VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2018 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

https://www.newsarama.com/39133-valiant ... VGri5.uxfs

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2018 Solicitations

Post by TheFerg714 »

jaden_sai wrote:VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2018 Solicitations
Well... Looks like we won't be getting any "traditional" tie-ins. I know Valiant wants to be all different and show that you don't have to buy every book to get the full story, but connecting our universe like that is supposed to be what made them special. Why have they seemingly forgotten all of the awesome events that put them on the map? Why are they abandoning a formula that they have been very successful with in the past?

I don't know... Personally, I want Valiant to go for broke every once in a while and just prove to us that their universe is connected in a real, tangible way. I'm still excited for HW2, but it feels so damn separate from everything else...

tl;dr Theres nothing wrong with line-wide events if you can do it well, and Valiant has proven that they can.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

TheFerg714 wrote:
jaden_sai wrote:VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT June 2018 Solicitations
Well... Looks like we won't be getting any "traditional" tie-ins. I know Valiant wants to be all different and show that you don't have to buy every book to get the full story, but connecting our universe like that is supposed to be what made them special. Why have they seemingly forgotten all of the awesome events that put them on the map? Why are they abandoning a formula that they have been very successful with in the past?

I don't know... Personally, I want Valiant to go for broke every once in a while and just prove to us that their universe is connected in a real, tangible way. I'm still excited for HW2, but it feels so damn separate from everything else...

tl;dr Theres nothing wrong with line-wide events if you can do it well, and Valiant has proven that they can.
Absolutely!

It just feels odd. I like that Q&A are included but if the joke is they are the only book that's included well then that's not very amusing.

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

BLOODSHOT SALVATION #10
NINJA-K #8
HARBINGER WARS 2 #2 (of 4)
SHADOWMAN #4-11 PRE-ORDER EDITION BUNDLE
X-O MANOWAR (2017) #16

5 out of 7, not to bad. I’m done with Q&W, and no interest in Valiant High, although I might go back and pick them up once all issues are released because Divinity apparently appears in #3 & #4...

This little output will never be enough to surpass Dynamite /IDW/Dark Horse or any other independent publisher in retail or market share. It’s been what, 6 yrs come May, 90% of VEI’s characters are not even being used. Probably more than 90%. They talk about being the 3rd largest connected universe or whatever. But the output doesn’t match that, not even close. Some months we only get 5 titles total, 5.....

Just for perspective....

No Harbinger related tie-in to the major summer event... facepalm

No Secret Weapons related tie-in to the major summer event... facepalm

Still no Psi-Lords (teased 2 yrs ago)... facepalm

Harada mini in 2019... facepalm

No new news on the next Divinity mini...(Hairsine is on XO’s next arc, AND the artist on Red Hood and the Outlaws #20 in June :o facepalm )

No Rai news in forever... facepalm

Savage still hasn’t returned... facepalm

Gilad’s still M.I.A... facepalm

Haven’t seen Tama since Rapture ended... facepalm

Where the :censored: is Bleeding Monk... facepalm

And they have over 2,000 characters, that 90% might be to low... facepalm
#StayValiant

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

agent_graves wrote:BLOODSHOT SALVATION #10
NINJA-K #8
X-O MANOWAR (2017) #16

5 out of 7, not to bad. I’m done with Q&W, and no interest in Valiant High, although I might go back and pick them up once all issues are released because Divinity apparently appears in #3 & #4...

This little output will never be enough to surpass Dynamite (sucks!) /IDW/Dark Horse or any other independent publisher in retail or market share. It’s been what, 6 yrs come May, 90% of VEI’s characters are not even being used. Probably more than 90%. They talk about being the 3rd largest connected universe or whatever. But the output doesn’t match that, not even close. Some months we only get 5 titles total, 5.....

Just for perspective....

No new news on the next Divinity mini...(Hairsine is on XO’s next arc, AND the artist on Red Hood and the Outlaws #20 in June :o facepalm )

At this point, I don't get 5 DC titles a month or Image (3) or Dark Horse (1) or Marvel (0)... i trade wait on a couple series though, but for VEI to have me in on 5 of 7 (just like you) is pretty awesome.

