Why did VEI take the chinese money?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Why did VEI take the chinese money?

Post by lorddunlow »

I just read this title thread as "take the Chinese monkey" and I am sorely disappointed that it isn't about that instead.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

lorddunlow wrote:I just read this title thread as "take the Chinese monkey" and I am sorely disappointed that it isn't about that instead.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

I've had this thought since day 1.. china coming looking for the way in a cinematic universe the way you said..checklist is on point

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

putz wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
valiantdude wrote:BOOM!! Haha.. Interesting people take Communist money for capitalist ventures...
My take on the Cuneos is that they are inverstors first and foremost. Their goal is to get the biggest return on their investment. Money talks and bull *SQUEE* walks.

putz wrote:Maybe China saw it as a way into a market they havent yet touched.
Phones-electronics - check
Solar energy -check
networks - check
clothing - check
manufacturing -check.
software - check
AI- check
University labs - check
Building contracts around the globe -check
shipping - check
They could have looked at the popularity of the Marvel movies and thought, now we need in that business.
Are there any comic characters that have been around for a while that are owned/controlled by someone that needs some "investment"?

hummmmm
You forgot the NBA :wink:
HAHA!!

You are correct sir.
NBA - check
Building islands - check
I know you said software but video games is it's own industry and there isn't a publisher in business that isn't in bead to some level with Tencent. Look at the situation with Activision-Blizzard

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

valiantdude wrote:But if I started a business, I would never take on Chinese blood money, I just have high standards I guess
Yes, because American blood money is just so much better.
It's wild to see so much speculation that pretty much assumes that DMG is operated as a arm of the Chinese fascist government. I'm doubtful of that, but I have no real information either way.
So, if you buy Valiant comics, does the twisted logic go that you are buying Chinese product? Does that mean you'll stop new purchases?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

valiantdude wrote: wtf
This is pretty much my reaction to your post and subsequent comments.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

So....ur saying DMG isn't china?.. that's very funny..
Do you know what it takes to operate a business in china? The govt is in control of everything..
Also, no I stopped buying chi-liant comics after i found about what vei did to shooter and also the other old school creators thought of vei..
Then dmg coming on sealed the deal.. the new chi-liant comics coming on board look like *SQUEE*, but I still read them on [no links to illegal sites].to
Like I said they(the valiant characters) are POWs now trapped in an alternate universe..

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

:rant:

I really do wish everyone was required to take a semester or two of international economics, strategy, and finance. It would help avoid discussions like this where a significant amount of information is missing/ignored and wild assumptions are made without the baseline knowledge to make them.

SPOILER ALERT:

Money and the world do not operate the way most people think they do. They really don’t.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

QFT
DirtbagSailor wrote::rant:

I really do wish everyone was required to take a semester or two of international economics, strategy, and finance. It would help avoid discussions like this where a significant amount of information is missing/ignored and wild assumptions are made without the baseline knowledge to make them.

SPOILER ALERT:

Money and the world do not operate the way most people think they do. They really don’t.
And to valiantdude: no, DMG is not China. China is a geopolitical entity. DMG is some *SQUEE* New Yorker who wanted to be in the entertainment industry, but could get a foot in the door in the US, so he used some weird connections he had in China to do so via a Chinese-based company that he runs. It's about an American a concept and company can be.

It's essentially a modern-day East India Company.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote:Image
Apple?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote:
valiantdude wrote:But if I started a business, I would never take on Chinese blood money, I just have high standards I guess
It's wild to see so much speculation that pretty much assumes that DMG is operated as a arm of the Chinese fascist government. I'm doubtful of that, but I have no real information either way.
So, if you buy Valiant comics, does the twisted logic go that you are buying Chinese product? Does that mean you'll stop new purchases?
See? This guy gets it.

Although I am not sure that fasciist is an appropriate label for China. I thought that label was reserved for right-wing totalitarians and China is sort-of communist?

A half-century of free trade and shipping manufacturing overseas has left us in this sort of spot on the world stage, where our position in the world is as its customer. We only buy, we do not make for ourselves. That is why we need a trade war with China and that is why we need the guy who got the hooker to pay him representing us.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
See? This guy gets it.

Although I am not sure that fasciist is an appropriate label for China. I thought that label was reserved for right-wing totalitarians and China is sort-of communist?

