Valiant Comics - Why Don't I Feel More Excited?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Valiant Comics - Why Don't I Feel More Excited?

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I've read nearly everything Valiant has put out since the relaunch in 2012, buying most of the monthlies and topping up with trades / comixology specials here and there.

Whilst I'm enjoying Ninaj-K, Quantum and Woody, Shadowman, and am looking forward to Bloodshot Rising Spirit in November I just don't have the same hype levels as years gone by.

I think a large part is the HWII mess and the frequent cancellation of series, while missing titles which haven't been around for a while (Rai, Eternal Warrior, Archer and Archer, a decent team book, etc.).

The Bloodshot movie news is great, but I feel like the line is lacking overall, especially with the new titles:

Faith: Dreamside - not into it.
Livewire - if its anything like HWII then I'm off
Incursion - I'm over Valiant events which will 'change the universe forever', please.... Armor Hunters, 4001, Stalinverse, book of death... nothing has really changed much at all...

Could just be me, what are other fans thinking about the state of Valiant at the moment?

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Valiant Comics - Why Don't I Feel More Excited?

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

While I know i'll read all the upcoming titles. the board's lack of enthusiasm has been infectious. Instead of growing there's a swap of titles. I'm hoping Illidge will get some more things going, but I want to chock it up to a transitional period. I'm hoping that when Incursion hits the new management will have a lot more confidence.

I wish there was a UNITY or an ongoing VALIANT UNIVERSE title that allowed the characters without their own ongoing to have a 1 or 2 issue story arc. The one shots drive me nuts... I do not like that I have to make the effort to add them to my pull list and they usually aren't worth the extra expense of buying them when a shipping cost is involved.

I like the idea of Britannia and Faith having yearly minis. If they don't have a clear ongoing idea for A&A, just an event Delinquents-like adventure mini once a year would be great too. A lot of Image titles have a couple month's hiatus' between story arcs, and I'd be fine with that too if it meant they could sneak in another title... if they truly are constrained to a set number of books per month.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I think it goes to show you how difficult and subtle what Dinesh and Co were doing is. I think this is all to do with the new valiant. Think about it. Until this year we were all excited about Valiant. We had amazing books like X-O Manowar and great new characters like Divinity. But 6 months later and Harbinger Wars 2 is the first real step up to bat and flop from Valiant (and I don't doubt that Dinesh, Warren and Eric Heisserer leaving or being pushed out was the sole cause). Dinesh was amazing at teasing and watching the slow growth and escalation of the universe. Something the new people don't seem to have a clue about. Dinesh and Warren were going to follow up HW2 with a crazy new direction and a Gold Key crossover by Matt Kindt and Alex Ross for the hardcore fans who were skeptical of the new direction. That's Shooter-esque. Instead we get a Bloodshot origin story that directly contradicts what's coming in Dinesh's movie version and a bunch of books like Livewire and Faith that would have been afterthoughts in any previous line up. Where's the beef? And you see this lack of care in every aspect. Where is the marketing for the movie on Twitter and Facebook? Where is the hype for the upcoming books? Where is the teasing? Why do the stories feel like either stories that were done by Dinesh and Warren and hadn't been put out yet (Dysart's new book) or auto pilot stories with nothing new to offer. Where is the care even in the covers? I saw a new Quantum & Woody foil cover and Valiant called it Chromium!? They don't even know the difference. What's worse the foil was on Woody's dress shirt...that's what people what, foil dress shirts... Never would have happened with the real Valiant team. We can't expect Valiant to lose Dinesh, Warren, Hunter, Atom!, Eric Heisserer, Lewis LaRosa, Mico, Lemire and so many more and not tank. Frankly, we should give them props for only becoming mediocre so far.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