But, like you said, six years and they're just repeating what they did before. What could they do make a bigger impact on the scene (Shelves of Stores)?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

NINJA-K #8
X-O MANOWAR (2017) #16

This little output will never be enough to surpass Dynamite (sucks!) /IDW/Dark Horse or any other independent publisher in retail or market share. It’s been what, 6 yrs come May, 90% of VEI’s characters are not even being used. Probably more than 90%. They talk about being the 3rd largest connected universe or whatever. But the output doesn’t match that, not even close. Some months we only get 5 titles total, 5.....

Just for perspective....

I'm feeling every single thing you're feeling here. I am loving what is out right now, not much interest in Valiant High, but I still might give it a read. Everything else is firing right where I thought it would be. It seems like when they get a little traction, they let it slip and disappear before they decide to do anything else.

Savage, tons of hype! People loved this series, why has it taken so very long to get the second story, third story, etc...

Britania seemed to hit decently, as there wasn't a huge break in those first two mini's, yet #3 has been absent. I know I would be lining up to read another story like that. I like the direction/art/story that is going on there. Again, why such a long break?

Isn't it about time that Punk Mambo got a mini? Hells, I'm down for an ongoing, but just getting her out there and in a series herself would be amazing! I think we need more characters that are not good, not evil, but really dance on that line, just trying to keep the dead where they belong. Characters that do both bad and good things create a solid buzz, starts conversation, gets people involved.

War Mother had her one-shot, people got excited. Her mini came around, and while the numbers may not have been astronomical, I think a tag team with Rai would be an amazing story! I'll stick by the idea that the little kid she saved in the one shot is the reincarnation of Father, just in human form. With that idea, I think the first 3 or 4 arcs almost write themselves with a Rai vs War Mother fight at the year mark. Then, the next year could almost write itself too, as they both work together to hunt down the damn kid (which escapes cuz we need more 4002 stuff!). I'm a schmuck and I see this as an easy book to write!! :|

I'm fine that Divinity takes a back seat, and maybe only gets cameo's for a little while, but Kindt has created so many new characters, developing them would be awesome! Red Brigade, two solid good gals, two possibly bad gals. Doesn't this book write itself too? :hm:

There, 5 more books, 3 mini's maybe 4 and an ongoing. I'm betting everyone here would probably buy into each one of those stories too.... :?
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
NINJA-K #8
X-O MANOWAR (2017) #16

This little output will never be enough to surpass Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) /IDW/Dark Horse or any other independent publisher in retail or market share. It’s been what, 6 yrs come May, 90% of VEI’s characters are not even being used. Probably more than 90%. They talk about being the 3rd largest connected universe or whatever. But the output doesn’t match that, not even close. Some months we only get 5 titles total, 5.....

Just for perspective....

I'm feeling every single thing you're feeling here. I am loving what is out right now, not much interest in Valiant High, but I still might give it a read. Everything else is firing right where I thought it would be. It seems like when they get a little traction, they let it slip and disappear before they decide to do anything else.

Savage, tons of hype! People loved this series, why has it taken so very long to get the second story, third story, etc...

Britania seemed to hit decently, as there wasn't a huge break in those first two mini's, yet #3 has been absent. I know I would be lining up to read another story like that. I like the direction/art/story that is going on there. Again, why such a long break?

Isn't it about time that Punk Mambo got a mini? Hells, I'm down for an ongoing, but just getting her out there and in a series herself would be amazing! I think we need more characters that are not good, not evil, but really dance on that line, just trying to keep the dead where they belong. Characters that do both bad and good things create a solid buzz, starts conversation, gets people involved.

