"today's 14 year olds don't care one twit about comics"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.
Re: "today's 14 year olds don't care one twit about comics"

Post by Phantom »

was at forbidden planet London yesterday. Sunday, very busy.
Very few pre teen in store, mostly late teen and adults.
Hardly any teens downstairs in comic section, all on ground floor in pop culture stuff.

I do think comics are overpriced. Should have a $1 /$1.50 core comic character of spiderman or batman on the shelves rather than 4$. Their are so many of those character titles each month. Wonder if they could get away with reprints of previous 'adventure / cartoon animated books.

I bet someone is going to tell me they already do that.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re:

Post by Shadowman99 »

BugsySig wrote:Seems to me they over supply already (through incentives and return-ability)...
Although it's not what you meant by "over-supply", I feel that the big two byfar over-do their lines. What I mean is, the reason I like Valiant is that there's only ever one narrative per title at one point in time, eg: one Eternal Warrior comic running at once, one XO comic at a time, etc. So you always know that the narrative relative to that character/title is moving forward (in theory).

With Marvel and DC, there are so many Spider Man and Batman comics every month that I literally don't know where to start, never mind which is the one that has the truly relevant narrative occurring.

Just something to think about.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Seems to me they over supply already (through incentives and return-ability)...
Although it's not what you meant by "over-supply", I feel that the big two byfar over-do their lines. What I mean is, the reason I like Valiant is that there's only ever one narrative per title at one point in time, eg: one Eternal Warrior comic running at once, one XO comic at a time, etc. So you always know that the narrative relative to that character/title is moving forward (in theory).

With Marvel and DC, there are so many Spider Man and Batman comics every month that I literally don't know where to start, never mind which is the one that has the truly relevant narrative occurring.

Just something to think about.
That’s a fair statement too. What I mean though is they literally publish way more issues than actually end up in the hands of a consumer/reader. They force an LCS to buy 20/50/100 copies, when they might only have 5-10 customers who actually want to buy and read the book, just to get an incentive variant they MIGHT be able to sell for a profit. Or they over produce a #1 or special issue, slap “returnable” on it so stores will buy more copies, just to rip the covers off and send them back to HQ.

And all for what? So they can say they sold X number of copies? Meanwhile there’s no new readership being produced and their product is rotting away on the shelf or in a $0.25 bin somewhere, which isn’t helping them look good in the long term.

Imagine just sending an LCS what they need based on how many people actually buy the book every month. Then they get all kinds of buzz when suddenly people are looking for the latest issue of Batman featuring the new character from the new tv show or movie and they can’t find it anywhere. The secondary market shoots up, and then you can pitch 2nd and 3rd printings due to ACTUALLY selling out and not “selling out.”

I could be talking out my arse, but it makes some sense to me.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Re:

Post by jmatt »

Shadowman99 wrote:With Marvel and DC, there are so many Spider Man and Batman comics every month that I literally don't know where to start, never mind which is the one that has the truly relevant narrative occurring.
Been there. I have twice thought about getting back into Marvel and was just bewildered by all of the titles.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

The kids are reading Dave pilkey and Rene telgemeir.

Not_Bloodshot
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: The Goat
Favorite writer: David Micheline
Favorite artist: Davis

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

If I win the Powerball, I am going to offer to purchase one or two Local Comic shops so I can have their inventory and help the owners that kept the dream alive for so long. I will then build a Mega Comic store. I’ll section one part with all of the comic related arcade games from the past and present. I’ll then make another section as just a cool shop. Another section would be laid out like an elegant museum with high end pieces and original artwork. I’d also put together another part with collectible cards related to comics. Finally, I’d put together as another section as a High and low-end toy section.

The store would host events and educational seminars for local kids and adults. I’d host artists and writers to help teach kids how to be creative from different eras and promote the hell out of it regionally.

I’d lose all of my $, but I feel like I would have left a legacy of great things behind to inspire an entire generation.

There’s something to be said for the tangible processes associated with the entire genre that people lose out on.

This is what the world needs. Come on Powerball!

