Eternal Warrior, Xaran, & his kids

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brighton
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2015 thanks to ComicBento
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Alex Ross
Eternal Warrior, Xaran, & his kids

Post by Brighton »

Hey, this is my first time posting since joining this page a few years ago. But I have a question & don’t know anyone to ask. Hope this hasn’t already been asked.
Ever since reading Eternal Warrior Sword of The Wild by Greg Pak & Wrath of The Eternal Warrior by Venditti I’ve been confused. In Wrath the Dying One mentions how he learns Gilad’s children do not share his immortal ability after kidnapping his first son, Kalam.
So why is it Xaran, Gilad’s daughter, is shown the same age in Ancient Mesopotamia & then in present day with Gilad in the Eternal Warrior run by Pak? How come she is immortal too? Whereas all his other children have died and gone to that heaven like place in Wrath of The Eternal Warrior.
& does anyone know what happened to her? One minute she’s killing the gods with her father & finding out her brother she killed in ancient Mesopotamia & Gilad’s son is now a servant of Nergal & then they’re gone. I am pretty sure Gilad even references this book in Unity or Book of Death that he once killed all the gods. What happened to Xaran & her brother Mitu? Why did Mitu not go to that heaven like place shown Wrath of The Eternal Warrior, why is Xaran Gilad’s only immortal child, & do we ever learn where she goes after that story? Does Gilad just leave her go do Unity stuff or what? Does she die? Did they even complete their mission or confront Mitu in the underworld? Why would Gilad who tells lots of stories never mention his lost son? Or not save him/confront him? Does he ever figure out where he is or stop Nergal or do anything with all of that? & for that matter what happens to Gilad’s granddaughter who’s shown in volume 2 of the Greg Pak run when he’s the Eternal Emperor two thousand years from now? She’s not in 4001 with him or seen when Ivar gets old Gilad while time traveling. I’m mainly confused why it’s stated his kids aren’t immortal but he seems to have one or two who are or never went o his family’s heaven like home and are never seen from or talked about by him again. Is it just a continuity error? The Greg Pak stuff is pretty old now.
Sorry this was so long. Kind of a few questions. I’m just very confused where his two older looking kids fall into the rest of the family. Is his granddaughter around? I also wonder if she’d join their “heaven”.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Re: Eternal Warrior, Xaran, & his kids

Post by Oxmyx »

Wow no one has answered you (maybe because it is 3:30 am EST)

Im not especially qualified but your questions bother me also, especially as the Wild Sword run conflicts pretty dramatically and directly with ArcherArmstrong Vol 2: Wrath of the EW

Have you read AA Vol 2?

I strongly suggest you do. Personally because i like the AA take on the EW and Geomancer better AND it seems to flow with later Geomancer stuff (like The Valiant TPB) I choose that continuity over Wild Sword. Sorry Pak.

The way I look at it, and please disagree with me guys if you feel the urge, but the way it looks to me, you have to pick one or the other.

Wild Sword EW has rebelled against the Geomancer in the 1800s and has fought The Earth.
AA Wrath has EW a good servant of the Geomancer and The Earth.

To answer your question, IN MY HEAD, Xaran doesn't exist in the Prime VU continuity. (Does anyone say Prime VU? I like that terminology)

Interestingly I've heard many people say that the big reveal of Gilad having a sister (was that in Forgotten Queen) clearly would have been better played as a reintroduction of Xaran to the stories.

Further interestingly, I'm glad you posted this at a time when people on this board are so negative about the state of continuity in the new VU books put out by DMG Valiant.
People need to be reminded continuity under Dinesh wasn't all roses.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Brighton

Post by Brighton »

Thanks for the info! And yes I have read all of the original A & A run but only the first two volumes of Adventures of A & A, although it’s been quite a while. And I have to say I agree. It seems the Greg Pak stuff just can’t be canon with what’s going in A&A, The Valiant, & current Eternal Warrior canon.

I don’t love the DMG stuff if I’m being honest I definitely enjoy Valiant more when Dinesh was in charge but I do agree with where it’s going now some of us might have rose colored glasses on.

And I actually had the same thought, if Forgotten Queen was Gilad’s daughter I think it would’ve been a perfect story to dive into some past Valiant events and explain what happened to her. Would of made more sense to me than her being The Immortal Brothers sister, & they could’ve used the story to perhaps have her go on an adventure facing off against her now evil brother. And have a great heroes redemption arc where she redeems herself for unjustly slitting her brother’s throat. & giving Gilad & her closure on that adventure, tying up the unfinished Pak run & maybe showing them kill some more gods & show how Gilad goes back to being a devoted protector of the Geomancer & Earth.

