Top 200 Rarest Valiant books 2012-present? (2018 UPDATE)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaspersk
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: Top 200 Rarest Valiant books 2012-present? (2018 UPDATE)

Post by jaspersk »

Does anyone believe that ratio of variants printed
For any company truly correlates toward sales qualifications
I believe Valiant tried toward the end to not abuse it
Remember every variant was over 1000-1200 initially
But all the other companies. I think all the 1:50 books and
The market spec is the reason sales are up a little
I also think every valiant variant bought is a great buy
Its killing my wallet but Valiant is getting 90% of my new comic money
Thanks for the list. Its a great point of reference
Even if inexact.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

jaspersk wrote:Does anyone believe that ratio of variants printed
For any company truly correlates toward sales qualifications
I believe Valiant tried toward the end to not abuse it
Remember every variant was over 1000-1200 initially
But all the other companies. I think all the 1:50 books and
The market spec is the reason sales are up a little
I also think every valiant variant bought is a great buy
Its killing my wallet but Valiant is getting 90% of my new comic money
Thanks for the list. Its a great point of reference
Even if inexact.
Bout 80/20 for me, Valiant heavy... :D
#StayValiant

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

How do you know that all the limited variants initially were 1000-1,200? Did Valiant come out and say that?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Juki wrote:How do you know that all the limited variants initially were 1000-1,200? Did Valiant come out and say that?
Yes, Dinesh said all covers were at least 1,000 in 2012. The flipbook for X-O #1 / Harbinger #1 blank cover (convention exclusive) was only 1,000 copies, so it was the "rarest" book for a while. It isn't clear how long the 1,000 minimum lasted past 2012 or if the destruction of unneeded books impacted early books.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

greg wrote:
Juki wrote:How do you know that all the limited variants initially were 1000-1,200? Did Valiant come out and say that?
Yes, Dinesh said all covers were at least 1,000 in 2012. The flipbook for X-O #1 / Harbinger #1 blank cover (convention exclusive) was only 1,000 copies, so it was the "rarest" book for a while. It isn't clear how long the 1,000 minimum lasted past 2012 or if the destruction of unneeded books impacted early books.

Actually, I think the rarest early book was that summer of Valiant TPB. I think.

greg

Post by greg »

Elveen wrote:
greg wrote:

Actually, I think the rarest early book was that summer of Valiant TPB. I think.
The blank cover flipbook was released before two of the first issues in the Summer of Valiant 4-in-1 trade. ;)

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

greg wrote:
Elveen wrote:
greg wrote:

The blank cover flipbook was released before two of the first issues in the Summer of Valiant 4-in-1 trade. ;)

Yes, but I think the tpb print run was MUCH lower, and the tpb is for sure an "early" book, ya know. I wanna say the print run was like a few cases. I know I was the VERY first person to get some, I was there when the cut open the cases.

at least thats how I remember it. I got the tpbs at the same time I got the Bloodshot water bottle.

That water bottle is 100% FOR SURE the rarest "early" item. I believe there was 30-40 total made. I bought like 9 of them for some of da homies.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I recall missing out on the water bottle. There was one left at a show, and they said it wasn't for sale. They were keeping it.

The Summer book was very limited. Might be 500.

greg

Post by greg »

Elveen wrote:
greg wrote:
Elveen wrote:
greg wrote:

Yes, but I think the tpb print run was MUCH lower, and the tpb is for sure an "early" book, ya know. I wanna say the print run was like a few cases. I know I was the VERY first person to get some, I was there when the cut open the cases.

at least thats how I remember it. I got the tpbs at the same time I got the Bloodshot water bottle.

That water bottle is 100% FOR SURE the rarest "early" item. I believe there was 30-40 total made. I bought like 9 of them for some of da homies.
I don't think we disagree. The blank cover flipbook was rarest when other books (like the 4-in-1 trade) didn't exist yet. The Bloodshot water bottle is ridiculously rare, but it wasn't a comic, and promo non-comic items are a "different type of collectible".