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

jmatt wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:With Marvel and DC, there are so many Spider Man and Batman comics every month that I literally don't know where to start, never mind which is the one that has the truly relevant narrative occurring.
Been there. I have twice thought about getting back into Marvel and was just bewildered by all of the titles.
That's what puts me off the big two. Which probably is why they relaunch all the time.
A good comic shop owner can guide you, however many comic book shops are not comic book shops but pop culture / cult following shops.

In the UK when I am travelling and search for comic book shops, it is more of a pop culture shop. Many focusing on gaming cards, pop figures board games and Warhammer, with very few comics on the shelves.
I figure they are following the profit, which is wise.

Anyone else had this experience while travelling? Searching for comic book shops, and finding pretty much everything on the shops but very few comics.

Has mailorder / internet killed comics? Also a savy teenager can read all the comics they wish for free online. Could be readership of comics is bigger than we think, people are just accessing them for free.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Brighton
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2015 thanks to ComicBento
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Alex Ross

Post by Brighton »

slack wrote:Has anyone shared proof of that assertion, or just opinions?

I can’t say this is proof but I just turned 21 back in July and can say no one my age collects comics that I know. I have been collecting a long time but didn’t start getting lots of comics consistently until I was 16 and had a job. That’s when I tried talking to others about comics but only had one friend in high school who read them and many were ones I let him barrow. Growing up I’ve known 3 guys who also read comics, one who pirates them, one who lies a lot for some reason about how much and what he’s read, & one who rarely can buy them cause they’re expensive and mostly read ones I let him barrow. Got him into Valiant though. Sadly when I try to get people into comics they just don’t wanna start buying. They barrow some and never go to a comic store to get their own. Except this one guy name Dylan I recently got into East Of West.

I have cousins around 15 who say they don’t know anyone who reads comics. & if they do they don’t use ComiXology or anything they pirate them:/ which sucks cause it doesn’t help sales.

Comics are a lot for young people. I’m able to get a good amount cause I was lucky and stumbled onto a good job. Friends around my age (my friends ages range from 19-25 ish) don’t collect cause they are a ton of money when you can pay a small subscription for Netflix. Valiant’s ten dollar volume one trade paperbacks is good deal but most people my age have student debt or bills, low paying jobs, & are trying to save up to move out.

Plus many kids are intimidated by the comic industry and huge amount of stuff in continuity.
It’s just a lot easier, cheaper, and more accessible to use streaming services for shows and movies. Plus it’s kinda sad but my age group almost entirely hates reading. They all love superheroes but from movies and shows and a ton just make up that they read comics.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Phantom wrote:
jmatt wrote:
That's what puts me off the big two. Which probably is why they relaunch all the time.
A good comic shop owner can guide you, however many comic book shops are not comic book shops but pop culture / cult following shops.

In the UK when I am travelling and search for comic book shops, it is more of a pop culture shop. Many focusing on gaming cards, pop figures board games and Warhammer, with very few comics on the shelves.
I figure they are following the profit, which is wise.

Anyone else had this experience while travelling? Searching for comic book shops, and finding pretty much everything on the shops but very few comics.

Has mailorder / internet killed comics? Also a savy teenager can read all the comics they wish for free online. Could be readership of comics is bigger than we think, people are just accessing them for free.
I think the reality is that in less-populated areas, you're not going to have enough people that exclusively read comics, so you have to diversify your inventory to remain in business.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Brighton wrote:
slack wrote:Has anyone shared proof of that assertion, or just opinions?

I can’t say this is proof but I just turned 21 back in July and can say no one my age collects comics that I know. I have been collecting a long time but didn’t start getting lots of comics consistently until I was 16 and had a job. That’s when I tried talking to others about comics but only had one friend in high school who read them and many were ones I let him barrow. Growing up I’ve known 3 guys who also read comics, one who pirates them, one who lies a lot for some reason about how much and what he’s read, & one who rarely can buy them cause they’re expensive and mostly read ones I let him barrow. Got him into Valiant though. Sadly when I try to get people into comics they just don’t wanna start buying. They barrow some and never go to a comic store to get their own. Except this one guy name Dylan I recently got into East Of West.

I have cousins around 15 who say they don’t know anyone who reads comics. & if they do they don’t use ComiXology or anything they pirate them:/ which sucks cause it doesn’t help sales.

