VALIANT SEPTEMBER 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
VALIANT SEPTEMBER 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES!!

Post by agent_graves »

38 Bloodshot 1 $3.99 Valiant 41,368 Top 50 :thumb:

285 Fallen World 5 $3.99 Valiant 5,381

287 Doctor Mirage 2 $3.99 Valiant 5,327

292 Killers 3 $3.99 Valiant 5,232

305 Psi-Lords 4 $3.99 Valiant 4,460

316 Livewire 10 $3.99 Valiant 3,814 :cry:
#StayValiant

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: VALIANT SEPTEMBER 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES!!

Post by nycjadie »

Nice to see some solid Bloodshot numbers! The rest, egad!

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

41k seems kinda low, especially with 30+ variants.

I guess I was kind of thinking X-O numbers, closer to 90k.
Moose

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Wish they would relaunch Harbinger.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

These are bad numbers, besides Bloodshot obviously. It'll be interesting to see how the 2nd and 3rd issues do.

Livewire's gonna be selling 1k by #12.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:41k seems kinda low, especially with 30+ variants.
Between the 30plus variants (which accounted for what 10kish of books?) and the upcoming movie I had expected more too.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote:These are bad numbers, besides Bloodshot obviously. It'll be interesting to see how the 2nd and 3rd issues do.

Isn’t Psi Lords 12 issues too, those sales are even worse than Livewire at the same stage!

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:These are bad numbers, besides Bloodshot obviously. It'll be interesting to see how the 2nd and 3rd issues do.

Isn’t Psi Lords 12 issues too, those sales are even worse than Livewire at the same stage!
It really was not in my future plans to buy copies of Psi-Lords #12 when I woke up this morning; however, as it appear no one else is going to do it, I might as well stock up on what is sure to be the rarest regular Valiant book ever! :lol:

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I seem to recall titles regularly sitting within the £5000 bracket around 2013 or so, so these numbers seem fine enough to me.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

I saw Robert Meyers at the Valiant booth on the last day of Baltimore Comic-Con and he mentioned that Livewire Vol. 1 was their best selling trade at the convention, completely selling out. I think he mentioned Punk Mambo too. We heard the most about Punk Mambo at our booth, and I noticed Cullen Bunn was signing a lot of Punk Mambo stuff. I believe there's a method to Valiant's madness, it just doesn't necessarily revolve around our 40 year old butts.

I was listening to Ryan Stegman's podcast a few weeks ago. Joe Quesada was the guest. He was asked about what made his tenure at Marvel successful. One of the things he mentioned was that it's never a good business move to try to go back to what worked in the past. You always have to be moving forward. I think that's what Valiant's trying to do, and I don't blame them.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

GammaJosh wrote:I saw Robert Meyers at the Valiant booth on the last day of Baltimore Comic-Con and he mentioned that Livewire Vol. 1 was their best selling trade at the convention, completely selling out. I think he mentioned Punk Mambo too. We heard the most about Punk Mambo at our booth, and I noticed Cullen Bunn was signing a lot of Punk Mambo stuff. I believe there's a method to Valiant's madness, it just doesn't necessarily revolve around our 40 year old butts.

I was listening to Ryan Stegman's podcast a few weeks ago. Joe Quesada was the guest. He was asked about what made his tenure at Marvel successful. One of the things he mentioned was that it's never a good business move to try to go back to what worked in the past. You always have to be moving forward. I think that's what Valiant's trying to do, and I don't blame them.
It’s never good business to try and go back to what worked in the past... ...UNLESS, quality is what worked in the past. Then yes, keep going back to that.

Problem I run into with those in the comic industry is that they NEVER give it to you straight. They always are positive even while the wolves are at the door and the city burns.

I love Valiant. Always have, and have been guilty of being more fair often times than I should have been.

But Livewire and Psi-Lords are ROUGH, and I say that trying to be as objective as possible.

The “idea” behind Livewire is fantastic.

But if one actually opens the book, it falls terribly short.

People are either lying, uniformed, or without standards regarding these two books.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Double post.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

The sales (mostly) reflect the quality, but also the lack of tent-pole titles. Even Fallen World isn’t labeled as Rai: Fallen World, or it may have done better.

BS does seem low considering everything. Seems it should be in the 60k range at least.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker

Post by kjjohanson »

I don't think Comichron numbers take retailer exclusives into account, so you can add something like 15K.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:I saw Robert Meyers at the Valiant booth on the last day of Baltimore Comic-Con and he mentioned that Livewire Vol. 1 was their best selling trade at the convention, completely selling out. I think he mentioned Punk Mambo too. We heard the most about Punk Mambo at our booth, and I noticed Cullen Bunn was signing a lot of Punk Mambo stuff. I believe there's a method to Valiant's madness, it just doesn't necessarily revolve around our 40 year old butts.

It’s never good business to try and go back to what worked in the past... ...UNLESS, quality is what worked in the past. Then yes, keep going back to that.

Problem I run into with those in the comic industry is that they NEVER give it to you straight. They always are positive even while the wolves are at the door and the city burns.

