Gt V #141 guest says "I don't wanna get too far in th weeds"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Gt V #141 guest says "I don't wanna get too far in th weeds"

Post by Oxmyx »

Guest being Valiant Senior Editor, and question being about what the hell happened with Bloodshot Rising Spirit

Great way to not answer a question

Props to the hosts for trying to ask a "hard question"

About time index 24:00
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa
Re: Gt V #141 guest says "I don't wanna get too far in th we

Post by sonicdan »

My take was that he acknowledged the misstep, learned from it and is actively working to avoid the same pitfalls in the future.
How would you answer, if you were in that position, without alienating creative partners?
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Regarding the pre-orders for Psi-Lords, Myers mentions that they’re not paid for in advance. That might be true for retailers, but DCBS charges for the entire batch of pre-orders at the beginning. The same might be true of other retailers.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

sonicdan wrote:My take was that he acknowledged the misstep, learned from it and is actively working to avoid the same pitfalls in the future.
How would you answer, if you were in that position, without alienating creative partners?
I hear what you are saying, and I can see where it can be seen as a the best response in that situation. However your summary (acknowledgement, learned, avoiding) feels much more direct than his actual from the interview. If he did own responsibility and acknowledge the misstep he did it in a roundabout way I found distasteful for my tastes

What's funny here is that I haven't read Bloodshot Rising Spirit except issue 5 and don't really have room to comment on the quality.

However, I do have as much room as anyone else to watch the podcast and comment on his answers. I still feel he was distastefully evasive. But I do 100% understand he kinda has to stand behind his product
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

The guy admitted to making a mistake. That never happens in the comic industry. I actually thought it was pretty cool that he said that, even with the "roundabout" language.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Oxmyx wrote:
sonicdan wrote:My take was that he acknowledged the misstep, learned from it and is actively working to avoid the same pitfalls in the future.
I hear what you are saying, and I can see where it can be seen as a the best response in that situation. However your summary (acknowledgement, learned, avoiding) feels much more direct than his actual from the interview. If he did own responsibility and acknowledge the misstep he did it in a roundabout way I found distasteful for my tastes
Your bias is showing. I watched it too. He clearly took the blame and said mistakes were made on their end in the office, while letting all the creatives off the hook. Classy response, and I don't know what else you expect him to say? Were you hoping for "It was *SQUEE*, please kick my *SQUEE* in the parking lot after the podcast"?

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Also, like, he's been with the company since 2012. He's at a ton of cons. Referring to him as "Valiant senior editor" and refusing to simply call him "Robert" also shows you've already made up your mind about what Valiant is doing.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

TheFerg714 wrote:The guy admitted to making a mistake. That never happens in the comic industry. I actually thought it was pretty cool that he said that, even with the "roundabout" language.
This thread has been more informative than I expected. I didn't realize how the Editor's answers were received by others. I'm fairly new to the genre of comics. But I'm not new to media in general and yes ANY media manager admitting a mistake is a big deal. I stand corrected. More or less.

GammaJosh, I hope that also addresses your concerns somewhat.
As far as my bias showing, I'm not sure what bias I have, to be honest, except that I hear so much grumbling on this website about the DMG era I am pre-concerned. I say pre-concerned because I have yet to read any DMG that I know of (except Rising Spirit#5)

As far as not using his name, I think this is far less sinister than you suppose. I just couldn't remember at the time I posted and didn't feel like taking the time to edit my post.

To be honest, perhaps that does show a subconscious dismissal, and I apologise if that is so. But I think more it shows my status as a man who isn't paying close attention to ANY editors usually. I didn't learn who Warren was/is until about 8 months ago

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

No worries. Robert isn't as overtly outgoing as Dinesh, but I promise he is super friendly. I wish people would give him a chance, learn his name, etc. I say this not as a personal friend of his. I really barely know him. But I have worked with him on several projects and just find him to be a good guy with legitimate love for the Valiant characters.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

What happened with Bloodshot PRS that made it a disaster or problem or misstep?

Honest question - I haven't read it nor followed it.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

IMJ wrote:What happened with Bloodshot PRS that made it a disaster or problem or misstep?

The writers ditched the series after one issue, to be followed by two more writers (three writing shifts within 8 issues).

Artist ditched the book after 3 issues, and needed fill in help for those. He was followed by a rotating door of about 10 artists.
The original artist, Ken Lashley, literally admitted that guns and violence weren't his wheelhouse :? , so who knows who decided to hire him in the first place.

Each issue featured one big dream sequence that was retconned by the end, and overall the quality was extremely poor, from awkward, dull dialogue, to indecipherable artwork.

I sort skimmed the last few issues, so maybe it got a little better when Eliot Rahal jumped on board. I doubt it.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

TheFerg714 wrote:
IMJ wrote:What happened with Bloodshot PRS that made it a disaster or problem or misstep?

The writers ditched the series after one issue, to be followed by two more writers (three writing shifts within 8 issues).

Artist ditched the book after 3 issues, and needed fill in help for those. He was followed by a rotating door of about 10 artists.
The original artist, Ken Lashley, literally admitted that guns and violence weren't his wheelhouse :? , so who knows who decided to hire him in the first place.

Each issue featured one big dream sequence that was retconned by the end, and overall the quality was extremely poor, from awkward, dull dialogue, to indecipherable artwork.

I sort skimmed the last few issues, so maybe it got a little better when Eliot Rahal jumped on board. I doubt it.
In fairness to the writers and artists, editorial asked them to rewrite and draw issues several times. I think the first issue was rewritten three times as it was being drawn, requiring additional rewrites. A hot mess.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

nycjadie wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:

In fairness to the writers and artists, editorial asked them to rewrite and draw issues several times. I think the first issue was rewritten three times as it was being drawn, requiring additional rewrites. A hot mess.
Before this series came out, Robert Meyers was taking credit for his big get with Ken Lashley and the script for issue one which I remember at a panel in 2018 he said he oversaw and thought was the best Bloodshot story anyone had every put together. To me this story is the canary in the coal mine. He seems nice (if cocky for no reason) but there must have been a reason Dinesh and Warren never put him in a creative position.