New interview, with Heisserer https://jumpcutonline.com/2018/08/19/er ... eenwriter/
Do you have any passion projects or a kind of writing bucket list that you’d like to take on one day? Perhaps certain characters, worlds or topics you’d like to put your own spin on?
I would love to adapt the characters I made for the limited series Secret Weapons, the comic book I wrote for Valiant Comics. I adore those characters and I miss writing them.
The last four words are the ones that suck. the takeover really yanked the rug out from people that were truly passionate about the books.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Yeah, I've felt kinda guilty about falling out of love lately so I haven't been posting as much here because frankly I don't want to come off as negative. But I can't fake love for something that just isn't there. Except for NINJA-K nothing is grabbing me right now. I only started reading VEI in 2016. In those two years I've read everything, but I still consider myself a new reader. As such it feels weird to criticize something I feel I've only just got into. But the wheels have really come off quite fast haven't they? Failure to execute the HW2 hype built up over 2 years, followed by the announcement of a bunch of lackluster looking titles. I trade wait and normally pre-order them so I can get them as soon as they come out. But so far I haven't bothered to pick up BLOODSHOT SALVATION Vol 2, Q&W Volume 1, SHADOWMAN Volume 1 and I will probably pass on NINJAK VS. I'll stick around for X-O a little longer but right now I'm mostly only here for NINJA-K and BRITANNIA. It was a good run of books, 5 years worth with only a slight hiccup here and there so I can't be too angry. It's just such a damn shame. What Dinesh and Warren did cannot be easily replicated.
syzhang28 wrote:Dinesh and Warren were going to follow up HW2 with a crazy new direction and a Gold Key crossover by Matt Kindt and Alex Ross for the hardcore fans who were skeptical of the new direction. That's Shooter-esque.
Wait, what now?!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

In the beginning of the new Valiant, many of us were excited, probably based on an element of nostalgia but also the promise of new material and the idea that it may also reinvigorate our old collections.

But after the initial cancellation of the core, ongoing launch titles happened, and the company transitioned into a mini-series publisher, I think things lost a lot of steam. And you can tell by the direction of the conversation here as now it's mostly about excitement over a hot variant, or ratio book rather than the actual story content or being invested in the actual characters.
Last edited by IMJ on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:45:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I think the departure of Dinesh has left a massive hole. His enthusiasm was infectious and his appearances on podcasts got fans pumped for the books. The new titles planned are by relative unknowns and many of the best talents have left so I guess readers are unsure about the immediate future.

I guess it would help if the new guys engaged more with the fans on forums like this and on podcasts. They seem to pump other books as much or more than they pump Valiant books :? However, even with the best will in the world it’s unlikely they can rival Dinesh’s drive and motivation.

So I guess a lull in motivation is normal given the rocky year we’ve had, let’s just hope the new books get everyone excited again. I’m not interested in the Faith book but will be buying the others. Seems an odd move to make the new Bloodshot book about the past?

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I agree with so much of what has been said. To combine IMJ's comments with some of the others, it seems that Dinesh's enthusiasm helped to mask that the Valiant universe had gone into stasis -- plot was not moving forward and characters were becoming flat, but pay no attention because here's a miniseries to tide you over. Ninjak has been a nice exception and has been consistently good in all its iterations with VEI.

All that being said, I hope things will turnaround soon.

Spylocke
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

My enthusiasm ebbed when the titles I liked and looked forward to were cancelled or changed writers. I think the only one I have a vague interest now is Shadowman and I'm pretty iffy on it. I used to plan my trips to the comic book store around new issues of Dysart's Harbinger and Van Lente's Archer and Armstrong. Now I'm not sure if there is a book from Valiant I'm willing to pay four bucks an issue for.

Every month I eagerly read Valiant's solicitations to see if Rai or Timewalker will make a comeback or we finally get a Hard Corps series.
Maybe it's my age but lately there aren't that many books I'm willing to pay four bucks an issue to read.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Spylocke wrote:My enthusiasm ebbed when the titles I liked and looked forward to were cancelled or changed writers. I think the only one I have a vague interest now is Shadowman and I'm pretty iffy on it. I used to plan my trips to the comic book store around new issues of Dysart's Harbinger and Van Lente's Archer and Armstrong. Now I'm not sure if there is a book from Valiant I'm willing to pay four bucks an issue for.

Every month I eagerly read Valiant's solicitations to see if Rai or Timewalker will make a comeback or we finally get a Hard Corps series.
Maybe it's my age but lately there aren't that many books I'm willing to pay four bucks an issue to read.
Yup. I can't believe they had a book as high caliber as Rai and didn't start somehow universe building around it. Or that Archer & Armstrong had a fairly definitive creative team in the beginning and didn't push that more. So many mistakes.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I suppose the takeover and transition has been bumpy and yes, I miss some of my favorite writers.. as well as Dino's cheer leading. But DMG and the new crew is just getting started and I think things will pick up soon.

