VALIANT NOVEMBER 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: VALIANT NOVEMBER 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES!

Post by kjjohanson »

Also, since we both agree that the LADOTH "sales were criminally low" for a quality book, that would seem to indicate that the common denominator for perceived low sales are somewhere else, don't you think?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:Also, since we both agree that the LADOTH "sales were criminally low" for a quality book, that would seem to indicate that the common denominator for perceived low sales are somewhere else, don't you think?
In terms of Roku, that was simply a counter argument to your point about finances possibly being a reason for the choice of writers they’ve decided to go with. I’m saying sales clearly isn’t a driver for current Valiant, which begs the question of where the funding comes from if DMG are so hands off?

Antos claims diversity is the main decision driver but I simply don’t believe her. IMO she’d rather virtue signal than drive Valiant to being a successful company.

As for LADOTH, loss of Valiant readers in the preceding year due to the steep decline in quality is something I’d guess at impacting sales. Compare sales for #1 launches now with when Dinesh was in charge, it appears Valiant readers have dropped significantly.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Antos claims diversity is the main decision driver but I simply don’t believe her. IMO she’d rather virtue signal than drive Valiant to being a successful company.
I assume you mean "Antos claims diversity is NOT the main decision driver…"? Otherwise what you're stating now is at odds with what you've claimed previously.

So, if it's a matter of you not believing what she stated, then you're acknowledging that it's a fabrication that she "admitted" something that you have no evidence for? This is why we can't take you seriously.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Antos claims diversity is the main decision driver but I simply don’t believe her. IMO she’d rather virtue signal than drive Valiant to being a successful company.
I assume you mean "Antos claims diversity is NOT the main decision driver…"? Otherwise what you're stating now is at odds with what you've claimed previously.

So, if it's a matter of you not believing what she stated, then you're acknowledging that it's a fabrication that she "admitted" something that you have no evidence for? This is why we can't take you seriously.
Yep that was a typo, well spotted :clap:

You (or anyone else ) don’t have to take me seriously but then how do you explain the statistical improbability of those set of writers working for Valiant in a short space of time, coupled with most of the reviews on this site of Livewire, FQ and Dr Mirage rating them as mediocre to poor?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

You (or anyone else ) don’t have to take me seriously but then how do you explain the statistical improbability of those set of writers working for Valiant in a short space of time, coupled with most of the reviews on this site of Livewire, FQ and Dr Mirage rating them as mediocre to poor?
I think you have an odd notion of the definition of "most of the reviews on this site. Since I've read Forgotten Queen in full (but have only read the first two arcs of Livewire and haven't gotten to the new Doctor Mirage mini yet), I decided to check the discussion threads for that to get a sense of people's opinions. And they're mostly either positive or neutral:

Issue 1:
DirtbagSailor: This is more interesting and overall better than what we saw in Unity when The War Monger 1st appeared.
It is also exactly what I expected it would be based on what we know of the character.
TheeBaldMoose: I too have read a few of these, and it's a darn good series!
jmatt: I gotta say I was pretty pleased with the book overall, and didn't find the portrayal of War-Monger as abrasive as I did in the Unity series. 
Dallow Spicer1: This book was ok, not great but worth a read…3.5/5
otomo: Art was really inconsistent, especially in the faces. I think I'm out on this one already.

Issue 2:
Dallow Spicer1: It was an ok issue with ok art…All that said, it’s perfectly readable, though not essential. 3.5/5

Issue 3:
kjjohanson: While it's not quite universe-shattering, the reveal at the end does make things more interesting (if it's literally the case) and will probably mean that the character will be around for the long haul.
Dallow Spicer1: This issue was an improvement from the mediocre previous issues, let’s see how it ends? 3.75/5
grendeljd: And that kind of retconning feels a little forced.
I recently read this issue, and enjoyed it quite a bit for the most part. A very fitting choice to have made her the source of Vlad’s madness and all that impaling he did - I like that tie to real-world history, it works really well here.

Issue 4:
TheeBaldMoose: Good overall book, just don't know about the finish. Kind of left me like "eh? Really?"
Dallow Spicer1: It was an ok finish…3.75/5 for this issue
3.5/5 for the series
jmatt: Just read this in two sittings. I thought it was great overall… I hear board members complain about how disjointed the books are... what could be more connected than that?
Honestly, I didn't think all that much of Warmonger during Unity... but this really surprised me. Very happy with this mini.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

kjjohanson wrote: Since you're convinced that many of the creators were hired solely as diversity hires, what would indicate that they're not diversity hires?
I'm gonna guess "being a white male".

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

If I can think of one example that encapsulates what happened with Valiant that has made us so disconnected from the books, it's Livewire.

Think of the the popularity level of the character-

Super popular debut under Dysart- 5/5
Very well handled in Unity- 4.5/5
Secret Weapons- 5/5

And here comes the break-

Harbinger Wars 2- 2/5 (being generous)
Livewire- started as a 3.5/5 and slipped down to 1/5 by issue 12, just a mess.

