VALIANT NOVEMBER 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
VALIANT NOVEMBER 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES!

Post by agent_graves »

160 Rai 1* $3.99 Valiant 12,332 (-10%) facepalm

251 Bloodshot 3 $3.99 Valiant 6,706

290 Killers 5 $3.99 Valiant 4,702

291 Roku 2 $3.99 Valiant 4,685

306 Doctor Mirage 4 $3.99 Valiant 4,219

312 Psi-Lords 6 $3.99 Valiant 3,803 cancelled as of #8

319 Livewire 12 $3.99 Valiant 3,638 so disappointing facepalm
#StayValiant

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Re: VALIANT NOVEMBER 2019 COMIC BOOK SALES!

Post by hawkeyeps »

Okay I'll say it...DOOM!

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

And Gloom!!! :cry:
#StayValiant

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I wanna be the first person to declare doom and gloom on one of these threads one day. It's practically a badge of honour on this board to have done that at least once I'm sure :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

battlepark
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: uh...All of them!

Post by battlepark »

wow, Bloodshot...
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

facepalm

Remember when Dinesh & co would put out a new ongoing and there would be an event feeling. Here are some comparisons just for dooms and glooms

Nov 2012. Shadowman 1. 25,048
Nov 2013. Unity 1. 60,003
Nov 2014. No new ongoing this month.
Nov 2015. Wrath of the Eternal Warrior 1. 32,528 (remember when this felt small?)
Nov 2016. Harbinger Renegade 1. 33,197
Nov 2017. X-O Manowar. 67,758

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Upset.

At Rai numbers. Really surprised at the low numbers ~ I really like it.
My first knowledge of PSI lords finishing early at 8. Glad in a way, saves me money as not enjoying it.
Wonder if PSI lords 8 will be lowest print run ever for valiant.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

info added to original post
syzhang28 wrote:facepalm

Remember when Dinesh & co would put out a new ongoing and there would be an event feeling. Here are some comparisons just for dooms and glooms

Nov 2012. Shadowman 1. 25,048
Nov 2013. Unity 1. 60,003
Nov 2014. Eternal Warrior: Days of Steel 1. 6,785 - there was a number #1, it was just a pitiful mini, but no real push or variants (sound familiar)
Nov 2015. Wrath of the Eternal Warrior 1. 32,528 (remember when this felt small?)
Nov 2016. Harbinger Renegade 1. 33,197
Nov 2017. Ninja-K 1. 25,505 - X-O was March 2017, not November
Nov 2018. Bloodshot: Rising Spirit 1. 34,692
Nov 2019. Rai 1. 12,332
Yes, but so much of VEI's historical #1 sales were artificially inflated by a deluge of variants, which DMG (for better or worse) doesn't believe in.

Looking at your selection's second issues numbers helps show the reality of VEI titles over the years has generally been between 10-20k.

Dec 2012: Shadowman 2 - 16,917 (-32%)
Dec 2013: Unity 2 - 18,845 (-69%)
Dec 2014: EW: Days of Steel 2 - 5,760 (-15%)
Dec 2015: Wrath of the EW 2 - 10,364 (-68%)
Dec 2016: Harbinger Renegade 2 - 10,177 (-69%)
Dec 2017: Ninja-K 2 - 10,396 (-59%)
Dec 2018: Bloodshot: Rising Spirit 2 - 6,963 (-80%)

So, I'm guessing Rai will be more in the 35-50% drop range than the 65-80% drop these big variant books were, putting it somewhere around 7,000. That's a bit rough for certain compared to the hey day of the first couple years, but not THAT far off of where things were on lower tier books the last 4 or 5 years.

Dec 2019: Rai 2 - 7,000 (-43%)
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

"O ask Robert how he feels about the proof is in the pudding numbers?
O ya were good were in a position to make what ever we want facepalm
I Miss the good old days.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Listen to the Robert Meyers interview with Get Valiant then look again at these woeful numbers. Look at those Bloodshot numbers with a movie just around the corner, that’s absolutely dire.
His strategy so far has blatantly failed. Telling us that Dr Mirage is ‘Mags Vissagios best work’, I’m thinking what does that even mean!? :? facepalm Launching Dr Tomorrow with a first time writer just so he can give it to a kid if he gets asked at a convention seems like a luxury we don’t have when the numbers are so low!

I totally get that they need to attract new readers, but his strategy has lost existing readers!. Stop chasing the non comic buying woke crowd and at least re-build the readership to what it was 2 years ago which I know wasn’t huge but it was better than this. Experiment with one book with diversity hires or kid books or first time writers, not across the majority of books.

IMO, DMG need to start paying attention to the publishing arm and bring someone in who can make better decisions.

