Solar #60 Salvator Mundi reference?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tanord
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Solar #60 Salvator Mundi reference?

Post by tanord »

I was amazed at the amount the Salvator Mundi painting sold for and noticed the cover to Solar 60 looks quite similar. Do you think that the cover to Solar 60 was a Salvator Mundi reference? Salvator Mundi translates to 'Savior of the World' and Solar is in what looks like he's in a religious pose in prayer and the earth can be referenced as the globe in the painting. Was that the artist's intention? Apologies if this topic was brought up before.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Solar #60 Salvator Mundi reference?

Post by possumgrease »

I have no insight on this, but that certainly seems possible.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Are you talking about the Jesus Christ/Salvador Mundi painting by Da Vinci?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvator_Mundi

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I don't think so? Solar 60 features both hands uplifted with all fingers extended upward and the Salvator Mundi pose shows one hand uplifted to about the same height with two fingers extended and two curled in while the other hand is held at about stomach height holding the world.

Similar but not similar enough.

Harbinger 14 was an homage to a painting, I just can't remember the name of it.

Sunlight on Snow

Harbinger #14 is a homage to a Michelangelo statue that is inside the St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

tanord

Post by tanord »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:Are you talking about the Jesus Christ/Salvador Mundi painting by Da Vinci?
Yes, that's the one. Thanks for all the responses. The Solar cover is similar but not exact. I was intrigued when I found the translation of Salvator Mundi and knowing Solar is godlike in the Valiant Universe, it looked like the cover was showing that Solar was the savior of earth. I wanted to know what the intention of the artist was being that some of the longtime Valiant fans on this board know many of the talent that worked on the VH-1 universe.

Sunlight on Snow

tanord wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:Are you talking about the Jesus Christ/Salvador Mundi painting by Da Vinci?
Yes, that's the one. Thanks for all the responses. The Solar cover is similar but not exact. I was intrigued when I found the translation of Salvator Mundi and knowing Solar is godlike in the Valiant Universe, it looked like the cover was showing that Solar was the savior of earth. I wanted to know what the intention of the artist was being that some of the longtime Valiant fans on this board know many of the talent that worked on the VH-1 universe.
If Solar was meant to be the savior of the world wouldn't he hold the globe between his hands? :?

Where exactly is he positioned and how do you interpret his facial expression? :hm:

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Man, I just don't see the similarities at all. Placed side by side, they look nothing alike. No direct lines of the gaze with the audience, more of an upward gaze. Both hands raised, vs just one. No orb, just the earth, and it is on the wrong side.

I guess I just don't see it
Moose

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Man, I just don't see the similarities at all. Placed side by side, they look nothing alike. No direct lines of the gaze with the audience, more of an upward gaze. Both hands raised, vs just one. No orb, just the earth, and it is on the wrong side.

Moose

tanord

Post by tanord »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
tanord wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote: If Solar was meant to be the savior of the world wouldn't he hold the globe between his hands? :?

That's why I had said similar but not exact. The globe doesn't have to be exactly in his hands in my opinion. It is just a reference, not a complete copy of Salvator Mundi.
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Where exactly is he positioned and how do you interpret his facial expression? :hm:
It seems like you're looking for an exact copy instead of similar. Anyway, I have seen lots of Jesus Christ paintings where he poses like that of Solar on the cover with his arms out. That's where I got the religious reference, I wasn't focused on his face. And as far as his facial expression is concerned, Solar isn't smiling, neither was Jesus in many Salvator Mundi paintings that I've seen.

tanord

Post by tanord »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Man, I just don't see the similarities at all. Placed side by side, they look nothing alike. No direct lines of the gaze with the audience, more of an upward gaze. Both hands raised, vs just one. No orb, just the earth, and it is on the wrong side.

No worries, I had just asked a question about it. That's why I had wanted the creative on that comic to chime in if at all possible. By the way, the earth is supposed to be synonymous with the orb but, its just my opinion and opinions vary.