It's the same character, a female POC character that every one loved, now here we are. In the case of Kindt he was even responsible for her on both sides of the coin, good and bad.

It's a distinct creative approach that always fails and yet it's proponents always double down and blame the audience, just the fact that we having this discussion proves it.

This type of stink does not exist in conversations of things which don't prescribe to this ideology, you know it's a fart because you can smell it.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

GammaJosh wrote:
kjjohanson wrote: Since you're convinced that many of the creators were hired solely as diversity hires, what would indicate that they're not diversity hires?
I'm gonna guess "being a white male".
Well, that would be true of white males. The question was for those that aren't.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

hawkeyeps wrote:If I can think of one example that encapsulates what happened with Valiant that has made us so disconnected from the books, it's Livewire.

Secret Weapons- 5/5

It's the same character, a female POC character that every one loved, now here we are. In the case of Kindt he was even responsible for her on both sides of the coin, good and bad.

It's a distinct creative approach that always fails and yet it's proponents always double down and blame the audience, just the fact that we having this discussion proves it.

This type of stink does not exist in conversations of things which don't prescribe to this ideology, you know it's a fart because you can smell it.
I think what I highlighted is a hint at the source of the problem. Obviously Harbinger Wars 2 changed a great deal because of the changes at Valiant at the top. When there was sufficient time for planning out stories over a long period, that generally resulted in stories people were happier with. When the regime change happened and the boat got rocked, it was harder to right the ship as it was in motion. Bringing in a new writer who hadn't been previously involved with the company is usually going to result in a different feel for characters to the fans who were reading before the transition. I think the writer swap on Quantum in Woody resulted in a forgettable second half of that series. Of course, that doesn't get the same criticism that some are directing at other series.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

kjjohanson wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:If I can think of one example that encapsulates what happened with Valiant that has made us so disconnected from the books, it's Livewire.

Secret Weapons- 5/5

I think what I highlighted is a hint at the source of the problem. Obviously Harbinger Wars 2 changed a great deal because of the changes at Valiant at the top. When there was sufficient time for planning out stories over a long period, that generally resulted in stories people were happier with. When the regime change happened and the boat got rocked, it was harder to right the ship as it was in motion. Bringing in a new writer who hadn't been previously involved with the company is usually going to result in a different feel for characters to the fans who were reading before the transition. I think the writer swap on Quantum in Woody resulted in a forgettable second half of that series. Of course, that doesn't get the same criticism that some are directing at other series.
We also have to weigh in the cancellation of Shadowman. It shows an editorial direction and think that's what the question is. Granted that was under Illich and I think Meyers is great guy but was he great for this job? Maybe not.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

I also remember when Dysart told us on VCR that Psi-Lords was supposed to be Gen Zero in space, instead Gen Zero was scrapped and we got these no Psi-Lords which have been a huge flop.

Like duh, why would anybody do that?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

hawkeyeps wrote:I also remember when Dysart told us on VCR that Psi-Lords was supposed to be Gen Zero in space, instead Gen Zero was scrapped and we got these no Psi-Lords which have been a huge flop.

I can't speak to what Dysart was saying, but I imagine it was a completely different pitch from Van Lente's. I imagine that Valiant wants to publish titles using the existing IPs they own, even if it's radically different from how the property first appeared.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

kjjohanson wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:I also remember when Dysart told us on VCR that Psi-Lords was supposed to be Gen Zero in space, instead Gen Zero was scrapped and we got these no Psi-Lords which have been a huge flop.

I can't speak to what Dysart was saying, but I imagine it was a completely different pitch from Van Lente's. I imagine that Valiant wants to publish titles using the existing IPs they own, even if it's radically different from how the property first appeared.
VEI owned Gen Zero lock stock and barrel.

You don't listen to VCR? :cry:

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
agent_graves wrote:160 Rai 1* $3.99 Valiant 12,332 (-10%) facepalm

251 Bloodshot 3 $3.99 Valiant 6,706

290 Killers 5 $3.99 Valiant 4,702

291 Roku 2 $3.99 Valiant 4,685

306 Doctor Mirage 4 $3.99 Valiant 4,219

312 Psi-Lords 6 $3.99 Valiant 3,803 cancelled as of #8

319 Livewire 12 $3.99 Valiant 3,638 so disappointing facepalm
Let’s be honest, do any of these books deserve a bigger audience? :? Unlike LADOTH which sales were criminally low, these sales are probably about right, I wouldn’t want any of them to be the first Valiant book a new reader picked up.
With the exception of Killers, I’d say no. I really liked that mini and those characters, and look forward to seeing them again.
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

I think you have an odd notion of the definition of "most of the reviews on this site. Since I've read Forgotten Queen in full (but have only read the first two arcs of Livewire and haven't gotten to the new Doctor Mirage mini yet), I decided to check the discussion threads for that to get a sense of people's opinions. And they're mostly either positive or neutral:

Issue 1:
DirtbagSailor: This is more interesting and overall better than what we saw in Unity when The War Monger 1st appeared.
It is also exactly what I expected it would be based on what we know of the character.
jmatt: I gotta say I was pretty pleased with the book overall, and didn't find the portrayal of War-Monger as abrasive as I did in the Unity series. 
otomo: Art was really inconsistent, especially in the faces. I think I'm out on this one already.

