Faith Solo Film Announcement Coming Later Today?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tevans333
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Faith Solo Film Announcement Coming Later Today?

Post by tevans333 »

Rumor has it an announcement for a solo Faith film is coming today. Thoughts? I’d rather see focus on Bloodshot and Harbinger first before additional films. I’d hate to see things get spread too thin and the quality to suffer.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Faith Solo Film Announcement Coming Later Today?

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Eh.

I like Faith, I really do. But where she works best is being the voice of hope and excitement in a group that is mismanaged and otherwise dangerous.

I'd be afraid that the film would just be 'that fat girl superhero' movie to audiences if it follows her series of her trying to have a secret identity while listing all the pop culture references current nerds are supposed to be in love with. She can be more than that.

But, what if the 'Harbinger' origin story is told via Faith's origin, then the Harbinger film would be them on the run after Faith helps Peter escape from Harada at the end of her film...and Harbinger is about them picking up the rest of the crew leading straight into Harbinger War.... then they could kind of get away from anything more than an implication of what Peter does to Kris...

Or maybe this is just an announcement that is after the first Harbinger Film, she'll get her own standalone.

Can I start the screaming for a Livewire solo film?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I think that all those Faith variants will pop. People just cleaned me out of all my cheap slabs on eBay. Things I couldn't sell for months - practically giving them away!

Sell them now if you can!

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I could find zero information on this, where are you pulling this rumor from?
Moose

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nycjadie wrote:I think that all those Faith variants will pop. People just cleaned me out of all my cheap slabs on eBay. Things I couldn't sell for months - practically giving them away!

Curious, are you talking Faith slabs or just cheap slabs?
Moose

RDNacho
Valiant fan since: '90s Unity
Favorite character: The Goat, Shadowman, Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman, Q&W
Favorite writer: Shooter, Kindt
Favorite artist: LaRosa, Crain, Fowler, Suayan

Post by RDNacho »

Key comic collector app had an alert for subscribing customers.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Been selling Faith out of my eBay store all morning. Got the app alert. Hope we hear an official announcement.
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

SlyTrooper
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite artist: Paolo Rivera

Post by SlyTrooper »

I'm not gonna lie, I really don't like Faith all that much. She's fine as a supporting character, in fact she's great as one, but I honestly like every other Valiant character more. I've never understood the whole 'obese superhero representation' thing. As someone who used to be overweight and got in shape it just seems like a way for people to excuse their bad habits because that's what Faith is.

Anyway, now that I've got that said, I am actually happy if this gets announced. Don't get me wrong, it is a ridiculous decision and any other character deserves a solo film first, but if this is necessary for more Valiant films to be made then I'm all for it. Who knows if that Harbinger movie will get made, so this is the next best thing. Although this should be a Harbinger film announcement instead.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

With as popular as Faith's first mini was, this could be a good thing (weather you like Faith or not). It could really catapult into the known, and seriously help out the Harbinger movies.

Bloodshot has Vin, and that might be enough to start movement, but if Faith is anything like her first mini, and she is cast in the Harbinger movie, you can seriously start to build momentum. Look at Faith as a tool to get more people interested in the Harbinger movies, if that works, then Harbinger Wars is more likely!
Moose

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

This was leaked a few months back, when Secret Weapons was first being released. Supposedly Dino and Co. were developing multiple spin-offs of Harbinger is the film performed well. Basically all related Harbinger books are (allegedly) being optioned off as a potential film franchises if Harbinger does well. Faith, and Secret Weapons were on the list of potential films. Can't remember who else was mentioned, because I think the article was taken down. Kind of like that marketing sheet that was posted a while back that showed how various Valiant properties were being developed for other media.

A Faith movie probably wouldn't be a straight forward superhero movie anyway. It could be The Devil Wears Prada meets Matilda starring Rebel Wilson.
SlyTrooper wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I really don't like Faith all that much. She's fine as a supporting character, in fact she's great as one, but I honestly like every other Valiant character more. I've never understood the whole 'obese superhero representation' thing. As someone who used to be overweight and got in shape it just seems like a way for people to excuse their bad habits because that's what Faith is.
Faith has always been heavyset, even when she debuted in the 90s. I doubt she'll be "obese" in the film. Her body type in the comics isn't even very consistent. Some artist draw her as being obese, others just draw her as being "thicc"/curvy with wide hips and big bust. Interestingly enough, weight only seems to become an issue when it's a woman. Armstrong is a fat drunk, but no one seems to have an issue with him. You don't see any hate comments on any Archer & Armstrong related videos, but plenty of people will be quick to attack Faith and say her one true weakness is diabetes. Where's the criticism for Armstrong? Where's his hate?

Besides Faith isn't even consistently drawn as being "obese"

Obese Faith

"Thicc" Faith

Steffania Ferrario is considered to be a "plus sized" Austrailian model. Does she look fat to you? She's average, but the Australian modeling industry claims she's "too fat".

SlyTrooper wrote: Anyway, now that I've got that said, I am actually happy if this gets announced. Don't get me wrong, it is a ridiculous decision and any other character deserves a solo film first, but if this is necessary for more Valiant films to be made then I'm all for it. Who knows if that Harbinger movie will get made, so this is the next best thing. Although this should be a Harbinger film announcement instead.
I highly doubt Faith will get her own movie before Harbinger. Harbinger already had its announcement alongside Bloodshot, this is just the third film to be announced for Sony's Valiantverse. Like I said before, there's been rumors that Harbinger is meant to produce multiple spin-offs which would include Faith and Secret Weapons. If Bloodshot is successful we'll probably start hearing about H.A.R.D. Corps and Livewire movies entering production. Right now it's too early to tell. All of the projects are just in pre-production right now. The order in which they're released, or if they're even released, is anyone's guess. A Faith movie could be announced tomorrow, and end up on the backburner for years. Just like Sinister Six, and Silver and Black.

