of other comics in my car, so I can stick important books in the center and stuff paper or something on the ends to keep the books from shifting.

Those are some ideas.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I like first ensure my comics are bagged and boarded, and prefer bags that leave little to no room for movement of the comic inside. For expensive issues, I tend to use a board on the front and the back of the comics. For transport, shipping, and such for a single issue, I would use two sheets of thick cardboard and sandwich the bagged/boarded comics between them, secured with painters tape, so that the odds of digs, bends, or whatever are SIGNIFICANTLY reduced to nearly zero.

At home, I store in long boxes on a shelf. However, any comic of high value or significance to me will typically be sent to CGC for grading and encapsulation. I store my graded books in the boxes that CGC sent me, since they work and I am too cheap to buy CGC style long boxes lol!

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Tough to add anything, when two of the top/best here already give you 99.9% of the answer.

About the only thing I could add is, if you do plan on submitting them at a Con, might I suggest a well padded back-pack to transport your books. I'd suggest you place your books in a portfolio similar to this https://www.valiantstore.com/valiant-un ... t-box.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as it should keep your book secure. I'd also say, depending on just how full that box might be, bring some bubble wrap. Use enough to ensure the book inside is stable. This may be over the top, but can you ever be too careful with your books?

You may be going big time, and you may be bringing in a short box full of books you want submitted. I have no experience doing that, as the most I've done at once is about 30 books. I'd suggest securing your short (or long) box to the dolly you plan on using, with bungie cords. This will keep your box snug to the pully system of choice.

Hope I've added at least something to the mix here
Moose

FlipMega
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: Ninjak vol. 1 #23
Favorite title: Harbinger, Imperium, Divinity
Favorite artist: Hairsine, Suayan, LaRosa

Post by FlipMega »

+1 for the folio this is a con essential for me. I wear a padded (for technology) messenger sling backpack from ogio and it's perfect pair with a single folio with room for other odds and ends you'd carry. As mentioned, more books equals more hauling power and you're talking dollys or roller luggage. Good luck with the grade!

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

This is the only way to safely transport Valiant Comics:

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/comic-book-s ... io-manowar
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Toploaders for stiff and lightweight protection. Your LCS prolly sells them singly. I would bag and board (Gerber mylar and fullbacks) before inserting.

Then maybe carry that around in something else for additional protection, like bubblewrap and a Priority Mail box. Those will give you lightweight protection.

onearmedwampa3000
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Mico Suyan

Post by onearmedwampa3000 »

greg wrote:Probably the safest for a single issue would be to find a giant hardcover book at a discount book seller, something huge like a hardcover atlas or a visual history of deciduous trees or something. Then put the book in there, close it tight, and sit it flat on the seat next to you when driving. Hold it closed when carrying.
This kids hardcover book is 10"x12" and would probably keep a bagged and boarded comic flat inside.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222645268894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No offense Greg, but I've done that, and if there is the smallest grain of sand or something similar in between 2 of the hundreds of pages in a big book like that, it will leave an impression on the comic and it will show it grading. It's happened to me. I just go comic bag with 2 or 3 boards and then into a hard plastic toploader.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

so how does everyone treat a freshly signed comic at a convention to avoid smearing and smudging?
***Support your local farmers!***

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

geocarr wrote:so how does everyone treat a freshly signed comic at a convention to avoid smearing and smudging?
Simply put, I slab them.

But if you are not a slabber, make sure they dry (bad experiences here), be careful about slipping them back in the plastic cover, then choose from above on your favorite way of storage.
Moose

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I use a bag/board with a pre-cut signature window, along with another board covering the front to minimize the potential for damage.

Once signed, I slide the whole thing (bagged, boarded, signed comic) into a top loader.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

DirtbagSailor wrote:I use a bag/board with a pre-cut signature window, along with another board covering the front to minimize the potential for damage.

Once signed, I slide the whole thing (bagged, boarded, signed comic) into a top loader.

^^^Good ish right here!
Moose

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

DirtbagSailor wrote:I use a bag/board with a pre-cut signature window, along with another board covering the front to minimize the potential for damage.

An interesting idea, a signature window for a protected book. And yes, top loaders are the way to go; they were designed for exactly this purpose.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

teh one thing i hate about cons at phx 2 times a year i buy a few short boxes of comics and exclusives as well as other stuff and in all the confusion i always have 1 or 2 dinged up its tough to keep them clean all the way back to the hotel parking
i normally use a rolling file cart and have a helper to run stuff to the truck any other ideas out there (hotels 11/2 mile away normally

BigRedSofa
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Batman
Favorite title: Batman
Favorite writer: Batman
Favorite artist: Batman

Post by BigRedSofa »

I Really like this idea very much I think i'll do that too, but i'll keep it in a Toploader until the signing. I'll just slide it back in after.
I also got MAD LOVE for the X-O Manowar Folio but.... it's really hard for me in Canada to find a good price on it.
By the way, thank you guys for all your suggestions !! You're all awesome and really helpful, i'm really glad I found some experienced collectors willing to show the ropes to newbies like me !