BAD IDEA

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Re: BAD IDEA

Post by Oxmyx »

possumgrease wrote:
Oxmyx wrote: He talked about going way back to the origins of comics for inspiration. "Something cool that hadn't been done in a very long time"
Newspaper comic strips? Yep, that's a bad idea.
Oh Divinity
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Oxmyx wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:
slym2none wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
slym2none wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:Some of you won't be happy until Jim Shooter and X-O Manowar themselves make you air tight.
Um, no, and no thank you.

:|

(don't Urban Dictionary "air tight" if you don't already know what it means, folks - fair warning)

I dit it. facepalm
I won't say I told you so...

:lol:

I think I searched wrong. :|
Well, the forced diversity folks do want a gay superhero, don't they? Coming in 2020....Airtight! What's his superpower? Don't Google it, folks.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Oxmyx wrote:
AnarchoMambo wrote:I’ve just been enjoying putting out interpretations of the various social media posts, and wondering aloud whether the name itself is in actuality a clue. I marveled at what a Bad Idea it would be to buy the GK3 and, well, it would all be a rather poetically Bad Idea, wouldn’t it? Whatever it is, I think Dino has something awesome up his sleeve, and he will have a way to turn a (perhaps literally) Bad Idea into gold. Yeah, I hope it’s new stuff too. (or GK3 wink)
The recent Get Valiant! interview with Dinesh featured a cryptic description of the Bad Idea plans. He talked about going way back to the origins of comics for inspiration. "Something cool that hadn't been done in a very long time"

Is that a hint at GK3? Probably not, but at least it could be.
Maybe a high page-count anthology? That would be cool, especially if we're looking at all premium creative teams. Some fans might know one creator's work, but not others. Might work to recruit new readers to the others' work
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

kjjohanson wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
AnarchoMambo wrote:I’ve just been enjoying putting out interpretations of the various social media posts, and wondering aloud whether the name itself is in actuality a clue. I marveled at what a Bad Idea it would be to buy the GK3 and, well, it would all be a rather poetically Bad Idea, wouldn’t it? Whatever it is, I think Dino has something awesome up his sleeve, and he will have a way to turn a (perhaps literally) Bad Idea into gold. Yeah, I hope it’s new stuff too. (or GK3 wink)
The recent Get Valiant! interview with Dinesh featured a cryptic description of the Bad Idea plans. He talked about going way back to the origins of comics for inspiration. "Something cool that hadn't been done in a very long time"

Is that a hint at GK3? Probably not, but at least it could be.
Maybe a high page-count anthology? That would be cool, especially if we're looking at all premium creative teams. Some fans might know one creator's work, but not others. Might work to recruit new readers to the others' work

That would be cool.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Mail-order subscriptions? (Straight from the publisher, not a retailer.)

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

The team coming together for this all have something in common: they are really, really good and building and managing a shared universe. Surely, they'll do that right?

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Straight-to-trade paper back comics? :? I could appreciate that from any publisher.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:Straight-to-trade paper back comics? :? I could appreciate that from any publisher.
There’s been a few interesting publishing plans out there recently. One publisher was only printing #1 issues then releasing the full arc in trade a month later. Some others are only doing digital release and trades in various orders (release monthly digitally than trade, or trade and 1st issue digitally at the same time then the rest monthly).

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

It is really fun to see everyone guess about what is planned.

We all know how crowded the market is these days, so to have any new publisher succeed they really need to do something very different, something no one else is doing. Can you buck all the trends, procedures and convention of modern comics and still be successful?

I don't know but that may sound like a #BadIdea to most people!

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I wonder if its more retailer based, as in BAD IDEA.
Just thinking about returns etc. Maybe all books are returnable? That's a #BAdIdea
Or like in Australia years ago, don't know about USA.
Where a distributor sent the shop (NOT a comic shop, but Newsagent newsstand editions) comics or magazine to sell. If unsold, the shop would tear of the front cover and return those for refund?
Sometime at the back of the newsagent you could get coverless comics from the bin ~ I read a lot of Conan the Barbarian that way.
or
Maybe just good comics sold cheap?

Just thinking out loud.

Anyway, it has been a good promotional idea to get people talking and raising awareness.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Phantom wrote:Maybe just good comics sold cheap?
$1.99 standard comic book price across the industry: now there's a #badidea I could get behind :) It'll only take one publisher to have success with the idea before it catches on! :p