Also, I hope you see this. I haven’t fully figured out the workings of this sight so I don’t know how to tag you in my reply or reply to your comment directly.
& sorry I’m not sure on Turok:/

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Brighton wrote:Thanks for the info! And yes I have read all of the original A & A run but only the first two volumes of Adventures of A & A,

Also, I hope you see this. I haven’t fully figured out the workings of this sight so I don’t know how to tag you in my reply or reply to your comment directly.
& sorry I’m not sure on Turok:/
Yes I did see this. Traffic on this board isn't so heavy to have a high risk of losing a conversation. But to give you some insight I don't think I you can tag people per see.
(I could be wrong. Can someone confirm? The best you can do is quote them and know the recent activity from a post shows up
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

I'm at work...so quick replies

Remember what I said about not being especially qualified to reply to you? Haha, you've read more than me.

Forgotten Queen is far ahead of my reading order. I just recently caught up to THE VALIANT TPB

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Oh and about the Turok thing. Thanks for answering but the question wasn't directed at you. It's just my signature, like a lot of people add for fun and flavor. A lot of times it's a famous quote.

My favorite so far has been "What would you do with a million dollars, besides bang two chicks at the same time. The answer: Nothing, absolutely nothing."

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I think that at the time of the Greg Pak run on EW, there was an editorial clash with some of his plot ideas for the title after it got rolling. It had an impact on the direction of that book, and subsequently some of the continuity that was beginning to be established in those two story arcs. The second story arc set in the future was, in particular, significantly altered - and I think the book was cancelled prematurely at the end of that arc as well, just to avoid publishing whatever ideas Pak had in mind at the time. And we are left with a bit of continuity error because of it.

I would still like to see someone else pick up a few of those threads and do something with them in a new EW book too.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brighton

Post by Brighton »

Oxmyx wrote:Oh and about the Turok thing. Thanks for answering but the question wasn't directed at you. It's just my signature, like a lot of people add for fun and flavor. A lot of times it's a famous quote.

My favorite so far has been "What would you do with a million dollars, besides bang two chicks at the same time. The answer: Nothing, absolutely nothing."

Ooh haha I didn’t realize. I figured it was just thrown on the end of your reply lol. But good to know! I’ll have to give myself one when I think of something good. I agree that’s a very funny one mentioned :^{D

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Brighton wrote: Ooh haha I didn’t realize. I agree that’s a very funny one mentioned :^{D
Yes it was funny but it could have happened to anyone their first time posting.

Back to EW a senior editor at Valiant made an interview on a podcast and offhandedly mentioned "the big four characters" of today's Valiant. I posted to this board a question about what four might he mean.

EW should by all rights be one of the four but very possibly not considering his publishing history in modern Valiant. I hope there's still hope

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Best I can reconcile the disparate continuity is that Gilad has gone in and out of service to the Earth/Geomancer over time. He gets upset and abandons his post, ages (albeit slowly), then returns. Like Michael Corleone.

Xaran, I believe, was recruited as a fill in for Gilad as the Fist & Steel during those times he dropped out. Hence her long lifespan as the Earth’s spare tire.

The son who served the god of death is never mentioned again, despite showing the various children in Gilad’s afterlife and is a continued loose end.

I haven’t read Forgotten Queen, but if she’s an Eternal Sister that’s just *SQUEE* dumb.

I thought Pak had some good ideas for Gilad and I’m not sure why VEI scrubbed them.

I agree it’s good to remember it wasn’t all roses under Dino. EW was mostly a disaster until Venditti stepped in. Shadowman still hasn’t recovered. Dead Drop existed. Unity was an underwhelming grab at a marketable trademark. Potato Car existed. Bloodshot was all over the place outside of Lemires run. Delinquents was a thing.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

BugsySig wrote:Best I can reconcile the disparate continuity is that Gilad has gone in and out of ...
Wow when I read your post I started to anticipate what you were gonna say and thought you were gonna say Gilad went in and out of TIME. With Ivar. I thought it was a really brilliant fix, but that's not what you said. So I'll say it.

What if we suppose that when Gilad killed the Earth Goddess (is that a good identifier?) he really screwed things up and sometime after 4001 he asks Ivar for help going back to fix things.

Also, could someone who has read Forgotten Queen clear up the sister thing?