A half-century of free trade and shipping manufacturing overseas has left us in this sort of spot on the world stage, where our position in the world is as its customer. We only buy, we do not make for ourselves. That is why we need a trade war with China and that is why we need the guy who got the hooker to pay him representing us.
Good luck getting any Americans to work for the wages they do in the countries that lead in production of goods.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

You mean 'slave' wages?...your right..
Good luck with that here..haha

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
See? This guy gets it.

Good luck getting any Americans to work for the wages they do in the countries that lead in production of goods.
I want to disagree with you, that we should just reduce the minimum wage and not eliminate in entirely, but you raise a good point. Just get rid of it.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:I just read this title thread as "take the Chinese monkey" and I am sorely disappointed that it isn't about that instead.
They have a legend about a Monkey King who has a super fan that can blow out a field of fire but his Princess is in another castle.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

wrunow wrote:I have a feeling the downfall was caused more by Kothari than Cuneo. Just my thoughts.

It’s not a “feeling”.

You KNOW this is the truth.

I don’t know if the real story will ever be told publicly.
But the guys that go to the Poker Game have heard it straight from the

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

What I REALLY hope gets told is how close Dino was to avoiding the eventual shift in power that led to his not being with VEI.

He almost had it worked out.
Even is the literal last moments. He was almost able to work it out.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Chiclo, haha, great catch on the mis-use of the word FASCIST although as you point out the mixed nature of China makes things rather murky. And respectfully we will have to agree to disagree on the minimum wage thing....you do realize that if the 1920s minimum wage was adjusted to modern inflation it'd be like $20 an hour? I might be off on my math but it's something like that... I say we make America great again...if working people had good wages they could afford to buy American made goods...I actually think almost all working class people agree regardless of party on having an American economy with American goods and American jobs...the problem is that both parties keep electing Establishment candidates who work for the Elites (not the people)...I think we can agree on that ... i recognize that Trump is an attempt to get away from that and I applaud the good intentions (usually present) that put him into office....a destructive and ineffective and self-defeating attempt in my opinion but we can agree to disagree there too

valiantdude, I'm no fan of DMG (but not a hater....not yet anyway). I think we can all agree that pre-Unity is the best Valiant.
Last edited by Oxmyx on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:52:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Elveen wrote:What I REALLY hope gets told is how close Dino was to avoiding the eventual shift in power that led to his not being with VEI.

That really bites. He brought the characters back from the grave and had the rug pulled out from under him when he was sooooo close to launching a cohesive movie universe. At least he has a chance to continue on with Valiant through the Sony Bloodshotverse. Hopefully he makes Bloodshot all he can be on the big screen!

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Elveen wrote:What I REALLY hope gets told is how close Dino was to avoiding the eventual shift in power that led to his not being with VEI.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Oxmyx wrote: And respectfully we will have to agree to disagree on the minimum wage thing....you do realize that if the 1920s minimum wage was adjusted to modern inflation it'd be like $20 an hour? I might be off on my math but it's something like that... I say we make America great again...if working people had good wages they could afford to buy American made goods
The problem with that logic is America doesn't make much anymore because we have labor laws and fair wages. That make manufacturing in the US very expensive when compared to China and southeast Asia. If you pay American working people more, then the prices for American goods skyrockets above the already high prices. It's simple economic math. I'm all for labor laws and fair wages, but I have the privilege of being able to afford more expensive items on a daily basis. The fact of the matter is that this is how the world works now. It can change, but I don't see any businesses doing well charging the prices required to make the same profit they do now if they pay workers well. The only other solution is businesses making less profit, and LOL...

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

lorddunlow wrote:
Oxmyx wrote: I say we make America great again...if working people had good wages they could afford to buy American made goods
The problem with that logic is America doesn't make much anymore because we have labor laws and fair wages. That make manufacturing in the US very expensive when compared to China and southeast Asia. If you pay American working people more, then the prices for American goods skyrockets above the already high prices. It's simple economic math. I'm all for labor laws and fair wages, but I have the privilege of being able to afford more expensive items on a daily basis. The fact of the matter is that this is how the world works now. It can change, but I don't see any businesses doing well charging the prices required to make the same profit they do now if they pay workers well. The only other solution is businesses making less profit, and LOL...
Actually, I am going to agree with you. My suggestion reduced to a few lines did not make much economic sense. It does work if you simultaneously add high tariffs and other protectionism, regulations, and empowering labor laws (specifically to strengthen and broaden Unions)

I'm not aware of the details, but I've heard that this country was founded on tariffs and protectionism (rather than taxation as the base of federal income). Please correct me if I am wrong. Make America great again.

