"...Management Team Talks Post-Sale Changes, Future Plans"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: "...Management Team Talks Post-Sale Changes, Future Plan

Post by Ryan »

melcaylo wrote:Hi, everyone!

Mel Caylo here, Valiant's Director of Marketing. Sorry that it has taken me so long to post on these boards. I hope to be stopping by more often, but please be patient with me if you are looking for a direct response. I'll absolutely try to do my best to get back to you in a timely manner.

I want to clarify what our Executive Editor, Joe Illidge, and I said in the CBR interview. It came off differently than what we meant. In fact, here is an explanation from Joe himself:

"Everything will still be canon with the Valiant Universe. HARBINGER WARS 2 will lead to a thematic shift for the world, and the new status quo will build on everything that has come before since 2012."

You are all still a hugely important part of what Valiant is and will be, and I hope you stick with us. We do care what you think! I know that it will be tough since many of the current team is all fairly new, but I think we've got a good group in place who are committed to crafting, producing, and promoting the best Valiant comics we can. And as we posited in the interview, DMG is here to help – they want us to continue to put out good books!

That being said, we are going to announce some new projects very, very soon. I hope you find them exciting! I sincerely thank you all for your passion for everything Valiant. It's why I have this job! 8-)
Hi Mel,
Is there any interest from the people at Valiant to hear from fans about what they like and don't like from the 2012 relaunch? Maybe some informal surveys about which version of the characters they like, or what it is about specific characters that they have connected with?

I think one of Valiant's most valuable assets is the many fans that have connected with the characters over the years. I imagine it's a diverse group (different ages, professions, country of origin, political views, etc.) with some wildly differing opinions, but it might be valuable grist for the mill to see where those opinions fall along a bell curve.

We all want to see a thriving Valiant, thanks for all your efforts!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Mel Caylo here, Valiant's Director of Marketing. Sorry that it has taken me so long to post on these boards. I hope to be stopping by more often, but please be patient with me if you are looking for a direct response. I'll absolutely try to do my best to get back to you in a timely manner.

I want to clarify what our Executive Editor, Joe Illidge, and I said in the CBR interview. It came off differently than what we meant. In fact, here is an explanation from Joe himself:

"Everything will still be canon with the Valiant Universe. HARBINGER WARS 2 will lead to a thematic shift for the world, and the new status quo will build on everything that has come before since 2012."

You are all still a hugely important part of what Valiant is and will be, and I hope you stick with us. We do care what you think! I know that it will be tough since many of the current team is all fairly new, but I think we've got a good group in place who are committed to crafting, producing, and promoting the best Valiant comics we can. And as we posited in the interview, DMG is here to help – they want us to continue to put out good books!

That being said, we are going to announce some new projects very, very soon. I hope you find them exciting! I sincerely thank you all for your passion for everything Valiant. It's why I have this job! 8-)
Thanks so much for joining up and chiming in to clarify those important points, Mel. This kind of personal touch is some of what many of us fans here have been missing since the DMG takeover. We appreciate you taking the time to come and clear up any misunderstanding that was fomenting due to an unintended word in the previous interview. More than that, I appreciate that someone was reading enough of what us fans were talking about on these boards to realize there was a big misunderstanding, and then took the steps needed to come on here 'in person' and let us know the truth.

I very much look forward to the upcoming announcements (I hope Psi-Lords is one of them!!), and to seeing what kind of status quo change the universe is put through due to the events of HW2.

Thanks again for posting! Even if we don't hear from you (or anybody else at Valiant) very often, I'm comforted to know that someone there is at least reading these boards and hearing us. Just that little bit DOES make a difference.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Kreton
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Kreton »

@melcaylo

Any word on Valiant's Con/Event schedule for the near future?

tanord
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by tanord »

Thanks Mel Caylo and looking forward to the new projects in the coming months.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

With Salvation ending at #12, I wonder how long it will be before (if) there is a new #1?

Of all the titles I thought Bloodshot was the safest to stick around given the movie news. I was wrong.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by betterthanezra »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:With Salvation ending at #12, I wonder how long it will be before (if) there is a new #1?

Of all the titles I thought Bloodshot was the safest to stick around given the movie news. I was wrong.
Not long they will be announcing a new BS Mini next week I hear not sure who is writing it.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

betterthanezra wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:With Salvation ending at #12, I wonder how long it will be before (if) there is a new #1?

