Paramount Picks Up Harbinger From Sony

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: Paramount Picks Up Harbinger From Sony

Post by nonplayer »

Funcha wrote:"it all just sounds like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic about now.
Best quote ever
I Miss the good old days.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

BugsySig wrote:From the articles it sounds like the director attached to the film was the one that led Harby to Paramount after signing a deal with them earlier this year. I’m sure some money changed hands but Sony had to not have much believe in a Harbinger franchise and/or shared VALIANT cinematic universe to just let another studio take it off their hands.
This was all about Sony not wanting to deal with Mintz and Original Films on Harbinger. They didn't want to work with him bad enough that they would rather have walked away from this and concentrate on a Bloodshot centered franchise

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:From the articles it sounds like the director attached to the film was the one that led Harby to Paramount after signing a deal with them earlier this year. I’m sure some money changed hands but Sony had to not have much believe in a Harbinger franchise and/or shared VALIANT cinematic universe to just let another studio take it off their hands.
That was my impression as well.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

betterthanezra wrote:
This was all about Sony not wanting to deal with Mintz and Original Films on Harbinger. They didn't want to work with him bad enough that they would rather have walked away from this and concentrate on a Bloodshot centered franchise

-Brian
This was my thought. Mintz didn’t like being walled from the Bloodshot movie, so he made himself such an *SQUEE* that they booted him and the movie. They knew it couldn’t be good with
Mintz. So Paramount. Dodged a bullet.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

So here is what I still don’t get:

Does Sony own the Bloodshot movie franchise rights forever? I thought Valiant’s deal with Sony was for only 5 films which included 2 Blooshot movies, 2 Harbinger movies and Harbinger Wars crossover finale.

If Sony doesn’t own Bloodshot forever then there is still a chance of having a cohesive cinamatic universe when the movie rights expire (possibly after a certain amount of movies or certain amount of time).

Does anyone have input?

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

dino wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian

.... and there you have it. It looks like Bloodshot is going solo. I hope this movie is crazy good! Looking forward to Feb. 2020.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Juki wrote:So here is what I still don’t get:

Does Sony own the Bloodshot movie franchise rights forever? I thought Valiant’s deal with Sony was for only 5 films which included 2 Blooshot movies, 2 Harbinger movies and Harbinger Wars crossover finale.

If Sony doesn’t own Bloodshot forever then there is still a chance of having a cohesive cinamatic universe when the movie rights expire (possibly after a certain amount of movies or certain amount of time).

Does anyone have input?
I don’t know the contractual details or language, but usually they get to keep making movies as long as they keep making movies—Think Sony with Spider-Man—or until they decide they don’t want to or won’t make any money off a movie and the rights revert—think Incredible Hulk (though there’s still some distribution issues there).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

Hold on a moment.

In my mind, the only rights that Sony had were distribution rights for the films, with a minor creative input.

I think that means that a shared universe is still a possibility, the only difference is which studio is distributing each franchise for films.

This may be wrong and I am sure that Hollwood politics will mean that the shared universe will die anyway, but at least that is what I thought the original with Sony was.
This is what happens when you try to work...

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

As a Valiant fan, I don't know what to think.

My gut reaction is that I wished the IP's wouldn't have to be spliced up.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

INSIDER: How Valiant Entertainment is jumping from comics to movies and TV.
https://www.insider.com/valiant-enterta ... -tv-2019-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okay... Someone explain how Sony is still working on Faith if Paramount has the rights to Harbinger now.

This makes no sense. It looks like the Valiant rights will be just as much of a mess as Marvel's, but without the brand recognition.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

lorddunlow wrote:INSIDER: How Valiant Entertainment is jumping from comics to movies and TV.
https://www.insider.com/valiant-enterta ... -tv-2019-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okay... Someone explain how Sony is still working on Faith if Paramount has the rights to Harbinger now.

This makes no sense. It looks like the Valiant rights will be just as much of a mess as Marvel's, but without the brand recognition.
Great point. I would think that things have changed and Sony probably is sending "Faith" to Paramount as well.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Funcha wrote:
FormerReader wrote:Again I have to question, what is DMGs thought process?
Considering how everything went south for DMG not long after they acquired Valiant, my guess is they're desperately trying to get anything before cameras to get some much needed cash...
This is the conclusion that I've come to also. Mintz doesn't give a damn where the cash comes from right now and will *SQUEE* out any Valiant IP in order to make that buck, so selling off one of the most meaningful IPs in the Valiant catalogue to Paramount was something he didn't even put a second's thought into.

