VALIANT SOLD

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: VALIANT SOLD

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

kinggirlfriend wrote:I get that everything is a business and profits etc, etc. But they'd be better off investing in property if they're that money hungry. Comics aren't ever going to be a big money maker. Especially a smaller company like Valiant. No one gets into comics for the money. They get into it for the love of the medium.

DMG should be happy that there was a very loyal base that bought almost everything Valiant put out. I feel like that was lost on them. But they've already set a crummy tone and are at risk of putting us all off.

THEY CAN MAKE IT ALL UP BY RELEASING A LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER HC COLLECTION RIGHT AWAY!

sorry for shouting.
Yeah if there was ever a time to break the promise of 'it'll never be printed again' now's the time. See something good will come out of this after all...

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Wow, take a couple of days off and come back to this news. At first I thought it must be a joke, but when I saw how many pages the thread had, I dreaded clicking on it. Going to take awhile to process all of this.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Wow, take a couple of days off and come back to this news. At first I thought it must be a joke, but when I saw how many pages the thread had, I dreaded clicking on it. Going to take awhile to process all of this.
slowing down in your old age DJ... :wink:

sh!t blew up fast...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

jxm640 wrote:
paradise wrote:
pixierosa wrote:I keep seeing comments like this was all Dinesh's fault for a poor business choice, when in reality, this seems more like a betrayal.
Honestly, while I do understand how this can be seen as a betrayal (and definitely is in terms of how this was done [at least from what I can gather here]), the business man in me understands the drive for profit that the other parties have.

While you, fortunately (thanks for sharing what you can), can get one side of the story, there are always three sides to every story.

Those are:
Party One
Party Two
And the Truth

I apologise if this sounds wrong in any way.

Once again, thank you for sharing what you can.
Nothing I have seen in print tells the real story. They are all lawyer approved statements that avoid the truth at all costs. Years from now, we will all find out the whole story. It always comes out
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Sooooooo..... I haven't really read up much on this. Is Dino out completely? Why wouldn't the acquiring company do everything possible to retain the heart and soul of the present incarnation of Valiant? I mean..... I get needing the investment to continue operations, but there's no one else alive who cares about the characters more.

Is this just like acclaim buying out the orig valiant?
ASM Crossover Home

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

400yrs wrote:Is this just like acclaim buying out the orig valiant?
Definitely how it feels to me, regardless of the fact of the matter. Mintz wants to expand the screen-based media output (+ "theme parks"), but has expressed no interest in expanding the paper-based output. Interesting approach to running a COMIC BOOK company. :?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Definitely how it feels to me, regardless of the fact of the matter. Mintz wants to expand the screen-based media output (+ "theme parks"), but has expressed no interest in expanding the paper-based output. Interesting approach to running a COMIC BOOK company. :?
Just like Acclaim execs, he does not see the comic book company, but a portfolio of IPs. Some people are doomed to repeat the past.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

murrayroach
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by murrayroach »

paradise wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Just like Acclaim execs, he does not see the comic book company, but a portfolio of IPs. Some people are doomed to repeat the past.
Yep. Sadly, the IP has "the potential" to be worth more than the comics. The Walt Disney annual report is 104 pages long. The phrase "Marvel" appears 12 times, all of which are in reference to the properties. The word comics - appears once, in the phrase "decrease in sales of books and comics." And we all know - Disney publishes a ton of books. The comic characters are IP - it's just how it is.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

murrayroach wrote:
paradise wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Yep. Sadly, the IP has "the potential" to be worth more than the comics. The Walt Disney annual report is 104 pages long. The phrase "Marvel" appears 12 times, all of which are in reference to the properties. The word comics - appears once, in the phrase "decrease in sales of books and comics." And we all know - Disney publishes a ton of books. The comic characters are IP - it's just how it is.
And this is exactly why my hopes for Valiant in the future are at an all-time low. I've basically already resigned to my intuitive notion that the company probably has less than five years left in it :(

I really don't think that, without incredibly costly marketing, Valiant as a company or any of its IPs have enough popularity to become a mainstream success at this point in time, and so my prediction is that DMG will try to milk a few of the IPs without understanding what they're really about and make poor decisions on what would be best done with them, and once they've failed to earn significant return on their investments they'll either sell VEI on or dissolve it, as I can't believe that the execs with the money in their pockets care enough about Valiant to develop it properly over the long term, which is what I believe it'd take to get the company/IP to 'household name' level - at which point expansion into other media may be more likely to be successful. I think DMG will be more likely to cut their losses early.

My hopes in an ideal world would be that somehow the new aquisition works out and the company expands so that we've got Valiant media to enjoy far into the future, but I just can't see it happening.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

The thing I cannot fathom, is the 9 figure deal done previously.
Who the hell pays $100 000 000 for less than 50% of company that has about 1% market share.

Dino not being a player in the future, even of just the comic book front. Cutting off your nose, because you don't want something to hold your glasses on ~ because you just got contact lenses. Stupid.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Phantom wrote:The thing I cannot fathom, is the 9 figure deal done previously.
Who the hell pays $100 000 000 for less than 50% of company that has about 1% market share.
Someone who already had a premeditated plan to buy the company later on so they get their money back plus any additional money they or the company is able to make in or after the acquisition.
***Support your local farmers!***

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

geocarr wrote:
Someone who already had a premeditated plan to buy the company later on so they get their money back plus any additional money they or the company is able to make in or after the acquisition.
There is still boobies to look forward to. :?
:offtopic: :kidaround:
I Miss the good old days.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Shadowman99 wrote:
murrayroach wrote:
paradise wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
And this is exactly why my hopes for Valiant in the future are at an all-time low. I've basically already resigned to my intuitive notion that the company probably has less than five years left in it :(

I really don't think that, without incredibly costly marketing, Valiant as a company or any of its IPs have enough popularity to become a mainstream success at this point in time, and so my prediction is that DMG will try to milk a few of the IPs without understanding what they're really about and make poor decisions on what would be best done with them, and once they've failed to earn significant return on their investments they'll either sell VEI on or dissolve it, as I can't believe that the execs with the money in their pockets care enough about Valiant to develop it properly over the long term, which is what I believe it'd take to get the company/IP to 'household name' level - at which point expansion into other media may be more likely to be successful. I think DMG will be more likely to cut their losses early.

