Instock Trades/DCBS to collect sales tax in certain states

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Instock Trades/DCBS to collect sales tax in certain states

Post by possumgrease »

Public Service Announcement:

I saw this on another board. I did not receive the email because I am not in one of the affected states. Looks like you've got a few days to order books before they will start collecting tax. Of course, this is technically inconsequential since we all report our online sales on our individual state returns, right?

"Hi,

Because of the recent Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., regarding sales tax for online orders, DCBS, InStockTrades, and Tales of Wonder will be required to charge sales tax on order payments for certain states beginning October 1st. Sales tax for these states will automatically begin appearing in the shopping cart for orders placed on or after October 1st. For DCBS and Tales of Wonder orders that have been placed before October 1st but are unpaid, sales tax will be applied on October 1st to the unpaid portion of the order.

A list of states with an October 1st start date are:

Colorado

Hawaii
Illinois
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
New Jersey
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin"

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU
Re: Instock Trades/DCBS to collect sales tax in certain stat

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I grew up in Illinois where reading material (books, magazines, periodicals, comics, newspapers, etc.) isn't taxed. I guess the idea is to hopefully encourage people to read. Now I live in Arizona where those things are taxed like any other item. And it shows. Because people here are retarded.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

kinggirlfriend wrote:I grew up in Illinois where reading material (books, magazines, periodicals, comics, newspapers, etc.) isn't taxed.
That's really interesting. I have been trying to get my state to abandon its tax on food and groceries for years. It hadn't even occurred to me to add comics as a tax free item.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Tax on food and groceries?? Wtf! I’d say shoot the legislation.. and I’m not in Texas!
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

Aram wrote:Tax on food and groceries?? Wtf! I’d say shoot the legislation.. and I’m not in Texas!
yeah. My soapbox is that it is a disproportionate tax on the poor because a wealthy person and a poor person eat about the same amount of bread each week, but the cost of a loaf is a much larger percentage of income to the poor person. At 9% sales tax, that adds up. True, the wealthier person may buy a more expensive loaf, but it just doesn’t sit well with me.

Hoffymawn
2 posts down, 2 million to go
2 posts down, 2 million to go
Re: Instock Trades/DCBS to collect sales tax in certain states

Post by Hoffymawn »

The new tax law requires online retailers to collect sales tax from customers in states with no physical presence. This means that many online retailers will now have to collect sales tax from their customers. For example, if you buy a book from Amazon, they will collect sales tax because they have offices in every state. Many states require you to report purchases made at retailers without a physical presence in your state. To make the tax subject easier, I can advise you to read how to get a paystub online. It will make your tax process more satisfying.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Wayfair resolved the tax issue in terms of 'economic nexus' thresholds tied to the modern digital world economy rather than purely traditional physical nexus. It helps even the playing field for brick & mortar businesses.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

aleramin
paulsmith56 is my hero
paulsmith56 is my hero
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: shadowman
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Steven Massarsky
Favorite artist: Bob_Layton

Post by aleramin »

It's so interesting to see how taxes are settings in a way that you even don't know what you pay. But to be honest, I don't know too for what I pay a lot of money because a company calculated all my taxes and costs for me. And of course, for all, it's written out, in case I want to see where my money was given for. Anyway if you have a company with the same problems, their tax nic calculator could help you. I don't know what I would do if I didn't find this opportunity. In your place I ould started a boycott t if I wouldn't agree with this taxes.