One related thought I was having earlier today was that I miss the cohesive vision of what was the 4001 titles in VH1 with Magnus and Rai. North Am and the milespires, the Gophs and Goph speak, the mellovapors, etc... but mostly the tensions between the robots, freewills and the humans (and the anti-Grannies of Rai). There was a society and culture imbued throughout that is lacking in the current version.

I can't even really say what the VEI world looks like in 4001 since we see so little of it. I am under no illusion that they will ever recreate that world as we knew it, but an ongoing 4001 book with a new character would excite me anew.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by TheFerg714 »

1) I'm a little less than excited as well. Ninja-K is great, X-O and Q&W are really good, Salvation was boring, I haven't decided how I feel on Shadowman's yet, and HWII is a big stinker. There have been times in the last few years where I've been more into DC then Valiant, but now I consistently find myself, week-by-week being more motivated to go to the store by Hawkman, Justice League, or Green Lanterns than any Valiant book.

2) Wow, I'm seeing a lot of negativity for Valiant post-phase 1 (for lack of a better word). Personally, I think Valiant totally swung back after cancelling the first wave of books. Valisnt Next was amazing, 2016 was rough but contained a few awesome new IP's, and 2017 saw a real return to form with X-O, Secret Weapons, and Ninja-K.
I'm not very happy with current Valiant, but since 2012, they've been batting with a 4/5 average easily.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote: 2) Wow, I'm seeing a lot of negativity for Valiant post-phase 1 (for lack of a better word). Personally, I think Valiant totally swung back after cancelling the first wave of books. Valisnt Next was amazing, 2016 was rough but contained a few awesome new IP's, and 2017 saw a real return to form with X-O, Secret Weapons, and Ninja-K.
I'm not very happy with current Valiant, but since 2012, they've been batting with a 4/5 average easily.
Quoted for truth. Valiant got better with every year in my opinion. After 2012 we had Harbinger Wars, The Valiant, Divinity, Bloodshot Reborn, X-O Manowar, Ninjak, Timewalker not to mention that Unity arc 1 was amazing, Shadowman #0 and 10 are amazing, Quantum & Woody arc 1 is amazing, Doctor Mirage vol 1 is amazing etc etc etc

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

Dinesh's entire plan was to get Valiant to break into the print market by building relationships with retailers, and gaining Valiant exposure in other media. The retailers never took Valiant seriously, despite being the only non-Marvel/DC universe publishing books at the time, and DMG basically sabotaged Bloodshot so it could be released in 2020 instead of 2017. It was obvious Valiant was counting on that media exposure to get more comic readers interested in Valiant, but delays kept screwing things up. Valiant tried publishing material to expand the universe while still sticking to the eight book limit, and that lead to the rotational publishing schedule that started to lead to Valiant as a whole losing steam. Things got a little bad at the end of 2016, but things started picking up again during 2017. Everything was starting get more hyped as we got closer to Harbinger Wars II, but then DMG happened. All that build up was for nothing.

Watching Archer & Armstrong and Harbinger both get cancelled twice with no word on when a third volume for either book will come out really hurts morale. Those books are pillars, and their second runs only got 12 and 8 issues respectively. Bloodshot, and X-O Manowar pretty much prove that consistent publication is better long term than indefinite hiatuses between volumes. Bloodshot might have gone through a couple of #1s, but it never felt like Bloodshot was losing steam. There were only ever a few gaps between new volumes. Same for X-O. The problem was when only two out your five pillars were constantly publishing new stories. After a while that hurts momentum. It should have been that Harbinger, A&A, Shadowman, Bloodshot, and X-O were constantly coming out with new books each month, and the sixth slot could be reserved for a rotational book.

I think I mentioned this before, but the core issue is how many characters/books are left in limbo because of the eight book limit. There are six lines, and almost 45 books all waiting in line for their turn. As the original post points out, this is the first rotation where the new crop books just don't seem to have much appeal to anyone. Knowing that Quantum and Woody is getting cancelled (again) even though they (allegedly) have a show in development makes things even worse. Things have been rocky before, but Valiant has always managed to bounce back. DMG doesn't inspire that same level of faith in me, and they've yet do anything to convince me they can turn things around.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

My Valiant list on twitter (a list of Valiant staff/creators/writers etc.) is about 1/3rd actual Valiant-related content (at this stage largely rehashing that CBR announcement of Valiant Beyond titles over and over) and 2/3rds other independent/mainstream comics shout-outs and political views. There's just no hype at the moment.

Valiant prided itself on being a connected universe - we don't have that and haven't had it for a while now.

I think we need to see a regular core slate of titles all set in the same period which periodically link into one another with a couple of titles like Britannia / Eternal Warrior / Rai set in a different timeline for some diversity.

At the moment we've got:
- Bloodshot, ended, not sure when it is set - pre HWII I presume
- Quantum and Woody: current day but in another 'world' at the moment
- Ninja-K: not really sure where this sits, pre #11 I'd say it's set pre HWII
- XO: title has been set off world
- Shadowman: 3 issues pre HWII (I think though it's hard to tell), title now exploring the character's history
- HWII - Current day

That's not connected. Remember when Harbinger, Bloodshot, XO, and Archer & Armstrong were all part of the same timeline? That was cool.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

The point above about the lack of connectedness is certainly valid. And I guess I’ll take a wait and see about the glass cover. But I am really looking forward to the new slate of titles. I’ve said it before elsewhere, but I actually loved Houser on Faith, as well as on Mother Panic for DC. I also think Ayala’s The Wilds and Zac Thompson’s Dregs are really strong works. Weird, because I haven’t cared much for Diggle’s stuff until this run on Shadowman. So I’m maybe not so much DOOM right now.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:My Valiant list on twitter (a list of Valiant staff/creators/writers etc.) is about 1/3rd actual Valiant-related content (at this stage largely rehashing that CBR announcement of Valiant Beyond titles over and over) and 2/3rds other independent/mainstream comics shout-outs and political views. There's just no hype at the moment.
Yep, correct!

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

November solicits have hit...HWII concludes in Sep with HWII Aftermath - this 'earth shattering' event has NO flow-on the current slate of titles. Granted, Livewire looks to be set after this, however it'll be 3 months after the event series.

If I wasn't locked into my pre-orders 2 months in advance I would've dropped HWII.

As it stands, unless something changes I'll be steadily dropping Valiant with each cancelled series:

Q&W ending Nov drops my Valiant books to 3 come Dec with Ninja-K likely to end at #14, dropping it to just 2 come Jan 2019.

Hopefully the company surprises me and my enthusiasm returns as I do enjoy these characters.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Why don't I feel as excited about Valiant as I used to? Combination of things I suppose:

1) When I first discovered Valiant everything was new, shiny and exciting, and I enjoyed all the speculation on the boards about what new titles would be bringing to the table, how they'd play out, how they'd work etc... Well, now we have a large portion of the VU established, we know how things work, and it's just not as exciting anymore. This was always inevitable, but the continued publication of good quality books could have theoretically meant that this wouldn't become a problem, as the interested would have shifted toward "What will happen next with this character/setting/event etc, but things would still never be quite as exciting as when the VU was establishing itself.

2) I used to really enjoy reading all the chat in the Published Issues section of the board. I've always picked up my stack once per month so I've always been slightly behind on the discussion, but that's never been a problem. These days however I'm living in a rural area and I have other important things that need doing, such as preparation of combustible fuel for the coming winter, and I just don't have the time to sit reading through these threads any more. That used to be an important part of the 'Valiant Experience' for me, and without it things just aren't as fun, even without any drop in quality of the books.

3) DMG Takeover: This really knocked the wind out of my sails. Despite everything I've read to date, I still predict that we'll get another five years tops out of DMG's ownership of Valiant, and then the company will either cease to exist or be sold off and undergo God knows what in an effort to breathe some life back into the brand. This being how I feel about things, it's hard to be excited about anything that's happening when I sense that the end is already in sight.

4) In accordance with the former point, the loss of almost the entire original senior management team and a good portion of the creative staff does not fill me with excitement for the near or distant future of Valiant.

5) Things to be excited about: At the moment there's very little that I'm actually excited about in the VU. I'm currently very much enjoying Ninja-K, XO Manowar, Quantum and Woody!, Bloodshot Salvation, and am hoping to also enjoy Britannia: LeoR when I'm able to read it. I'm also quite interested in seeing what Incursion and the new Livewire comics bring to the table, and talk of a new Dysart Harbinger-related title is also interesting, but I'm not actually excited by any of these titles, except perhaps XO Manowar which I devour enthusiastically. I mean, with the exception of XO, that there's no title each month that I'm absolutely dying to read, which is a shame.