Comics are a lot for young people. I’m able to get a good amount cause I was lucky and stumbled onto a good job. Friends around my age (my friends ages range from 19-25 ish) don’t collect cause they are a ton of money when you can pay a small subscription for Netflix. Valiant’s ten dollar volume one trade paperbacks is good deal but most people my age have student debt or bills, low paying jobs, & are trying to save up to move out.

Plus many kids are intimidated by the comic industry and huge amount of stuff in continuity.
It’s just a lot easier, cheaper, and more accessible to use streaming services for shows and movies. Plus it’s kinda sad but my age group almost entirely hates reading. They all love superheroes but from movies and shows and a ton just make up that they read comics.
My much younger sister says comics are too expensive, so she consumes them on torrent sites.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Not_Bloodshot wrote:If I win the Powerball, I am going to offer to purchase one or two Local Comic shops so I can have their inventory and help the owners that kept the dream alive for so long. I will then build a Mega Comic store. I’ll section one part with all of the comic related arcade games from the past and present. I’ll then make another section as just a cool shop. Another section would be laid out like an elegant museum with high end pieces and original artwork. I’d also put together another part with collectible cards related to comics. Finally, I’d put together as another section as a High and low-end toy section.

The store would host events and educational seminars for local kids and adults. I’d host artists and writers to help teach kids how to be creative from different eras and promote the hell out of it regionally.

I’d lose all of my $, but I feel like I would have left a legacy of great things behind to inspire an entire generation.

There’s something to be said for the tangible processes associated with the entire genre that people lose out on.

This is what the world needs. Come on Powerball!
That sounds like the dream of Chuck Rozanski.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I really think piracy really hurts comics sales more than other media. I really think piracy concerns are overblown in almost all cases, but I feel like it's maybe understated with regards to comics. The small file size and ease of reading makes pirated comics more appealing than the legitimate product which is often not the case with other media.

Also, DC Universe and Marvel Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited are driving people away from comic stores.

I'm not sure the LCS model is going to be viable much longer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

possumgrease wrote:The kids are reading Dave pilkey and Rene telgemeir.
Yeah, go younger and graphic novels are all the rage. From Captain Underpants to Dogman and many many more. My 9 yo still reads some and has since age 7 or so.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re:

Post by TheFerg714 »

lorddunlow wrote:I really think piracy really hurts comics sales more than other media. I really think piracy concerns are overblown in almost all cases, but I feel like it's maybe understated with regards to comics. The small file size and ease of reading makes pirated comics more appealing than the legitimate product which is often not the case with other media.

Also, DC Universe and Marvel Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited are driving people away from comic stores.

I think the blame for piracy being a problem lies 100% on the comic industry for this one (which means Marvel, and DC to a lesser extent, I suppose). There is no reason why a single comic book should cost $4 on Comixology. If each issue was $1, or maybe even $2, I think we would see a huge increase in digital comic readers and a significant decrease in pirating.

jmatt
Re:

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:I'm not sure the LCS model is going to be viable much longer.
As Phantom points out, mine also carries a ton of pop culture stuff. But they also have a very large gaming community that meets there all week long.

Not_Bloodshot
Favorite character: The Goat
Favorite writer: David Micheline
Favorite artist: Davis

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I really think piracy really hurts comics sales more than other media. I really think piracy concerns are overblown in almost all cases, but I feel like it's maybe understated with regards to comics. The small file size and ease of reading makes pirated comics more appealing than the legitimate product which is often not the case with other media.

I think the blame for piracy being a problem lies 100% on the comic industry for this one (which means Marvel, and DC to a lesser extent, I suppose). There is no reason why a single comic book should cost $4 on Comixology. If each issue was $1, or maybe even $2, I think we would see a huge increase in digital comic readers and a significant decrease in pirating.
I feel like people need to seriously consider them pieces of art, literary and visual... I think it was Stan Lee on that history of comics show that said something like the greatest artists of all time would be comic artists if the were alive today, but most people don’t see it that way...