My hopes in an ideal world would be that somehow the new aquisition works out and the company expands so that we've got Valiant media to enjoy far into the future, but I just can't see it happening.
Shadow...

I tend to agree with all of it.

Hard enough for a Passionate fan (Dino) to spread the word and get new customers. Day in and day out that boy busted his *SQUEE* for the vision of Valiant. What does DMG care about the characters? What makes anyone think that they can do better? Only thing I got is a bigger staff and more money. That does not equal passion or understanding of the Valiant world.

Prove me wrong DMG... Prove me wrong!

PS.. On a side note... Anyone willing to give up/sell their slabs... Hit me up. Ummmm... I would just use them for kindling.

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bixmanj
paulsmith56 is my hero
paulsmith56 is my hero

Post by Bixmanj »

I only started reading Valiant about 2 years ago so I definitely don't have the PTSD that some of you older fans must have but it's been a strange week. It's not going to keep me from buying and reading the stuff that interests me and hopefully DMG recognizes that while not incredibly profitable compared to movies, the comic side of the business still serves as an important part of company synergy.

Hopefully in a few years time we still get great arcs, combined with new characters and the beginning of a successful film series.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

Dino not being a player in the future, even of just the comic book front. Cutting off your nose, because you don't want something to hold your glasses on ~ because you just got contact lenses. Stupid.
Shared Universe were the hot thing back than.

http://www.tracking-board.com/valiant-e ... n-opinion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

http://www.tracking-board.com/valiant-e ... n-opinion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An opinion piece by an industry insider.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

David_Cody wrote:http://www.tracking-board.com/valiant-e ... n-opinion/

An opinion piece by an industry insider.
Good piece - but theres one little fact at the end that is not correct at all. He mentions that Eric Heisserer is backing out of Valiant & that is not true. According to Eric himself on Twitter after someone asked him about that, he said he is not dropping his work with Valiant. He did also say that without Dinesh around, he is more concerned about the direction the company will take from here on out.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Well, this is the quote that has people worried. Let's tease it apart.

“I am not looking on expanding from a publishing standpoint but from a motion picture standpoint,” but he also said, “You can expect more strong storytelling with a defined road to other platforms. I’m also looking forward to bringing the writers close to the filmmaking process, which is something that is also important, and not keeping them siloed into the comic book area.”

Not expanding from a publishing standpoint but from a motion picture standpoint. Sounds kinda scary for Valiant readers. But I parse it as this: He's not interested in creating new characters that don't have movie/media potential. That's a little limiting on the publishing side, so maybe we won't see more Britannia style books.

But on the other hand, who doesn't want characters and content that will more readily acceptable to the masses via other media forms? He's not saying new content is out, just that it will be geared toward moving on to bigger things.

"...more strong storytelling..." Sounds good to me. Doesn't sound like he's giving up on quality comic books.

"...bringing the writers close to the filmmaking process, which is something that is also important, and not keeping them siloed into the comic book area.”

That, to me, sounds like more Heisserers. People have been pretty happy with Secret Weapons. Matt Kindt and the other writers might be excited at the prospect of being brought closer to the screen writing process.

Not being a corporate shill, here. Just trying to be a 'glass half full' guy.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

If I was a writer...

The prospect of expanding my audience to perhaps a billion people with a well-made film would seem quite appealing.

geocarr
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

VEI's website still list Dinesh as CEO and CCO on the "Management Team" page within "About" at
http://valiantentertainment.com/about-u ... ment-team/
I can't help it but this still bothers me so much and I've thought it about it every day since the news broke last Monday morning. :cry: :mad:
***Support your local farmers!***

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

This news was stunning...just....and while I understand the business aspects and still hope things develop well with the characters & movies I have feelings of loss for Dino.

From my early days on this board when we just wanted Valiant stories again, his passion & dedication to the brand have always been unequaled....except perhaps by Greg for creating this website.
Last edited by hulk181man on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:56:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

geocarr wrote:VEI's website still list Dinesh as CEO and CCO on the "Management Team" page within "About" at
http://valiantentertainment.com/about-u ... ment-team/
I can't help it but this still bothers me so much and I've thought it about it every day since the news broke last Monday morning. :cry: :mad:
In the Navy, we change our Commanding Officer every 18 months.

When we make the change, a Plan of Action and Milestones is created, with every possible administrative item listed; including the person responsible to ensure each occurs.

One of those items is updating all websites and social media immediately (as in the same day) as to correctly reflect the new management structure.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

DirtbagSailor wrote:One of those items is updating all websites and social media immediately (as in the same day) as to correctly reflect the new management structure.
I'm not exactly expecting military precision in any of this. :P

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

As an IP professional, I cringe at the use of the word in this context. What is planned to be exploited are the characters and stories. Dmg isn't looking to separate the two. Think character driven stories versus pure merchandise. When was the last time you saw a Betty Book movie or story, versus Betty Book merchandise.

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Sven the Returned wrote:

Shared Universe were the hot thing back than.

Thank for the link, good opinion articale.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.