DMG has another massive bomb...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
DMG has another massive bomb...

Post by syzhang28 »

While we wrestle with who is to blame for how bad Valiant has become here's DMG's latest movie results.

Playmobil: The Movie (which DMG is a financier, one of the production companies and distributing in China according to wikipedia) is the fourth- worst opening ever for a pic booked in 2K-plus theaters (according to Boxoffice Mojo) at a weekend box office of $670,000.

Rotten tomatoes score is 19% and as The A.V. Club summarized, "dropping it into U.S. theaters the weekend after Thanksgiving without press screenings, giving it the authentic discount-bin appearance of a toy store going out of business."

Thank goodness they seem to have nothing to do with the bloodshot movie

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Re: DMG has another massive bomb...

Post by Oxmyx »

syzhang28 wrote: Thank goodness they seem to have nothing to do with the bloodshot movie
There's that
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Oxmyx wrote:
syzhang28 wrote: Thank goodness they seem to have nothing to do with the bloodshot movie
There's that

Yep...except splitting the Universe with Paramount and taking out Harada from Bloodshot movie.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

syzhang28 wrote:While we wrestle with who is to blame for how bad Valiant has become here's DMG's latest movie results.

Playmobil: The Movie (which DMG is a financier, one of the production companies and distributing in China according to wikipedia) is the fourth- worst opening ever for a pic booked in 2K-plus theaters (according to Boxoffice Mojo) at a weekend box office of $670,000.

Rotten tomatoes score is 19% and as The A.V. Club summarized, "dropping it into U.S. theaters the weekend after Thanksgiving without press screenings, giving it the authentic discount-bin appearance of a toy store going out of business."

Wow! I did hear about the movie, but only through word of mouth. I'm not sure it was marketed very well.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I'm not sure I feel this is directly related to Valiant if I'm honest. I know Valiant is owned by DMG, sure, but I don't know if a total bomb of a film is entirely reflective of DMG as a company. The next film they invested in might smash the box office apart, who can say? And were they responsible for marketing this film, or was that another company? Marketing is a massive part in the success of a product and if all DMG did was bankroll the film then it's not necessarily their fault that it bombed.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Shadowman99 wrote:I'm not sure I feel this is directly related to Valiant if I'm honest. I know Valiant is owned by DMG, sure, but I don't know if a total bomb of a film is entirely reflective of DMG as a company. The next film they invested in might smash the box office apart, who can say? And were they responsible for marketing this film, or was that another company? Marketing is a massive part in the success of a product and if all DMG did was bankroll the film then it's not necessarily their fault that it bombed.
I hear you but you have to admit this has become a trend for them with Transcendence, 47 Ronin, Collide and that baffling Point Break reboot. The only exception is Iron Man 3 but Marvel never worked with them again so

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Juki wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
There's that

Yep...except splitting the Universe with Paramount and taking out Harada from Bloodshot movie.
Excellent point.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

syzhang28 wrote:While we wrestle with who is to blame for how bad Valiant has become here's DMG's latest movie results.

When movies aren't screened for press, that's usually (but not always) a sign that the studio knows it's bad.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.