What are your thoughts on the future collectibility of DMGs?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
What are your thoughts on the future collectibility of DMGs?

Post by Juki »

Does anyone know the true number of these DMGs ? At first they seemed very rare. But within the last few months I have seen one E-Bay seller put up multiple copies of each for sale.

If Valiant is successful in the future (now that DMG is in control)do the Bloodshot and Harbinger DMGs become milestones or are they just considered reprints. Does DMG go after the Chinese market which introduces new collectors that want these books?

What are your thoughts?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: What are your thoughts on the future collectibility of D

Post by Juki »

No opinions on these?

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I'm not sure if I would consider selling mine.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Juki wrote:No opinions on these?
There are not many.

Most of those sold recently, were sold by collectors who purchased them within the past 1-2 years.

I do not see these becoming more common; nor do I expect if they did that the condition / grade would be much better (likely not).

These are modern Valiant Grails, and will have a place as long as VEI collectors are a thing.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

As far as the numbers of these printed... Is two thousand each correct? (And most of them handed out as a freebie to Chinese media?) That is what I have read from sellers.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
There are not many.

Most of those sold recently, were sold by collectors who purchased them within the past 1-2 years.

I do not see these becoming more common; nor do I expect if they did that the condition / grade would be much better (likely not).

These are modern Valiant Grails, and will have a place as long as VEI collectors are a thing.

I agree. These will always be in demand books.

The demand will way out weigh the supply.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Elveen wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
There are not many.

That's just it... What is the supply? Any idea?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Juki wrote:
Elveen wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
There are not many.

That's just it... What is the supply? Any idea?
There may have been an initial print run of 2K on each, but there are not that many that are actually in collectors hands. Many of these ended up in the trash, and no one is sure exactly how many survived. The only way to truly track these, would be to monitor CGC and see how many get graded in the next year. I'm guessing there will be a handful that do get graded, all because of the takeover.

I also agree, I won't be selling mine any time soon
Moose

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

My understanding, possibly incorrect, is that the number that have survived and made their way back to the US is on the order of dozens.

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Here is what I know.

A handful (approx 10-20 copies) were hand-carried back to the US after the initial DMG announcement. Those books are the books we have seen here and on eBay. Of those copies that actually made it back to the US, only a few are/were 9.8 candidates.

Yes, there technically “are/were” other copies that were passed out to the Chinese press in Beijing during the DMG announcement; however, we need to be realistic about how well those survived in the aftermath of that announcement and in the hands of (likely) a non-collector press.

We have seen ZERO copies for sale from overseas sellers. To be honest, I have seen ZERO copies for sale from sellers that I did not recognize. We are, after all, a fairly small and tight group of motivated collectors.

When I am at a convention, and am handed a “Promotional Comic”, AND if I am actually interested in the content and/or perceived market value, I will carefully place it in a new bag with a new board (likely two boards front and back) to preserve and protect it. This is why many of my Valiant Golds later grade 9.8, because I REALLY care about comics!

The average Chinese journalist could care less about a free comic that they and everyone else were randomly handed as they walked into the room. Those books (those that were not later tossed into the trash) are either damaged to varying degrees (e.g. NOT 9.8 condition) or still in a plastic bag with 7 business cards, 3 promo pens, a map of the event and schedule of events, and a printed flyer for whatever event was happening the following week.

They are 99.9% unlikely to be monitoring the secondary comic book market trends of Valiant Collectors in the English speaking world.

Those books (most) will never be seen, and if they are, it is highly likely they will not be in the condition that most collectors would prefer.

SO,

I think the market for what is presently available is quite strong. :wink:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Dr. Solar wrote:My understanding, possibly incorrect, is that the number that have survived and made their way back to the US is on the order of dozens.
The DMG comics probably are pretty rare if the entire print run was produced in the U.S. and went to China (and a few made their way back). I suppose that would be possible being considered a promotional give away reprint which wouldn't be important for collectors in the U.S. I would find this to be unlikely if these comics were printed in the U.S.

If production of the DMGs occurred in CHINA.... then I could see them being extremely rare in the U.S. But, it seems like sellers would be bragging about how they scored HTF comics produced in China (having to go there themselves to get them or having a contact person to mail them to the U.S.)

However, I was thinking that it would be more realistic for part of the DMG issue overrun to have stayed here the whole time if it was actually printed in the U.S. (In that case there could be stacks of them sitting around in mint condition). Nobody seems to know the production and distribution details (except the people that are selling them... and they are not saying how they were obtained). I have asked E-Bay sellers about these DMG details... They answered other questions about condition and did not respond about production and distribution details for the DMGs.