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Shadowman99 wrote:
$1.99 standard comic book price across the industry: now there's a #badidea I could get behind :) It'll only take one publisher to have success with the idea before it catches on! :p
I don't recall which episode of OTV podcast but the guys there were talking about how unnecessary glossy pages were in comics if that makes comics expensive and out of reach of the average youth. I agree. Sure they look good. But that right there of a non-disposable cover price makes the industry hard on would be readers
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Oxmyx wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
I don't recall which episode of OTV podcast but the guys there were talking about how unnecessary glossy pages were in comics if that makes comics expensive and out of reach of the average youth. I agree. Sure they look good. But that right there of a non-disposable cover price makes the industry hard on would be readers
Most of the disproportionate increase in the cost of comics over the last couple of decades (compared to other consumer goods/inflation) is the rising cost of paper. A couple of years ago at NYCC, I attended an Image panel where the creator/writer of COWL mentioned he was working on a throwback issue of the book that was going to look like an '80s book. I asked if he was going to print it on newsprint (like books from that era), and he said that he actually looked into that possibility and found that the cost of that paper would be *more* than the glossy paper they currently use. When you consider that, and the fact that the lower sales numbers mean that a larger proportion of each issue's sales need to go to cover the costs of the labor producing each issue, the possibility of a $1.99 comic seems highly unlikely. Also, consider the fact that the current cover price on Valiant's books are the same as Marvel and DC. That's pretty significant. Back in the '80s and '90s the cover price of an independent comic (that was printed on the same type of paper) was often twice that of a Marvel or DC book.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

kjjohanson wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Most of the disproportionate increase in the cost of comics over the last couple of decades (compared to other consumer goods/inflation) is the rising cost of paper. A couple of years ago at NYCC, I attended an Image panel where the creator/writer of COWL mentioned he was working on a throwback issue of the book that was going to look like an '80s book. I asked if he was going to print it on newsprint (like books from that era), and he said that he actually looked into that possibility and found that the cost of that paper would be *more* than the glossy paper they currently use. When you consider that, and the fact that the lower sales numbers mean that a larger proportion of each issue's sales need to go to cover the costs of the labor producing each issue, the possibility of a $1.99 comic seems highly unlikely. Also, consider the fact that the current cover price on Valiant's books are the same as Marvel and DC. That's pretty significant. Back in the '80s and '90s the cover price of an independent comic (that was printed on the same type of paper) was often twice that of a Marvel or DC book.
I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen a price bump on Valiant's comics in the almost 8 years they've been publishing. With the big 2's books now being 3.99 (and, if I'm not mistaken, sometimes 4.99 for a first issue), I would have expected an increase to 4.99 for a new issue by now.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Their a a few independent publishers in uk, that print as a newspaper. Not newspaper, or none glossy paper in comic book form.
But actually print it as a newspaper.
They come out rarely, sold really cheap (£2) new, and a lot of content. Have a few of these floating around. Always good to get a lot of content cheap to see different art styles and story telling.

Another idea ~ Maybe its an anthology?

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

my badidea, is a badidea.
Ignore post above.

Silly to print a newspaper.
Still I think it has something to do with distribution and retailers.
Unless it is a co operative partnership with the comic.

Dribbling rubbish now. Sorry

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
I'm aware that the reality of a publisher actually being able to publish £2 comics and cover their overheads isn't really probably going to be possible, but it's an appealing prospect for a consumer. Imagine that all the comics you wanted to buy every month were £2 rather than £4 - you could literally afford to buy twice the amount of comics that you wanted to, and I think we'd all be happy with that :)

Well, it was a nice thought anyway...

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
I'm aware that the reality of a publisher actually being able to publish £2 comics and cover their overheads isn't really probably going to be possible, but it's an appealing prospect for a consumer. Imagine that all the comics you wanted to buy every month were £2 rather than £4 - you could literally afford to buy twice the amount of comics that you wanted to, and I think we'd all be happy with that :)

Well, it was a nice thought anyway...

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So as well as writing in blue, are you going to double post every time too. :kidaround:
Would Soooooo love £2 comics / $2 comics. Oh well.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Phantom wrote:So as well as writing in blue, are you going to double post every time too. :kidaround:
Er, looks like it I guess, yeah :lol:

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Phantom wrote:So as well as writing in blue, are you going to double post every time too. :kidaround:
Er, looks like it I guess, yeah :lol:

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BugsySig
BAD IDEA

Post by BugsySig »

It’s officially un-official!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12/28 ... -giorello/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bleeding Cool collecting all the data and expecting more news in the new year.

Among the people mentioning or mentioned in #BadIdea posts are Dino, Warren, Hunter G, KindT, V-ditty, Dysart, Lemire, Lewis Larossa and Thomas Giorello.

Sounds like a #BadIdea to me.

TBC...

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

BugsySig wrote:It’s officially un-official!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12/28 ... -giorello/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Among the people mentioning or mentioned in #BadIdea posts are Dino, Warren, Hunter G, KindT, V-ditty, Dysart, Lemire, Lewis Larossa and Thomas Giorello.

TBC...
:gossip: Also, (possibly) Atom Freeman. Changed his Twitter banner to a Bad Idea graphic. And Dinesh posted it:
https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1204880971243212801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a teasing(?) of Josh Johns:

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1206976313816313856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Beware Cyclops wrote:
BugsySig wrote:It’s officially un-official!

TBC...
:gossip: Also, (possibly) Atom Freeman. Changed his Twitter banner to a Bad Idea graphic. And Dinesh posted it:
https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1204880971243212801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a teasing(?) of Josh Johns:

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1206976313816313856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;