VALIANT AUGUST SALES!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
VALIANT AUGUST SALES!!

Post by agent_graves »

162 Doctor Mirage 1* Valiant 11,302... *-10%

244 Punk Mambo 5 Valiant 5,802

250 Killers 2 Valiant 5,657

251 Fallen World 4 Valiant 5,527

269 Psi-Lords 3 Valiant 4,686

271 Life & Death of Toyo Harada 6 Valiant 4,558... facepalm

289 Livewire 9 Valiant 3,843... :cry:
#StayValiant

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: VALIANT AUGUST SALES!!

Post by nycjadie »

Lowest numbers yet. This is not looking good. When you think of the different cover variants, that means that these are printing 1-2K, right? At most.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

If only there was a person who was fanatical about the company that DMG could hire who could consistently double the company sales. Or we can see how low sales can go.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

FormerReader wrote:If only there was a person who was fanatical about the company that DMG could hire who could consistently double the company sales. Or we can see how low sales can go.
Easier said than done I think :|
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

agent_graves wrote:162 Doctor Mirage 1* Valiant 11,302... *-10%

Everybody relax, there’s thousands and thousands of woke new readers just around the corner who are going to buy up all these books from unknown writers, writing whatever they want with any character the feel like. Heather Antos’ followers are bound to start buying the books any day now so everyone just chill, the editorial staff know exactly what they’re doing and we’re in safe hands!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

:lol: Especially when she doesn't know the difference between Bloodshot and Rai!

Everybody relax, there’s thousands and thousands of woke new readers just around the corner who are going to buy up all these books from unknown writers, writing whatever they want with any character the feel like. Heather Antos’ followers are bound to start buying the books any day now so everyone just chill, the editorial staff know exactly what they’re doing and we’re in safe hands!

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

nycjadie wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

:lol: Especially when she doesn't know the difference between Bloodshot and Rai!

Yep, that says it all!

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Yep, that says it all!
Dallow, mentioning 'politics' and 'the woke crowd' in every post you make is getting really, really boring. I'm pretty sure that every active member on the board right now knows exactly what you think of the current editorial and writing team, so maybe give it a rest for a bit?

On another note: looking at numbers like this makes Mintz's decision to sell off Harbinger to Paramount in order to bring some quick cash into Valiant/DMG/His Pocket unsurprising. Looks like someone's going to have to pull some kind of super marketing strategy out of thin air and fast if Valiant is to stay afloat much longer doesn't it?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Yep, that says it all!
Dallow, mentioning 'politics' and 'the woke crowd' in every post you make is getting really, really boring. I'm pretty sure that every active member on the board right now knows exactly what you think of the current editorial and writing team, so maybe give it a rest for a bit?

On another note: looking at numbers like this makes Mintz's decision to sell off Harbinger to Paramount in order to bring some quick cash into Valiant/DMG/His Pocket unsurprising. Looks like someone's going to have to pull some kind of super marketing strategy out of thin air and fast if Valiant is to stay afloat much longer doesn't it?
Woah shots fired!!

It is boring but not as boring as the books themselves! I think the destruction of the company and characters whom this board is dedicated to is worth pointing out as frequently as necessary in order to effect change (or at least try).

Maybe I hit a nerve, I always suspected you were a ‘remainer’ Shadownan99 :)

CongoBill
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Livewire
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by CongoBill »

As a Valiant fan it is unfortunate to see this. But weren't sales numbers in the 5K - 6K range for most of the Valiant titles even under the old regime? I'm not talking about the first issues and stuff that sold well but, generally, once most series got going I don't think the numbers were much higher than this, at least in the last 2-3 years before the takeover. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Not saying these newer books (with the exception of LADOTH) are as good as the the stuff done under Dinesh or that nothing has changed. Obviously a lot has changed and not for the better. But I used to worry about Valiant sales numbers well before DMG took over.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Yep, that says it all!

Woah shots fired!!

It is boring but not as boring as the books themselves! I think the destruction of the company and characters whom this board is dedicated to is worth pointing out as frequently as necessary in order to effect change (or at least try).

Maybe I hit a nerve, I always suspected you were a ‘remainer’ Shadownan99 :)
Go Dallow! :high-five:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Yep, that says it all!

So not just me then…
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

CongoBill wrote:As a Valiant fan it is unfortunate to see this. But weren't sales numbers in the 5K - 6K range for most of the Valiant titles even under the old regime? I'm not talking about the first issues and stuff that sold well but, generally, once most series got going I don't think the numbers were much higher than this, at least in the last 2-3 years before the takeover. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Not saying these newer books (with the exception of LADOTH) are as good as the the stuff done under Dinesh or that nothing has changed. Obviously a lot has changed and not for the better. But I used to worry about Valiant sales numbers well before DMG took over.
You're not mistaken. I think the thing that can account for the biggest effect on the sales numbers, compared to the year or so before Dinesh was ousted, is that there are no longer incentive variants for anything besides the first issue of an "ongoing"

I do wonder if there is some business reason for discontinuing the variants. Does anyone know if there was some change in the way Diamond is handling things that makes dropping incentives a good business move?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Yep, that says it all!