The article claims that he's trying to set Valiant up with a "proper" cinematic partner, but realistically I think it's clear for even those of us with little interest in the business end of Hollywood that that's at least a decade away from happening, if ever. Maybe in the long run having the IPs tested for success at any given opportunity will be the way to prove that the properties are financially viable, but if a coherant and COMPLETE movie universe is ever to be created it'll inevitably result in a similar situation that Marvel's currently facing with regards to what's currently going on with the X Men IP, which isn't great in itself.

Even considering the last point, whichever way this goes from here on in the Valiant Movie Universe now currently exists without the Harbinger portion of the narrative universe included, which really, really sucks. Two, possibly three of the most powerful characters in the VU (Harada, Stanchek and Bleeding Monk) cannot now POSSIBLY have any influence on the VMU for the foreseeable future facepalm

Sure, all the other toys are still in the pram where the VMU is concerned, but losing the Harbinger stable from the coherant universe is just bad news.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

BugsySig wrote:

Does anyone have input?
I don’t know the contractual details or language, but usually they get to keep making movies as long as they keep making movies—Think Sony with Spider-Man—or until they decide they don’t want to or won’t make any money off a movie and the rights revert—think Incredible Hulk (though there’s still some distribution issues there).
Would it not be closer to Fox's Fantastic Four and Sonys own Ghost Rider deals, use it or lose it with in a certain amount of time and then just reset the counter after ever movie?

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

dornwolf wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Does anyone have input?
Would it not be closer to Fox's Fantastic Four and Sonys own Ghost Rider deals, use it or lose it with in a certain amount of time and then just reset the counter after ever movie?
Same idea, yeah. Just like publishing a licensed property.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Funcha wrote:
FormerReader wrote:Again I have to question, what is DMGs thought process?
Considering how everything went south for DMG not long after they acquired Valiant, my guess is they're desperately trying to get anything before cameras to get some much needed cash...
This is the conclusion that I've come to also. Mintz doesn't give a damn where the cash comes from right now and will *SQUEE* out any Valiant IP in order to make that buck, so selling off one of the most meaningful IPs in the Valiant catalogue to Paramount was something he didn't even put a second's thought into.

The article claims that he's trying to set Valiant up with a "proper" cinematic partner, but realistically I think it's clear for even those of us with little interest in the business end of Hollywood that that's at least a decade away from happening, if ever. Maybe in the long run having the IPs tested for success at any given opportunity will be the way to prove that the properties are financially viable, but if a coherant and COMPLETE movie universe is ever to be created it'll inevitably result in a similar situation that Marvel's currently facing with regards to what's currently going on with the X Men IP, which isn't great in itself.

Even considering the last point, whichever way this goes from here on in the Valiant Movie Universe now currently exists without the Harbinger portion of the narrative universe included, which really, really sucks. Two, possibly three of the most powerful characters in the VU (Harada, Stanchek and Bleeding Monk) cannot now POSSIBLY have any influence on the VMU for the foreseeable future facepalm

Sure, all the other toys are still in the pram where the VMU is concerned, but losing the Harbinger stable from the coherant universe is just bad news.

Maybe I am confused or looking at this in the wrong light............ But, I was thinking just the opposite....
That Bloodshot was the odd man out of the V.C.U. being at Sony (who doesn't want to work with Mintz). And, Harbinger would potentially be at Paramount (who does want to work with Mintz) with the rest of the Valiant I.P.s (EW, Shadowman, X-O, etc.).
:?

If my thinking is correct the chances of Valiant movie success seems to be split (2 chances):

Sony (with Dino) and a chance at a Bloodshot franchise if 1st movie is successful

VS.

Paramount's Harbinger with Mintz (with a chance at future VCU franchise including Harbinger, EW, X-O, and all characters except Bloodshot)

So, could it be a film showdown for the future movie success of Valiant?

Dino

VS.

Mintz

??????????????????????????????????????

Funcha
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

If Sony is sold to a larger conglomerate within the next year or two, I'm wondering aloud how that could affect future Bloodshot films. Apparently the rights to Spider-Man revert back to Marvel if that happens. I'm guessing the same may happen with Bloodshot?

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

lorddunlow wrote:INSIDER: How Valiant Entertainment is jumping from comics to movies and TV.

Could it be that Sony has already begun production works on Faith? it would make sense that this might happen, maybe all individual titles regarding her belongs to Faith, could only be this one (since they might have spent a ton already). Just something I brain stormed
Moose