War Mother had her one-shot, people got excited. Her mini came around, and while the numbers may not have been astronomical, I think a tag team with Rai would be an amazing story! I'll stick by the idea that the little kid she saved in the one shot is the reincarnation of Father, just in human form. With that idea, I think the first 3 or 4 arcs almost write themselves with a Rai vs War Mother fight at the year mark. Then, the next year could almost write itself too, as they both work together to hunt down the damn kid (which escapes cuz we need more 4002 stuff!). I'm a schmuck and I see this as an easy book to write!! :|

I'm fine that Divinity takes a back seat, and maybe only gets cameo's for a little while, but Kindt has created so many new characters, developing them would be awesome! Red Brigade, two solid good gals, two possibly bad gals. Doesn't this book write itself too? :hm:

There, 5 more books, 3 mini's maybe 4 and an ongoing. I'm betting everyone here would probably buy into each one of those stories too.... :?
It all started with Harbinger veing cancelled.
Id have to be pretty high to biy valiant high since it was advertised as a web series. So disapointed in Valiant.
Since Dinesh got the boot its not been the same. It used to be regular exciting news about something now its nothing. No hype no excitment.
Least we have bloodshot and xo to read.
Because of all the cancelliasations I didnt get ninjak from the beginning now its one of the lingest running titles.
You gor it right with facepalm
I Miss the good old days.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
NINJA-K #8
X-O MANOWAR (2017) #16

This little output will never be enough to surpass Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) /IDW/Dark Horse or any other independent publisher in retail or market share. It’s been what, 6 yrs come May, 90% of VEI’s characters are not even being used. Probably more than 90%. They talk about being the 3rd largest connected universe or whatever. But the output doesn’t match that, not even close. Some months we only get 5 titles total, 5.....

Just for perspective....

I forgot about Brittania, great outside the box creation. Also silent... facepalm

I love Punk Mambo, and she has been getting some play, but yea, she’s been around enough to warrant at least a mini... :hope:

War Mother is cool, they seem to try to keep her in the loop, but have gone silent since the last mini. And I just don’t see how Rai, is NOT a Valiant Icon. His movement should always be in play or in motion... :thumb:

Divinity, I’m 100% biased when it comes to this character and creative team, I have no problem admitting that. I feel like something should always be in the works. That being said, I wouldn’t mind seeing him pop up elsewhere, sort of like his Imperium appearances. And I also agree, the Red Brigade getting fleshed out in their own mini series would be nice... :thumb:
nonplayer wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
NINJA-K #8
X-O MANOWAR (2017) #16

This little output will never be enough to surpass Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) /IDW/Dark Horse or any other independent publisher in retail or market share. It’s been what, 6 yrs come May, 90% of VEI’s characters are not even being used. Probably more than 90%. They talk about being the 3rd largest connected universe or whatever. But the output doesn’t match that, not even close. Some months we only get 5 titles total, 5.....

Just for perspective....

It all started with Harbinger veing cancelled.
Id have to be pretty high to biy valiant high since it was advertised as a web series. So disapointed in Valiant.
Since Dinesh got the boot its not been the same. It used to be regular exciting news about something now its nothing. No hype no excitment.
Least we have bloodshot and xo to read.
Because of all the cancelliasations I didnt get ninjak from the beginning now its one of the lingest running titles.
You gor it right with facepalm
Sad, but true... facepalm
#StayValiant

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

The thing that bothers me about HW2, and I realize I haven't read it so it might all change, but....

It looks more like UNITY WARS. Harbinger characters are barely showcased on the covers, it's mostly Unity. Where's the Renegades, Secret Weapons, HARD Corps, Imperium, the remaining characters from Generation Zero, Alpha, Solomon?

Why is Ninjak fighting Livewire in HW2 but in the same month in Ninjak's solo title they are fighting together? It all seems so disparate.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

kinggirlfriend wrote:The thing that bothers me about HW2, and I realize I haven't read it so it might all change, but....

It looks more like UNITY WARS. Harbinger characters are barely showcased on the covers, it's mostly Unity. Where's the Renegades, Secret Weapons, HARD Corps, Imperium, the remaining characters from Generation Zero, Alpha, Solomon?

