Valiant Unveils a Slate of Four All-New Series

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

https://www.cbr.com/valiant-reveals-fou ... incursion/

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: Valiant Unveils a Slate of Four All-New Series

Post by Keith »

Ok, Incursion. You have my interest!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Looks like Bloodshot is the only on-going series. The rest are all listed as limited series.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Livewire has the right art team... but that title font...might take some time to grow on me. Not real excited about more Faith, but Mirage and Animalia are good signs. don't know much about the Bloodshot team, but these all look like things I'd buy.

nwoslave
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nwoslave »

Sign me up.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Not unexpected after reading the interview where they kept saying they were going to go after new readers with more diversity. Centering the universe around Bloodshot makes sense with the movie.

I get the thinking behind the forced diversity angle (expand the readership), but it hasn't been working for Marvel so I'm skeptical that it's going to work for Valiant. Is there anyone out there clamoring for a Faith or Livewire series? I don't understand the logic in comics these days that companies aren't interested in giving the readers(customers) what they want. I guess they're thinking it's time to go after a new reader?

Looks like they're moving from Top Shelf writers to Black Mask writers. I haven't read enough to really have an opinion, but I can say 'Valiant Beyond' looks even less appealing to me than current Valiant.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

All of those sound good to me, especially Incursion.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Ryan wrote:
I get the thinking behind the forced diversity angle (expand the readership), but it hasn't been working for Marvel so I'm skeptical that it's going to work for Valiant. Is there anyone out there clamoring for a Faith or Livewire series? I don't understand the logic in comics these days that companies aren't interested in giving the readers(customers) what they want. I guess they're thinking it's time to go after a new reader?
Um, I think there has been a MASSIVE calling for more information or a series regarding Livewire, many of those calls have been coming directly from this page! Livewire has been the hottest character coming from Valiant in a long time, so much hype, so much anticipation. This series will all depend on just how Matt Kindt writes Livewire, and how well that series goes off, as this is direct fallout from that story. Still, I think it will be a great story, as I am one of the many that want more about Livewire.

Faith.... Well, I can see why they would bring back Jody Houser and put her back on this book. Since the original mini, there hasn't been much positive buzz about Faith. Mixing Dr Mirage is an obvious play here, as they are trying to force her onto the main stage. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dr Mirage in a mini all by herself next. I do expect her to play a large roll in "Incursion" series, as anything to do with Deadside will probably involve her, even if it is alien based...
Moose

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Um, I think there has been a MASSIVE calling for more information or a series regarding Livewire, many of those calls have been coming directly from this page! Livewire has been the hottest character coming from Valiant in a long time, so much hype, so much anticipation. This series will all depend on just how Matt Kindt writes Livewire, and how well that series goes off, as this is direct fallout from that story. Still, I think it will be a great story, as I am one of the many that want more about Livewire.

Faith.... Well, I can see why they would bring back Jody Houser and put her back on this book. Since the original mini, there hasn't been much positive buzz about Faith. Mixing Dr Mirage is an obvious play here, as they are trying to force her onto the main stage. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dr Mirage in a mini all by herself next. I do expect her to play a large roll in "Incursion" series, as anything to do with Deadside will probably involve her, even if it is alien based...
I'm definitely in the boat of massively wanting a Livewire series.

I'd love more Mirage. So I hope she has her own title again, with Hwen.

I just read through MOTHER PANIC and if Jody Houser can bring that kind of sophistication to a Faith title this time around I'd be much happier. But it's not that I don't like faith, I just don't care for light reads. Future Force was actually fun. But then again, I'm probably not the demographic that Valiant is trying to reach with a FAITH title.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I'll check all these out but this is really the make it or break moment for Valiant going forward. I'm also glad they are finally giving Livewire her own mini!

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

mkb28 wrote:Looks like Bloodshot is the only on-going series. The rest are all listed as limited series.
I missed that thanks for spotting that. One word dam facepalm
I Miss the good old days.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Hmmmm... not blown away by the creative teams... I’ve never heard of some of them :?

Faith - I’ll give this a miss, too light and Winter Wonderland (aka War on Christmas) was the straw that broke the camels back!

Bloodshot - will keep an open mind but never heard of writer/artists before

Livewire - wouldn’t say I was clamouring for a solo book but I will buy it, I think a mini is the most this character can carry. Glad about the art team on the book, no idea about the writer.

Incursion - not keen on Diggle’s Shadowman (do people really say ‘damn’ that often? :lol: ), but am intrigued and will buy this mini.

Overall though, I’m not inspired by the new editors choices in writers for these new launches.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Looking forward to all of them except the Faith After School Specials.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I hope incursurion is something already explored prior. Not something new. I would love to see them revisit that strange place from imperium. And or connect it to what searches out harada pr comes to earth in death of harbinger.
If it doesnt they are missing a great connective plot point.
Glad bloodshot is coming back and going back to prs days. This is a great way to bring excitment back to the series.
Because latly it's been boring.
Seeing livewire with her own series means she killed millions of people sent the usa into the dark ages. Made it so all other countries has an up on the usa undermining their security and she survives warbinger wars. I'm not at all excited about that. I understand shes the strongest female charater and to diversify for diversity sake they need to keep her around. But I call balony. She needs jail time for her actions.
Faith well that's inevitable. What about xo manowar?
I Miss the good old days.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

kinggirlfriend wrote:this is really the make it or break moment for Valiant going forward.
I'm uncomfortable with calling these 4 titles "make or break," because the only traditionally solid seller that is represented here is the Bloodshot series. As long as it continues interest in Bloodshot continuing from the Lemire run, all should be well. And why wouldn't it, as I assume more movie news should trickle in as this series runs. I see the others as legitimate attempts to do something interesting with the wider Valiant universe. Remember, sustained interest in XO, Bloodshot, Shadowman, and Ninja-K are currently the lifeblood of Valiant's publishing line. Getting a solid Harbinger title in there (maybe a relaunch is in the cards after the Livewire mini and the Dysart series?) makes a lot of sense too.

