VALIANT SOLD

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: VALIANT SOLD

Post by TheFerg714 »

jakgrimm wrote:I have to agree with valiantdude. Something was missing. The decompressed story telling and plot holes, ugh. Lack of continuity is a hallmark of bad writing and or editing. I understand most books today are decompressed (or uncompressed) but Valiant of the 90s did everything differently. Why couldn't the valiant of 2012? People might have flocked to a company that was giving them more bang for their buck. Instead we got Gilad firing double uzis out of a moon roof (while driving) and not having fought in any war for the last fifty years.
But VEI DID do things differently. Their books don't feel like modern Marvel or DC books. Particularly with artists like Mico, LaRosa, Crain, Braithwaite, and Giorello, you can see a clearly different style from every other superhero book on the stands. Valiant's storytelling is more bombastic, yet also more introspective, and has a much tighter continuity that DC or Marvel these days. Just because it's not like it was in the 90's doesn't mean it's not different.
Every VEI book was better than Unity and Solar 1-10? Seriously? lol
Not sure if you're referencing my post or not, but I never said or implied that.

However, I would say that Harbinger, Venditti's X-O (1-13), A&A, Imperium, Divinity, Bloodshot Reborn, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, Kindt's X-O, Harbinger Wars, To Kill a King, Armor Hunters, and The Valiant give them a run for their money.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

at least some things got reprinted before dinesh was out..like the shadowman vh2 trade w deadside..no one with $$ in their eyes would reprint that..
other books too..
I hope the unity HC or whatever it was still comes out..

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

TheFerg714 wrote:
jakgrimm wrote:I have to agree with valiantdude. Something was missing. The decompressed story telling and plot holes, ugh. Lack of continuity is a hallmark of bad writing and or editing. I understand most books today are decompressed (or uncompressed) but Valiant of the 90s did everything differently. Why couldn't the valiant of 2012? People might have flocked to a company that was giving them more bang for their buck. Instead we got Gilad firing double uzis out of a moon roof (while driving) and not having fought in any war for the last fifty years.
But VEI DID do things differently. Their books don't feel like modern Marvel or DC books. Particularly with artists like Mico, LaRosa, Crain, Braithwaite, and Giorello, you can see a clearly different style from every other superhero book on the stands. Valiant's storytelling is more bombastic, yet also more introspective, and has a much tighter continuity that DC or Marvel these days. Just because it's not like it was in the 90's doesn't mean it's not different.
Every VEI book was better than Unity and Solar 1-10? Seriously? lol
Not sure if you're referencing my post or not, but I never said or implied that.

However, I would say that Harbinger, Venditti's X-O (1-13), A&A, Imperium, Divinity, Bloodshot Reborn, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, Kindt's X-O, Harbinger Wars, To Kill a King, Armor Hunters, and The Valiant give them a run for their money.
Yeah but they still made comics for comic buyers, marvel and DC just totally suck..they may have doNE something different than the big 2, but they didnt bring anything new to the medium, which is what it takes to bring in people that don't buy comics, hence the whole reason the comic market is going down in sales..my neighbor is a pro, he's worked for most all the companies..he says things are not good in the comic world...

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Just wanted to share a run of tweets from some of the Valiant creative talent happening recently on twitter for those who may not have seen it:

I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Anyone notice Dinesh deleted his Shooter quote?

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I have much love for Mico and Dysart.
Dmg Valiant needs to nake an announcment
I Miss the good old days.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

nonplayer wrote:Dmg Valiant needs to nake an announcment
SERIOUSLY!

I really would like to hear from Warren, Matt Kindt, and of course Dinesh as well.

It's really sad to hear that Mico's "less enthused" about his work. He's one of the best in the industry, and I would hate to have his talents squandered.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

valiantdude wrote:at least some things got reprinted before dinesh was out..like the shadowman vh2 trade w deadside..no one with $$ in their eyes would reprint that..
other books too..
I hope the unity HC or whatever it was still comes out..
I thought the VH2 Shadowman trade was quite good. I'm also hoping they do manage to get the Unity HC (or whatever) released; but I'm also hoping the Ninjak Omnibus truly is released next month.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
VALIANT SOLD

Post by AnarchoMambo »

So why can’t we just petition DMG to make Dinesh vice-President of something?

No really, why not?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Somewhere in all these threads I saw someone talking about the original DMG cash infusion... something about the agreement being that VEI had to find an additional financial backer at that same level of dollars or DMG would have the right to purchase the remaining portion of the company.

Do I have that right? Do we know this to be true? If so, does anyone have more details?

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Man those tweets by the VEI creators really sting.

I'm similar to you, Ferg, I'm not much of a '90s Valiant fan. I mean I like the pre-Unity stuff just fine, but I'm not in love with it they way I love VEI. I feel like VEI got everything right. The comics are much more sophisticated in art and story than the '90s books. And I really appreciate that it's all original characters. It's consistency is what I loved most, tbh.

I agree that all the major characters are probably safe and will continue being published, X-O, Harbinger, Shadowman, Bloodshot, Ninjak. But I really do wonder if we'll ever see more Britannia, Savage or Imperium. Or any 4001AD titles.

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

AnarchoMambo
VALIANT SOLD

Post by AnarchoMambo »

jmatt wrote:Somewhere in all these threads I saw someone talking about the original DMG cash infusion... something about the agreement being that VEI had to find an additional financial backer at that same level of dollars or DMG would have the right to purchase the remaining portion of the company.

