BAD IDEA

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: BAD IDEA

Post by BugsySig »

In all seriousness, I’m thinking about what these creators did under the leadership of Dino, Warren, et al. Specifically the original concepts, such as Divinity, Imperium (mostly), etc., as well as the many Indy/creator owned works they’ve done. Put all that together and you may end up with a very cool collection of books coming out of Bad Idea.

Still the questions of shared universe or not, superhero or various genres, creator owned or work for hire. But overall I am getting excited to hear what is coming in 2020.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

BugsySig wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:
BugsySig wrote:It’s officially un-official!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12/28 ... -giorello/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bleeding Cool collecting all the data and expecting more news in the new year.

Among the people mentioning or mentioned in #BadIdea posts are Dino, Warren, Hunter G, KindT, V-ditty, Dysart, Lemire, Lewis Larossa and Thomas Giorello.

Sounds like a #BadIdea to me.

TBC...
:gossip: Also, (possibly) Atom Freeman. Changed his Twitter banner to a Bad Idea graphic. And Dinesh posted it:
https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1204880971243212801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a teasing(?) of Josh Johns:

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1206976313816313856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aannddd confirmed on the Josh Johns and Atom Freeman (and the rest):

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1210982522894446592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Beware Cyclops wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12/28 ... -giorello/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Among the people mentioning or mentioned in #BadIdea posts are Dino, Warren, Hunter G, KindT, V-ditty, Dysart, Lemire, Lewis Larossa and Thomas Giorello.

TBC...
:gossip: Also, (possibly) Atom Freeman. Changed his Twitter banner to a Bad Idea graphic. And Dinesh posted it:
https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1204880971243212801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1206976313816313856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aannddd confirmed on the Josh Johns and Atom Freeman (and the rest):

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1210982522894446592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: someone’s been trolling the board. :lol:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Also mentioned in that tweet by Dino? Eric Heisserer!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:Also mentioned in that tweet by Dino? Eric Heisserer!
:clap: :headbang: :clap: :headbang: :clap:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

BugsySig wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:

TBC...

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:

TBC...

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

I’m looking forward to getting some hints as to some of the details of what they will be doing. Based on their past work, I will be buying whatever they put out, likely at the expense of Valiant. I really hope Valiant can get back on track in 2020.

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

BugsySig wrote: Ding ding ding we have a winner!
:superstar:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

BugsySig wrote:In all seriousness, I’m thinking about what these creators did under the leadership of Dino, Warren, et al. Specifically the original concepts, such as Divinity, Imperium (mostly), etc., as well as the many Indy/creator owned works they’ve done. Put all that together and you may end up with a very cool collection of books coming out of Bad Idea.

Still the questions of shared universe or not, superhero or various genres, creator owned or work for hire. But overall I am getting excited to hear what is coming in 2020.
I remember reading something, from Kindt I believe (but it could have been Lemire) around the time of the DMG takeover, that he was done with creating work for other people to own. I would love to see a shared universe, and think it would be interesting to have creator ownership as part of the equation. That didn't really lend itself to maintaining a shared universe with Image, but from what I can see, the level of ego with this batch of guys is much lower than with the Image founders (on average, at the very least), so maybe they can get that to work.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

kjjohanson wrote:
BugsySig wrote:In all seriousness, I’m thinking about what these creators did under the leadership of Dino, Warren, et al. Specifically the original concepts, such as Divinity, Imperium (mostly), etc., as well as the many Indy/creator owned works they’ve done. Put all that together and you may end up with a very cool collection of books coming out of Bad Idea.

I remember reading something, from Kindt I believe (but it could have been Lemire) around the time of the DMG takeover, that he was done with creating work for other people to own. I would love to see a shared universe, and think it would be interesting to have creator ownership as part of the equation. That didn't really lend itself to maintaining a shared universe with Image, but from what I can see, the level of ego with this batch of guys is much lower than with the Image founders (on average, at the very least), so maybe they can get that to work.
If they really want to do something different, that’s about the only thing that isn’t currently being done. Image was able to maintain a shared, creator owned superhero universe for a while but it ultimately amounted to a bunch of cameos and 1-off crossovers and eventually fell apart (though I suppose it still exists to some small extent).

Actionverse attempted this as well with Stray, Midnight Tiger, Molly Danger and others, but that also fell apart as people weren’t able to meet deadlines on their own books (a la 90s Image).

The problem is how do you hold creators accountable for their own properties? As you said, guys like Kindt, Dysart, Lemire, etc. seem a lot more responsible than the Image crew as they regularly produce creator owned work at various publishers (those original Image founders were also all doing the art for their books as well).

So then it comes down to profit sharing, ownership, rights, licensing, etc. Does Bad Idea make an arrangement where they have exclusive publishing rights to creator owned IPs, but creators maintain all the other media rights to cash in on as they please (TV, movie, etc.)? Or are these creators all part owners of the IPs and work together to have a shared universe? If anyone can figure it out I guess it would be Dino and crew.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

BugsySig wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

If they really want to do something different, that’s about the only thing that isn’t currently being done. Image was able to maintain a shared, creator owned superhero universe for a while but it ultimately amounted to a bunch of cameos and 1-off crossovers and eventually fell apart (though I suppose it still exists to some small extent).