The first thing I noticed were the striking colors of the promo art and logos. It's almost as though the Valiant Universe is undergoing a Massafara transformation, which I think is cool. Jody Houser will be handling the new Doctor Who line for Titan (with the female Doctor,) so I'm glad she's back now that her Young Animal Gotham AD series is ending. I read almost everything from Aftershock, Vault, and Black Mask, so I'm rather pumped to see what the writers of the Dregs, Come Into Me, and the Wilds might do when given control of some corner of the Valiant Universe. Which appears to be expanding into other planes, if Incursion is any indication. So glad that Raul Allen and Patricia Martin are staying on after Heisserer's departure. I could not be more pleased, except that I hope that Jeff Lemire is not gone for good. Perhaps he will be again be writing the Bloodshot title again upon the movie's release?

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Not pumped by any of these titles.

Where does this leave Bloodshot in current continuity? Seems strange to go back to PRS when it’s all about Omen now. Not on board at all.

What about Harbinger? Que the tumbleweeds

Faith and Dr. Mirage? Meh. A Dr. Mirage mini would’ve been better. Way better.

Diggle on Incursion? Does this mean his Shadowman run will end when this comes out? I’m kinda over the event books which don’t really go anywhere...

Nothing really coming out of the mess that is HW2 so far except for the Livewire mini which I may pick up as a trade but that largely depends on how HW2 pans out...

Overall hype level for these announcements: 2/10. I hear the new Hulk series and the new Man of Steel series are pretty good, might go check those out.
Last edited by Bl00dsh0t on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:44:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

Not that big a fan of Faith, but the others I pick up. Awesome sauce.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by TheFerg714 »

Well I went to go check out Vita Ayala's Twitter, and looks like I'm already blocked...

I've literally never heard of her before.

I really have no idea what to think of these announcements...
Faith- I'll get the first issue, but The Faithless was disappointing, Future Force was awful, and Winter Wonderland was boring.

Bloodshot- I'll try it out, but I'm kind of bored with Bloodshot's past.

Livewire- I'm down. Hope it doesn't suck! :high-five:

Incursion- I'm not super into magic-y superhero stories, so I'm not excited. We'll see though.

krylox
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong

Post by krylox »

The writers of Bloodshot are the most interesting up-and-comers of 2018 (check out their excellent mini-series for Black Mask and their short but very good run on Cable right now). Sophisticated but to the point storytelling, those guys are really excellent!! It's quite a surprise that Valiant managed to grab them. This will be amazing.

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Jrosen »

The Dregs was my favorite series that I read last year. Very excited to see what they can do with Bloodshot, which, it follows anything like the Dregs, is about to get very dark.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Ryan wrote:Not unexpected after reading the interview where they kept saying they were going to go after new readers with more diversity. Centering the universe around Bloodshot makes sense with the movie.

Looks like they're moving from Top Shelf writers to Black Mask writers. I haven't read enough to really have an opinion, but I can say 'Valiant Beyond' looks even less appealing to me than current Valiant.
Nah dude, I think you're trying too hard. I'm just as skeptical as you are of identity politics infiltrating Valiant, but I don't think this lineup of books really proves anything.
I'll agree that no one is clamoring for a Faith book, but I think people actually really want Livewire to have her own series. She's been a major player since ~2013. It makes sense that she would get a shot at her own series eventually. I don't know anything about the writer, but she does have me blocked on Twitter, and I haven't posted a single controversial thing, besides maybe #movetheneedle. That makes me worried, and it's super annoying when people have the mindset of: "Well there's a black female lead character, we need to find a black female writer!" That logic is stupid, but I'm still going in open-minded. The inclusion of Raul Allen and Patricia Martin help.
Bloodshot has two white guys writing and Ken Lashley is a fairly distinguished artist with a nice looking resume.
And finally, Incursion looks to be directly launching off of Shadowman, which is an already existing property.

I understand your apprehension, but I just think you might be crying wolf right now.

EDIT: OH MY GOD Where is Harbinger? Why the :censored: aren't they launching a new Harbinger title off the back of HW2? Ok, now that I've remembered that, I'm actively annoyed.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:I'll check all these out but this is really the make it or break moment for Valiant going forward. I'm also glad they are finally giving Livewire her own mini!
I 100% agree, and it would be silly to not think this. This is DMG's first chance to show us that they care and can competently create new comics that are just as good as anything VEI did.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

To be honest, I’m somewhat surprised that there HAS NOT been a Livewire book published yet. It’s time.

Another books I would like to see is...

Neela, Timewalker.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:I would love to see them revisit that strange place from imperium.
+1

I'm content to see what they bring; no pre-conceived expectations will help.

Didn't read much of the article but are they saying these are in addition to other titles, or the only four titles that are forthcoming?

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

DirtbagSailor wrote:To be honest, I’m somewhat surprised that there HAS NOT been a Livewire book published yet. It’s time.

Another books I would like to see is...

Neela, Timewalker.
This.

It's time for her own book :thumb: