Visitor #1 broke one of shooters main rules for pro comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
Visitor #1 broke one of shooters main rules for pro comics

Post by valiantdude »

Read it today... basic ..
But noticed it broke one of Jim's main rules of pro comics... do u know what it is?

syzhang28
Re: Visitor #1 broke one of shooters main rules for pro comi

Post by syzhang28 »

Don't make bad comics?

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Why not post this in the 'Published Issues Discussion' section?

I liked it. It didn't blow me away, but I thought it was good.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

C'mon nobody guessed the rule?... I'll give u a hint, the same rule was broken in XO#1 2012..

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

TheFerg714 wrote:Why not post this in the 'Published Issues Discussion' section?

I liked it. It didn't blow me away, but I thought it was good.
Personally, I'm curious what this is about, and as it relates to both Shooter Valiant and DMG Valiant, I'm game.

I didn't interpret the original post suggesting it was either good or bad as a comic. Breaking rules can be either a good thing or a bad thing, I guess.

On a tangent, the only Shooter "rule" I can remember right now is that superheros would not fly with arms to the front, a la Superman. And I didn't see the Visitor fly (unless you count the Zipline)
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

That's interesting but nope...I guess I've read too many shooter interviews... haha.. how bout a contest!

I will send a stack of valiant comics (vh1) like 20-30 randoms with maybe some defiant in there, no repeats.. to the person that gets the answer by 12/22/19 1pm Pacific...
I gave you a clue.... GO!!!

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

Dude, just say it and quit wasting people's time. Nobody seems to care about guessing what you want them to say.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Wikipedia wrote:While Marvel editor-in-chief in 1982, Jim Shooter detailed what he considered the necessary qualities for a good comic book story:

The characters must be introduced.

Their situation must be established.

The conflict must be introduced.

Suspense must be built.

A climax must be reached.

A resolution must be achieved.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

valiantdude wrote:That's interesting but nope...I guess I've read too many shooter interviews... haha.. how bout a contest!

I will send a stack of valiant comics (vh1) like 20-30 randoms with maybe some defiant in there, no repeats.. to the person that gets the answer by 12/22/19 1pm Pacific...
Don't ruin your own thread, brother. Just have the discussion... ;) :thumb:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

IMJ wrote:
valiantdude wrote:That's interesting but nope...I guess I've read too many shooter interviews... haha.. how bout a contest!

Don't ruin your own thread, brother. Just have the discussion... ;) :thumb:
+1

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Haven't read Visitor 1 yet.

But I will guess,

Xo was presented in Armor in XO 1 on the cover, however not in the comic book in Armor (from memory).
Thus giving away part of a future issues story (that had not been printed).
I have xo trade in bedroom, but wife still asleep, pretty sure he doesn't get armor to issue 2.

Without reading Visitor 1 (not going to illegally look at it online), was cover presenting something that does not happen in issue 1, thus presenting details that give away contents of issue 2.

So leading on (maybe a stretch) from Gregs Wiki link of Shooters rule ~ Charactors must be introduced / climax must be reached. Xo charactor was introduced (but not in armor) and climax must be reached (well cover gave away climax of the following issue).

Wish I have picked up the Visitor 1 yesterday now.

Pure speculation, not guessing to get the books, just thinking out loud ~ you got my interest with this thread.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

I don't think he's talking about the mask because that's just a disguise but the two guns as the Visitor is neither shown with a gun nor is there any shooting involving him. In other words, the cover may suggest there will be guns and a whole lot of shooting but then the story is something else entirely.

As for all the other rules Greg listed above: They have not been broken (yet) and there's four more issues to go anyway.

Interesting thread though. I like guessing games.

Sunlight on Snow

Here's another puzzle? Find the error on page 1!

Small hint (from the Pre-Order Edition): "Every street is choked with traffic." :lol:

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

All right phantom!.. close enough you win... PM me an address!
Shooter said that if a character appears on the cover in costume but is not in costume at all in the issue it is a rip off and you are a liar.
He said it was one of his main rules of comics, and damn good memory there Phantom

Sunlight on Snow

valiantdude wrote:All right phantom!.. close enough you win... PM me an address!
Shooter said that if a character appears on the cover in costume but is not in costume at all in the issue it is a rip off and you are a liar.
He said it was one of his main rules of comics, and damn good memory there Phantom
There are at least two panels where (parts of ) the costume can be seen and as a matter of fact it can be assumed the character is always wearing his/her costume. It's the mask only that's constantly covered by the hood.

This is not breaking the rule.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

I dont agree... you never see the costumes character in the entire issue even though it's on the cover.. phantom wins!

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
valiantdude wrote:All right phantom!.. close enough you win... PM me an address!
There are at least two panels where (parts of ) the costume can be seen and as a matter of fact it can be assumed the character is always wearing his/her costume. It's the mask only that's constantly covered by the hood.

This is not breaking the rule.
It seems to me that the most important thing about the costume is the solitary shining "eye" and unless that's visible I agree with the original post. But, I think a good case can also be made for your argument.

This exact issue really bugged me about VEI XO first arc, the covers being so stories without matching the interior at all.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

No need for the comics, just enjoyed participating.
Give the books to a kid for Christmas.!
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

In that case, there are quite a few books that break this rule, especially with all of the variant covers. Fun fact: Doctor Mirage did not appear on the cover of her first appearance, and did not appear in the story of the issue with her first cover appearance. The first issue of her first mini is the first book on which she's on the cover and in the story.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

kjjohanson wrote:
In that case, there are quite a few books that break this rule, especially with all of the variant covers. Fun fact: Doctor Mirage did not appear on the cover of her first appearance, and did not appear in the story of the issue with her first cover appearance. The first issue of her first mini is the first book on which she's on the cover and in the story.
I just remembered...when I was reading Archer and Armstrong I noted that every single cover had Archer using arrows...but almost never in the books! I don't remember but I think it was like two or three TPBs before he did.

Dunno why, but I let that REALLY annoy me.

battlepark
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: uh...All of them!

Post by battlepark »

didn't Shadowman get his costume in issue #2 but he was in costume on the cover of issue #1?
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Actually cover matches what happens in #1 , except for the shadowman logo, it's a little grey area, but not a clear violation

mateo107
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

Oxmyx wrote:I just remembered...when I was reading Archer and Armstrong I noted that every single cover had Archer using arrows...but almost never in the books! I don't remember but I think it was like two or three TPBs before he did.
He took Mary Maria's crossbow in issue #3 and was already using it in the next issue. I think Archer at least has been shown using arrows more frequently than X-O using his sword, even though it's on almost every cover.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

mateo107 wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:I just remembered...when I was reading Archer and Armstrong I noted that every single cover had Archer using arrows...but almost never in the books! I don't remember but I think it was like two or three TPBs before he did.
He took Mary Maria's crossbow in issue #3 and was already using it in the next issue. I think Archer at least has been shown using arrows more frequently than X-O using his sword, even though it's on almost every cover.
The bottom line is that covers need to be visually dynamic, even if the scenes they represent don't occur in the book they're featured on. Especially with these days of decompressed storytelling, it would probably be difficult to produce interesting representative covers for every issue. This goes especially for small companies like Valiant, that have multiple covers for every issue. Often, there are extra covers in inventory for the company to use. Let's keep in mind too that for artists, what I assume is a decent amount of their income comes from the sale of original art, and you're not going to be able to charge the hundreds that covers usually command for a lackluster scene that depicts the story.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Has Bloodshot used a sword in a book yet? He frequently has one on covers. :?