BAD IDEA

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: BAD IDEA

Post by ShadowTuga »

TheFerg714 wrote:
AnarchoMambo wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:I honestly hope its more of a new publisher a la Image, with indie-flavored ongoings rather than a self-contained Universe of super people, a la Valiant.
There are already many Image and Image-like books. Besides Image, there are Aftershock, Vault, Scout and others. And about half the output of Boom and Dark Horse already resembles Image books. It might be somewhat crowded there. And many Image books go away after a short and often interrupted run. Very few hits, ultimately. Not sure another upstart would do well in that kind of environment.
I 100% agree with you. There seems to be a new Image-esque company popping up every few years, and it's not like any of them are doing that great. It would just be so boring to see a bunch of random stories with nothing tying them together. Marvel and DC seriously need some healthy competition.

But... what if those stories are actually good comics, by themselves? :?
Personally, I prefer to have a book where Joshua Dysart just does whatever he wants than have the man tied to an event, crossover or whatever superhero books always do. Not to say that a superhero book by Dysart wouldn't be awesome- it would be!.

Marvel and DC really have no competition, and if Valiant 2012 did not "hurt" them at all (like it did in VH1) the chances of another publisher succeed with a superhero shared universe are pretty small, in my opinion. To think otherwise is nothing but wishful thinking, also in my opinion. The numbers on non-DC/Marvel superhero comics are not good afaik.
The public for superhero comics and their wallets will always prefer the 4th or 5th Batman or Spider-Man title published that month instead of trying something new. I am guilty of this, or used to be at least. Superhero comic book fans love their characters much more than they love the medium, i do believe. Not everyone, but most of the buyers of this type of books will stick to their monthly pile of shared universe books. Also, financially, its a "big risk" for a consumer to go all-in on a new publisher, as we did with VEI and the old guard with their VH1 old man books :D :kidaround: . And for one to truly enjoy a shared universe you gotta read more than one book, obviously, so you have to invest a little more money and time to begin with.

Just seeing great books like the first ongoings from VEI gettting basically a couple tens of thousands in sales as their highmark... its gotta be somehow disheartening for everyone involved.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

ShadowTuga wrote: Personally, I prefer to have a book where Joshua Dysart just does whatever he wants than have the man tied to an event, crossover or whatever superhero books always do. Not to say that a superhero book by Dysart wouldn't be awesome- it would be!.
I just don't agree with this statement tbh. I like superhero universes and want more of them, especially since we've lost Valiant. Obviously, that's selfish of me, but I'm still down for whatever they decide to do.
the chances of another publisher succeed with a superhero shared universe are pretty small, in my opinion.
The numbers on non-DC/Marvel superhero comics are not good afaik.
The public for superhero comics and their wallets will always prefer the 4th or 5th Batman or Spider-Man title published that month instead of trying something new.
Not everyone, but most of the buyers of this type of books will stick to their monthly pile of shared universe books.
Also, financially, its a "big risk" for a consumer to go all-in on a new publisher
And for one to truly enjoy a shared universe you gotta read more than one book, obviously, so you have to invest a little more money and time to begin with.
All of this sounds like a #BADIDEA.
Just seeing great books like the first ongoings from VEI gettting basically a couple tens of thousands in sales as their highmark... its gotta be somehow disheartening for everyone involved.
Well who's to say any other comic publisher is doing any better than "a couple tens of thousands." The fact of the matter is, if you exclude Marvel, DC, Walking Dead, Saga, and licensed properties, when Dinesh was in charge, Valiant was routinely outselling every other publisher. They were way more stable than people give them credit. For a while there, almost every issue was doing around 10k, with #1's pulling in some major Top 50 numbers.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Any chance they secured enough funding to buy out DMG?

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Wow, Dinesh teases coming back with an awesome new company with A-level talent and people instantly jump to buying VEI or the GK3. Some of you won't be happy until Jim Shooter and X-O Manowar themselves make you air tight. Let them do their own thing!

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
BAD IDEA

Post by AnarchoMambo »

I’ve just been enjoying putting out interpretations of the various social media posts, and wondering aloud whether the name itself is in actuality a clue. I marveled at what a Bad Idea it would be to buy the GK3 and, well, it would all be a rather poetically Bad Idea, wouldn’t it? Whatever it is, I think Dino has something awesome up his sleeve, and he will have a way to turn a (perhaps literally) Bad Idea into gold. Yeah, I hope it’s new stuff too. (or GK3 wink)

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

FormerReader wrote:Any chance they secured enough funding to buy out DMG?
Highly Unlikely!!! :(
#StayValiant

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

GammaJosh wrote:Wow, Dinesh teases coming back with an awesome new company with A-level talent and people instantly jump to buying VEI or the GK3. Some of you won't be happy until Jim Shooter and X-O Manowar themselves make you air tight. Let them do their own thing!
If Bad Idea is going to be a superhero universe, I think it would be a great idea to have something like Gold Key to build a foundation on, and it would be a neat middle finger to Valiant.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I’m really happy Dinesh is doing this and I am really looking forward to it. I’m still a Valiant lifer but this is going to be some cool *SQUEE*.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I have no idea what Dinesh is doing, but I'm glad the band is getting back together. I was a fan.