JeffBohn
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ninja-K
Favorite title: Ninja-K

Post by JeffBohn »

Rebel Wilson just picked up a different comic book movie yesterday (Crowded from Image). Maybe she's on a comic movie spree? Maybe the wires got crossed and news about that got mixed with Faith somehow? Maybe she's not involved at all!

Also, I think she's too old for the part (sorry!), especially if you consider multiple movies. I could see her as an executive producer or something though.

SlyTrooper
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite artist: Paolo Rivera

Post by SlyTrooper »

SuperMage wrote:Faith has always been heavyset, even when she debuted in the 90s. I doubt she'll be "obese" in the film. Her body type in the comics isn't even very consistent. Some artist draw her as being obese, others just draw her as being "thicc"/curvy with wide hips and big bust. Interestingly enough, weight only seems to become an issue when it's a woman. Armstrong is a fat drunk, but no one seems to have an issue with him. You don't see any hate comments on any Archer & Armstrong related videos, but plenty of people will be quick to attack Faith and say her one true weakness is diabetes. Where's the criticism for Armstrong? Where's his hate?
It's nothing to do with her being a woman or anything like that. Come on now, that's not what I was implying at all. The difference between her and Armstrong is that Aram is shown to be a drunk slob. His drinking and weight are never shown in a positive light. Faith's weight on the other hand is presented positively for the purposes of 'representation'. She is pushed to the front all the time because of this. Even when people want to see other more popular characters explored further in the comics, they are constantly pushed aside for Faith. It's fine to have a character be overweight. Like I said earlier, I actually think Faith is a great supporting character. But as a solo character, she's not up to par. I would say the same if Torque, Flamingo or Kris had their own solo titles.

Just to clarify though, if you like Faith that is cool. I respect that not everybody will feel the same as me. I just have issues with her character and the way she is used by Valiant.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

nycjadie wrote:I think that all those Faith variants will pop. People just cleaned me out of all my cheap slabs on eBay. Things I couldn't sell for months - practically giving them away!

My Faith 1 CGC Variant CGC 9.8 sold today after a long time on eBay. Plus, the competitors Faith slab that I was watching sold today as well. I just ran a quick search of Sold listings on eBay for Faith CGC Valiant and there were 12 reported sales today of Faith related slabs.

Time to get my stack of Faith 1-4 Coover 1:20 variants and my Faith 1 1:50 Variants to CGC. :hm:

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

This is good news - whilst Faith isn't my ideal choice, I think a solo movie could have mass appeal and bring in readers who otherwise wouldn't have checked out anything to do with Valiant.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

It will be a comedy with that girl from Pitch Perfect - you know the one..

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

IMJ wrote:It will be a comedy with that girl from Pitch Perfect - you know the one..
That's Rebel Wilson. She's 38 years old.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
IMJ wrote:It will be a comedy with that girl from Pitch Perfect - you know the one..
That's Rebel Wilson. She's 38 years old.
I guess a Rebel Wilson led comedy/superhero movie could be okay, but I think she's WAY too old. They will really need to find a 20-25 year old to play the part, which honestly shouldn't be that hard.

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

Hollywood’s 1st Plus Sized Superhero? Sony Sets Maria Melnik To Script Pic On Valiant Comics Hero ‘Faith’
https://deadline.com/2018/06/faith-plus ... 202419224/

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

I googled that girl and I can't find a reason why anyone would think "Faith", based on looks alone. Is she a good actress? :?
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

ShadowTuga wrote:I googled that girl and I can't find a reason why anyone would think "Faith", based on looks alone. Is she a good actress? :?
Are you talking about Maria Melnik?
She's going to write the film, she's not the actress.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

jaden_sai wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:I googled that girl and I can't find a reason why anyone would think "Faith", based on looks alone. Is she a good actress? :?
Are you talking about Maria Melnik?
She's going to write the film, she's not the actress.
Seppuku by stupidity. Linked to the article, scrolled to the picture, googled the person and came here posting. facepalm facepalm facepalm

Kids, don't do this at home unless you want to be an idiot like Uncle Tuga here.

And thank you, jaden. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:This is good news - whilst Faith isn't my ideal choice, I think a solo movie could have mass appeal and bring in readers who otherwise wouldn't have checked out anything to do with Valiant.
Like others, there are many other characters I'm more interested in seeing on the big screen. But Faith has a unique angle that could get noticed among the many superhero movies set to come out.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I'm with people who think she works better as a supporting character. She brings the innocence and lightheartedness to the team and can be a good relief from the more serious characters. I never thought she was that compelling as a solo character though. Even in the 90s series when she took over as leader at issue 26 that's pretty much when the series went downhill fast.

It just seems like people in hollywood/the media trying to show how 'inclusive' they are. The thing is people like this kind of fiction to escape and fantasize about idealized humanity. The majority of comic book fans are overweight, balding, average looking men, so why don't any of the heroes look like that? Because that's not why people read this stuff.

If it's all about everyone being 'included', where are the elderly heroes? Or heroes with lazy eye? It's just silly, no one wants this except executives who get to pat themselves on the back for how 'woke' they are.

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

Great news.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

SuperMage wrote:"Thicc" Faith

Steffania Ferrario is considered to be a "plus sized" Austrailian model. Does she look fat to you? She's average, but the Australian modeling industry claims she's "too fat".
NOTE: Would 100% smash.