VALIANT APRIL 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: VALIANT APRIL 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES

Post by kjjohanson »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
232 Life & Death of Toyo Harada 2 Valiant 5,683... Shocked! :o (-17K)
For me, this mean that it is time for fans/collectors to double down on this book. While there are no incentive variants, there are multiple cover and it is possible that over time these become hard to obtain, at least in decent condition. I suspect by the time we get to LADOTH #6, the print run may well be in the 3-4K range, and while an example of a publishing tragedy (see also: Imperium), this is also an early warning to us to NOT wait to pick up these issues, or overlook them accidentally.
370 Divinity 1 Dollar Debut Valiant 2,040
This one is interesting. Different cover from other Divinity books (and also the previous One Dollar Debut), and with thin cover stock. I bought 25 copies, and submitted 3 to CGC (received 3x 9.8s).
This is why I've been pre-ordering multiple copies of each new book, and also hitting Midtown Comics on released day. (They order Valiant in decent numbers, so there's a better chance of finding potential 9.8s.

Pre-ordering a stack of Dollar Debuts might be a good way to get new fans interested. Not sure how successful the convention previews are, since they only contain a few story pages, but handing people a complete issue might help convert people. I think I just sold someone today on picking up the GIT drive with the digital collection.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I’ve been supporting Midtown as well with these (about 4 of each cover).

I like Midtown, and also Impulse Creations in that I (usually) receive grade-able raws that result in a high 9.8 submission rate.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

TheFerg714 wrote:
kinggirlfriend wrote:And hearing you guys rave about Life and Death of Toyo while I wait for the trade is torture. And looking at the numbers for Toyo makes me sad. But I get it. It's not a simple story and not one you can just jump into. I wonder if Imperium and Toyo were simply titled Harbinger and numbered consecutively if they would have fared better? Some things are too smart and high concept to find an audience. Maybe over time more people will discover it.
That's actually a fascinating question... Maybe, if Harada #1 was actually Harbinger #40, people would have found the time to go back and fall in love with the first 39 issues. Probably wishful thinking.
I just don't think they're doing themselves any favors with the names of some of these titles. Consistency in branding is the most important thing. Outside of us fans most people won't know that FALLEN WORLD, RAPTURE, INURSION, FORGOTTON QUEEN, and KILLERS, are really RAI, SHADOWMAN/NINJAK, ETERNAL WARRIOR, WAR-MONGER and THE NINJA PROGRAM. Character and property names need to be drilled in the public subconscious. I'm always shocked when I meet other comic fans who've never heard of X-O or Bloodshot or Harbinger. Presence of the the names is important.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
kinggirlfriend wrote:And hearing you guys rave about Life and Death of Toyo while I wait for the trade is torture. And looking at the numbers for Toyo makes me sad. But I get it. It's not a simple story and not one you can just jump into. I wonder if Imperium and Toyo were simply titled Harbinger and numbered consecutively if they would have fared better? Some things are too smart and high concept to find an audience. Maybe over time more people will discover it.
That's actually a fascinating question... Maybe, if Harada #1 was actually Harbinger #40, people would have found the time to go back and fall in love with the first 39 issues. Probably wishful thinking.
I just don't think they're doing themselves any favors with the names of some of these titles. Consistency in branding is the most important thing. Outside of us fans most people won't know that FALLEN WORLD, RAPTURE, INURSION, FORGOTTON QUEEN, and KILLERS, are really RAI, SHADOWMAN/NINJAK, ETERNAL WARRIOR, WAR-MONGER and THE NINJA PROGRAM. Character and property names need to be drilled in the public subconscious. I'm always shocked when I meet other comic fans who've never heard of X-O or Bloodshot or Harbinger. Presence of the the names is important.
Agreed. X-Men is a good example (X-ample!) of this point, it’s always Uncanny, Astonishing, All new etc . Same with Spider-man, spectacular, amazing , spider-verse and so on,
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Fri May 17, 2019 3:39:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

kinggirlfriend wrote: I guess it's because of the fallout of HW2. Ack, I guess I never got the trade for HW2 either, just read it all online (I do have a copy of the zero issue). It was so bad I wished they'd just ignore it. And I'm not really interested in reading 4 issues of them trying to course correct. I LOVE the character but the timing just killed it for me. Maybe eventually my curiosity will get me to pick it up.
Well that may be a valid reason to avoid it then. :lol:
I really respected those first four issues specifically because they really confronted Livewire's mistakes head-on, but I get your point though. The events of HW2 probably shouldn't have happened in the first place, and it would have been nice to not have to have an arc dedicated to fixing Livewire. That said, I did reread HW2, and honestly, I enjoyed it much more once I just went along for the ride. It still has a plethora of problems, but I found it to be fun. Maybe I'm just a Valiant optimist. :? If you ever do end up reading Livewire, don't expect greatness, but I think you'll end up appreciating it's good qualities by the end of the first arc.
kinggirlfriend wrote:I just don't think they're doing themselves any favors with the names of some of these titles. Consistency in branding is the most important thing. Outside of us fans most people won't know that FALLEN WORLD, RAPTURE, INURSION, FORGOTTON QUEEN, and KILLERS, are really RAI, SHADOWMAN/NINJAK, ETERNAL WARRIOR, WAR-MONGER and THE NINJA PROGRAM. Character and property names need to be drilled in the public subconscious. I'm always shocked when I meet other comic fans who've never heard of X-O or Bloodshot or Harbinger. Presence of the the names is important.
This is a solid point. To be fair though, I think Valiant is (was?) generally pretty good about renaming things. I really liked the titles "Adventures of A+A" and "Wrath of." It actually would have been really cool to see, in big letters, "Shadowman/Ninjak: Rapture", or something like that.