I am amazed how much buzz this is getting with the Valiant fans. I mean, nothing has been announced yet!

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:I have no idea what Dinesh is doing, but I'm glad the band is getting back together. I was a fan.

I am amazed how much buzz this is getting with the Valiant fans. I mean, nothing has been announced yet!
It seems like there's more activity on the Facebook Bad Idea fan page than on the Valiant group. Speculation drives more conversation than discussing actual books sometimes.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

nycjadie wrote:I have no idea what Dinesh is doing, but I'm glad the band is getting back together. I was a fan.

I think we’re all just looking forward to good books again, even if that means starting over.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

WELL SAID.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

GammaJosh wrote:Some of you won't be happy until Jim Shooter and X-O Manowar themselves make you air tight.
Um, no, and no thank you.

:|

-slym (don't Urban Dictionary "air tight" if you don't already know what it means, folks - fair warning)
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

slym2none wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:Some of you won't be happy until Jim Shooter and X-O Manowar themselves make you air tight.

-slym (don't Urban Dictionary "air tight" if you don't already know what it means, folks - fair warning)

I dit it. facepalm
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

slym2none wrote: -slym (don't Urban Dictionary "air tight" if you don't already know what it means, folks - fair warning)
No, do!
:D

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

ShadowTuga wrote:
slym2none wrote:

I dit it. facepalm
I won't say I told you so...

:lol:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

slym2none wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
slym2none wrote:

I dit it. facepalm

-slym

I think I searched wrong. :|

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Beware Cyclops wrote:
slym2none wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
slym2none wrote:

I dit it. facepalm

-slym

I just laughed so hard it reverberated around my house. Thanks for that. :thumb:

Funcha
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

Whatever Dinesh does, I'm on board for. I just really hope this doesn't become a "history repeating itself" again because Defiant didn't last long!

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker

Post by kjjohanson »

Funcha wrote:Whatever Dinesh does, I'm on board for. I just really hope this doesn't become a "history repeating itself" again because Defiant didn't last long!
Defiant didn't last long because Marvel's lawsuit (they sued Defiant for trying to use "Plasm" as a title when they were trying to trademark "Plasmer") sucked away their money.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

kjjohanson wrote:
Funcha wrote:Whatever Dinesh does, I'm on board for. I just really hope this doesn't become a "history repeating itself" again because Defiant didn't last long!
Defiant didn't last long because Marvel's lawsuit (they sued Defiant for trying to use "Plasm" as a title when they were trying to trademark "Plasmer") sucked away their money.
You don't think Marvel could claim some sort of copyright over bad ideas, do you? :o

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

slym2none wrote:

Hahaha. I hadn't heard and didn't think anything of the phrase, aside from economic stability. But you got me thinking...I think I made a similar comment about Jeri Ryan recently in the catsuit thread.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

AnarchoMambo wrote:I’ve just been enjoying putting out interpretations of the various social media posts, and wondering aloud whether the name itself is in actuality a clue. I marveled at what a Bad Idea it would be to buy the GK3 and, well, it would all be a rather poetically Bad Idea, wouldn’t it? Whatever it is, I think Dino has something awesome up his sleeve, and he will have a way to turn a (perhaps literally) Bad Idea into gold. Yeah, I hope it’s new stuff too. (or GK3 wink)
The recent Get Valiant! interview with Dinesh featured a cryptic description of the Bad Idea plans. He talked about going way back to the origins of comics for inspiration. "Something cool that hadn't been done in a very long time"

Is that a hint at GK3? Probably not, but at least it could be.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Beware Cyclops wrote:
slym2none wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
slym2none wrote:

I dit it. facepalm

-slym

Well, the forced diversity folks do want a gay superhero, don't they? Coming in 2020....Airtight! What's his superpower? Don't Google it, folks.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

Oxmyx wrote: He talked about going way back to the origins of comics for inspiration. "Something cool that hadn't been done in a very long time"
Newspaper comic strips? Yep, that's a bad idea.