Ninjak Vs is finally out!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: Ninjak Vs is finally out!!

Post by kjjohanson »

paradise wrote:I posted this on Facebook but I want to repeat it here. We here have been more positive than facebook trolls, so this is not a reflection of anyone, just a request going forward:

Guys, if you criticize acting in what basically is a "fan film" with a budget of what is a daily budget on a Hollywood movie, for the whole set of episodes, check yourself please. Please use this opportunity to introduce new people to the world of Valiant wisely, by not being negative of what is essentially a promotion to make Valiant characters more visible online while waiting for the big screen things to happen. And it's Dinesh's baby, so let's not *SQUEE* on it.
I think that anything that is put out for public consumption is fair game for public criticism. That said, I think we should keep all criticism constructive, whether positive or negative. "I loved it?" or "It sucks!" doesn't really add anything to the conversation. Tell the community *why*
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

paradise wrote:
tell wrote: I'm not the intended audience for this and thats ok. I pretty universally think live-action comic book stuff is awkward and embarassing, I'm only interested in the comics.
LITERALLY, definition of a troll. :) "I don't like these things in general thus I will comment about them and make sure everyone knows my opinion"
I think that's unfair. Trolls have no interest in participating in the conversation. Their sole purpose is to rile people up. That's not what's going on here, as I see it. I think this is a fair point:
tell wrote:Seems kind of funny to me to try to judge this by comparing it to old bad movies though. I read valiant because the books are good, not because they are good when compared to bad old Big 2 books.
And I'm in agreement. I never saw this series as one to compete with Marvel- and DC-based television and movies, so I don't see a point in comparing to them. I saw it as a way to increase awareness of the brand and maybe bring over some Marvel and DC readers. I'm thinking about it in regards to how successful it may be in doing that. For me, that would only work if I see good writing and good characters. I do love the Valiant characters included in the series, but I don't see what I love about them coming through in the writing and performances. (Granted that's going to be somewhat difficult in a short webseries, but there are small personal touches that actors can add, even when they're not the focal point of a scene.)
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I love it for what it is and what I think it was meant to be.
Costumes - GREAT!
Sets & Locations - GREAT!
Props & Weapons - GREAT!
Fight Scenes - GOOD to GREAT!
Casting Actors that Look Like the Comic Characters - GREAT!
Acting - FAIR - They are overacting and the dialogue sometimes seem pretty stiff
Special Effects - GOOD! (Or better taken into context of what it is & meant to be)

One of my biggest criticisms is Roku. I like the comic character. In the LA series, I don't like the eyes and the actress seems to be overacting more than the other characters and she reminds me of a Power Rangers villain.
(Not that I ever watched Power Rangers *cough*. Okay, my sons were young and I would catch glimpses as I walked through the living room. Fine, I sat down and watched it with them... sometimes. Happy now?!? :lol: )

I like a whole lot more than I don't like and am very grateful to Dinesh and everyone else who is responsible for making this a reality. Thanks to all yall! :thumb: :clap:
***Support your local farmers!***

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:One thing that is worrying me a bit is that some fans on Facebook are saying this thing is going to get shut-down after it airs in its entirety this week, never to be hosted online again. I hope thats not the case, that its just a bit of rumour-milling.
This is what I came on this morning to check on. Somebody I was discussing the series with on Discord said the same thing (That the series would only by on Comicbook.com thru Apr 26 or 27th, and that they got that info from Facebook somewhere). I don't Facebook, so I came to see if anyone else was mentioning this, had a source for it, or any more details on why exactly they would do something stupid like this.

If it was some legal thing with Sony, then I can't imagine Sony ever letting them release it in the first place. Putting it out there for a week and then taking it down to lock it away in a 'disney vault' makes no sense. They can't be stupid enough to go through all these delays in getting it released, then take it down a week later in some effort to make it 'rare' like they did with Legends of the Geomancer, right?! If this is supposed to show off Valiant characters to potentially gather new fans for the comics, then it's got to be out there somewhere for people to see. If it's not being released onto Youtube after being exclusive on Comicbook.com (or something like that), then I'm really confused as to why they would bother making something that so few would see in such a short time.