You say you are priveledged. I'd have to say that I am, too.
One way that I'm priveledged is so have found myself a good Union job at long last. Specifically with the Teamsters). You scoffed wholeheartedly at the idea that any company would voluntarily choose less profits in any situation. I have been lucky enough to witness that very thing, although "voluntarily" is somewhat a matter of perspective. The company I work for volunteered to pay us workers more (actually adjusting for health insurance hike), meaning less profits for them, to avoid a strike. Our Union office even didn't want the strike. The workers wanted to threaten the strike. We voted to not accept a contract that had been negotiated on our behalf, which in effect gave our employer a voluntary choice. Take less profits or take huge losses (and maybe even risk your continued existence)

Divided workers beg...United they negotiate.

To make it clear, I see and acknowledge problems with Unions. I also see and acknowledge why many people are negative about Unions. The Unionization process sounds ugly and I thank my lucky stars I missed all that.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Oxmyx wrote: I say we make America great again...if working people had good wages they could afford to buy American made goods
Actually, I am going to agree with you. My suggestion reduced to a few lines did not make much economic sense. It does work if you simultaneously add high tariffs and other protectionism, regulations, and empowering labor laws (specifically to strengthen and broaden Unions)

I'm not aware of the details, but I've heard that this country was founded on tariffs and protectionism (rather than taxation as the base of federal income). Please correct me if I am wrong. Make America great again.

You say you are priveledged. I'd have to say that I am, too.
One way that I'm priveledged is so have found myself a good Union job at long last. Specifically with the Teamsters). You scoffed wholeheartedly at the idea that any company would voluntarily choose less profits in any situation. I have been lucky enough to witness that very thing, although "voluntarily" is somewhat a matter of perspective. The company I work for volunteered to pay us workers more (actually adjusting for health insurance hike), meaning less profits for them, to avoid a strike. Our Union even didn't want the strike. The workers wanted to threaten the strike. We voted to not accept a contract that had been negotiated on our behalf.

I wish all laws worked like that. You get to vote in your representative but then get to also veto or agree to all laws he tries to pass.

Divided workers beg...United they negotiate.
I see some common ground here. I am mistrustful of unions but I suppose it would be fair to say I am more mistrustful in bureaucracy and government, particularly the federal government. As I get older and get more work experience under my belt, I find that I place a higher priority on protecting the American worker than once I did. While I do still believe in the 211th Rule of Acquisition - that employees are rungs on the ladder to success; do not be afraid to step on them - I do think that where the government interacts with economics, it should do so in a way to try to develop a healthy atmosphere in which to do business with a preference towards manufacturing and production on American shores.

The federal government's authority to levy an income tax comes from the 16th Amendment, which was ratified in 1913. The story of how the amendment came about is one of bluster, one-upsmanship and ego - in other words, humanity at its fullest flower. Prior to the 16th Amendment, the federal government did fund itself primarily through tariffs (which does at least in part inform my affinity for renewing tariffs). There were a few instances of one-time direct taxes and short lived income taxes throughout the 19th Century but the modern approach to taxation in our country did not start until early in the 20th Century. Early on, the income tax was not as widespread as it is now, starting at $250,000 of annual income and paying income tax was viewed at the time, quite perversely by modern thought, as something to brag about - "I am doing well enough that I had to pay income tax".

And we can see how that has developed over the last 100 years to screw the little guy. The tax code is too complicated, too unwieldy and too big. Rich folks see it as a game and they learn the rules and learn how to play the game and the common man ends up losing a game he never knew he was playing. A simplified tax code - be in flat tax, fair tax or what have you - would be harder to game. I have heard people make claims about wanting to simplify taxes to the point that they can be filled out on the back of a post card - I think I heard Trump tied to this kind of talk in the campaign. Attempts to make taxes, especially income taxes, regressive just open opportunities for exploitation and end up screwing the people that the regressive tax was supposed to help.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

One of the funny things about the idea of tax reform/simplification is that if you made the taxation a simple percentage based on income, you would end 1000s of jobs directly in the IRS and many more thousands with the various tax filing companies. Same arguments with universal health care. I say end those industries altogether, but it is a consideration when talking about economics.

It's a frikkin tower of cards...

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

lorddunlow wrote: It's a frikkin tower of cards...
So much of it is, right? Plus, we have to decide whether to make policy that is best for those living today versus what is best for those in the future.

Of course, there's also the conceit that there is one stationary policy that is "right." To me, it seems quite possible that the both the conservative and liberal economic models are "right" at certain times to achieve certain goals and that it might have been to our inadvertent benefit to oscillate between the two over the generations.