Sony Stock Soars Amid Investor Speculation (Film, TV)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Sony Stock Soars Amid Investor Speculation (Film, TV)

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Sony Stock Soars Amid Investor Speculation That Film, TV Business Might Wind Up On The Block

From: http://deadline.com/2018/02/sony-stock- ... 202277362/

Sony Corp. stock soared today following the news that Chief Executive Kaz Hirai is stepping down from the helm of the Japanese corporation, to be succeeded by Chief Financial Officer Kenichiro Yoshida.

Wall Street observers say the stock movement is a sign of investor speculation that this changing of the guard might open the door to a sale of Sony’s entertainment assets. Sony’s stock closed at $51.99 Friday, rising 6% in the day’s trading at a time when the markets tanked.

However, insiders at the studio say they see no evidence of a shifting corporate strategy under Hirai’s No. 2. Sony will continue to look for opportunities to grow its film and television business, whether through acquisition or merger, sources say. There’s been no discussion of a sale.

Hirai, an executive who got his start at Sony Music and ran Sony’s PlayStation group before claiming the top job in Tokyo, has been a fierce advocate for Sony’s entertainment business.

As recently as last month, Hirai spoke to Bloomberg Television about wanting to be a buyer in the wave of consolidation sweeping through the industry. Though Sony lost out on 21st Century Fox’s film and television assets, he underscored the importance of taking whatever steps were necessary for the company to remain in control of its own fate.

Hirai plans to remain involved in Sony’s entertainment business as chairman, sources said, providing his advice and expertise for this one part of the Tokyo conglomerate’s business where Yoshida lacks experience.

Still, Yoshida is a numbers guy with a more cautious outlook. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, he said he sees Sony as a technology company — and one that should keep consumer electronics at its core.

Those in the U.S. who know Yoshida describe him as a pragmatic businessman who doesn’t regard any part of Sony’s business as a sacred cow. That’s what has triggered speculation that he might be open to selling — just as former General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt shed the company’s media unit to bring GE back to its industrial core.

Said one industry observer: “Kaz was not interested in selling and Yoshida is really not too keen on the entertainment business so everyone (is speculating) that Sony is ready for a sale.”

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Sony Stock Soars Amid Investor Speculation (Film, TV)

Post by BugsySig »

Saw this story yesterday and meant to post it. Doesn’t sound good for those Sony Valiant films.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:Saw this story yesterday and meant to post it. Doesn’t sound good for those Sony Valiant films.
Unless Disney buys them and we get Marvel vs. Valiant Universe.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Saw this story yesterday and meant to post it. Doesn’t sound good for those Sony Valiant films.

Would movie rights transfer with a sale? One might think there's a clause that says no.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Would movie rights transfer with a sale? One might think there's a clause that says no.
Whether the rights transfer to whomever buys Sony Studios or not, it’s bad news for VALIANT films there. One can imagine any preproduction coming to a standstill. Anything that might have seen the light of day in the next year, may not be seen for years now. Or ever. If the rights transfer, who’s to say the new ownership would make the same movies? If they don’t, how long could it take to find a new studio that is interested?

Doesn’t mean we won’t still see films, but anything at Sony has to be up in the air right now.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

The film business is so fickle. It's really hard to say how this will affect things, although, I'm inclined to think it's not great.

I worked in film & TV production in NYC for roughly 6 years (granted that was a decade ago) and saw first hand how difficult it was to get films produced even by established directors. Richard Linklater has often discussed this. Even once financing has been pulled together, it takes a long time. I was on a small (and terrible) film that had solid financing with 1 name actress. That actress pulled out a day or two before shooting and the financing was about to pulled when they got a lesser known but recognizable actress.

Of course, I'd love to see some Valiant characters on the big screen, so I'm hopefully it will eventually happen.
Multum In Parvo

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

If Valiant-DMG still maintain control over the projects, with Sony as distribution partner (which I think is the case). Hopefully, DMG can leverage their connections with China, or even Netflix/Amazon, in order to get this film released.

I know that this news hurts the film, since pre-production is probably on a reduced schedule (a complete halt seems unlikely), but it could also allow the DMG team to formulate their own plan for the universe.

However, the zeitgeist of Superheroes, in my opinion, has reached saturation point in the cinema. I am hopeful that Valiant-DMG will bring something new to the table, especially as Fox, the most innovative of the Superhero movie studios has just sold it's lot to Disney (who will homogenise the X-Men).
This is what happens when you try to work...

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

jxm640 wrote:However, the zeitgeist of Superheroes, in my opinion, has reached saturation point in the cinema. I am hopeful that Valiant-DMG will bring something new to the table, especially as Fox, the most innovative of the Superhero movie studios has just sold it's lot to Disney (who will homogenise the X-Men).
I figure we won't know when the time for superhero movies is past... until it's past. But to each their own. As for Fox, I suppose you could call them innovative. As a long time fan of the X-men, I liked some of what they did, but also disliked a lot too. And Fox made me glad to not be a fan of the Fantastic Four. If what they did to the FF was innovation, I'll gladly try some homogenization please.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

This popped up in my twitter feed - https://twitter.com/evanrachelwood/stat ... 5451126784

Evan Rachel Wood says, "You guys dont even know how many amazing movies with amazing actors never get made. If you knew about half of the *SQUEE* that doesnt make it off the ground or the actors' that people dont consider "valuable" enough to get the film financed. You would literally cry."

While it won't literally make me cry, I'm sad the world will never see Jodorowsky's Dune or a book of the story boards as it is a licensing nightmare.

Over a decade ago, I saw a draft screenplay for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. It's one of my all-time favorite novels so I have mixed feelings on if I want to see it actually made but I would definitely go see it. Over the years, it's had name directors attached but just can't get made.

One thought I had is that with all the Chinese investment, what if Valiant movies were made in Hong Kong. That would surely be a different spin.
Multum In Parvo

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by jxm640 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
jxm640 wrote:However, the zeitgeist of Superheroes, in my opinion, has reached saturation point in the cinema. I am hopeful that Valiant-DMG will bring something new to the table, especially as Fox, the most innovative of the Superhero movie studios has just sold it's lot to Disney (who will homogenise the X-Men).
I figure we won't know when the time for superhero movies is past... until it's past. But to each their own. As for Fox, I suppose you could call them innovative. As a long time fan of the X-men, I liked some of what they did, but also disliked a lot too. And Fox made me glad to not be a fan of the Fantastic Four. If what they did to the FF was innovation, I'll gladly try some homogenization please.
I agree with you that some of their output has been god awful. However, at least they tried to do something different.

@The Dirt Gang: You have sold me on the HK Cinema Valiant Universe. The action would be great.
This is what happens when you try to work...

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

The Dirt Gang wrote:This popped up in my twitter feed - https://twitter.com/evanrachelwood/stat ... 5451126784

Evan Rachel Wood says, "You guys dont even know how many amazing movies with amazing actors never get made. If you knew about half of the *SQUEE* that doesnt make it off the ground or the actors' that people dont consider "valuable" enough to get the film financed. You would literally cry."

While it won't literally make me cry, I'm sad the world will never see Jodorowsky's Dune or a book of the story boards as it is a licensing nightmare.

Over a decade ago, I saw a draft screenplay for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. It's one of my all-time favorite novels so I have mixed feelings on if I want to see it actually made but I would definitely go see it. Over the years, it's had name directors attached but just can't get made.

One thought I had is that with all the Chinese investment, what if Valiant movies were made in Hong Kong. That would surely be a different spin.
If we are talking Hong Kong an original screenplay probably counts just as much as Vaiant IP. Also it would be watered down targeting the mainland Chinese market.

The only HK comic book adaptation i watched.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482930/?re ... lmg_act_35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was goofy but enjoyable.