Why is Ninjak fighting Livewire in HW2 but in the same month in Ninjak's solo title they are fighting together? It all seems so disparate.
None of the bolded characters are in the solicitations thus far, will see how it turns out...

Yea, I think they should add the “these events take place before HW2” tagline to the “Coalition” arc...
#StayValiant

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

agent_graves wrote:
kinggirlfriend wrote:The thing that bothers me about HW2, and I realize I haven't read it so it might all change, but....

None of the bolded characters are in the solicitations thus far, will see how it turns out...

Yea, I think they should add the “these events take place before HW2” tagline to the “Coalition” arc...
And maybe they still will, it's something to pay attention to in the months to come. We've already seen that happen with Bloodshot and Shadowman, right? We know that X-O is coming back to earth, and will probably appear in the prelude. His book is going back in history... Q&W will have their own mess to deal with. Will the Bloodshot book show actions in the future of 4001? It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to add that to the Bloodshot book, or maybe in the HW2 Prelude. If they added something to the Prelude, it could fit in before the book, thus BS Redemption happened after HW2... But that would mean the Shadowman books would also have to have happened after HW2...
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I was skeptical about Valiant High but it was surprisingly decent, so I’d recommend giving it a go.

In terms of current output, I’m happpy with what they’re putting out for the most part and I’m glad we’ve moved away from the ‘Valiant light’ books. Not sure why VEI are hyping Dysart’s book when it’s not out til next year or indeed why we have to wait til next year. But all that said, XO is solid, Bloodshot and Ninjak as good as theyve ever been, Shadowman can’t be any worse than the last run (can it?) so room for optimism, and other options available Rai, Savage etc.

In previous posts there’s talk of not using 90% of Valiant back catalogue of characters but I can’t think of any decent ones that haven’t been used? When Armorines were brought back in XO surely that’s a sign that we’re into the C list stuff? :?

I’m more happy with the focus in new characters eg Secret Weapons, Savage. Kindt alone has created a ton on new characters which can be explored and fleshed out.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I was skeptical about Valiant High but it was surprisingly decent, so I’d recommend giving it a go.

In terms of current output, I’m happpy with what they’re putting out for the most part and I’m glad we’ve moved away from the ‘Valiant light’ books. Not sure why VEI are hyping Dysart’s book when it’s not out til next year or indeed why we have to wait til next year. But all that said, XO is solid, Bloodshot and Ninjak as good as theyve ever been, Shadowman can’t be any worse than the last run (can it?) so room for optimism, and other options available Rai, Savage etc.

In previous posts there’s talk of not using 90% of Valiant back catalogue of characters but I can’t think of any decent ones that haven’t been used? When Armorines were brought back in XO surely that’s a sign that we’re into the C list stuff? :?

I’m more happy with the focus in new characters eg Secret Weapons, Savage. Kindt alone has created a ton on new characters which can be explored and fleshed out.
SMH.... facepalm
#StayValiant

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

agent_graves wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I was skeptical about Valiant High but it was surprisingly decent, so I’d recommend giving it a go.

SMH.... facepalm
AgentGraves is right.

The current ongoings are Shadowman, X-O Manowar, Ninja-K, Bloodshot Salvation, and Quantum and Woody. 5 books that are currently being published.

Books that are on indefinite hiatus are: Archer & Armstrong, Britannia, Doctor Mirage, Divinity, Eternal Warrior, Eternity, Faith, Harbinger, Imperium, Generation Zero, Rai, Savage, Secret Weapons, Unity, Timewalker, War Mother. 16 books that are waiting in line.

Of those 16 books waiting in line for their next volume: Britannia, Doctor Mirage, Imperium, Savage, Secret Weapons, and War Mother all ended on cliffhangers. Imperium is the only one of those books with a confirmed release date for its final chapter. Four years after the main series ended.

Let's also add in characters who have yet to receive the own series to the list: The Red Brigade, Psi-Lords, Livewire, Punk Mambo, Deathmate, Armorines, Geomancer, and H.A.R.D. Corps. You can bump that number up to 24.

You can also add in all of the old VH-1/2 books that yet to be rebooted: Armed & Dangerous, The Bad Eggs, Doctor Tomorrow, Grackle, Gravediggers, Master Darque, N.I.O., Outcast, Punx, Stormbreakers, Trinity Angels, Troublemakers, Visitor.

That's 37 separate intellectual properties currently not in publication out of a grand total of 42 intellectual properties. That means that 88% of Valiant's intellectual properties are all waiting in line to finally see publication. Because of Harbinger Wars 2 and Ninja-K: The Coalition include multiple characters, technically that percentage will be 78% between May and August. If you round up the numbers, the majority of the time roughly 90% of Valiant's properties are not being used. There are five lines with 37 books all waiting for their turn.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

SuperMage wrote:
agent_graves wrote:

SMH.... facepalm
AgentGraves is right.

The current ongoings are Shadowman, X-O Manowar, Ninja-K, Bloodshot Salvation, and Quantum and Woody. 5 books that are currently being published.

Books that are on indefinite hiatus are: Archer & Armstrong, Britannia, Doctor Mirage, Divinity, Eternal Warrior, Eternity, Faith, Harbinger, Imperium, Generation Zero, Rai, Savage, Secret Weapons, Unity, Timewalker, War Mother. 16 books that are waiting in line.

Of those 16 books waiting in line for their next volume: Britannia, Doctor Mirage, Imperium, Savage, Secret Weapons, and War Mother all ended on cliffhangers. Imperium is the only one of those books with a confirmed release date for its final chapter. Four years after the main series ended.

Let's also add in characters who have yet to receive the own series to the list: The Red Brigade, Psi-Lords, Livewire, Punk Mambo, Deathmate, Armorines, Geomancer, and H.A.R.D. Corps. You can bump that number up to 24.

You can also add in all of the old VH-1/2 books that yet to be rebooted: Armed & Dangerous, The Bad Eggs, Doctor Tomorrow, Grackle, Gravediggers, Master Darque, N.I.O., Outcast, Punx, Stormbreakers, Trinity Angels, Troublemakers, Visitor.

That's 37 separate intellectual properties currently not in publication out of a grand total of 42 intellectual properties. That means that 88% of Valiant's intellectual properties are all waiting in line to finally see publication. Because of Harbinger Wars 2 and Ninja-K: The Coalition include multiple characters, technically that percentage will be 78% between May and August. If you round up the numbers, the majority of the time roughly 90% of Valiant's properties are not being used. There are five lines with 37 books all waiting for their turn.
I don't think Generation Zero is waiting in line :?
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

SuperMage
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

jeremycoe wrote:
I was specifically waiting for this comment. :clap: Generation Zero isn't really in line. Generation Zero is deader than disco. The thing is it's still an IP. Valiant still has the trademark for Generation Zero. I included it on the list for the sake of listing all of Valiant's trademarked IPs.

DC killed off the entire cast of the Doom Patrol in the 60's, but that didn't prevent the team for finally finding their premise in the 90's when Grant Morrison basically overhauled the book with a brand new cast of characters. Generation Zero will remain a dead franchise until Valiant figures out what to do with it.

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

SuperMage wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
I was specifically waiting for this comment. :clap: Generation Zero isn't really in line. Generation Zero is deader than disco. The thing is it's still an IP. Valiant still has the trademark for Generation Zero. I included it on the list for the sake of listing all of Valiant's trademarked IPs.

DC killed off the entire cast of the Doom Patrol in the 60's, but that didn't prevent the team for finally finding their premise in the 90's when Grant Morrison basically overhauled the book with a brand new cast of characters. Generation Zero will remain a dead franchise until Valiant figures out what to do with it.
Gen Zero basically ended on a cliffhanger too considering the almost-anthology Harbinger Renegade was Gen Zero 12 (or 13?). Even with 60-80% of them dead now there are still a handful in some pickle that we know nothing about. I'm sure HW2 will get into that though.