Over to you KJ :P

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

agent_graves wrote:160 Rai 1* $3.99 Valiant 12,332 (-10%) facepalm

251 Bloodshot 3 $3.99 Valiant 6,706

290 Killers 5 $3.99 Valiant 4,702

291 Roku 2 $3.99 Valiant 4,685

306 Doctor Mirage 4 $3.99 Valiant 4,219

312 Psi-Lords 6 $3.99 Valiant 3,803 cancelled as of #8

319 Livewire 12 $3.99 Valiant 3,638 so disappointing facepalm
Let’s be honest, do any of these books deserve a bigger audience? :? Unlike LADOTH which sales were criminally low, these sales are probably about right, I wouldn’t want any of them to be the first Valiant book a new reader picked up.

reddog
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: chu chuck
Favorite title: solar
Favorite writer: shooter
Favorite artist: lapham

Post by reddog »

i know it doesnt help and probably led to a comic empire collapse but turok 1 "sold" 1.5 MILLION

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

reddog wrote:i know it doesnt help and probably led to a comic empire collapse but turok 1 "sold" 1.5 MILLION
At least 5 other books "sold" more copies than Turok #1 in 1993 and they're still worthless today. Turok #1 may have been part of the problem, but Adventures of Superman #500 (white bag) was a much, much bigger culprit.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

greg wrote:
reddog wrote:i know it doesnt help and probably led to a comic empire collapse but turok 1 "sold" 1.5 MILLION
At least 5 other books "sold" more copies than Turok #1 in 1993 and they're still worthless today. Turok #1 may have been part of the problem, but Adventures of Superman #500 (white bag) was a much, much bigger culprit.
It's crazy that the gold editions of VH1 books had a similar print run to today's Valiant books (more, once you consider the multiple covers of all the new offerings), but still sell for much more on the secondary market.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Listen to the Robert Meyers interview with Get Valiant then look again at these woeful numbers. Look at those Bloodshot numbers with a movie just around the corner, that’s absolutely dire.
His strategy so far has blatantly failed. Telling us that Dr Mirage is ‘Mags Vissagios best work’, I’m thinking what does that even mean!? :? facepalm Launching Dr Tomorrow with a first time writer just so he can give it to a kid if he gets asked at a convention seems like a luxury we don’t have when the numbers are so low!

I totally get that they need to attract new readers, but his strategy has lost existing readers!. Stop chasing the non comic buying woke crowd and at least re-build the readership to what it was 2 years ago which I know wasn’t huge but it was better than this. Experiment with one book with diversity hires or kid books or first time writers, not across the majority of books.

IMO, DMG need to start paying attention to the publishing arm and bring someone in who can make better decisions.

Since you're convinced that many of the creators were hired solely as diversity hires, what would indicate that they're not diversity hires?

Also, you don't know what sort of numbers are needed for profitability, and how many books they sell digitally. I don't think it's Myers's strategy (whatever you perceive it to be, or what it actually is) that lost readers; it's the departure of so many of the people that we grew to know and love.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Listen to the Robert Meyers interview with Get Valiant then look again at these woeful numbers. Look at those Bloodshot numbers with a movie just around the corner, that’s absolutely dire.

Since you're convinced that many of the creators were hired solely as diversity hires, what would indicate that they're not diversity hires?

Also, you don't know what sort of numbers are needed for profitability, and how many books they sell digitally. I don't think it's Myers's strategy (whatever you perceive it to be, or what it actually is) that lost readers; it's the departure of so many of the people that we grew to know and love.
C’mon KJ, the books have mostly been garbage, you know that! If the quality of the books remained high after the new regime took over then sales would not have nose dived so badly. Sure, some people left out of protest but more stopped buying as the quality of the books became secondary.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

C’mon KJ, the books have mostly been garbage, you know that! If the quality of the books remained high after the new regime took over then sales would not have nose dived so badly. Sure, some people left out of protest but more stopped buying as the quality of the books became secondary.
You didn't answer my question.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

I don't know that they are diversity hires, per se, but that the people making the hiring decisions are looking for creators who value cultivating diversity within the characters more than quality story telling. At least one of the creators that they have hired, Mags Visaggio, is better known for her personal life and the way she lives than the quality comics she writes - I don't think she was hired for diversity, but for name recognition and headlines, none of which come from being good at her craft that she was hired for. The same could be argued for Heather Antos as an editor - she is known more for her involvement in social media than her quality of work as an editor. They aren't hiring writers or creators - they are hiring personalities who have ideas about what they want the characters to be, not quality stories.

