Bob Layton’s Hot Take

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Bob Layton’s Hot Take

Post by possumgrease »

Marvel and DC will stop printing comics.

https://movieweb.com/marvel-dc-stop-mak ... ob-layton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since no timeframe was given, I’m going say this eventually 100% true.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Bob Layton’s Hot Take

Post by jmatt »

possumgrease wrote:Since no timeframe was given, I’m going say this eventually 100% true.
Yeah, well it's hard to be wrong with a caveat like that.

But I don't see it any time soon. Yes, publishing comics is lunch money to a corporation like Disney. But that's also a reason they might keep publishing, it's inconsequential.

Would they really want to cheese off the entire pop culture fandom by essentially ending the comic book industry? For every person that reads comics, there's ten thousand that would be upset by the destruction of this piece of Americana pop. Even if it's just breaking even, there's still value to them in preserving it.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Bob Layton’s Hot Take

Post by greg »

Either DC or Marvel could easily pull a New Coke trick (except, on purpose). Tell the world they won't sell comics at all. Not paper, not digital... nothing new. Keep making them behind the scenes (have the creators sign non-disclosure). Let the public uproar last 5 months. Then put out a 4-issue trade and the latest single issue for every title they were still making the whole time.

Sales for the trades and the single issues for all titles would spike temporarily. Reboots never really succeed past #3, but this would guarantee a huge sales win for 5 issues. That's as far ahead as Marvel and DC ever plan anyway. They would also sell tons of the "final" regular issues before the "end". Sales records to approach the 1990s.

Either Marvel could say Thanos destroyed the whole universe (instead of half), or DC could double-down on Marvel/Thanos popularity by shockingly killing everyone.

5 months later, we find out how the universe was saved by the heroes in the quantum/afterlife/alternate reality and brought back... Solar style.