I'd add Eternity to the "ends on cliffhanger" list, David Camp is camping somewhere on earth as a god-man waiting for the next mini.

I agree with AgentGraves and SuperMage. Sometimes the publishing line feels like a kid showing you his toys:
"CHECK OUT THIS AMAZING SAVAGE! IT HAS COOL SCARS AND IT'S A KID WHO KILLS DINOSAURS!"
"Oh neat can I play with it?"
"NO! BUT LOOK AT THIS OTHER GUY, SOLOMAN! HE DOES SO MANY COOL THINGS!"
"Ok, show me."
"WAIT, NO THIS WAR MOTHER IS EVEN BETTER!"
"Cool"
"AND NEXT YEAR IF MY GRADES ARE GOOD I'M GETTING A HARADA"

I don't care that they aren't using all or even most of their IP at once in the publishing line, I care that they pick up and put down everything so fast. Lately there rarely feels like any natural lead in to a big story, and once it's finished there is no aftermath or consequences- which would be fine if they didn't end on cliffhangers. Savage for instance is absurd, it's one long zero issue, if you publish that without having a follow up coming within a couple months you are doing a bad job.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

SuperMage wrote:
agent_graves wrote:

SMH.... facepalm
AgentGraves is right.

Problem I see is only A&A, Harbinger and Rai are tentpole titles that should have ongoings other than the 5 current titles. EW, Timewalker, Divinity, Savage, War Mother, Britannia, Imperium, Secret Weapons, Gen Zero, and Dr. Mirage all work better as miniseries.

The other IPs (other than maybe Unity, which hasn’t been fully utilized) are the one-shot/supporting character types, or have yet to be introduced in the VU.

VEI has really done an admirable job of creating new IPs to go along with the VH1 IPs like Divinity, Savage, War Mother, Gen Zero, Imperium and Punk Mambo, but I don’t see DMG being interested in creating new IPs anymore—just concept farming what’s already there.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

tell wrote:I don't care that they aren't using all or even most of their IP at once in the publishing line, I care that they pick up and put down everything so fast. Lately there rarely feels like any natural lead in to a big story, and once it's finished there is no aftermath or consequences- which would be fine if they didn't end on cliffhangers. Savage for instance is absurd, it's one long zero issue, if you publish that without having a follow up coming within a couple months you are doing a bad job.
This.

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

jmatt wrote:
tell wrote:I don't care that they aren't using all or even most of their IP at once in the publishing line, I care that they pick up and put down everything so fast. Lately there rarely feels like any natural lead in to a big story, and once it's finished there is no aftermath or consequences- which would be fine if they didn't end on cliffhangers. Savage for instance is absurd, it's one long zero issue, if you publish that without having a follow up coming within a couple months you are doing a bad job.
This.
Exactly!!
BugsySig wrote:
SuperMage wrote:
agent_graves wrote:

SMH.... facepalm
AgentGraves is right.

Problem I see is only A&A, Harbinger and Rai are tentpole titles that should have ongoings other than the 5 current titles. EW, Timewalker, Divinity, Savage, War Mother, Britannia, Imperium, Secret Weapons, Gen Zero, and Dr. Mirage all work better as miniseries.

The other IPs (other than maybe Unity, which hasn’t been fully utilized) are the one-shot/supporting character types, or have yet to be introduced in the VU.