Not long they will be announcing a new BS Mini next week I hear not sure who is writing it.

-Brian
Stupid minies.
I Miss the good old days.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian
source?

I wouldn't mind a mini - like a Bloodshot and HARD Corps type of thing as a fallout of HW2 which would then lead into an ongoing solo series. Who knows what DMG are thinking really...

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian
source?

I wouldn't mind a mini - like a Bloodshot and HARD Corps type of thing as a fallout of HW2 which would then lead into an ongoing solo series. Who knows what DMG are thinking really...
Source would be someone recently forced from his position.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Ryan wrote:

Hi Mel,
Is there any interest from the people at Valiant to hear from fans about what they like and don't like from the 2012 relaunch? Maybe some informal surveys about which version of the characters they like, or what it is about specific characters that they have connected with?

I think one of Valiant's most valuable assets is the many fans that have connected with the characters over the years. I imagine it's a diverse group (different ages, professions, country of origin, political views, etc.) with some wildly differing opinions, but it might be valuable grist for the mill to see where those opinions fall along a bell curve.

It is very good of you to come on here and chime in.
I am not sold so easily. Dinesh built something for years and you guys do a hostile take over and I'm some how supposed to be loyal to valiant when Valiant is now DMG. I dont have loyalties to you. And after booting out Dinesh and so far not doing anything no news no announcements other than this failed attempt to reel me back into the fold. You guys have lots and I mean lots of work a head of you can you pull it off I dont know. But you better tie up your layses and get making some captivating joined universe comics. And fast

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

nonplayer wrote:
Ryan wrote:

Hi Mel,

I am not sold so easily. Dinesh built something for years and you guys do a hostile take over and I'm some how supposed to be loyal to valiant when Valiant is now DMG. I dont have loyalties to you. And after booting out Dinesh and so far not doing anything no news no announcements other than this failed attempt to reel me back into the fold. You guys have lots and I mean lots of work a head of you can you pull it off I dont know. But you better tie up your layses and get making some captivating joined universe comics. And fast
Dude, have some manners & try to keep your facts straight when you're going to vent your frustrations. Mel came in after DMG took over Valiant, and he was brought in to fill a position that was vacated by choice. You want to speak your mind & express some anger towards DMG, that's fine & good (and let's all keep them on their toes), but I think it's unfair to directly lump Mel in with the people involved in the hostile takeover and blast him for it. That's about the equivalent of trying to yell at a weatherman for telling you it's going to rain today.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

grendeljd wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
Ryan wrote:

Hi Mel,

Dude, have some manners & try to keep your facts straight when you're going to vent your frustrations. Mel came in after DMG took over Valiant, and he was brought in to fill a position that was vacated by choice. You want to speak your mind & express some anger towards DMG, that's fine & good (and let's all keep them on their toes), but I think it's unfair to directly lump Mel in with the people involved in the hostile takeover and blast him for it. That's about the equivalent of trying to yell at a weatherman for telling you it's going to rain today.
Some people’s social graces get lost when on the internet.

Mel was considerate enough to make an account and post an update for us don’t be rude.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

nonplayer wrote:It is very good of you to come on here and chime in.
Bro, chill out. We're all skeptical of the new management, but you've gotta give them a chance to succeed. It's not their fault that Dinesh and co. got canned.

...that said, I will be in the same boat as you if things haven't changed by the end of 2018.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

TheFerg714 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:It is very good of you to come on here and chime in.
Bro, chill out. We're all skeptical of the new management, but you've gotta give them a chance to succeed. It's not their fault that Dinesh and co. got canned.

...that said, I will be in the same boat as you if things haven't changed by the end of 2018.
How is it not dmg's fault they got canned?
Since the take over I've been giving them a chance. I've not dropped the few titles I'm getting. And hopefully they will catch their stride soon. But as long as xo and blood shot keep going I'm going to give them a chance

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

nonplayer wrote:How is it not dmg's fault they got canned?
Since the take over I've been giving them a chance. I've not dropped the few titles I'm getting. And hopefully they will catch their stride soon. But as long as xo and blood shot keep going I'm going to give them a chance
You are directly quoted saying "you" and "you guys" about DMG's fault to Mel Caylo... who was hired AFTER Dinesh left.