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

TheFerg714 wrote:

I think the trouble with that idea is that it would become a permanent price competition for print copies & lead to a bigger hit to print sales. I agree with you in principal - I would love to see digital copies of comic [and books for that matter] sell for less than a printed copy. I buy a lot more digital comics now than I used to, as I don't feel quite as compelled to buy & store print copies of absolutely every *new* comic I want to read. I'm still very much into buying old print back issues - especially anything that was still from a newsprint paper era. But I find the modern digital production era to be much less distinguishable as something I need to see printed on paper over seeing it on a tablet screen.

Thats not a knock or complaint about "comics these days' from an old grumpy guy - I actually love that the visual quality of the artform has evolved to where its at now. I am not a guy who feels that basic 4-colour old school comics "pop' more and are better looking. I *love* the old school look, but that doesn't make them automatically better to me - they are simpler comics from a simpler time. I do not automatically perceive modern digital colouring to be "muddy" or whatever else people say when they complain about "new" comics. I think it is awesome when well-executed by talented individuals. But coming back to the main point - I just don't feel like these modern comics look better printed on paper rather than on a tablet screen. So I am happy to buy more new comics digitally than ever before.

Even still, and to bring it further back to the initial point - I don't like paying full price via comixology. I am patient enough to wait for their regular 50-60% off sales to grab comics I am interested in. Only a rare few comics will I buy on the day of release - books I just cannot wait to dive into reading. And sometimes I buy a digital copy on day of release with full intention of buying a print copy later when I can get to my LCS.

BUT... if all digital comics were normally half the price of a print copy or so... well, that would seriously compete with the urge to travel to a store and pick up a print copy of new releases for me... and I think that would be true for a very large number of people.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

putz
Favorite character: X-0

Post by putz »

With the amount of people looking into the sustainability of a product as far as the climate is concerned, I would expect more and more people to use digital comic services. If they can read something without it being printed (thereby cutting down trees), they will.

I fully expect people to read them on-line and then if they loved it that much, order one printed.
And it is weird that the on-line one is just as costly and a printed one.
Seems the comic should come out delayed on the service versus the same day as printed ones in the stores.
That would show support for LCS versus competing with them.
Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
-- Unknown

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

putz wrote:With the amount of people looking into the sustainability of a product as far as the climate is concerned, I would expect more and more people to use digital comic services. If they can read something without it being printed (thereby cutting down trees), they will.

I fully expect people to read them on-line and then if they loved it that much, order one printed.
And it is weird that the on-line one is just as costly and a printed one.
Seems the comic should come out delayed on the service versus the same day as printed ones in the stores.
That would show support for LCS versus competing with them.
I'm sure that there must be an agreement in place to protect distributors (Diamond/LCS) that digital copies can't be sold for less than print. What's the incentive to stock new print copies if the publishers are undercutting your pricing at your customers' homes? I would think that if the Big 2 decided to cut prices on Day 1 digital you may see lots of LCSs stop buying the print copies from them and start pushing independent titles and anything else not in the digital space.

I wonder if there could be an option to have an LCS be a digital distributor, you could have one LCS on your profile and they could offer in-store promotions to digital customers. That is something I would definitely consider as a viable option for the future.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

My 2 cents...

My sons, 21 & 20. Grew up in a household full of comics, never cared for them. They love the movies (especially Marvel) anime, and video games. I rarely see teenagers at any of the 4 lcs in my area... :?
#StayValiant

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Most of the people I know that are into comic-culture are well into their 40's and in our local stores there aren't too many teens. Even at our local expos there aren't too many teens and if they are there they're dressed up more as anime/gaming characters.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

'Comic films' and 'comic comics' are basically two seperate media forms imo. Almost everyone I know my age will tell you that they love the Marvel films, but NONE of them read any marvel comics.

People just don't seem to have any desire to make the jump across media in the general sense, for whatever reason.

On the other hand, comics fans are willing to watch the movies, but this is more or less preaching to the converted as far as I'm concerned.

Not surprised to hear that younger kids love comics but interest drops out around puberty (or thereabouts?) and often doesn't rekindle later, meaning that comics readers consist of young kids and 40+ bearded adults for the most part. That's just the way it goes I think, when kids suddenly have to start studying for exams and chase the opposite sex (etc.), comics just fall by the wayside, and then as they grow through those years they develop other interests.