Issue 2:
Dallow Spicer1: It was an ok issue with ok art…All that said, it’s perfectly readable, though not essential. 3.5/5

Issue 3:
kjjohanson: While it's not quite universe-shattering, the reveal at the end does make things more interesting (if it's literally the case) and will probably mean that the character will be around for the long haul.
Dallow Spicer1: This issue was an improvement from the mediocre previous issues, let’s see how it ends? 3.75/5
I recently read this issue, and enjoyed it quite a bit for the most part. A very fitting choice to have made her the source of Vlad’s madness and all that impaling he did - I like that tie to real-world history, it works really well here.

Issue 4:
TheeBaldMoose: Good overall book, just don't know about the finish. Kind of left me like "eh? Really?"
3.5/5 for the series
jmatt: Just read this in two sittings. I thought it was great overall… I hear board members complain about how disjointed the books are... what could be more connected than that?
Honestly, I didn't think all that much of Warmonger during Unity... but this really surprised me. Very happy with this mini.
Cool, do the same with Livewire.

Let’s also remember the diversity thing is only one of the issues blighting Valiant in 2019. Poor creative choices across the board have gotten us to this point, FVL on Psi Lords, the debacle of Rising Spirit and so on...

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

hawkeyeps wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

VEI owned Gen Zero lock stock and barrel.

You don't listen to VCR? :cry:
I understand that they own the IPs. What I'm saying is that they may have gone with a pitch for "Psi-Lords" with completely different characters because they want to make use of the existing IPs that existing fans are aware of, even if it's totally different.

I listed to VCR on occasion, but since it's been a while since I've been completely caught up, I tend to not listen to new reviews/discussions at the moment.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Issue 3:

Issue 4:
3.5/5 for the series

Let’s also remember the diversity thing is only one of the issues blighting Valiant in 2019. Poor creative choices across the board have gotten us to this point, FVL on Psi Lords, the debacle of Rising Spirit and so on...
That diversity is a blight is not a universal opinion. Yet you seem so focused on that.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Issue 3:

Issue 4:
3.5/5 for the series

That diversity is a blight is not a universal opinion. Yet you seem so focused on that.
I’m not any more focused on that than the other poor decisions Valiant has made in the last 12 months plus. No one ever debates how bad FVL Psi Lords or Bloodshot Rising Spirit was which I’ve pointed out numerous times, however it’s seems to trigger virtue signallers as soon as Heather’s diversity hiring is pointed out, hence the back and forths.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

One factor that I think is relevant when comparing the Dinesh era to the DMG era that I've noticed reading this thread: the books that people see as not successful during the Dinesh era are all low stakes or second tier books (Dead Drop, War Mother in late Unity issues, arguably Quantum and Woody which I really love etc) but during the DMG era its basically everything but including the big guns and introductions of characters (Bloodshot, Psi-Lords, Harbinger Wars 2). I don't think that's a coincidence. Dinesh seemed to be good about making sure the stuff that really mattered worked and experimenting with the rest. The story of Ales Kot getting a test on Dead Drop before Harbinger (which ultimately they never let him to write) for instance

GammaJosh
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

You know, it'd be really awesome to log on to this board and not see Breitbart talking points one day. Can I get through a thread without having to see "SJW", "triggered", "diversity hire", or "virtue signalling"? Stop focusing on everyone's race/gender/sexuality and stop bringing politics to a comic book message board. We get it already: "The left ruined Valiant." No need to repeat it ad nauseam.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

GammaJosh wrote:You know, it'd be really awesome to log on to this board and not see Breitbart talking points one day. Can I get through a thread without having to see "SJW", "triggered", "diversity hire", or "virtue signalling"? Stop focusing on everyone's race/gender/sexuality and stop bringing politics to a comic book message board. We get it already: "The left ruined Valiant." No need to repeat it ad nauseam.
Ok let’s just give up then and let the company many people have followed and supported for years go down the pan. No one speak out against ‘progressive ‘ politics, just accept that it’s inevitable, we get it already!

I can’t wait until XO Manowar starts announcing his preferred pronouns each issue!

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Hot off the presses- https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... xFMeeDj3qI

XO is coming back in March brought to you by...wait for it Dallow...Heather Antos! facepalm

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:Hot off the presses- https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... xFMeeDj3qI

XO is coming back in March brought to you by...wait for it Dallow...Heather Antos! facepalm
Nnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! facepalm

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:Hot off the presses- https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... xFMeeDj3qI

Art looks good though :hm:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Nnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! facepalm
Editor Heather Antos added, “It was important to Valiant for this new X-O series to really bring a fresh and modern superhero take — Aric of Dacia teamed with the powerful sentient armor of Shanhara is a staple part of Valiant continuity — and who better to screw all that up but me? HA! Take that Dallow!” :wink: