Valiant’s Harbinger Wars 2 Moves to Six Issues

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Re: Valiant’s Harbinger Wars 2 Moves to Six Issues

Post by agent_graves »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Word via bleeding cool is EH is done writing for VEI as of the DMG purchase. So the prelude is based on his one finished script and the rest is now being written by Kindt. So no more 2-front storytelling as was originally planned.
Yep. Here's the story link - confirming Eric has bowed out early because of DMG. It also specifically re-affirms that the 4 original issues were going to be extra long at no extra cost. So yes, it is both a move to react to the loss of Eric & likely a profit grab move from DMG.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/17 ... er-wars-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The dominos are falling, things will continue to change. This one though, rather unfortunate because Secret Weapons under Eric’s pen was/is something special, this guy’s character moments are flawless. And he loves Livewire, I just knew she’d be getting a solo after HW2, the way he championed her to the company. No #0 issue for Avi now... facepalm
#StayValiant

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Has it occurred to anyone that this 'event' is going to last 5 months in real time?

Personally I think events ought to be massive in terms of plot scope, but ought to wrap up in a relatively short space of time. To me, the idea that this 'big event' is going to drag on for nearly half a year makes it seem more like 'normal reading'. In reality it may not feel like that when it hits, but that's how it feels now.

Say, 10 comics all released in the same month (or two) that tie into one huge universe-wide event... That seems more like an event that'll have a harder-hitting feel to me :twocents:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

agent_graves wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Word via bleeding cool is EH is done writing for VEI as of the DMG purchase. So the prelude is based on his one finished script and the rest is now being written by Kindt. So no more 2-front storytelling as was originally planned.
Yep. Here's the story link - confirming Eric has bowed out early because of DMG. It also specifically re-affirms that the 4 original issues were going to be extra long at no extra cost. So yes, it is both a move to react to the loss of Eric & likely a profit grab move from DMG.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/17 ... er-wars-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The dominos are falling, things will continue to change. This one though, rather unfortunate because Secret Weapons under Eric’s pen was/is something special, this guy’s character moments are flawless. And he loves Livewire, I just knew she’d be getting a solo after HW2, the way he championed her to the company. No #0 issue for Avi now... facepalm
Don’t forget he was also working on the Harby and Bloodshot movie scripts.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

agent_graves wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Don’t forget he was also working on the Harby and Bloodshot movie scripts.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:confirming Eric has bowed out early because of DMG.
Well, that sucks. :|

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

EH comments on Twitter:
Hey gorgeous monsters, a tiny thread about the current Valiant Comics situation right quick. I think the world of Valiant and the amazing people I’ve worked with during my time there (including Dinesh, Warren Simons, Raul Allen, Patricia Martin, Matt Kindt, and many more). Unfortunately, the structure of Harbinger Wars 2 has changed a bit since it was initially announced, but this is still our event and we still have a killer story in store. The art alone blows me away. (Page 1 is a nod to Harbinger.). I want to make 100 more SW books with Raul, Patricia and Warren. I don’t yet know how it will all shake out or how things will change after the sale. But I'm still in love with the universe and characters (and my drunken pitch for Secret Weapons 4001AD). To paraphrase MacReady at the end of THE THING: "Let's just wait a while. See what happens.”

Thanks, gang.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

Keith wrote:EH comments on Twitter:
Hey gorgeous monsters, a tiny thread about the current Valiant Comics situation right quick. I think the world of Valiant and the amazing people I’ve worked with during my time there (including Dinesh, Warren Simons, Raul Allen, Patricia Martin, Matt Kindt, and many more). Unfortunately, the structure of Harbinger Wars 2 has changed a bit since it was initially announced, but this is still our event and we still have a killer story in store. The art alone blows me away. (Page 1 is a nod to Harbinger.). I want to make 100 more SW books with Raul, Patricia and Warren. I don’t yet know how it will all shake out or how things will change after the sale. But I'm still in love with the universe and characters (and my drunken pitch for Secret Weapons 4001AD). To paraphrase MacReady at the end of THE THING: "Let's just wait a while. See what happens.”

Thanks, gang.
DOOOOM!

But not really. Seriously though, Eric Heisserer already tweeted on the situation before. He made it very clear he plans to stay on board for as long as possible. I get that everything is very uncertain right now, but we can't just believe every rumor that starts spreading on the internet. Especially if that rumor originated at Bleeding Cool.

Either way I'm psyched for Harbinger Wars 2. Sounds like it'll be the biggest event since Armor Hunters. Which is good. We're due for a big event.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I was so Mad when Valiant cancelled harbinger and i
I feel the same about this news. Guess we'll get more volley ball high school scooby doo story telling fron Valiant.
The more I hear the more Im feeling Doom.
I Miss the good old days.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

SuperMage wrote:
But not really. Seriously though, Eric Heisserer already tweeted on the situation before. He made it very clear he plans to stay on board for as long as possible. I get that everything is very uncertain right now, but we can't just believe every rumor that starts spreading on the internet. Especially if that rumor originated at Bleeding Cool.
People on Facebook are freaking out about it, apparently without reading the article. facepalm BleedingCool cites no evidence whatsoever that Heisserer is leaving. They just make a causal leap from "HW2's format being changed" to "Eric Heisserer is leaving Valiant."

Sure, it's a possibility, and I can see why this news would make you worry, but nothing's set in stone.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

I thought about this last night after I logged off, and I would guess, under the assumption that Hesserier is leaving Valiant that the publishing format has been stretched out to six months to give Kindt time to catch up on writing the other half of the story that Hesserier would have otherwise written.

Thinking about it, if Kindt and Hesserier were supposed to work on half an issue each then this comic is already (but probably only just about?) behind time in terms of publishing deadlines with Hesserier leaving before having written the rest of the 4-issue segment. Extending the event by two months buys Kindt some time to hurry in a couple of former-Hesserier scripts for the first two issues, and then work his *SQUEE* off to write both his and Hesserier's parts of the remaining issues.

So this could all just be about buying time for Kindt to write the thing solo? :?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Eric Hesserier wrote:...this is still our event...
This has got to be a clear sign that he's still onboard.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Eric Hesserier wrote:...this is still our event...
This has got to be a clear sign that he's still onboard.
This is the part that gives me hope. Although the new format is unfortunate, we're still getting another Heisserer/Allen/Martin story, amazing Giorello art (that's not confined to one corner of the universe), and a story that's been built up to in several books for years now. I refuse to fall into pessimism-land before HW2 is over.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

I'm glad EH commented on Twitter, I checked after yesterday's posts and hadn't seen anything until coming back here today. And his CBR interview with Kindt and Walter seemed too jovial to be from a man protesting a change of ownership. I think we're all going to be quick to freak out. But at this point, i think we're all trying to fulfill a narrative of doom rather than hoping that things stay the course.

I want more Secret Weapons. a Livewire ongoing. All from EH. But Heisserer's Secret Weapons was just a great addition to VEI, pleasantly perfect in many ways, but not a universe defining moment. He's also a hollywood screenwriter first, so I don't see panic if he jumps ship--it could always be caused by his scripts for the films being tossed, but the real writers are still Lemire and Kindt. If they jump ship, I know the vision is over.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Thanks, gang.
That's a relief. I also like that he's a fan of The Thing. What a great movie.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:

Thanks, gang.
That's a relief. I also like that he's a fan of The Thing. What a great movie.
Love that movie. Watched it a hundred times or more :thumb:

A friend of mine was at a convention once & ended up on an elevator with Keith David, the guy who plays Childs. Once in, he hit the door close button and settled in to wait for the elevator to do its thing & move... only it didn't go anywhere. After a short pause, my friend looked at Keith David and said that line to him - "Let's just wait a while. See what happens."

Keith David just rolled his eyes & swore under his breath :lol:

Another friend of mine recently did the package art for a re-release of the movie through Arrow Video, and yet *another* friend did all the graphic design & artwork for a really awesome board game based on the movie that came out last year! if you're a big fan, I highly recommend hunting down that board game to try out, it's a ton of fun.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Pre-order editions for HW2:

http://all-comic.com/2018/valiant-prese ... september/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do think it's funny that they are calling the first issue the Prelude issue. Isn't the Zero issue the Prelude issue? I know I know ....

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Not hearing much about tie-in's to this event...Q&W #6 aside, are there going to be any books that link into HWII?

Seems strange that there is a major event without any actual, you know, Harbinger comics on the shelf...

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Pre-order editions for HW2:

http://all-comic.com/2018/valiant-prese ... september/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do think it's funny that they are calling the first issue the Prelude issue. Isn't the Zero issue the Prelude issue? I know I know ....
Nope not doing pre order. Its a bunch of bulk for my limited room. And I dont even read the extras.
Also spoilers wile Im reading it.
Sorry Valiant

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:Not hearing much about tie-in's to this event...Q&W #6 aside, are there going to be any books that link into HWII?

Seems strange that there is a major event without any actual, you know, Harbinger comics on the shelf...
Xo will tie in. We see covers for it.
Kinda bugs me there should be a few tie in titles and there are so few to tie into

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:Not hearing much about tie-in's to this event...Q&W #6 aside, are there going to be any books that link into HWII?

It's really kind of upsetting. I was hoping for a few tie-ins each month, along with some one-shots or mini-series.

A few months ago, I asked Dinesh on Twitter when Renegade was coming back, and he said "Yes. Back with Harbinger Wars 2."

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:And I dont even read the extras.
I like the pre-orders simply because it scratches my collector itch a little, but I think recently there were two issues with centerfold splash pages that the extra content got in the way of seeing. Wasn't crazy about that.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

TheFerg714 wrote:

It's really kind of upsetting. I was hoping for a few tie-ins each month, along with some one-shots or mini-series.

A few months ago, I asked Dinesh on Twitter when Renegade was coming back, and he said "Yes. Back with Harbinger Wars 2."
I'm hoping we'll hear something in the June solicitations (as it looks like we're not getting a new Harby in May)

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
nonplayer wrote:And I dont even read the extras.
I like the pre-orders simply because it scratches my collector itch a little, but I think recently there were two issues with centerfold splash pages that the extra content got in the way of seeing. Wasn't crazy about that.
Yes, I thought there was a missing centre page (after the insert) of Eternity #4. The insert showed a sketch of a double page which seemed important but half that page wasn’t actually in the book? It looked like it was supposed to be a splash double page in the centre of the book...but wasn’t?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

nonplayer wrote:

Xo will tie in. We see covers for it.
Kinda bugs me there should be a few tie in titles and there are so few to tie into
Haven't Valiant listed tie-in issues to date on event checklists though? The event checklist for HW2 doesn't list any comics outside of HW2 itself, which is weird as it's been stated elsewhere that Q+W is having a tie-in issue for sure... So not sure what to think at the moment :?

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Shadowman99 wrote:Haven't Valiant listed tie-in issues to date on event checklists though? The event checklist for HW2 doesn't list any comics outside of HW2 itself, which is weird as it's been stated elsewhere that Q+W is having a tie-in issue for sure... So not sure what to think at the moment :?
Me too. I think I'll wait for the June solicitations before getting pessimistic, but I really wish they'd be a little more transparent about it. Does anyone remember the months leading up to VEI's other events? When were the tie-ins announced for those?