I don't have a problem with people who live non-traditional lifestyles writing books I like. I bet Lilah Sturges could write some good stories for more than a few Valiant characters. I bet she'd do a really good A&A. I have a problem with Valiant choosing mediocrity and sacrificing better story writing, better art and better characters for any agenda.

Is the output of Valiant worse now than it was before the DMG buyout? I don't think I have seen a single person argue that it has gotten better. Few would say that the average overall output of Valiant is good, with monthly rankings of most books being deemed bad with only a couple of exceptions lauded as "okay" or "readable". That means that the creators aren't doing as good a work as those before the buyout, and that means that the hiring decisions are inferior to those where Dino was involved. Where does the buck stop? The EiC? DMG itself?

TL;DR It is not the creators that are diversity hires; it is that they are personalities hired for diversity creations!

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

I didn’t understand the question...what would indicate they’re *not* a diversity hire? Well if that’s the question then ...

A) the books would have been well written and interesting books
B) they were established writers with a proven track record of sales
C) they didn’t all appear at once within 12 months (a massive statistical improbability)
D) Heather Antos wouldn’t have openly admitted to having a diversity agenda

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohnson wrote: You didn't answer my question.
C) they didn’t all appear at once within 12 months (a massive statistical improbability)
+1 :clap:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Listened to another Robert Meyers interview, this time with Valiant Central. He talks about having absolute trust in his editors on the decisions they make on hiring talent but what I hear is someone not taking responsibility for the creative direction of the company! In his position you have to have a vision for where the universe is going and not abdicate responsibility to others who make hiring decisions on writers and artists on a whim.

Again he talks about not every book being for all fans but having one book for all readers, based on sales numbers this just isn’t working and the established readership base are losing interest in the company and not being replaced by whoever he thinks is out there.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I'm actually impressed with Rai's numbers. I would've thought it was going to be on par with Diggle's Shadowman orders....
I might pick up the Rai books today if I find them out and about.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

I didn’t understand the question...what would indicate they’re *not* a diversity hire? Well if that’s the question then ...

A) is a matter of opinion. I'm still catching up with my Valiant reading, but I haven't read anything that's significantly low-quality.
B) I don't think any of these creators are first-timers. And they all have credits with at least one of the big 2.
C) This is hyperbole. Also, you don't know what financial restraints they may have with hiring creators. I imagine since they have small-publisher sales numbers, they can't spend the money that would likely be necessary to draw the biggest names.
D) Did I miss where Antos "admitted" this? The only thing that I recall was the comics panel that I attended where she expressed that it WASN'T the main factor driving the decision. Are you admitting that you purposely ignored the facts?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

A) is a matter of opinion. I'm still catching up with my Valiant reading, but I haven't read anything that's significantly low-quality.
B) I don't think any of these creators are first-timers. And they all have credits with at least one of the big 2.
C) This is hyperbole. Also, you don't know what financial restraints they may have with hiring creators. I imagine since they have small-publisher sales numbers, they can't spend the money that would likely be necessary to draw the biggest names.
D) Did I miss where Antos "admitted" this? The only thing that I recall was the comics panel that I attended where she expressed that it WASN'T the main factor driving the decision. Are you admitting that you purposely ignored the facts?
A) General consensus from this board is that the books are mostly dire. I’m sure you’ll love them when you eventually read them ...problem is there’s not enough of ‘you’ to keep these books selling!
B) I didn’t say they were first timers I said they didn’t have proven track records ...and yes they’ve had work published by the big 2...for the same reason they’ve had work published by Valiant.
C) If they have got financial constraints then why would sales but such a low priority. If a business needed money to finance better creators would you choose Forgotten Queen and Roku to bring the money in?! :o
D) If diversity wasn’t her driving factor then what was?? :?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

A) General consensus from this board is that the books are mostly dire. I’m sure you’ll love them when you eventually read them ...problem is there’s not enough of ‘you’ to keep these books selling!
Opinions will vary
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: B) I didn’t say they were first timers I said they didn’t have proven track records ...and yes they’ve had work published by the big 2...for the same reason they’ve had work published by Valiant.
[citation needed]
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: C) If they have got financial constraints then why would sales but such a low priority. If a business needed money to finance better creators would you choose Forgotten Queen and Roku to bring the money in?! :o
I enjoyed Forgotten Queen. Regarding Roku, since you're convinced that Valiant is all about diversity hires and "chasing the non comic buying woke crowd," now, can you explain to me where hiring white guy Cullen Bunn falls into this strategy?
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: D) If diversity wasn’t her driving factor then what was?? :?
Maybe she's hiring people that she thinks will produce good material? Also, since you claimed that Antos "openly admitted to having a diversity agenda" can you support this statement with a source of that information?