All 3 of those books/items exist on purpose and they're rare on purpose. It's possible that the X-O #1 2nd print cover with 1st print insides is the rarest comic from 2012, but it shouldn't exist... so errors are a different type of item from purposeful variants and promo non-comic items.

There's a another type of (sometimes rare) collectible in the store-exclusive (and convention exclusive) Valiant books because distribution was not up to Valiant or Diamond. "AAA Store Exclusive" could be rarest, and every copy could be in Austria or Australia. That's not the same as "buy 20, get 1" variants available from Diamond.

The whole "collecting Valiant" thing gets crazy when you look back at 1990s Valiant, since there was a rare non-comic item (Darque Brew beer bottle) which you might own with or without the holiday greeting card, with or without the original box, opened or unopened, full, half-full, or empty, and normal or error version (the label on the bottle was upside down).

Just when I think I might wrap my head around all these types of Valiant collectibles, I realize that China is such a huge country... imagine if DMG gives official licenses to print shops all over the country... paper variations, ink variations, and potentially counterfeits, too.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I agree Greg. We are in agreement.
The water bottle is a different thing, not a Comic.

My point about the tpb is that it was “early” , around the same time.
That’s all.

We r in agreement.

And yes errors and misprints and all that are not official.
But cool :)

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

"To commemorate the 1st Anniversary of Valiant Comics, Dinesh had 36 Bloodshot water bottles made and gave them out to Valiant employees."

Here are the details from Atom!

-Produced in incredibly low numbers as a thank you gift for Valiant staff.
-Only 36 were ever produced with less than 20 available to the general public.
-Will be premiering at the Valiant booth at Phoenix Comic-Con
-Made at Liberty Bottleworks (the only American made metal bottle). Made with recycled aluminum.

***Mine currently for sale
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=51246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg

Post by greg »

DirtbagSailor wrote:I’m still not sure about the A&A Lafuente books; they seem like the 4001 A.D. 1:100’s in that there are a LOT more available than should be.

Or the demand was simply low? :?
I'm thinking that any variant that was part of a single artwork series (interlocking, mega-cover) was printed in higher numbers... that seems to answer why certain variants that should be rarer are much easier to find. The mystery seems to be for interlocking variants most often. :hm:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

greg wrote:
Elveen wrote:
greg wrote:

Yep. Although there were still X-O/Harbinger flips available for sale at NYCC 2012, when the A&A/Bloodshot flip and the Summer of Valiant collection went on sale. I believe they sold out of the first flipbook then.

I believe the print run on the Summer of Valiant was 950.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

So, the A&A 1% gold goes for more in 9.8 than the Gold of A&A's first appearance? Something… seems broken.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ar ... Complete=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg

Post by greg »

kjjohanson wrote:So, the A&A 1% gold goes for more in 9.8 than the Gold of A&A's first appearance? Something… seems broken.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ar ... Complete=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a lot about modern variants that doesn't make sense... there are recent issues of Spider-man that cost more than Amazing Spider-man #1.

However, this is how I've explained it... to myself:

Price is basically Quality divided by Quantity

A&A #0 Gold (1992) is as high as you can get for Quality when it comes to Archer & Armstrong, but the Quantity makes the book fairly easy to find.
A&A 1% Gold (2014) isn't a Quality book, since it isn't first appearances, it's not an actual gold issue, etc., but the Quantity makes the book nearly impossible to find.

So, if Price is Quality divided by Quantity...
and if A&A #0 Gold (1992) is about 20 times more Quantity than A&A 1% Gold (2014)...
then A&A #0 Gold (1992) could be 19 times more Quality than A&A 1% Gold (2014)...
but the Price for A&A #0 Gold (1992) would still be cheaper.

Quality is a subjective thing, but there's no way we should be comparing books to each other without also considering Quantity.
We can see how A&A #0 Gold (1992) is a much higher Quality book than A&A 1% Gold (2014) with basically opposite Prices, if we factor in Quantity.