VEI has really done an admirable job of creating new IPs to go along with the VH1 IPs like Divinity, Savage, War Mother, Gen Zero, Imperium and Punk Mambo, but I don’t see DMG being interested in creating new IPs anymore—just concept farming what’s already there.
So wash, rinse, repeat, with the tentpole characters? I get that, the problem is the company can’t sustain 8 ongoings at a time, for whatever reason, 6 yrs in. The characters you mentioned that, work better as mini’s, sure, some of them. But Divinity and Harada, IMO, could definitely hold down ongoing books. Imperium made it to #16, albeit, sales were pretty low by that point, but hey, the story told was amazing. When it comes to Divinity, it needs to be said, none of his mini’s have dipped down to the 4/5 k range, his sales during the months his books are released, be better than half those tentpole characters, (not counting new #1’s) but still no ongoing love for the new IP, I’m calling foul, lol. Sh!t, if Generation Zero made it to 9, Secret Weapons should easily hit 12. I feel like if they announce a book as an ongoing, and it ends at 12, 16, or 20, it was still an ongoing, as long as the story that was meant to be told, was told. So why sell some characters short, by keeping them regulated to mini series only? All ongoings books don’t make it to #25 or #50, and for the ones that do, it’s not always sales based, as to why they lasted that long. They gotta give more characters a shot, expand, do something, to many IP’s sitting idle....
SuperMage wrote:
agent_graves wrote:

SMH.... facepalm
AgentGraves is right.

I’d like to see a modern take on some of those characters, sh!t, why not.

Man, that line just keeps getting longer... facepalm
#StayValiant

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

:cry: :!: :censored: :cry: :!: :censored:

#StayValiant

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

agent_graves wrote::cry: :!: :censored: :cry: :!: :censored:

That bites! :rant:

agent_graves

Post by agent_graves »

Juki wrote:
agent_graves wrote::cry: :!: :censored: :cry: :!: :censored:

That bites! :rant:

#StayValiant

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

All of this developing discussion reminds me that my general impression of this 'Connected' universe lately is that it feels a lot more disconnected. I think its always been baked in since 2012 to have a 'new reader friendly' vibe that generally impairs the concept of keeping everything connected, but it has certainly become much more prevalent in recent years [the earliest VEI books all felt very connected even when they weren't always referring to anything else specifically]. 6 books a month does nothing to help dispel that feeling.

Somewhere along the way, someone has developed cold feet about growing this publishing line in a physical sense. Sure, we are getting plenty of new characters & titles added to the mix [and its been awesome] - but maintaining momentum with any of it is super tough when physically limited to an average of 6 titles a month. It has been stuck this way for an extended amount of time now.

The HW2 crossover might be the best current concrete example of this wheel-spinning thats just losing traction for me personally. I'm sure it'll be an entertaining read, [and to be clear I intend to pick it up] but a few years ago this would have had at least one additional book tied in somehow for the entire length of it, without being forced or excessive like anything from the Big 2, & we all would have loved it that way. Instead they're making XO basically take a hiatus in his own book with a completely unconnected story.

Someone above mentioned that based on early previews it feels more like a Unity Wars story, and I agree. Despite the storytelling built up around Pete & the Renegades prior to this, what is actually going on in this story? They are hyping it up like a big battle royal between a bunch of Valiant heroes that have nothing to do with Harbinger. Where is Harada in all of it? I really hope he is involved, as it will feel like even more of an oversight to exclude him. It is beyond ridiculous that we've heard nothing from that corner of the Valiant universe in soo long, when it is an ongoing story that has global impact.

I guess it all comes down to business in the end, and ultimately it is disappointing & makes me a little sad that Valiant comics are being overlooked by the general comic-reading audience when they've generally been so damn good.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Well speaking of, here's a preview of HW2 #1

http://www.comicosity.com/first-look-ha ... -wars-2-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far I'm more excited for the Prelude issue by Eric Heisserer and Raúl Allén. There's an Aftermath issue too but I don't believe they announced the creative team for it .... :hm:

EDIT: Did just see this:
Harbinger Wars II will also see the Secret Weapons, Renegades, and the remains of Generation Zero join together for the first time, bringing all the Harbinger activated Psiots together for the first time.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/09 ... eccc-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this, damn:
Ninja-K #6 starts the “Coalition” arc with Jonin, who trained all the ninjas in the MI6 program, has shown back up in Mexico. One of the Ninja agents has gone rogue and Ninjak needs help. Ninjak puts together a team with characters from all over the Valiant Universe, including Punk Mombo, LIvewire, and Gin-R. This arc falls before HWII and will feature the return of many Valiant characters who haven’t been seen in a while.