So not just me then…
You’re my favourite board member KJ! I miss it when you’re not on threads :clap:

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

kjjohanson wrote:
CongoBill wrote:As a Valiant fan it is unfortunate to see this. But weren't sales numbers in the 5K - 6K range for most of the Valiant titles even under the old regime? I'm not talking about the first issues and stuff that sold well but, generally, once most series got going I don't think the numbers were much higher than this, at least in the last 2-3 years before the takeover. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Not saying these newer books (with the exception of LADOTH) are as good as the the stuff done under Dinesh or that nothing has changed. Obviously a lot has changed and not for the better. But I used to worry about Valiant sales numbers well before DMG took over.
You're not mistaken. I think the thing that can account for the biggest effect on the sales numbers, compared to the year or so before Dinesh was ousted, is that there are no longer incentive variants for anything besides the first issue of an "ongoing"

I do wonder if there is some business reason for discontinuing the variants. Does anyone know if there was some change in the way Diamond is handling things that makes dropping incentives a good business move?
There have always been a title or two that dipped below 5K, but there was also titles that were in the 5 digits, that weren’t the first issue. I don’t recall seeing a month this poor.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Yep, that says it all!

There are several folks here that dedicate their posts here to decrying the editorial decisions made by DMG and the inexperienced and undedicated staff that they have hired. While few bring the political dimension into it as often as Dallow does, should we give it a rest while dilettantes build their resumé today by destroying the future of our favourite comic book company? These people are like the comic sans of editorial staff - DOES VALIANT WANT TO BE A COMIC BOOK COMPANY OR A LEMONADE STAND?

Or does it bother you that he's both correct and right-wing at the same time? 8-)

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Yep, that says it all!

There are several folks here that dedicate their posts here to decrying the editorial decisions made by DMG and the inexperienced and undedicated staff that they have hired. While few bring the political dimension into it as often as Dallow does, should we give it a rest while dilettantes build their resumé today by destroying the future of our favourite comic book company? These people are like the comic sans of editorial staff - DOES VALIANT WANT TO BE A COMIC BOOK COMPANY OR A LEMONADE STAND?

Or does it bother you that he's both correct and right-wing at the same time? 8-)
Cheers Chiclo and Chris from Calgary :thumb:

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
VALIANT AUGUST SALES!!

Post by AnarchoMambo »

It would be a mistake to assume that no “woke” fans are buying floppy copies of Valiant. I would assume that approximately half of Valiant fans that buy floppies would fit your description. (following this nomenclature, the other half would have to be termed—what, asleep?) That’s if the floppy-buying (diminishing!) mass of comics fans fits the general population of the US, which I have no idea is true or not. I think we know even less about people who buy digital copies, or what (growing?) proportion of comics fans support Valiant in this way. Is there any decent survey out there about this? Probably not. Not sure how it could be done with an authenticity or reproducibility approaching science.

In the meantime, we’ll probably just have to hear some of these people drone on about how they really just know it all, I guess. I admire how easy it is for them, roughly simplifying every sophisticated human taste, trait, or characteristic to some much easier to understand binary label.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I'd like to think that someday I'll regret not buying the books every month, especially with print runs that low. But by the time the market would've recognized the diminished availability of modern Valiant there won't be much of a readership left to take interest, so it doesn't matter.

-optimism much?-

Guys, when I type this crap, and I've been typing a lot of it over the last year or two, I am not trying to be Debbie downer. But it's just the honest fact of our generation. I am truly, truly leaning to the notion that print comics and interest in them are going to die on our watch. I'm stone serious.

The back issue market and convention circuits will survive for years, but generally speaking the current print area of the hobby is going the way of the dodo. And it's all compounding - the younger generation just isn't there buying the books, the current readership is declining and as publishers respond with agenda-publishing and other tactics they still won't fess up to the fact that they've alienated a significant number of lifelong readers....

Given these circumstances I'd be happy to be mistaken, but I'm only stating this in line with the patterns I've seen for a little more than a decade now. I laughed my *SQUEE* off when I read the December solicits once again announcing the final issue of an Iron Man book, touting "a new direction for Marvel!" I'm serious when I say that even I might not buy new Iron Man books anymore when it's relaunched... I'm so sick of chasing cash grab publishing with relaunches. The real killer is that I said all of this when I saw the patterns over a decade ago now, yet I've hung on longer than the publishing-apologists who argued with me about it at the time. facepalm

I'd be happy to be wrong about what I see in the market direction.
AnarchoMambo wrote:It would be a mistake to assume that no “woke” fans are buying floppy copies of Valiant.
I'm sure they are. And by the print run numbers, all 1,000 of them are. People are going to keep arguing the "woke" angle like this agenda-driven group has power. And they do - to set their eyes on something and destroy it through the manipulation of virtue-signaling and conscientiousness in good people.