6) Things I'm not interested in: I've never been that interested in variants, regardless of whether they're gold covers, chromium, metal, glass, wrap-around, interlocking or whatever. I'm also not all that interested in Valiant outside the medium of comics. Sure, if things do eventually occur I'll very likely check them out of curiosity, but on the whole I just want to read great comics and I don't really care about any other media. I don't own any of the card/board/video games and I don't really care about the Bloodshot, Harbinger or Faith movies or the Q+W/Dr. Mirage tv shows. The trouble with this is that most of the chatter about Valiant these days is to do with the screen-based media, which I have little interest in.

7) I'm missing variety in the VU. I've always loved the idea that there would only ever be so many comics on the shelf at one time that I could afford to read everything - brilliant idea. However, I wonder that the '8 titles per month' publishing scheme has ultimately limited the company, insofar as there literally isn't enough room to get enough out at any one point in time, meaning that some characters/teams have to spend so long sitting in the dark that people lose interest in them. I'm honestly not sure to what degree sales figures have influenced VEI's publishing plans, but in an ideal world I'd love a situation where a number of ongoing 'pillar' titles are in more or less constant publication (such as XO Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Shadowman, Archer and Armstrong/Ivar/Eternal Warrior, Ninjak, Rai, Divinity, Quantum and Woody for example), and other 'linked' titles, such as Armourines, Psi-lords, HARD Corps, Gen 0, Dr. Mirage, Savage, Britannia, Faith, Livewire etc., come and go from time to time as good creative ideas are pitched to editorial. Realistically I don't know if this possible, as has been the case with Eternal Warrior over the years: the title just doesn't seem to hold onto a large enough readership to keep itself afloat, so at this point in time would be unlikely to sustain as an ongoing title regardless of how brilliant I think it is. That said, I think the rotational publishing plan that Valiant have utilised to date has possibly done the company more harm than good.

8) Adhering to the status quo: It's rather well accepted, I believe, that comics sustain not by changing but by providing the illusion of change. Over the years, Valiant has promised us a number of events that will 'change the VU forever', such as Harbinger Wars, Armourines, HWII, etc. However, as these events have come and gone I personally don't feel that anything truly significant has really changed. I am pleased that previous events continue to be referenced in modern comics (such as Ninjak referencing GIN-GR nuking Mexico City during Armourines in Ninja-K), however, I don't feel that any truly meaningful change really has been brought about as a result of these 'events'. Sure, Harbinger Wars gave us Gen 0: a year or two after the event occurred, meaning all excitement for the group had long since died off, and where are they now after their 8 issue run? 4001AD culminated in the destruction of New Japan: Great event, loved it, but what's happened in the 4001 timeline since Rai set foot on Earth? Literally nothing :| I may just be a radical here, but when I read comics I want to see genuine progression and meaningful change occurring, rather than characters running through the same old circles again and again, and I'm starting to feel like the VU is starting to run in circles. I've read the first three or four issues of the new Shadowman comic, and whilst I'm enjoying it, it feels like the formula has gone straight back to the start of the Zircher run: Jack struggles to contain his Loa and has to find a way to deal with it, he has a gang of Abettors aiding him and a scary voodoo enemy to frustrate him. Since Shadowman first hit the shelves in 2012 this is the only plotline that's really occurred: nothing's changed.

Overall, I enjoy reading the comics each month when they fall through my letterbox, but I'm just not as excited about the whole affair as I used to be. It's a shame, but with things as they are as mentioned above I think the new ownership at Valiant is going to have to pull something genuinely great out of the bag and sustain it to drive some excitement for the company back into me, rather than leaving me in the current pattern of Enjoy Valiant comic delivery - Forget about Valiant - Enjoy next Valiant comic Delivery pattern that I'm in.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Shadowman99 wrote:

