Outsider opinions: most VEI just "a crazy billionaire"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Outsider opinions: most VEI just "a crazy billionaire"

Post by Oxmyx »

I've finished listening to that podcast I mentioned about getting characters wrong
They are talking specifically about The Valiant, and like many fans of comics don't treat independent comics very well. They made assertions I hadn't heard before, where they literally called this a company run by a "crazy billionaire" just "throwing piles of money" at some of the best talent out there like Jeff Lemire and Paolo Riviera.

So, comments?

This was Living Between Wednesdays episode 108
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Outsider opinions: most VEI just "a crazy billionaire"

Post by TheFerg714 »

Oxmyx wrote:I've finished listening to that podcast I mentioned about getting characters wrong
They are talking specifically about The Valiant, and like many fans of comics don't treat independent comics very well. They made assertions I hadn't heard before, where they literally called this a company run by a "crazy billionaire" just "throwing piles of money" at some of the best talent out there like Jeff Lemire and Paolo Riviera.

So, comments?

I think that's a highly.... exaggerative comment. I mean technically, yes, Dinesh is a *millionaire (probably wouldn't use the word crazy) that throws money at big names like Lemire and Rivera, but I think it's clear that there's a little more to it than that. The guy(s) is a creative visionary. He has drive, passion, and a vision for the future. Boiling it down to "a crazy billionaire throwing money around" is honestly rude and so ignorant.

What did these *SQUEE* think of the actual story? And have you read it yet?
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:I've finished listening to that podcast I mentioned about getting characters wrong

So, comments?

I think that's a highly.... exaggerative comment. I mean technically, yes, Dinesh is a billionaire (probably wouldn't use the word crazy) that throws money at big names like Lemire and Rivera, but I think it's clear that there's a little more to it than that. The guy(s) is a creative visionary. He has drive, passion, and a vision for the future. Boiling it down to "a crazy billionaire throwing money around" is honestly rude and so ignorant.

Dinesh isn't a billionaire, but Dan Mintz (DMG) runs a billion-dollar company, so I assume they're talking about Dan.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Yinji, the “owner” of DMG, is now worth $137M, and I believe has been delisted from the stock market. Can’t confirm via a quick Google search.

No billionaires, even on paper.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

greg wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:

So, comments?

I think that's a highly.... exaggerative comment. I mean technically, yes, Dinesh is a billionaire (probably wouldn't use the word crazy) that throws money at big names like Lemire and Rivera, but I think it's clear that there's a little more to it than that. The guy(s) is a creative visionary. He has drive, passion, and a vision for the future. Boiling it down to "a crazy billionaire throwing money around" is honestly rude and so ignorant.

Dinesh isn't a billionaire, but Dan Mintz (DMG) runs a billion-dollar company, so I assume they're talking about Dan.
Oh ok, so millionaire then.
But they had to have been talking about Dinesh, because the episode was about The Valiant.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

TheFerg714 wrote:
greg wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:

So, comments?

Oh ok, so millionaire then.
But they had to have been talking about Dinesh, because the episode was about The Valiant.
Ah, well Dinesh is a millionaire, so that wasn't a stretch. :D