Sunlight on Snow

tanord wrote:It seems like you're looking for an exact copy instead of similar. Anyway, I have seen lots of Jesus Christ paintings where he poses like that of Solar on the cover with his arms out. That's where I got the religious reference, I wasn't focused on his face. And as far as his facial expression is concerned, Solar isn't smiling, neither was Jesus in many Salvator Mundi paintings that I've seen.
I'm not looking for anything. It is you who's seeing things nobody else does and keeps ignoring that Solar's turning and looking away with an indifferent look on his face as if he had already given up on (saving) Earth. It's hilarious how hard you're trying to compare Leonardo's Jesus to a guy in a red spandex jumpsuit with a nuclear symbol on his chest. :lol:

tanord

Post by tanord »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
tanord wrote:It seems like you're looking for an exact copy instead of similar. Anyway, I have seen lots of Jesus Christ paintings where he poses like that of Solar on the cover with his arms out. That's where I got the religious reference, I wasn't focused on his face. And as far as his facial expression is concerned, Solar isn't smiling, neither was Jesus in many Salvator Mundi paintings that I've seen.
I'm not looking for anything. It is you who's seeing things nobody else does and keeps ignoring that Solar's turning and looking away with an indifferent look on his face as if he had already given up on (saving) Earth. It's hilarious how hard you're trying to compare Leonardo's Jesus to a guy in a red spandex jumpsuit with a nuclear symbol on his chest. :lol:

You're being intellectually dishonest here saying you're not looking for anything but a flame war. Chiclo, another forum member on this thread said that he thinks that the two pictures are similar but not similar enough, so there's at least some similarity by his opinion. Remember, the topic was just asking a question and giving your opinions and if you looked at my earlier posts on this thread, I had welcomed all opinions and I thought the topic was discussed and the thread would move on but, some d.ickhead named Sunlight on Snow decided to bring the topic back up again. No need to be rude or a d.ickhead Sunlight.

Here is a Salvator Mundi interpretation by Daniel Arrhakis.

But by your opinion, Sunlight on Snow, this wouldn't be a Salvator Mundi reference because Jesus's eyes are closed in this painting. You would also probably say something stupid like, "Oh, his head is positioned wrong as well." That's how ridiculous your reasoning is.

Here's the website: https://fineartamerica.com/featured/sal ... hakis.html
Feel free to tell the actual artist that you didn't think that he portrayed a Salvator Mundi correctly because you think the head positioning is off and the eyes are closed. Kind of like how Sunlight on Snow is.
Now, I'm a long time board member here and I admit that I hadn't post in a while so after coming back to the Valiant fans forum and receiving this type of treatment from this guy Sunlight, I can see why other Valiant fans might not want to come to the forums to talk about Valiant because they don't want to deal with someone like Sunlight on Snow. Again, I had originally only asked a question and had thought that the topic was already discussed and moved on.
Last edited by tanord on Thu May 24, 2018 4:53:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tanord

Post by tanord »

tanord wrote: No worries, I had just asked a question about it. That's why I had wanted the creative on that comic to chime in if at all possible.

This is a direct quote that I had said right before Sunlight on Snow started his lame flame. Obviously he completely ignored it because he wanted to start a flame war. I had also wanted the creative to chime in but I'm thinking Sunlight on Snow doesn't work in comics. No wonder he ignored it.

Sunlight on Snow

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by giving you an honest answer.

Thanks for calling me rude and names in return. Much appreciated!

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I'm not seeing it either. The things that make the painting symbolic, (the fingers, the hand holding an orb, the halo) aren't there. The whole composition is different.

tanord

Post by tanord »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by giving you an honest answer.

Thanks for calling me rude and names in return. Much appreciated!
Anyone that reads through this thread knows the vitriol that you had posted earlier.

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thanks for calling me rude and names in return. Much appreciated!
Sarcastic much? Or did I get the interpretation of this quote by you wrong? There's this passive-aggressiveness coming from you like you give your opinion but, you want to be brash and cynical about it.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »