Bought some 90's issues (some Keys) How did I do ?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BigRedSofa
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Batman
Favorite title: Batman
Favorite writer: Batman
Favorite artist: Batman
Bought some 90's issues (some Keys) How did I do ?

Post by BigRedSofa »

I bought a couple of Valiant 90's issues at once, I listed them all below. Some keys amongst it, not all of em.
None of them are graded professionnally. I took a chance buying the lot, but judging with my poor experience they looked to be in a pretty good condition
(I don't mean "Good" on the grading scale). I wanted to have opinions, to know If I made a good deal or just... Meh..
I personnally think I did great :) ! But as a pretty open-minded guy, and open to criticism. I'm ready to get my hopes crushed if I was wrong :P

Here they are, they had individual prices but I got the price cut for the whole lot so I didn't bother tagging their prices. I paid 120$ CAD (96.31 $ USD) Shipping included.

Archer&Armstrong #0, #1
Bloodshot #1, #6
Eternal Warrior #1, #4, #5, #9
Harbinger #2
Magnus Robot Fighter #0, #2, #4, #5, #12
Rai #0, #6
Shadowman #1
Unity #0
X-O Manowar #1, #10

I intend to get some of em slabbed, all depending on how they will look like once I receive em. :hope: :hope: :hope:

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
Re: Bought some 90's issues (some Keys) How did I do ?

Post by geocarr »

BigRedSofa wrote:I paid 120$ CAD (96.31 $ USD) Shipping included.

Archer&Armstrong #0, #1
Bloodshot #1, #6
Eternal Warrior #1, #4, #5, #9
Harbinger #2
Magnus Robot Fighter #0, #2, #4, #5, #12
Rai #0, #6
Shadowman #1
Unity #0
X-O Manowar #1, #10
You got the 1st appearances of Archer & Armstrong, Ninjak, Bloodshot (cameo and 1st full), Rai, Turok (in Valiant), Shadowman (in costume), and Aric/X-O Manowar and your excited about it and happy! You did great!! :clap: :thumb: :high-five:
***Support your local farmers!***

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

very nice indeed :clap:

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

FMV of the comics if they are in nm is a good chunk over what you paid. Like geo said, you got first appearances of most all the major players. Good find!
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Summydad1
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

FMV of the comics if they are in nm is a good chunk over what you paid. Like geo said, you got first appearances of most all the major players. Good find!
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

BigRedSofa

Post by BigRedSofa »

:D :D :D YES !! It's a relief !

Now I only hope my eyes haven't tricked me and that they will be in great condition...

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Nice haul and a good price if the grade is there. A word of advice if you're gonna have them graded and slabbed: Get them pre-screened at the grade you will accept as your minimum. 9.8s are tough sometimes. You think you have a book that looks great but it could easily come back as 9.2.

A pre-screen means they won't slab them (saving you money) if they aren't all that you had hoped for.

BigRedSofa

Post by BigRedSofa »

jmatt wrote:Nice haul and a good price if the grade is there. A word of advice if you're gonna have them graded and slabbed: Get them pre-screened at the grade you will accept as your minimum. 9.8s are tough sometimes. You think you have a book that looks great but it could easily come back as 9.2.

A pre-screen means they won't slab them (saving you money) if they aren't all that you had hoped for.

Yeah I knew about this, though I didn't know it was called "Pre-screen", one more term in my comic vocabulary :P . But you made me wonder... Is there a way to tell them to press the comic if they think it could improve the grade, then slab it if it reaches my desired grade ?

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

BigRedSofa wrote:
jmatt wrote:Nice haul and a good price if the grade is there. A word of advice if you're gonna have them graded and slabbed: Get them pre-screened at the grade you will accept as your minimum. 9.8s are tough sometimes. You think you have a book that looks great but it could easily come back as 9.2.

Yeah I knew about this, though I didn't know it was called "Pre-screen", one more term in my comic vocabulary :P . But you made me wonder... Is there a way to tell them to press the comic if they think it could improve the grade, then slab it if it reaches my desired grade ?
Cleaning, pressing, and pre-screening are all your decisions to make. CGC and CBCS will only grade and slab or not slab.
***Support your local farmers!***

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

geocarr wrote:
BigRedSofa wrote:

Cleaning, pressing, and pre-screening are all your decisions to make. CGC and CBCS will only grade and slab or not slab.
CGC works with an outfit called CCS that will press books. So while I've never done it myself, I think it is possible to send them off to CGC and have them pressed before screening. I think.

BigRedSofa

Post by BigRedSofa »

Sweet !

Well i would guess they could manage to arrange something for you, given that you contact them ahead of time

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

nice grabs :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Hopefully your Harby and Magnus issues still have the coupons attached.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

jmatt wrote:
geocarr wrote:
BigRedSofa wrote:

CGC works with an outfit called CCS that will press books. So while I've never done it myself, I think it is possible to send them off to CGC and have them pressed before screening. I think.
Sofa,

Didn't catch exactly how you plan on submitting these, but yes, you can send them to CCS for pressing prior to them being slabbed. CGC has a working contract with CCS (they probably own them) where the books get cleaned/pressed, then go directly to CGC for slabbing. The great news is, even if you are at a Con, and you get CGC to witness a signature, then want to get it pressed, CGC still counts it as Witnessed (vs verified or anything else) and you will get the yellow label.

Oddly, I've been thinking that these two businesses HAVE to be in the same building, because there is no shipment costs between the two. Just shipping to CCS, Pressing fees, Slabbing fees, and shipping home (from what I can remember).
Moose