Does anybody that dabbles in Facebook have any posts from any official sources (Valiant, DMG, B.I.T.S., or Sony I guess) about this? Or is it only being spread by individuals saying they've read it somewhere else with no sources or proof? I'd like to know so that I can know if I've got to make the time to get all these episodes in before they disappear. And I'm just curious about why this would be done this way if they are indeed doing it.
First off this is Dineshes baby.
Dmg owns valiant so compairing what they did before ie book of geomacer to this isnt relivant. Its a the same company but owned by different people with different agendas.
It could very well be tossed away. Hopefully not.
Please write valiant and dmg and ask for this video to be made avalibe for sale after its done. Let them know you want this or like this. Now is the time to unite.
They probably only relased it because all this time and money was dumped into it and bat in the sun had a contract and its good for them to.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:One thing that is worrying me a bit is that some fans on Facebook are saying this thing is going to get shut-down after it airs in its entirety this week, never to be hosted online again. I hope thats not the case, that its just a bit of rumour-milling.
This is what I came on this morning to check on. Somebody I was discussing the series with on Discord said the same thing (That the series would only by on Comicbook.com thru Apr 26 or 27th, and that they got that info from Facebook somewhere). I don't Facebook, so I came to see if anyone else was mentioning this, had a source for it, or any more details on why exactly they would do something stupid like this.

If it was some legal thing with Sony, then I can't imagine Sony ever letting them release it in the first place. Putting it out there for a week and then taking it down to lock it away in a 'disney vault' makes no sense. They can't be stupid enough to go through all these delays in getting it released, then take it down a week later in some effort to make it 'rare' like they did with Legends of the Geomancer, right?! If this is supposed to show off Valiant characters to potentially gather new fans for the comics, then it's got to be out there somewhere for people to see. If it's not being released onto Youtube after being exclusive on Comicbook.com (or something like that), then I'm really confused as to why they would bother making something that so few would see in such a short time.

Does anybody that dabbles in Facebook have any posts from any official sources (Valiant, DMG, B.I.T.S., or Sony I guess) about this? Or is it only being spread by individuals saying they've read it somewhere else with no sources or proof? I'd like to know so that I can know if I've got to make the time to get all these episodes in before they disappear. And I'm just curious about why this would be done this way if they are indeed doing it.
On FaceBook, this came directly from Aaron Schoenke. It will be taken down from Comicbookdotcom's site on the 27th. He has not said if there are any other plans with this, but I would wager that this means it won't be going up on his site (youtube) either (why would he say it's being taken down, and not advertise that it's then going on his channel?). Valiant has been quiet the whole time, no one has responded, thus the call to get after DMG.

My personal belief, Mintz wants to bury this. It belonged to Dinesh and not him, so getting rid of it and moving on would be his call. We are half way through this series, and have heard no other plans to place it anywhere else. Schoenke's commented first about this Sunday night, so we shall see if any response happens, but I think there is a reason Valiant is quiet....
Moose

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:On FaceBook, this came directly from Aaron Schoenke. It will be taken down from Comicbookdotcom's site on the 27th. He has not said if there are any other plans with this, but I would wager that this means it won't be going up on his site (youtube) either (why would he say it's being taken down, and not advertise that it's then going on his channel?). Valiant has been quiet the whole time, no one has responded, thus the call to get after DMG.

My personal belief, Mintz wants to bury this. It belonged to Dinesh and not him, so getting rid of it and moving on would be his call. We are half way through this series, and have heard no other plans to place it anywhere else. Schoenke's commented first about this Sunday night, so we shall see if any response happens, but I think there is a reason Valiant is quiet....
If you consider that Ninjak Vs was created to demonstrate the potential of live action for Valiant, in the hopes of finding major investor(s) for big budget movies... well... isn't that DMG?

Imagine a scenario where you perform at a local talent show hoping to sign to a big label. Then, you sign to that big label who wants to take you global. How many times would you expect the big label to show off your local talent show video?

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Aaron is putting up some killer behind the scenes video's and some real cool still pics as well.
Moose

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

greg wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:On FaceBook, this came directly from Aaron Schoenke. It will be taken down from Comicbookdotcom's site on the 27th. He has not said if there are any other plans with this, but I would wager that this means it won't be going up on his site (youtube) either (why would he say it's being taken down, and not advertise that it's then going on his channel?). Valiant has been quiet the whole time, no one has responded, thus the call to get after DMG.

If you consider that Ninjak Vs was created to demonstrate the potential of live action for Valiant, in the hopes of finding major investor(s) for big budget movies... well... isn't that DMG?

Imagine a scenario where you perform at a local talent show hoping to sign to a big label. Then, you sign to that big label who wants to take you global. How many times would you expect the big label to show off your local talent show video?
As annoying as it is. I completely agree with you Greg.