I love Valiant. Always have, and have been guilty of being more fair often times than I should have been.

But Livewire and Psi-Lords are ROUGH, and I say that trying to be as objective as possible.

People are either lying, uniformed, or without standards regarding these two books.
If it's volume 1 of Livewire, then sales would seem to be related to good marketing rather than opinions of the content.

I do hope that readers overlook the production error in the trade.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

BugsySig wrote:The sales (mostly) reflect the quality, but also the lack of tent-pole titles. Even Fallen World isn’t labeled as Rai: Fallen World, or it may have done better.

BS does seem low considering everything. Seems it should be in the 60k range at least.
It’s pretty elementary:
Rai: Fallen World
Ninja-K: Killers
Harbinger: Livewire

Imagine a Hellboy book just called Plague of Frogs. Would you buy that, dipping through titles?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

I've just caught up on reading the last 5 months-worth of Valiant output and imo they're putting out some good books. Sure, Bloodshot: Rising Spirit was both redundant in terms of moving the character's story forward and poor in terms of overall quality and was the single 'off' title of the bunch, but Toyo Harada was fantastic, Punk Mambo and Killers have been good so far, and Psi-Lords seems promising... Incursion and Forgotten Queen were good and and Livewire... I really don't understand what all the negative reaction on the board is about, the title seems solid to me.

I guess, as someone stated above, that I must simply have no taste. Or, as someone else stated, maybe Valiant comics is targeting a younger, comtemporary readership than is commonly found on this board, and that output isn't gelling with the majority of folks here. Who can say? :?

Still, I'd be happier with a few more of the 'big toys' back in play: XO, Harbinger, Ninjak, Shadowman, etc...

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

kjjohanson wrote:

I don't think Comichron numbers take retailer exclusives into account, so you can add something like 15K.
Actually I believe they do take into account retailer exclusives (if inside North America) but I could be wrong.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Shadowman99 wrote:[color]Or, as someone else stated, maybe Valiant comics is targeting a younger, comtemporary readership than is commonly found on this board, and that output isn't gelling with the majority of folks here. Who can say? :? [/color]
What do you mean by this? How is Valiant targeting a younger, contemporary readership? And what is it that's turning off a lot of people on this board?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:[color]Or, as someone else stated, maybe Valiant comics is targeting a younger, comtemporary readership than is commonly found on this board, and that output isn't gelling with the majority of folks here. Who can say? :? [/color]
What do you mean by this? How is Valiant targeting a younger, contemporary readership? And what is it that's turning off a lot of people on this board?
Well, lots of folks on here keep complaining about things like 'woke hipster coffee barista psi lords' and the fact that minority and female writers keep getting to write the comics, stuff like that... Which I think are issues that most younger folks would probably be pretty cool with; i.e, folks who aren't all the middle-aged white guys on this board.

So Valiant seem(?) to be targeting a younger audience than the 'average comic book guy' readership who've been buying Batman comics for the last thirty years.

Anyway, just a hunch, and sorry in advance for upsetting people with that notion. I know there'll be people on the board spring-loaded to dive all over this one, but it's really just a thought I'm putting out there, no harm intended.

labratnotincluded
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by labratnotincluded »

DirtbagSailor wrote:

Amen to that! I loved the stories pre-unity. Why did they have to move away from good storytelling. If they would go back to that, the readers will come.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Shadowman99 wrote: Well, lots of folks on here keep complaining about things like 'woke hipster coffee barista psi lords' and the fact that minority and female writers keep getting to write the comics, stuff like that... Which I think are issues that most younger folks would probably be pretty cool with; i.e, folks who aren't all the middle-aged white guys on this board.

So Valiant seem(?) to be targeting a younger audience than the 'average comic book guy' readership who've been buying Batman comics for the last thirty years.
I think that Valiant thinks that they're targeting a younger audience, but I'm not really sure what they're doing that's going to grab that younger audience's attention. You have to care about your core fanbase, first and foremost.
labratnotincluded wrote:
Amen to that! I loved the stories pre-unity. Why did they have to move away from good storytelling. If they would go back to that, the readers will come.
Are you talking about VEI, because plenty of their best stuff came out post-Unity.
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:09:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Oops, doublepost.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Shadowman99 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
Well, lots of folks on here keep complaining about things like 'woke hipster coffee barista psi lords' and the fact that minority and female writers keep getting to write the comics, stuff like that... Which I think are issues that most younger folks would probably be pretty cool with; i.e, folks who aren't all the middle-aged white guys on this board.

Anyway, just a hunch, and sorry in advance for upsetting people with that notion. I know there'll be people on the board spring-loaded to dive all over this one, but it's really just a thought I'm putting out there, no harm intended.
I don't think that it has to be that Valiant is targeting a younger audience. It could be simply that some see that they're more likely to get fresher perspectives when creators aren't the same demographic as the majority of creators in the history of comics.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:

I don't think that it has to be that Valiant is targeting a younger audience. It could be simply that some see that they're more likely to get fresher perspectives when creators aren't the same demographic as the majority of creators in the history of comics.
Do you think that's working though? Are these "fresh perspectives" leading to more readers and lifelong fans?