There’s exactly 4850 Valiant fans on the planet!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
There’s exactly 4850 Valiant fans on the planet!

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

How do I know this? ....because the latest sales show that many sales of LADOTH! facepalm Any actual Valiant fan MUST be reading this book as it doesn’t get better than this, therefore I can only conclude that there’s just 4,850 of us :?

250 Life & Death of Toyo Harada 4 $4.99 Valiant 4,850

And before anyone tells me Psi Lords sold 22,000, there’s not 22,000 people ‘actually reading’ that book, it’ll be copies sitting on shelves in various stores because it’s a number 1.

Other than use the title ‘Harbinger: Life & Death of Toyo Harada’ I cant think of how else Valiant can a bigger ‘reading’ fan base (I don’t mean gimmicks which lead to false sales numbers of comics left to on shelves). I think the fact that the dross that is Bloodshot Rising Spirit outsells LADOTH tells us that brand recognition is more important that story content when retailers put their orders in.

Anyway, that’s my theory...come at me bros! :P

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: There’s exactly 4850 Valiant fans on the planet!

Post by greg »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:How do I know this? ....because the latest sales show that many sales of LADOTH! facepalm Any actual Valiant fan MUST be reading this book as it doesn’t get better than this, therefore I can only conclude that there’s just 4,850 of us :?

You're eliminating any Valiant fans who wait for the trade. :gossip:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

greg wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:How do I know this? ....because the latest sales show that many sales of LADOTH! facepalm Any actual Valiant fan MUST be reading this book as it doesn’t get better than this, therefore I can only conclude that there’s just 4,850 of us :?

Nope...actual fans wouldn’t trade wait this...it’s far too good! My theory stands :lol:

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I'm trade waiting it. :oops: One of the hardest things I've had to do!

4850 seems high, IMO. Even among comic fans I find they have no idea who or what Valiant is. :cry:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:I'm trade waiting it. :oops: One of the hardest things I've had to do!

4850 seems high, IMO. Even among comic fans I find they have no idea who or what Valiant is. :cry:
Why would you do that? This is what (great) comics are about, get them when they come out and also support Valiant when they make a right step (not often enough these days).

I’ll Comixology wait (not even hard copy) for things like Shadowman, A&A etc but there’s zero risk with this series, it’s top of the range :thumb:

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I don't buy single issues, only trades and hardcovers. It's tough, but I bide my time with other things. I get the trades the when they come out, they get my money and support then. It's not about risk for me, it's about preference of format. The only single issues I got are LotG and other issues that haven't been collected. And the money for LotG never went to Valiant, so....

And this probably sounds rather cynical but Dysart is never gonna write for Valiant again. So I don't think numbers or anything really matter here. I'm glad we got this. But it's also bittersweet because it's a reminder of what Valiant used to be, not where they are going.

Edit to add:
Have any of you guys that have read this also read Dysart's UNKNOWN SOLDIER or GOODNIGHT PARADISE? Because if you haven't you really should. They aren't sci-fi but they are wonderfully written and they both carry his voice. Other than that I'm reading volume after volume of MODESTY BLAISE, a strip where both the creators are long dead and also receive no money from me despite me buying many of their books.

I'm not a slave to a company or a logo. But what I do is follow creators that interest me.
Last edited by kinggirlfriend on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Probably not even that much, I've been buying at least 5 copies of every issue, A,B,C and 2 pre-orders.

Pearls before swine, people suck.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

NOTE: LADOTH #5 (Herbert Cvr C) appears to have dried up on eBay and Midtown. At least as far as I could tell.

I own at-least five of each cover and variant for each issue if this series. Except this one, which (for whatever unknown reason) I only found three.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kinggirlfriend wrote:.

Edit to add:
Have any of you guys that have read this also read Dysart's UNKNOWN SOLDIER or GOODNIGHT PARADISE?
Yes read Unknown Soldier and at some point I will read Goodnight Paradise!

Currently I’m re-reading Imperium....it’s a big come down after reading that book to then pick up Livewire, Psi Lords etc

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Nice! I just re-read Imperium a couple weeks ago. Will probably re-read it again before the trade comes out for LaDoTH.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I agree with your theory. Numbers are always around that.
I Miss the good old days.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I would only amend your statement to “...in the US and Canada” Diamond numbers don’t include international sales. Or digital. But I assume you wouldn’t count digital readers as real fans either. :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote:

That and the folks that buy every cover! There are less true valiant fans than I think we would like to admit.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I think ~5000 is probably about right. Including the people that buy every cover (for some reason) and taking into account trade/HC/digital fans, it probably evens out to about 5000.

We don't matter. The people that matter are the fair-weather fans that know what Valiant is, and might check out a book or two. If it was just us, the ship would have sunk by now. Somehow Valiant needs to find a way to rekindle that tiny little flame in the back of normal comic fans' heads, or else they're never going to gain any traction. Forgotten Queen, Psi-Lords, and s**ty Bloodshot aren't going to cut it.
kinggirlfriend wrote:I don't buy single issues, only trades and hardcovers. It's tough, but I bide my time with other things. I get the trades the when they come out, they get my money and support then. It's not about risk for me, it's about preference of format. The only single issues I got are LotG and other issues that haven't been collected. And the money for LotG never went to Valiant, so....