What did Mel do?

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

greg wrote:
You are directly quoted saying "you" and "you guys" about DMG's fault to Mel Caylo... who was hired AFTER Dinesh left.

What did Mel do?
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

greg

Post by greg »

ShadowTuga wrote:
greg wrote:

What did Mel do?
Plus, his diner was outdated... two stars on Yelp.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

greg wrote:

What did Mel do?
I dont know who caylo is. And what your getting at.

greg

Post by greg »

nonplayer wrote:I dont know who caylo is. And what your getting at.
This is a direct quote from you to Mel Caylo:
nonplayer wrote:Dinesh built something for years and you guys do a hostile take over and I'm some how supposed to be loyal to valiant when Valiant is now DMG. I dont have loyalties to you. And after booting out Dinesh and so far not doing anything no news no announcements other than this failed attempt to reel me back into the fold. You guys have lots and I mean lots of work a head of you can you pull it off I dont know. But you better tie up your layses and get making some captivating joined universe comics. And fast
So, nonplayer said to Mel Caylo:
nonplayer wrote:Dinesh built something for years and you guys do a hostile take over and I'm some how supposed to be loyal to valiant when Valiant is now DMG. I dont have loyalties to you. And after booting out Dinesh and so far not doing anything no news no announcements other than this failed attempt to reel me back into the fold. You guys have lots and I mean lots of work a head of you can you pull it off I dont know. But you better tie up your layses and get making some captivating joined universe comics. And fast
Now, you're confused why people are on your case about going off on Mel. :roll:

P.S. If you didn't realize it, the rest of us are very confused by you saying "layses" since that isn't a word and doesn't resemble any actual words. :kidaround:

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

greg wrote:
nonplayer wrote:I dont know who caylo is. And what your getting at.
This is a direct quote from you to Mel Caylo:
So, nonplayer said to Mel Caylo:
Now, you're confused why people are on your case about going off on Mel. :roll:

P.S. If you didn't realize it, the rest of us are very confused by you saying "layses" since that isn't a word and doesn't resemble any actual words. :kidaround:
O caylo the dmg rep that chimed in here.

greg

Post by greg »

nonplayer wrote:O caylo the dmg rep that chimed in here.
Just confirming that you don't actually know who or what you're talking about... a.k.a. Hanlon's razor. :thumb:

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

grendeljd wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
Ryan wrote:

Hi Mel,

Your right homes I am sorry to lump mel into the group he is associated with. I have no beef with mel personally and didnt mean to hurt his feelings or upset him. But I am hopeful he will express my frustrations with dmg and the direction DmG is going with the Valiant characters.
And truly hope they right a water logged ship.

greg

Post by greg »

nonplayer wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Dude, have some manners & try to keep your facts straight when you're going to vent your frustrations. Mel came in after DMG took over Valiant, and he was brought in to fill a position that was vacated by choice. You want to speak your mind & express some anger towards DMG, that's fine & good (and let's all keep them on their toes), but I think it's unfair to directly lump Mel in with the people involved in the hostile takeover and blast him for it. That's about the equivalent of trying to yell at a weatherman for telling you it's going to rain today.
Your right homes I am sorry to lump mel into the group he is associated with. I have no beef with mel personally and didnt mean to hurt his feelings or upset him. But I am hopeful he will express my frustrations with dmg and the direction DmG is going with the Valiant characters.
Frustrations... fine.

Blaming Mel... not fine.

Posting the correction... awesome. :thumb:

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

greg wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Dude, have some manners & try to keep your facts straight when you're going to vent your frustrations. Mel came in after DMG took over Valiant, and he was brought in to fill a position that was vacated by choice. You want to speak your mind & express some anger towards DMG, that's fine & good (and let's all keep them on their toes), but I think it's unfair to directly lump Mel in with the people involved in the hostile takeover and blast him for it. That's about the equivalent of trying to yell at a weatherman for telling you it's going to rain today.
Frustrations... fine.

Blaming Mel... not fine.

I love you Greg I think your a great guy and for running this group for so meny years.
Now if other moderators of other groups had half your Vness
The universe would be a better place .

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
Frustrations... fine.

Blaming Mel... not fine.

+1 :thumb: :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;