Actionverse attempted this as well with Stray, Midnight Tiger, Molly Danger and others, but that also fell apart as people weren’t able to meet deadlines on their own books (a la 90s Image).

The problem is how do you hold creators accountable for their own properties? As you said, guys like Kindt, Dysart, Lemire, etc. seem a lot more responsible than the Image crew as they regularly produce creator owned work at various publishers (those original Image founders were also all doing the art for their books as well).

So then it comes down to profit sharing, ownership, rights, licensing, etc. Does Bad Idea make an arrangement where they have exclusive publishing rights to creator owned IPs, but creators maintain all the other media rights to cash in on as they please (TV, movie, etc.)? Or are these creators all part owners of the IPs and work together to have a shared universe? If anyone can figure it out I guess it would be Dino and crew.
It's certainly not an easy problem to work out. There are probably all sorts of problems that might not be apparent at the beginning that might be difficult to solve if not everyone is on the same page. What some might consider a bad idea

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

kjjohanson wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

It's certainly not an easy problem to work out. There are probably all sorts of problems that might not be apparent at the beginning that might be difficult to solve if not everyone is on the same page. What some might consider a bad idea
Could there be a bigger end game to all this? Remember, HiveMind is still in play here, and won't be going away. Maybe, whatever this turns out to be (and I would imagine a shared universe), is exactly what you've already stated, profit sharing, but not just in comics. From birth of the comics, to potential movies, maybe Dinesh is playing the game of keeping it all in their hands?

Share profits of the comics, if it's good enough (the entire universe), Eric Heisserer (and author) writes scripts, movies get pushed out to whatever studio (Sony, Paramount, etc), Hivemind produces them and the author takes part in everything. They're all close friends, this makes total sense!
Moose

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

So maybe it is a cooperative comic as I mentioned in an earlier post.
Always wondered why this was not done before, maybe it has?
Hope this expands beyond a single comic, looking forward to it.

Valiant, even with its previous publishing, was a hard sell to a lot of people.
Dino and Co put a lot of effort promoting and pushing Valiant, which had an existing fan base.

Imagine starting completely from scratch, all new publisher with all new content ~ must be daunting, more so than restarting Valiant.
#BadIdea
Starting a new company in a hard, flooded market with low sales.
Hope they get noticed, really looking forward to see how it develops.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Phantom wrote:So maybe it is a cooperative comic as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Dino and Co put a lot of effort promoting and pushing Valiant, which had an existing fan base.

Imagine starting completely from scratch, all new publisher with all new content ~ must be daunting, more so than restarting Valiant.
#BadIdea
We're with you, buddy.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

So what do you guys think this "one copy per person" comment was all about? (See the twitter post linked above, comments section from Dino)

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Shadowman99 wrote:So what do you guys think this "one copy per person" comment was all about? (See the twitter post linked above, comments section from Dino)
I think they just decided to have some fun by casting doubt on any and all assumptions

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Also mentioned is someone named “Bobby” who was name dropped by Josh Johns, but according to Dino has not been announced as working with Bad Idea yet.

My first thought was Robert Venditti, but given his status with DC right now I’m not sure what his availability is.

Bob Layton? We know VEI establishes a relationship with him, but he hasn’t done much over the past few years in comics.

Other “Bobby”s who have worked with VEI? Roberto de la Tore is the only other one that comes to mind.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Phantom wrote:So maybe it is a cooperative comic as I mentioned in an earlier post.

#BadIdea
Oh come on, you know as well as I do he has a massive fan base from which to pull from. :P :lol: Why do you think he is pulling all of the great minds of old VEI? He's stealing VEI's fanbase from Valiant (or at least cutting into their fan base). There isn't an author/artist listed that we all don't absolutely love, and when combined together, would read whatever they put out (where ever).

I'm a fan of Dinesh and his passion for comics, it's contagious. He knows he had something magical that was about to happen at VEI before the takeover, he wants to see it come to life! I think we were all feeling like it was about to seriously pop off. From the interviews and webisodes that have been put out (his interviews), I think we all know THIS could be that pop!
Moose

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

BugsySig wrote:Also mentioned is someone named “Bobby” who was name dropped by Josh Johns, but according to Dino has not been announced as working with Bad Idea yet.

My first thought was Robert Venditti, but given his status with DC right now I’m not sure what his availability is.

Bob Layton? We know VEI establishes a relationship with him, but he hasn’t done much over the past few years in comics.

Other “Bobby”s who have worked with VEI? Roberto de la Tore is the only other one that comes to mind.
It's Rob Liefeld

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

kjjohanson wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:So what do you guys think this "one copy per person" comment was all about? (See the twitter post linked above, comments section from Dino)
I think they just decided to have some fun by casting doubt on any and all assumptions
No, I'm betting that he is saying exactly what his plan is. Sell at a few places, one copy per customer. I think there will be other forces involved, but I do believe that's exactly what they are planning
Moose

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

How awesome would it be if it was Robert Kirkman

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

kjjohanson wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Also mentioned is someone named “Bobby” who was name dropped by Josh Johns, but according to Dino has not been announced as working with Bad Idea yet.

It's Rob Liefeld
Bwahahahaha

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

kjjohanson wrote:

It's Rob Liefeld
I always thought Divinity needed more pouches.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

It's Rob Liefeld
I always thought Divinity needed more pouches.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
And less feet.