So yes, you are right - it's very likely that "woke" fans are buying floppy copies of Valiant, which is clearly defined by the total print numbers across their monthly publishing gamut.

-knocks on head- HELLLOOO!!!!!

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I consider myself a valiant fan.
Am I buying all new valiant books that come out ~ no.
Could I afford to ~ yes.

So why not?
Its not because of Dinesh leaving, I slowed down way before that. The only thing recently I was excited about was Punk Mambo, the way it developed in Shadowman, then 0 issue , to its own series. Seemed it was marketed well ~ got the ashcan, but still need the folk cover (hint hint, sell me one cheap).

Don't ban me, but I was not hyped for Life and Death of Toyo Harada. Didn't know anything about it, Just another mini put out by valiant. I loved Imperium. That is a great series, but form outside I missed the connection ~ Imperium ~ Life and death of Toyo Harada. If not for this message board, I would not of known ~ nor would a comic shop owner who is not invested in promoting valiant.

The comic shop I got Imperium from, did not put the first issue of LDTH in ( see above~ they didn't see connection), so I didn't bother. Only After hearing OTV podcast about it, I brought it off ebay as a 6 issue set second hand.

Life Punk Mambo I was looking forward to PSI lords, and ordered it a the comic shop. I saw it flicked through it ~ and only brought it as I hatted it when I worked at a comic shop and ordered specific indi books that people didn't buy. Every issue of Punk Mambo I was looking forward to, with PSI lords, well, I will read it as I ordered it.

When I saw the advert in the comics for Killers, I don't care it doesn't excite me. My initial reaction was facepalm . May try it/ may not. Just didn't grab me.

Think main problem is marketing, was their info besides diamond catolgue of Life and death of Toyo Harada? Punk Mambo had an ashcan, so must of had a push from marketing. We have heard about PSI lords for ages ~ maybe people just lost interest.

Looking at numbers. Punk Mambo 5 (5802.) Had an ashcan released at retailer convention and variant cover on issue one?
Life and Death of Toyo Harada (4558). Variant cover but no retailer push /promotion still pulls in 4558 at issue 6. :high-five:

Livewire at 3843 is sad. Had hype more than punkmambo, more than any other book if I recall. Was a super hot character at the time, variants. Don't know if it had ashcan, but I felt valiant had put word out about it. Maybe this is why mini series rule now? No one hangs arround, short attention spans. Hot issue 1 next big thing. Don't think she is a hot charactor anymore ( but thats my opinion).

Think it lead from the Hype from Secret Weapons to Livewire the series in far greater success / bigger push from valiant that Imperium and LDTH. Which goes to show how great LDTH at 4558 is , livewire (3843)

Saying that, maybe if LDTH was 3 issues longer would the numbers be the same. Also I see a lot more people buying LDTH as trade of HardCover than Liverwire ( but that is just my opinon).
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

battlepark
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: uh...All of them!

Post by battlepark »

Could the fact that they no longer offer 1 in 10s or 1 in 20s (and the random 1 in 25s) that used to come out with EVERY SINGLE issue under Nerd Boss be effecting sales totals too?
When there is a discussion of rarest Valiants, most 1 in 20s print runs are in the 400 to 500 copy range, which means the 1 in 10s would be at least double that? Add that to an increase in orders on Covers A, B, and Cs that Retailers would order to get the variants and you would think each book would gain at least 2,000 plus copies? Not sure if the addition of variants would be worth the price
but just a thought.
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

battlepark wrote:Could the fact that they no longer offer 1 in 10s or 1 in 20s (and the random 1 in 25s) that used to come out with EVERY SINGLE issue under Nerd Boss be effecting sales totals too?
When there is a discussion of rarest Valiants, most 1 in 20s print runs are in the 400 to 500 copy range, which means the 1 in 10s would be at least double that? Add that to an increase in orders on Covers A, B, and Cs that Retailers would order to get the variants and you would think each book would gain at least 2,000 plus copies? Not sure if the addition of variants would be worth the price
but just a thought.
I wonder if that brings a lot of standard issues just sitting on shelves or in boxes unsold
Seeing 4 or 5 month old valiants sitting in £1 or 50p may actually be hurting the 'brand' more than lower numbers.

Imagine buying at cover price only to constantly see your standard cover, (or even variants sold cheaply at standard cover price or lower) constantly in sale boxes.
Maybe that just UK, back issue & sale bins, or multipacks (common in uk ~ 5 random comics for £2 ~ got missing valiants that way cheaper than cover).

Might just scroll through ebay now, and compare. See if older minis with multiple covers sell cheaper than newer books with no variants. Actually that's not quantifiable really, as we have to wait a bit longer ~ and story /collectability also affects it. Still will give it a look.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.