I like Quantity and Quality, but you could just as easily say Supply and Demand... the problem arises when people Demand a book because it has low Supply... that's circular math. :D
The Quality of a book should have nothing to do with its Quantity... so it's easier to keep them logically separate, because Supply and Demand are often blended.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

greg wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:So, the A&A 1% gold goes for more in 9.8 than the Gold of A&A's first appearance? Something… seems broken.

There is a lot about modern variants that doesn't make sense... there are recent issues of Spider-man that cost more than Amazing Spider-man #1.

However, this is how I've explained it... to myself:

Price is basically Quality divided by Quantity

A&A #0 Gold (1992) is as high as you can get for Quality when it comes to Archer & Armstrong, but the Quantity makes the book fairly easy to find.
A&A 1% Gold (2014) isn't a Quality book, since it isn't first appearances, it's not an actual gold issue, etc., but the Quantity makes the book nearly impossible to find.

So, if Price is Quality divided by Quantity...
and if A&A #0 Gold (1992) is about 20 times more Quantity than A&A 1% Gold (2014)...
then A&A #0 Gold (1992) could be 19 times more Quality than A&A 1% Gold (2014)...
but the Price for A&A #0 Gold (1992) would still be cheaper.

Quality is a subjective thing, but there's no way we should be comparing books to each other without also considering Quantity.
We can see how A&A #0 Gold (1992) is a much higher Quality book than A&A 1% Gold (2014) with basically opposite Prices, if we factor in Quantity.

I like Quantity and Quality, but you could just as easily say Supply and Demand... the problem arises when people Demand a book because it has low Supply... that's circular math. :D
The Quality of a book should have nothing to do with its Quantity... so it's easier to keep them logically separate, because Supply and Demand are often blended.
I get all of that (even before commenting), but still

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Heads-up, Midtowncomics' deal of the day is Wrath of the Eternal Warrior 1-4 1:50 for $25.25 each. 2-4 are on this list.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

DIVINITY

26 DIVINITY III: STALINVERSE #4 OF 4 (Gorham 1:50) -- (121 copies calculated)

28 DIVINITY III: STALINVERSE #3 OF 4 (Gorham 1:50) -- (124 copies calculated)

34 DIVINITY III: STALINVERSE #2 OF 4 (Gorham 1:50) -- (130 copies calculated)

77 ETERNITY #3 (Polina 1:40) -- (194 copies calculated)

79 ETERNITY #4 (Veregge 1:40) -- (196 copies calculated)

81 ETERNITY #2 (Lafuente 1:40) -- (200 copies calculated)

85 DIVINITY II #4 (Gorham 1:50) -- (202 copies Calculated)

95 DIVINITY II #3 (Gorham 1:50) -- (213 copies Calculated)

111 DIVINITY II #2 (Gorham 1:50) -- (224 copies Calculated)

152 DIVINITY #1 OF 4 (LaRosa 1:40) -- (257 copies calculated)

158 DIVINITY #2 OF 4 (LaRosa 1:30) -- (261 copies calculated)

172 DIVINITY III: ESCAPE FROM GULAG 396 #1 (Kano 1:20) -- (268 copies calculated)

224 ETERNITY #1 (Massafera 1:40) -- (300 copies calculated)

DIVINITY #0 (Warped Tour Edition Variant)-(??? copies calculated) RARE!! UNRELEASED!!
#StayValiant