8) Adhering to the status quo: It's rather well accepted, I believe, that comics sustain not by changing but by providing the illusion of change. Over the years, Valiant has promised us a number of events that will 'change the VU forever', such as Harbinger Wars, Armourines, HWII, etc. However, as these events have come and gone I personally don't feel that anything truly significant has really changed. I am pleased that previous events continue to be referenced in modern comics (such as Ninjak referencing GIN-GR nuking Mexico City during Armourines in Ninja-K), however, I don't feel that any truly meaningful change really has been brought about as a result of these 'events'. Sure, Harbinger Wars gave us Gen 0: a year or two after the event occurred, meaning all excitement for the group had long since died off, and where are they now after their 8 issue run? 4001AD culminated in the destruction of New Japan: Great event, loved it, but what's happened in the 4001 timeline since Rai set foot on Earth? Literally nothing :| I may just be a radical here, but when I read comics I want to see genuine progression and meaningful change occurring, rather than characters running through the same old circles again and again, and I'm starting to feel like the VU is starting to run in circles. I've read the first three or four issues of the new Shadowman comic, and whilst I'm enjoying it, it feels like the formula has gone straight back to the start of the Zircher run: Jack struggles to contain his Loa and has to find a way to deal with it, he has a gang of Abettors aiding him and a scary voodoo enemy to frustrate him. Since Shadowman first hit the shelves in 2012 this is the only plotline that's really occurred: nothing's changed.

Overall, I enjoy reading the comics each month when they fall through my letterbox, but I'm just not as excited about the whole affair as I used to be. It's a shame, but with things as they are as mentioned above I think the new ownership at Valiant is going to have to pull something genuinely great out of the bag and sustain it to drive some excitement for the company back into me, rather than leaving me in the current pattern of Enjoy Valiant comic delivery - Forget about Valiant - Enjoy next Valiant comic Delivery pattern that I'm in.

100% agree with this. Incursion, whilst initially sounded good, fills me with little excitement due to above point you articulated. These events have no flow-on. Gen 0 2 years later? Armor Hunters (some Mexico City references aside there's be no fallout), 4001 (it's been over a year - and NOTHING), and what about the Red Brigade? Where are they all? Kostily had a small role in Ninja-K but that's pretty much it.

As much as I hate to say it, I can see me having 0 Valiant titles in my pull list after Bloodshot Rising Spirit #8 (Joe Illidge said during a Previews World interview it's an 8-issue series (hardly ongoing!).

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

[quote="
syzhang28 wrote:Dinesh and Warren were going to follow up HW2 with a crazy new direction and a Gold Key crossover by Matt Kindt and Alex Ross for the hardcore fans who were skeptical of the new direction. That's Shooter-esque.
Wait, what now?![/quote]

I hurd this too. Alpha being a big part.
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

IMJ wrote:In the beginning of the new Valiant, many of us were excited, probably based on an element of nostalgia but also the promise of new material and the idea that it may also reinvigorate our old collections.

But after the initial cancellation of the core, ongoing launch titles happened, and the company transitioned into a mini-series publisher, I think things lost a lot of steam. And you can tell by the direction of the conversation here as now it's mostly about excitement over a hot variant, or ratio book rather than the actual story content or being invested in the actual characters.
True dat. Nobody even comments on books any more its like people avoid talking because they have nothing good to say
I Miss the good old days.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

nonplayer wrote:[quote="
Wait, what now?!
I hurd this too. Alpha being a big part.[/quote]

Damn this would've been great! Shame it's not happening :cry:

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:
nonplayer wrote:[quote="
Wait, what now?!
I hurd this too. Alpha being a big part.
Damn this would've been great! Shame it's not happening :cry:[/quote]

I don't know, I know a lot of people on here would have enjoyed this as a result of pure nostalgia alone, but in honesty I really don't think the VU has any need of the Gold Key characters. Not really. I mean, I think Turok could fit in somewhere like the Lost Land or wherever it is Savage's events are occurring, and Magnus could slot in nicely with the 4001 universe, but I fail to see where Solar would have any meaningful presence now that Divinity's kicking his ball around the field. Maybe this could have been fun as a non-canon event, but I doubt anyone here would want anything 'non-canon' if they could help it :?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Yeah I feel like the ship with the Gold Key characters sailed away along time ago. The thing I like about VEI is that they are 100% original Valiant creations. I don't want crossovers with the Gold Key characters just like I hope they don't ever crossover with the Ninja Turtles or anything equally asinine. Just tell me stories with the characters you already got. Novelty isn't the answer.