Do I have that right? Do we know this to be true? If so, does anyone have more details?
So we could divert all the loads of moolah we’ve been spending on comics into an LLC started by jmatt which is really a front for a corporate bailout of the DMG deal? I like it, it sounds like a Fred Van Lente book. And I half-expect DBS has been working on this since yesterday, and should be laying out the terms of a potential deal to the rest of us any minute now!
Last edited by AnarchoMambo on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:34:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnarchoMambo
VALIANT SOLD

Post by AnarchoMambo »

But also, why not get all of our e-signatures on a form that says we will never buy anything from Valiant again unless Dinesh is made VP of something, hmm?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

AnarchoMambo wrote:But also, why not get all of our e-signatures on a form that says we will never buy anything from Valiant again unless Dinesh is made VP of something, hmm?
You got the wrong guy, pal! :lol:

murrayroach
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by murrayroach »

One thing - and with all the posts going on folks will miss it - BUT - as a guy who has been packaged out in my career the legal terms generally dictate that you can't say much of anything. Mine indicated I could share details with "my spouse, accountant, and legal counsel" and no one else or I would face legal action from my former company.

So, Dinesh very likely can't say anything and I don't blame him. Just something else to keep in mind as you wonder why he hasn't spoken.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

grendeljd wrote:Just wanted to share a run of tweets from some of the Valiant creative talent happening recently on twitter for those who may not have seen it:

Damn... facepalm
#StayValiant

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Thanks for the tweets, grendeljd! My Twitter expulsion is killing me right now.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

jakgrimm
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jakgrimm »

Hi Ferg. I guess I was referring to your post when you said:

"I'm only saying that VEI made better books than VH1 ever did."

That's a pretty heavy statement considering Unity and Solar 1-10 (and Psilords haha)
Time to take a dump. -Torque

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

jakgrimm wrote:Hi Ferg. I guess I was referring to your post when you said:

"I'm only saying that VEI made better books than VH1 ever did."

That's a pretty heavy statement considering Unity and Solar 1-10 (and Psilords haha)
Oh ok, I see. I wasn't saying that every VEI book was better than Solar 1-10 or Unity, only that VEI has made better books as a whole than VH1.

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

Gotcha. No problem. I cannot agree but I see what you are saying
Time to take a dump. -Torque

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

jmatt wrote:Somewhere in all these threads I saw someone talking about the original DMG cash infusion... something about the agreement being that VEI had to find an additional financial backer at that same level of dollars or DMG would have the right to purchase the remaining portion of the company.

I'm trying to find the article I saw that in... FOUND IT! From this article: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/29 ... y-valiant/
...the buyer being Chinese investment firm DMG Entertainment, originally set up in partnership with the Chinese government. Their acquisition of a minority share a few years ago was big news, but as they have stepped up to majority investor and now sole owner after triggering a contractual clause for full ownership, after Valiant were unable to find anyone to match their deal.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

boilingchill
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by boilingchill »

agent_graves wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Just wanted to share a run of tweets from some of the Valiant creative talent happening recently on twitter for those who may not have seen it:

Damn... facepalm
Not that it's anything new but these tweets just show how much of a visionary Dinesh is. That vision was shared by the creators and it showed in the books. I'm hoping the new masters will not deviate from this path. :hope:
I'm not holding my breath though. :cry:

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

boilingchill wrote:
agent_graves wrote:

Damn... facepalm
Not that it's anything new but these tweets just show how much of a visionary Dinesh is. That vision was shared by the creators and it showed in the books. I'm hoping the new masters will not deviate from this path. :hope:
Unfortunately you dont get forced resignation because the company is doing well . This vision wasnt making enough money.
I Miss the good old days.

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

nonplayer wrote:
boilingchill wrote:
agent_graves wrote:

Damn... facepalm
Unfortunately you dont get forced resignation because the company is doing well . This vision wasnt making enough money.
I agree with you here. I think that while Dino was an amazing visionary, he didn't have the expediency with his vision to generate investor confidence. Unfortunately, Ninjak Vs. is an example of this as Dino had a direct hand in teh project.

While I understand that making something perfect would be ideal, in a corporate setting there is the point where the project is good enough to release as opposed to perfect.

On a personal note though, I will keep following Dinesh as I want to see what his next project is.
This is what happens when you try to work...

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

non player wrote:
We all appreciate Dinesh and what VEI has done. We've all been a bit shell shocked.

How often have many of us said something to the effect: Just publishing 9 books a month isn't cutting it

Now I'm sure there were financial limitations that caused that limit of 9 to exist but a deeper market push was needed and 6 variants per issue were not the answer either. It doesn't seem like DMG is going to immediately care/focus on the publishing side so this "9 title" rule may not go anywhere immediately.
There are too many titles they could be producing, that they weren't and for me that is a problem.

Where is my H.A.R.D. Corps ongoing?
No news of a Brittania followup or Savage?
Why no Dr. Mirage followups?
Rai is on hiatus why?
Winter is half over and still no Psi-Lords? I'm very curious about this potential project.

Maybe Dinesh can join up with Mike Richardson at Dark Horse now. I'd love to see a concerted effort with their Super Hero characters.