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

NINJAK

2 NINJA-K #1 (Suayan 1:250 Brushed Metal Variant) -- (95 copies calculated)

3 NINJAK #23 (Templesmith 1:50) -- (97 copies calculated)

11 NINJAK #25 (Frison 1:50) -- (107 copies calculated)

12 NINJAK #24 (Templesmith 1:50) -- (107 copies calculated)

14 NINJAK #26 (Lotay 1:50) -- (109 copies calculated)

63 NINJA-K #2 (Templesmith 1:50) -- (175 copies calculated)*

76 NINJA-K #3 (Giorello 1:50) -- (193 copies calculated)*

127 NINJAK #23 (Evely 1:20) -- (243 copies calculated)

142 NINJAK #27 (Parent 1:20) -- (249 copies calculated)

169 NINJAK #21 (Ryp 1:20) -- (268 copies calculated)

170 NINJAK #25 (Freeman 1:20) -- (268 copies calculated)

171 NINJAK #24 (Evely 1:20) -- (268 copies calculated)

179 NINJAK #26 (Layton 1:20) -- (272 copies calculated)

188 NINJAK #20 (Fiffe 1:20) -- (279 copies calculated)

201 NINJAK #22 (Henry 1:20) -- (287 copies calculated)

210 NINJAK #17 (Veregge 1:20) -- (292 copies calculated)

218 NINJAK #19 (Lamig 1:20) -- (295 copies calculated)

NINJAK #0 NYCC (NINJAK VS THE VALIANT UNIVERSE VARIANT) - (??? copies calculated) RARE!! UNRELEASED!!

*Corrected/See OP....
#StayValiant

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

IVAR TIMEWALKER

52 IVAR TIMEWALKER #2 (Villalobos 1:40) -- (156 copies calculated)

130 IVAR TIMEWALKER #12 (Kano 1:20) -- (245 copies calculated)

140 IVAR TIMEWALKER #11 (Fowler 1:20) -- (248 copies calculated)

166 IVAR TIMEWALKER #10 (Wada 1:20) -- (267 copies calculated)

184 IVAR TIMEWALKER #8 (Gill 1:20) -- (275 copies calculated)

185 IVAR TIMEWALKER #9 (Barrionevo 1:20) -- (278 copies calculated)

186 IVAR TIMEWALKER #3 (Villalobos 1:20) -- (279 copies calculated)

187 IVAR TIMEWALKER #7 (Gill 1:20) -- (279 copies calculated)

191 IVAR TIMEWALKER #5 (Gill 1:20) -- (281 copies calculated)

192 IVAR TIMEWALKER #6 (Gill 1:20) -- (283 copies calculated)

207 IVAR TIMEWALKER #4 (Villalobos 1:20) -- (290 copies calculated)

219 IVAR TIMEWALKER #1 (Kitson 1:50) -- (295 copies calculated)
#StayValiant

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Anyone else notice a lot of the books on this list (and Valiant variants in general) slowly disappearing from availability online recently?

Mile High had a big sale last weekend, and I started adding stuff to my cart on Saturday. By the time I tried to check out Monday morning, more than half of the stuff I put in my cart (mostly the rarer variants) were no longer available. I should have checked out in batches.

apacseller
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

And a Ninjak metal just pulled ~$540 at auction, when there were a few available at $400 for weeks. I think these metal books will have some legs.

Amazed there are still Bloodshot metal books still available. Movie coming out, great cover, limited availability. No brainer for me.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

apacseller wrote:And a Ninjak metal just pulled ~$540 at auction, when there were a few available at $400 for weeks. I think these metal books will have some legs.

Amazed there are still Bloodshot metal books still available. Movie coming out, great cover, limited availability. No brainer for me.
You did hold your ground on your Metal prices. Looks like you might be clairvoyant if that is the trend. Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

Kinda surprised the Shadowman 5 Grampa variant (1:125 I think) isn't on this list. Anyone know how many copies of this book exist? Seems like it only shows up for auction every couple months still

greg

Post by greg »

markie7235 wrote:Kinda surprised the Shadowman 5 Grampa variant (1:125 I think) isn't on this list. Anyone know how many copies of this book exist? Seems like it only shows up for auction every couple months still
The 1:125 ratio was "linewide", in other words, 1 Shadowman 5 Grampa variant for every 125 Valiant comics that month (not just Shadowman... all Valiant titles). As a result, 1:125 "linewide" is about the same as 1:25 for a single title.