However, I imagine that they will release something for it (possibly just to Youtube) :hope: . Otherwise, unless Dinesh signed a ridiculously locked contract, I imagine that DMG would have cancelled the project completely.
This is what happens when you try to work...

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

jxm640 wrote:
greg wrote:

As annoying as it is. I completely agree with you Greg.

However, I imagine that they will release something for it (possibly just to Youtube) :hope: . Otherwise, unless Dinesh signed a ridiculously locked contract, I imagine that DMG would have cancelled the project completely.
Greg, I would counter your argument with, wasn't Ninjak vs created to bring in another big label so that Valiant could be pulled from DMG? DMG already had a solid hold on everything Valiant. If Ninjak vs created buzz, then another big company could have come along and purchased Valiant from them.

Us the fans had been waiting for this for so long, DMG had to put it out, but that doesn't mean they have to keep it out. It's a reminder of what Valiant/Dinesh was trying to do to get away from DMG, why would they want that constant reminder around?
Moose

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

This is what happens when you try to work...

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

jxm640 wrote:Episode 4 is now available:

http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/04/2 ... ight-here/

LOVED IT.

The "appearance" was great

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

These are fun! Nice seeing the characters portrayed this way.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Episode 4 was great! The plot unfolds more bringing in a new character. I enjoyed it.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Shadowman's entreance and exit from the church... :o :o :o
Moose

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

jxm640 wrote:Episode 4 is now available:

http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/04/2 ... ight-here/
Was looking forward to Shadowman, the special effects were decent, didn’t care to much for the actor...

The inner turmoil amongst Unity, was done well, I felt like the cast really jelled in that scene...
#StayValiant

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

DELETED.
Last edited by leonmallett on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

TheFerg714 wrote:Episode 3 was really good! :clap:
http://comicbook.com/comics/2018/04/23/ ... ight-here/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first half was a cheesy, but had a few standout dialogue bits from Armstrong, Ninjak, and Archer. I really can't stand Gilad's actor at all. I think most of the fault lies in his dialogue, however. Maybe if Armstrong made fun of him for being so uptight, it might come off a little more natural, but we're asked to take everything he's saying so seriously, that it's coming across as forced and awkward.
I really just can't see this team ever training together to boost team camaraderie. Unity's supposed to be made up of people who don't need training, and learn to get along in the heat of battle. ...imo
The Ninjak/X-O fight was SICK! I sort of wish the yellow material on X-O's costume wasn't so obviously fabric, but literally everything else was amazing. :high-five:
greg wrote: Simple question: why comment at all? You aren't the intended audience, you are "only interested in the comics." So, what's the point of even being in this topic? I think it might rhyme with "to bowl".
paradise wrote:LITERALLY, definition of a troll. :) "I don't like these things in general thus I will comment about them and make sure everyone knows my opinion"
You guys need to chill the *SQUEE* out. The guy was just telling his opinion. This thread/forum is literally all about sharing our opinions on entertainment. Of course the thread is going to have positive and negative opinions floating around. I don't think he did it in a troll-y way at all. For someone who's always preaching the gospel of Valiant, I'm surprised you're so quick to jump to pushing away fans like this.
Agreed.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

greg wrote:

This is an analogy I fully agree with; it makes me think the brief release window could be a fan-service thing for the hardcore fans primarily.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Arguably, this web series is not really needed as a calling card - we live in an age of multiple superhero movie releases each year and multiple superhero TV episodes most weeks. The possibilities are now very clear and continue to be stretched.

This series arguably does not serve as a tonal blueprint, nor a design blueprint, and costume design in superhero movies since the first Raimi Spider-man has moved on so much that it is increasingly straightforward for movie-makers to translate iconic costume concepts into more than the black leather of the first X-Men movies, so there is no groundwork being laid that pushes any new boundaries.

I don't see this as a pull for the potential movie brand/franchise(s), although there may be potential for a sales uptick on the comics.

I think it is great for those who are enjoying it, but I am really struggling to see a strong need or purpose for it.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Juki wrote:Episode 4 was great! The plot unfolds more bringing in a new character. I enjoyed it.
Started good and gets better each episode.

/Magnus

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

leonmallett wrote: I am really struggling to see a strong need or purpose for it.
Fun and enjoyment.
I Miss the good old days.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Asking an internet noob question.
Is it posible to download the file?
Can I save it to a disk or something.