And this probably sounds rather cynical but Dysart is never gonna write for Valiant again. So I don't think numbers or anything really matter here. I'm glad we got this. But it's also bittersweet because it's a reminder of what Valiant used to be, not where they are going.
:clap: Well said. If you spent your time at the comic shop worrying about who's getting your money and "supporting" publishers, you're going to be an unhappy reader. At least, that's how it is for me, and I've just recently broken that habit within the last year. Just read what you like, in whatever format you like, and move on with your day.
Dysart's Harbinger/Imperium was actually the one series that I trade-waited for. I originally got into Valiant through their $10 intro trades, and it felt right to have at least one series to look nice on my shelf (I'm not a fan of double-dipping). That said, I couldn't wait for LaDoTH, and I'll probably get the deluxe ed. if that ever happens.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Nope...actual fans wouldn’t trade wait this...it’s far too good! My theory stands :lol:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gatekeeping/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kinggirlfriend

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I also hate double dipping and am extremely cheap. I shook the collector mentality a long time ago and now I just want a nice book to read. I did consider getting the single issues for this series but in the end I knew that I would want a bound copy to put on the shelf.

The thing is I do see all of you guys as bigger fans than me. You were all here first.

I read '90s Valiant but I wasn't manic about it and I pretty much stopped right after Unity (I did read Harbinger up to #27). It was good but I don't worship it. (My favorite comics are by Moebius, Hugo Pratt, Crumb and the like. Quite the other end of the spectrum.) I didn't start reading VEI until 2016. But up until very recent I did buy and read trades of everything including Faith, Valiant High, Q&W, etc. There's more than a few big fans around here that avoid those titles, so I dunno ... *shrugs*

Dinesh has the biggest Valiant boner so lets get in line behind him and we'll go from there.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote:I would only amend your statement to “...in the US and Canada” Diamond numbers don’t include international sales. Or digital. But I assume you wouldn’t count digital readers as real fans either. :lol:
Good point, there’s about 3 of us in the UK, 1 Aussie and another in mainland Europe! I’ll amend to 4855!

I think the digital buyers are balanced out by the multi-buyers so no amends for that! :wink:

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

For the most part, I only buy the trades and hardcovers from VEI, but I made an exception for all the Dysart written series. My goal is to have a CGC graded copy of all the variant covers from Harbinger, Imperium, and LADOTH. I have bought every issue from the LADOTH series with the exception of the retailer variants. I quit chasing those after Rai and Unity.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I would only amend your statement to “...in the US and Canada” Diamond numbers don’t include international sales. Or digital. But I assume you wouldn’t count digital readers as real fans either. :lol:
Good point, there’s about 3 of us in the UK, 1 Aussie and another in mainland Europe! I’ll amend to 4855!

I think the digital buyers are balanced out by the multi-buyers so no amends for that! :wink:
Where's your support that there's a balance there? I see no reason to accept that.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Where's your support that there's a balance there? I see no reason to accept that.
Over ruled KJ! :kidaround:

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

nycjadie wrote:
greg wrote:

That and the folks that buy every cover! There are less true valiant fans than I think we would like to admit.
This is also eliminating us Valiant fans, true or not, who are still treading water in Armor Hunters continuity. I am excited to have LADOTH to look forward to. We aren't all completists with tons of free time and expendable income.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

kinggirlfriend wrote:I don't buy s

I'm not a slave to a company or a logo. But what I do is follow creators that interest me.
So, I hadn't been following too close, does this mean LADOTH isn't really quite DMG but a lingering remnant production from Dinesh and Warren? I'm really glad everyone is enjoying LADOTH
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Oxmyx wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
greg wrote:

This is also eliminating us Valiant fans, true or not, who are still treading water in Armor Hunters continuity. I am excited to have LADOTH to look forward to. We aren't all completists with tons of free time and expendable income.
Let me do you a favour then, read Armour Hunters, Imperium then LADOTH...get everything else in one of the many sales there are eg Comixology and catch up gradually :thumb:

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

TheFerg714 wrote:I think ~5000 is probably about right. Including the people that buy every cover (for some reason) and taking into account trade/HC/digital fans, it probably evens out to about 5000.

We don't matter. The people that matter are the fair-weather fans that know what Valiant is, and might check out a book or two. If it was just us, the ship would have sunk by now. Somehow Valiant needs to find a way to rekindle that tiny little flame in the back of normal comic fans' heads, or else they're never going to gain any traction. Forgotten Queen, Psi-Lords, and s**ty Bloodshot aren't going to cut it.
kinggirlfriend wrote:I don't buy single issues, only trades and hardcovers. It's tough, but I bide my time with other things. I get the trades the when they come out, they get my money and support then. It's not about risk for me, it's about preference of format. The only single issues I got are LotG and other issues that haven't been collected. And the money for LotG never went to Valiant, so....

:clap: Well said. If you spent your time at the comic shop worrying about who's getting your money and "supporting" publishers, you're going to be an unhappy reader. At least, that's how it is for me, and I've just recently broken that habit within the last year. Just read what you like, in whatever format you like, and move on with your day.
Dysart's Harbinger/Imperium was actually the one series that I trade-waited for. I originally got into Valiant through their $10 intro trades, and it felt right to have at least one series to look nice on my shelf (I'm not a fan of double-dipping). That said, I couldn't wait for LaDoTH, and I'll probably get the deluxe ed. if that ever happens.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Nope...actual fans wouldn’t trade wait this...it’s far too good! My theory stands :lol:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gatekeeping/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Imperium and Harbinger are part of one series?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Oxmyx wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:I think ~5000 is probably about right. Including the people that buy every cover (for some reason) and taking into account trade/HC/digital fans, it probably evens out to about 5000.

Yeah, read Harbinger then Imperium then LADOTH

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Oxmyx wrote:

Imperium is the next chapter in Harada's story after Harbinger. So from the perspective of following Harada, it's a continuation. Considering that there wasn't a Harbinger series that immediately followed the first series, and Harbinger: Renegade isn't much more than a prelude to Harbinger Wars 2, it's the closest thing to the same series.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.