Harbinger 1 9.8 Price Changes

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Harbinger 1 9.8 Price Changes

Post by nycjadie »

I've noticed that the Harby 1 9.8 price point is going down, with at least 3 recent sales in the $720-730 range. Lots of best offer prices listed in the $800s, but obviously sold for much less. I've been noticing a trend down, when this book would regularly sell in the $900s, or higher. If this continues, it could be in the $600s again. Before the movie news, this book was selling at a record low of $350ish.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Harbinger 1 9.8 Price Changes

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote:I've noticed that the Harby 1 9.8 price point is going down, with at least 3 recent sales in the $720-730 range. Lots of best offer prices listed in the $800s, but obviously sold for much less. I've been noticing a trend down, when this book would regularly sell in the $900s, or higher. If this continues, it could be in the $600s again. Before the movie news, this book was selling at a record low of $350ish.
Could be an example of the market seeing many more available copies.
Years of hoarders where the market wouldn't see a 9.8 often changing hands, but now people unloading to coincide with the movie news. The added "supply" might be giving buyers more options. Just a thought.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Harbinger 1 seems to go through cycles and it is not that rare of a book in 9.8. I remember when it first cracked $1,000 and then a ton of copies flooded the market and the price fell to around $400 (I picked up my copy for $450 in a ComicLink auction). Even when copies have been listed at high prices I think there have also been sales at more reasonable prices. I think the same thing happens with Solar 10.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

magnus20009 wrote:Harbinger 1 seems to go through cycles and it is not that rare of a book in 9.8. I remember when it first cracked $1,000 and then a ton of copies flooded the market and the price fell to around $400 (I picked up my copy for $450 in a ComicLink auction). Even when copies have been listed at high prices I think there have also been sales at more reasonable prices. I think the same thing happens with Solar 10.
Harbinger #1 is quite rare in CGC 9.8 graded before 2009. :D Since that time, it has become almost common. It's my opinion that what changed wasn't the quality of submissions but the standards for CGC 9.8.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Remember this CGC ad? I always thought it was awesome they used Harbinger 1 in their advertisement!
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

#StayValiant

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

I think supply and demand has balanced out (for now).

Movie speculation necessarily leads to more copies submitted, and thus a greater number of 9.8s.

In the case of Harbinger 1, I've been arguing about this with ZWH (RMA on the CGC boards) for *years* (like, the original movie announcement). He took/takes the position that the common bindery defect with Harbinger 1 meant we'd *never* see more than a few hundred 9.8s, even with an exponential increase in submissions with the movie announcement.

I took the opposite position, and said we'd see no fewer than 400 9.8s (up from 220 in early summer 2015) by the time the movie is released.

We're not there yet, with the census currently showing 357 universal + 26 signature = 383 so far, but there's no doubt in my mind that we'll get there.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Rai-fan wrote:I think supply and demand has balanced out (for now).

Movie speculation necessarily leads to more copies submitted, and thus a greater number of 9.8s.

In the case of Harbinger 1, I've been arguing about this with ZWH (RMA on the CGC boards) for *years* (like, the original movie announcement). He took/takes the position that the common bindery defect with Harbinger 1 meant we'd *never* see more than a few hundred 9.8s, even with an exponential increase in submissions with the movie announcement.

I took the opposite position, and said we'd see no fewer than 400 9.8s (up from 220 in early summer 2015) by the time the movie is released.

We're not there yet, with the census currently showing 357 universal + 26 signature = 383 so far, but there's no doubt in my mind that we'll get there.
What's killing the predictions like this (including mine) IMO is the changing grading standards/philosophy and the prevalence and ease of improvement services. I made similar predictions 15 years ago and stand by them in principal. I can't remember what I put the number at... ~200 9.8s with a most-ever max of ~500? I stand by whatever numbers I opined back then if CGC was grading like they were in 2005. But I am sure you are right in "reality" and that the count will increase to what you predict.

ZWH and I agreed on this one over the years. It does happen occasionally. :-)

What has never happened is the mythical untouched case that blows out the census all at once. At least we have no indication this has happened. And in a lot of discussions back in the day that was the clearest argument for a high census count on this book.

Rai-fan

Post by Rai-fan »

Fair.

I knew guys back in the day who had "untouched cases" of X-O # 1 (like 200+ NM copies around Jan. 1993), but *never* early Harbingers.

Rai-fan

Post by Rai-fan »

Fair.

I knew guys back in the day who had "untouched cases" of X-O # 1 (like 200+ NM copies around Jan. 1993), but *never* early Harbingers.

All things being equal, though, I'd rather have a 9.8 Solar 10. Haven't looked up the value in 20 years, but that *seemed* like the tough book back in '92-93. My inner teen would love it today.

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Rai-fan wrote:Fair.

All things being equal, though, I'd rather have a 9.8 Solar 10. Haven't looked up the value in 20 years, but that *seemed* like the tough book back in '92-93. My inner teen would love it today.
+1 :thumb:
#StayValiant

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

One just closed auction style at $789 including shipping.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Funcha
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

My last one sold a week and a half ago at $900. The Paramount news frankly doesn't give me much faith Harbinger will be getting out of development hell anytime soon.

mkj
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 5 years
Favorite character: bloodshot

Post by mkj »

I picked up my first 9.8 for $750 two weeks ago. Was listed for $1200. I'm happy with the purchase. It may go down some more but I don't plan on selling anytime soon.