The DMG Buyout: A New Fan's Perspective

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
The DMG Buyout: A New Fan's Perspective

Post by TheFerg714 »

I hesitate to create a whole thread just to vent, but I haven't really seen my side of the story shown by anyone else yet.

I'm not a Valiant loyalist. I don't particularly like or care about the 90's stuff. I read pre-Unity, Unity, and (soon) A&A, and I'm good.

However, I love VEI and Dinesh. I couldn't have asked for a better superhero publisher when I first got into them in 2014. Yea, they've had their fair share of ups and downs, but even when things were bleak, I always felt like Valiant had the fans and character's best interests at heart.

Now, with Dinesh gone, I'm struggling with whether I even want to continue on after Harbinger Wars II. I don't have some emotional connection with the characters. I'm more interested in the universe as a whole, and how these characters and concepts bounce off eachother. VEI made a fan out of me by simply making high-quality books. I'm interested and invested in the art of creating a shared universe that feels connected, while also having every title feel like a wholly new creative venture for the company.

So without Dinesh, is VEI even the company that I grew to love and trust over the last 4 years? And if it's not, why not just cut these 6 books out of my pull and pick up more indies or DC titles? These are the questions I will be constantly asking myself for the next few months (because I'm an obsessive weirdo).
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: The DMB Buyout: A New Fan's Perspective

Post by lorddunlow »

Wait... Dave Matthews Band bought VEI??

NEVER TRUST AFRIKAANERS

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin
Re: The DMG Buyout: A New Fan's Perspective

Post by OhioValiantNut »

TheFerg714 wrote: I don't particularly like or care about the 90's stuff.
:bigeyes: facepalm
"Dear Universe, you will deliver unto me a Bloodshot Platinum Error for under $1000!!!"

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

OhioValiantNut wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote: I don't particularly like or care about the 90's stuff.
:bigeyes: facepalm
But that was Dave Matthews' golden era...

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Ask yourself this: Would I have left when Stan Lee wasn't in charge?
Would I have left when Julie Schwartz wasn't in charge?

Some visionary is always leaving or being asked to leave at some point.

Where is your investment, the characters and their future potential or just the potential of the characters from one person?

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Captain Craig wrote:Ask yourself this: Would I have left when Stan Lee wasn't in charge?

Where is your investment, the characters and their future potential or just the potential of the characters from one person?
I fully understand the logic of your point but right now it's a very fresh wound. I need more time.
***Support your local farmers!***

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

geocarr wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:Ask yourself this: Would I have left when Stan Lee wasn't in charge?

I fully understand the logic of your point but right now it's a very fresh wound. I need more time.
+1,000,000,000,000,000

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

TheFerg714 wrote:I hesitate to create a whole thread just to vent, but I haven't really seen my side of the story shown by anyone else yet.

I'm not a Valiant loyalist. I don't particularly like or care about the 90's stuff. I read pre-Unity, Unity, and (soon) A&A, and I'm good.

However, I love VEI and Dinesh. I couldn't have asked for a better superhero publisher when I first got into them in 2014. Yea, they've had their fair share of ups and downs, but even when things were bleak, I always felt like Valiant had the fans and character's best interests at heart.

Now, with Dinesh gone, I'm struggling with whether I even want to continue on after Harbinger Wars II. I don't have some emotional connection with the characters. I'm more interested in the universe as a whole, and how these characters and concepts bounce off eachother. VEI made a fan out of me by simply making high-quality books. I'm interested and invested in the art of creating a shared universe that feels connected, while also having every title feel like a wholly new creative venture for the company.

So without Dinesh, is VEI even the company that I grew to love and trust over the last 4 years? And if it's not, why not just cut these 6 books out of my pull and pick up more indies or DC titles? These are the questions I will be constantly asking myself for the next few months (because I'm an obsessive weirdo).
How about this question to ask yourself. Would Dinesh want the fans to quit and by that act help create the worst possible situation, the end of his own dream of Valiant characters in print? I know the answer, btw, asked him today. HE DOES NOT. He wants Valiant to succeed, and it has nothing to do with how it ended for HIM, but with what this means for the people still working there, their families, and all the fans who waited patiently for the characters to come back. I don't understand this whole "I may just quit" thinking before you even see any changes, positive or negative. It's the WORST THING IN THE WORLD you can do to Dinesh and his amazing legacy.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin

Post by OhioValiantNut »

paradise wrote:How about this question to ask yourself. Would Dinesh want the fans to quit and by that act help create the worst possible situation, the end of his own dream of Valiant characters in print? I know the answer, btw, asked him today. HE DOES NOT. He wants Valiant to succeed, and it has nothing to do with how it ended for HIM, but with what this means for the people still working there, their families, and all the fans who waited patiently for the characters to come back. I don't understand this whole "I may just quit" thinking before you even see any changes, positive or negative. It's the WORST THING IN THE WORLD you can do to Dinesh and his amazing legacy.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm not giving up my Ninjak, Eternal Warrior, or Bloodshot!

I'll still be buying!
"Dear Universe, you will deliver unto me a Bloodshot Platinum Error for under $1000!!!"

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

paradise wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:I hesitate to create a whole thread just to vent, but I haven't really seen my side of the story shown by anyone else yet.

How about this question to ask yourself. Would Dinesh want the fans to quit and by that act help create the worst possible situation, the end of his own dream of Valiant characters in print? I know the answer, btw, asked him today. HE DOES NOT. He wants Valiant to succeed, and it has nothing to do with how it ended for HIM, but with what this means for the people still working there, their families, and all the fans who waited patiently for the characters to come back. I don't understand this whole "I may just quit" thinking before you even see any changes, positive or negative. It's the WORST THING IN THE WORLD you can do to Dinesh and his amazing legacy.
Well I've decided that I'm going to try what happens next, but they obviously have large shoes to fill.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
paradise wrote:

Well I've decided that I'm going to try what happens next, but they obviously have large shoes to fill.
I'm with you on this one. Going to keep a careful eye on the comics over the next year or two and make decisions based on whether I'm enjoying the comics or not. Simple.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t