Could only access it on my phone, and it kept stopping. Just want to watch it clean through, without streaming delay.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

leonmallett wrote:... I am really struggling to see a strong need or purpose for it.
I was happy to hear either Joe Illidge or Mel Caylo recently mention (here) that calling Valiant a "superhero universe" is an oversimplication because Valiant is all of the genres in one cohesive universe.

This short series demonstrates that well, if the goal is to find potential partners. For example, a big studio might say, "that Shadowman character is the tone we're going for in our next movie" ... while another might say "that Archer & Armstrong duo could be a good season of episodes"... and I would assume the real hope would be that someone would say, "The X-O armor could really be done in a Venom-meets-Iron-Man CGI that would be unbelievable" and have the money to make it happen.

It's a buffet of free samples... from sci-fi to buddy-comedy to dark-mystical to nanite-tech to MI6-ninja... but also a cohesive story. It's supposed to make viewers say "those were good 'flavors', but I'd really like to have more of this one... or these two... and I hated that one..." but the like/dislike answers would be different for everyone. They're all Valiant, so it's a win no matter which flavor is the favorite.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

leonmallett wrote:Arguably, this web series is not really needed as a calling card - we live in an age of multiple superhero movie releases each year and multiple superhero TV episodes most weeks. The possibilities are now very clear and continue to be stretched.

This series arguably does not serve as a tonal blueprint, nor a design blueprint, and costume design in superhero movies since the first Raimi Spider-man has moved on so much that it is increasingly straightforward for movie-makers to translate iconic costume concepts into more than the black leather of the first X-Men movies, so there is no groundwork being laid that pushes any new boundaries.

I don't see this as a pull for the potential movie brand/franchise(s), although there may be potential for a sales uptick on the comics.

I think it is great for those who are enjoying it, but I am really struggling to see a strong need or purpose for it.
Brand recognition. The reality is that none of the Valiant characters have any brand recognition. Yes, a good movie can put a franchise in the spotlight. Guardians of the Galaxy is a good example of this. An obscure comic book property that was elevated to A-lister status because of a successful film adaption. But what if Guardians of the Galaxy (film) wasn't a success? Would Marvel ever bother doing anything with the franchise afterwards? Would it end up forgotten? Most likely. Prior to the film, Guardians of the Galaxy had no brand recognition. the movie was what would make or break the franchise. There have been multiple Superman and Batman films on the other hand. All of which have been on various of the spectrum of critical acclaim to critical failures. The thing is Superman and Batman are already established brands that are immune to the effects of negative film review. The negative reception to the third and fourth Batman films didn't prevent Batman Begins from being a massive success. The negative reception to the Inhumans t.v. show on the other hand completely killed the future of the property. There's no future for the Inhumans, because there's no brand recognition for the Inhumans. Only a single t.v. series that bombed. That will forever be the public's point of reference for the Inhumans. Green Lantern suffered a similar fate. The film bombed, and that basically killed the Animated Series that launched afterwards. Not because the show was bad, but because the movie was so awful it hurt the Green Lantern brand. No one was buying Green Lantern toys, so there was no reason to have a show.

Ninjak Vs. is an essential step for Valiant. Creating a fanbase for these character before they get film adaptions. The movies could make or break these characters. It's harder to break something that already gotten exposure before to hitting the big screens. It's harder to break something that already has a loyal fanbase willing to support a franchise even through its rough patches. The DCEU is still going, despite its critical shortcomings, because the fandom wants to believe that DC will eventually get their stuff together. That's the power of brand recognition. Valiant doesn't have that. Valiant doesn't have a Justice League animated series. It doesn't have a Teen Titans animated series. It doesn't have a CW Arrowverse. It doesn't have DC Nation shorts. It doesn't have an Arkham video game franchise. It doesn't have the hearts and minds of millions of children who group with its characters. Ninjak Vs. is an attempt to do what Marvel and DC did years ago. Start small, and then create a demand for more.

The purpose is simple, to lay down the groundwork for a Valiant Entertainment brand beyond the comics. We need Ninjak Vs., we need a Quantum and Woody t.v. series, we need a Faith animated series, we need a Shadowman video game, we need an Armorines video game, we need Valiant to get some exposure. It'll only make the brand stronger.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Loving it so far, def getting better as we go along, the actors seem to be getting settled into the roles and things are gelling really well. Long time havent posted, kids, divorce, change of careers, all that but cheers to the OG's. I'v been checking in from time to time, especially past few months. Finally got into my old email account so I could log in here.