Dr. Mirage returns!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Dr. Mirage returns!

Post by BugsySig »

https://www.newsarama.com/45105-doctor- ... twist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: Dr. Mirage returns!

Post by magnus20009 »

:high-five:

This is great. I love Dr Mirage

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

That Phillip Tan cover looks great!

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Dr. Mirage returns!

Post by AnarchoMambo »

...and I love Visaggio’s work. Dr Mirage’s character will be a really good match for her. I believe that I have read everything that she has done, and I have suggested Eternity Girl and Kim & Kim to others. Exciting!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

AnarchoMambo wrote:...and I love Visaggio’s work. Dr Mirage’s character will be a really good match for her. I believe that I have read everything that she has done, and I have suggested Eternity Girl and Kim & Kim to others. Exciting!
Yeah, after some questionable initial decisions and products following the DMG take over, the recent announcements have been pretty exciting overall. The new series they've been announcing show a good understanding of bringing in underused/underappreciated talent to the books a la Dino and Warren, and a willingness to produce titles involving lesser known IPs (Punk Mambo, Psi-Lords, Dr. Mirage, etc).

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Noticing a political pattern some of with Valiant’s recent hires, makes me question the motivation behind it? Once again this is not the hiring of top, established talent. Given the low number of books Valiant puts out you may be forgiven for thinking they’d go for a more tried and tested route. :?

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

AnarchoMambo wrote:...and I love Visaggio’s work. Dr Mirage’s character will be a really good match for her. I believe that I have read everything that she has done, and I have suggested Eternity Girl and Kim & Kim to others. Exciting!
I picked up Eternity Girl for my daughter and she enjoyed it, so I'll have to track down Kim & Kim for her to try too :clap:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Love Mirage. Bummed that Jen Van Meter isn't writing the story, especially as the first was such a runaway hit for Valiant with multiple awards. If it were me, I'd stick with a good thing and continuity.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Noticing a political pattern some of with Valiant’s recent hires, makes me question the motivation behind it? Once again this is not the hiring of top, established talent. Given the low number of books Valiant puts out you may be forgiven for thinking they’d go for a more tried and tested route. :?
There is 100% this going on. I'm pretty much out except for Tim Seeley's Bloodshot. Valiant's gonna be sinking.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Jrosen »

BugsySig wrote:
Yeah, after some questionable initial decisions and products following the DMG take over, the recent announcements have been pretty exciting overall. The new series they've been announcing show a good understanding of bringing in underused/underappreciated talent to the books a la Dino and Warren, and a willingness to produce titles involving lesser known IPs (Punk Mambo, Psi-Lords, Dr. Mirage, etc).
Totally agree. I'm all for bringing in young and hungry talent with an indie flare.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Noticing a political pattern some of with Valiant’s recent hires, makes me question the motivation behind it? Once again this is not the hiring of top, established talent. Given the low number of books Valiant puts out you may be forgiven for thinking they’d go for a more tried and tested route. :?
I don't see the poltical pattern in any of the stories you are alluding to, and I'd much rather them go out and pick some risky writers/artists that aren't married to the same-old same-old.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Can't wait I love this character

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Eager to see what they do with it. :thumb:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

nycjadie wrote:Love Mirage. Bummed that Jen Van Meter isn't writing the story, especially as the first was such a runaway hit for Valiant with multiple awards. If it were me, I'd stick with a good thing and continuity.
I have it on good authority that there were problems with JVM getting her scripts in on time. Mainly the second mini, but enough to cause some friction with the rest of the creative team.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

The good: Wow, that cover is sick, and holy *SQUEE* the logo is mindblowingly awesome. I also love that De La Torre is being replaced. His artwork is gorgeous, but doesn't fit the tone of a romance book imo. I wasn't the biggest fan of Van Meter's run in general, so I can't say I'm unhappy (or unsurprised) about Valiant finding a new writer either.

The bad: I will try the first issue, because I always give Valiant the benefit of the doubt, and they've been making great decisions lately, but honestly I've never really been a huge fan of the character. Also, I've heard bad things about Visaggio's writing, but I've never read anything by her, so I can't really judge until I try. :?
Creators like Heather Antos, B Clay Moore, Magdalene Visaggio, Vita Ayala all are known for their outspoken political beliefs on Twitter. This doesn't really matter that much, but it does seem to be becoming a bit of a trend for Valiant. Honestly, if the books are good, which they have been (for the most part), I couldn't care less. I just hope it doesn't lead to obvious political leanings in the comics.
I do disagree with your second statement though. Valiant has always been a company that might pull from the top every once in a while (Lemire, Bunn, Kindt), but generally hires lesser-known talent, and I think that's a great thing.
Jrosen wrote:I don't see the poltical pattern in any of the stories you are alluding to, and I'd much rather them go out and pick some risky writers/artists that aren't married to the same-old same-old.
Agreed.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Jrosen wrote:
I don't see the poltical pattern in any of the stories you are alluding to, and I'd much rather them go out and pick some risky writers/artists that aren't married to the same-old same-old.
Actually in Livewire her brother turns out to be ‘non-binary’ and in Forgotten Queen obviously a central point of the story is that she is lesbian. However, that isn’t my point, it’s the *choice* of writers and so far they’ve been very mediocre. What’s the purpose of the company now, to make great stories or teach us lessons? :?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote:The good: Wow, that cover is sick, and holy *SQUEE* the logo is mindblowingly awesome. I also love that De La Torre is being replaced. His artwork is gorgeous, but doesn't fit the tone of a romance book imo. I wasn't the biggest fan of Van Meter's run in general, so I can't say I'm unhappy (or unsurprised) about Valiant finding a new writer either.

The bad: I will try the first issue, because I always give Valiant the benefit of the doubt, and they've been making great decisions lately, but honestly I've never really been a huge fan of the character. Also, I've heard bad things about Visaggio's writing, but I've never read anything by her, so I can't really judge until I try. :?
Creators like Heather Antos, B Clay Moore, Magdalene Visaggio, Vita Ayala all are known for their outspoken political beliefs on Twitter. This doesn't really matter that much, but it does seem to be becoming a bit of a trend for Valiant. Honestly, if the books are good, which they have been (for the most part), I couldn't care less. I just hope it doesn't lead to obvious political leanings in the comics.
I do disagree with your second statement though. Valiant has always been a company that might pull from the top every once in a while (Lemire, Bunn, Kindt), but generally hires lesser-known talent, and I think that's a great thing.
I agree on giving lesser known talent a try but let it be on the content of their work eg Venditti on Surrogates, not because they share political beliefs.

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Jrosen wrote:
Actually in Livewire her brother turns out to be ‘non-binary’ and in Forgotten Queen obviously a central point of the story is that she is lesbian. However, that isn’t my point, it’s the *choice* of writers and so far they’ve been very mediocre. What’s the purpose of the company now, to make great stories or teach us lessons? :?
I'm still confused on what political pattern you are talking about. Are you just discouraged because of non-heterosexual characters in the stories?

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Jrosen wrote:
I'm still confused on what political pattern you are talking about. Are you just discouraged because of non-heterosexual characters in the stories?

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Actually in Livewire her brother turns out to be ‘non-binary’ and in Forgotten Queen obviously a central point of the story is that she is lesbian. However, that isn’t my point, it’s the *choice* of writers and so far they’ve been very mediocre. What’s the purpose of the company now, to make great stories or teach us lessons? :?
Just the fact that Forgotten Queen exists gives credence to your ideas. Literally no one was asking for this, but we still got it for some reason. I found myself rolling my eyes when I realized it was going to be a lesbian love story. What other writers do you think have been mediocre?
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I agree on giving lesser known talent a try but let it be on the content of their work eg Venditti on Surrogates, not because they share political beliefs.
I agree, and I hope Valiant doesn't fall down that rabbit hole. The one positive thing I have to say is that these new hires are relatively big names. Visaggio has gotten around the last couple of years. Off the top of my head, I know she's worked for DC, Marvel, Image, IDW, and probably more. Ayala has also done work with DC and Marvel, as well as a few indie books. Similarly, while Antos may be controversial, everyone knows who she is. So while it might look bad on the surface, at least they're not plucking random non-comic fans from the internet to write their books, just because they have the right politics, gender, sexuality or what have you. *cough*Marvel*cough*

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Jrosen wrote:
And simply depicting a particular characteristic is political?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Actually in Livewire her brother turns out to be ‘non-binary’ and in Forgotten Queen obviously a central point of the story is that she is lesbian. However, that isn’t my point, it’s the *choice* of writers and so far they’ve been very mediocre. What’s the purpose of the company now, to make great stories or teach us lessons? :?
Just the fact that Forgotten Queen exists gives credence to your ideas. Literally no one was asking for this, but we still got it for some reason. I found myself rolling my eyes when I realized it was going to be a lesbian love story. What other writers do you think have been mediocre?
Considering Valiant's lack of top-tier antagonists, I figured War Monger would be back eventually after the Unity arc, especially since with immortality, a character could be deated a number fo ways but still be available for use later. So I'm happy they brought her back, and I think the story is good so far.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

The recent hires are this: Not the average white comic book guy.

That's fine, and probably a really good thing, but that's generally who buys comic books, especially hero books. So if you hire a pretty young editor with tons of makeup, who mixes up headline characters at a convention panel, bats her eyes and sings out words to get a reaction, then you have to deal with the fact that regular comic book dudes are going to question the hire.

Maybe. Maybe. Maybe a great story can get past things like that, with amazing interiors and covers. But not hanging out at the booth, connecting with fans (or even artists), etc. is not going to help either.

I'm just watching on the sidelines. Not picking sides.

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

TheFerg714 wrote:The bad: I will try the first issue, because I always give Valiant the benefit of the doubt, and they've been making great decisions lately, but honestly I've never really been a huge fan of the character. Also, I've heard bad things about Visaggio's writing, but I've never read anything by her, so I can't really judge until I try. :?
I find her work good. She's nominated for an Eisner for Eternity Girl, which was fantastic.

I think this is a great hire.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Was it political when Jan Van Meter wrote the first two arcs? Asking for a friend? :hm: :? :P