VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT March 2020 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT March 2020 Solicitations

Post by TheFerg714 »

https://www.newsarama.com/48342-valiant ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

X-O Manowar #1 by Dennis Hallum and Emilio Laiso
Doctor Tomorrow #2 (of 5)
Bloodshot #7
Quantum & Woody #3 (of 4, now a mini-series, apparently)
The Visitor #4 (of 6)
Rai #5

Thoughts?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT March 2020 Solicitations

Post by nycjadie »

X-O is the only one I’m mildly interested in. I’m not jumping ship, but quality is not great.

I saw a documentary on Chris Claremont yesterday, who made X-Men the most popular comic franchise of the day. He said what readers want are characters and character development. He had numerous plot points that wouldn’t play out for years. Dinesh and Warren and company understood this. I don’t think current editorial does, or they are constrained. You can’t do that with mini-series and 2nd and 3rd tier characters popping up and taking the flagship titles off course.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

TheFerg714 wrote:Quantum & Woody #3 (of 4, now a mini-series, apparently)

Thoughts?
If this is not a mistake (and it looks like it's not) they're really starting to *SQUEE* me off now, too.

This is very disappointing.

WTF!

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Am I the only one that's actually happy and optimistic about these solicitations? We've now got three tentpole ongoings going on at the same time, The Visitor (which seemed to be well received), Dr. Tomorrow (which, at the very least, looks unique), and Q&W (which has a legit creative team imo).
Sunlight on Snow wrote:

Thoughts?
If this is not a mistake (and it looks like it's not) they're really starting to *SQUEE* me off now, too.

WTF!
According to some fans on Facebook, it was apparently always solicited as a mini-series, from the beginning, in Diamond's Previews. Although this month it switched from 5 issues to 4. Evidently the Newsarama solicitations were just wrong. :?
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:20:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

TheFerg714 wrote:Am I the only one that's actually happy and optimistic about these solicitations? We've now got three tentpole ongoings going on at the same time, The Visitor (which seemed to be well received), Dr. Tomorrow (which, at the very least, looks unique), and Q&W (which has a legit creative team imo).

X-O Manowar #1 by Dennis Hallum and Emilio Laiso
Doctor Tomorrow #2 (of 5)
Bloodshot #7
Quantum & Woody #3 (of 4, now a mini-series, apparently)
The Visitor #4 (of 6)
Rai #5
Sunlight on Snow wrote:

Thoughts?

WTF!
According to some fans on Facebook, it was apparently always solicited as a mini-series, from the beginning, in Diamond's Previews. Although this month it switched from 5 issues to 4. Evidently the Newsarama solicitations were just wrong. :?
Nope, you're not alone on this one :high-five:

Looks a good line up to me, feels like a return to 2014 :D XO, Rai, Bloodshot, Q+W, what's not to like? And I haven't checked out Visitor yet but I'm hopeful of that title, so I'm feeling happily pseudo-nostalgic about March 2020 :D

I do wish we could reduce the number of minis hitting the shelves though. Glad to see XO noted simply as "#1", which suggests that VEI is happy to let the comic run its course for the time being, so we can hope for another 50 issue run, but whether or not we'll get one... Seems unlikely. Especially as it's written by a guy called 'Hopeless'. I mean seriously, how does this guy get hired? :|
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Sunlight on Snow

TheFerg714 wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:

Thoughts?

WTF!
Dang! I like Q&W and Hastings really seems to be a good fit. I was looking forward to getting 12 solid issues.

I'm not sold on the creative team for XO. Feels like a huge downgrade.

The rest is okay. I like Rai, Bloodshot, and the Visitor. DocTom sounds intriguing, too.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

X-O really does feel like a huge downgrade. We went from this

to this

Sunlight on Snow

XO -> Venditti > Kindt > Hopeless > facepalm

But maybe it's a good thing my expectations are at an all-time low here!?!

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote:Am I the only one that's actually happy and optimistic about these solicitations? We've now got three tentpole ongoings going on at the same time, The Visitor (which seemed to be well received), Dr. Tomorrow (which, at the very least, looks unique), and Q&W (which has a legit creative team imo).

On paper it looks ok but the delivery is not so impressive.

XO looks visually very good so I’m looking forward to that one.

Rai has been so-so after 2 issues.

Bloodshot has been poor, only Rising Spirit has been worse.

The Visitor I haven’t yet read but I’m optimistic.

Q&W I’m not looking to buy unless the reviews are amazing.

Dr Tomorrow I’m not hugely optimistic about but I’ll buy the first issue and see how it goes.

MGS
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by MGS »

I kinda wonder what’s the point of having multiple covers per issue when they’re all basically just pin-up poses of the main character. It’s not that the individual covers themselves are necessarily bad, but for the most part there’s very little to differentiate them.

Mike

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

MGS wrote:I kinda wonder what’s the point of having multiple covers per issue when they’re all basically just pin-up poses of the main character. It’s not that the individual covers themselves are necessarily bad, but for the most part there’s very little to differentiate them.

Mike
It’s been like that since VEI relaunched, with little exception. My favorite covers are usually those that show part of the story, like they did back in the day. These days, it’s mostly just a pin up pose.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

MGS wrote:I kinda wonder what’s the point of having multiple covers per issue when they’re all basically just pin-up poses of the main character. It’s not that the individual covers themselves are necessarily bad, but for the most part there’s very little to differentiate them.

Mike
I guess they figure there are enough collectors that try to have one of everything to make the cost of producing an additional cover worth it.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

MGS

Post by MGS »

nycjadie wrote:

Mike
It’s been like that since VEI relaunched, with little exception. My favorite covers are usually those that show part of the story, like they did back in the day. These days, it’s mostly just a pin up pose.
Exactly. I love it when I can just look at a cover and remember what the story was in that issue. I realize this isn’t a new trend, but it sure seems worse lately. I know a lot of times they get a cover from an artist and then use it at some point down the road, which of course means there’s no way for the artist to tie the art to the story.

Mike

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

MGS wrote:
nycjadie wrote:

Mike
Exactly. I love it when I can just look at a cover and remember what the story was in that issue. I realize this isn’t a new trend, but it sure seems worse lately. I know a lot of times they get a cover from an artist and then use it at some point down the road, which of course means there’s no way for the artist to tie the art to the story.

Mike
Considering that many hot comics are collected for the cover specifically, even if the content isn't particularly noteworthy, and that decompressed storytelling could result in there not being a particularly noteworthy action scene in a specific issue, I wouldn't expect the trend to change back to the way it used to be. Unless a company gets to the point where they have a number of issues in the can and they can still commission a cover in time to still solicit sales for that cover.

MGS

Post by MGS »

kjjohanson wrote:Considering that many hot comics are collected for the cover specifically, even if the content isn't particularly noteworthy, and that decompressed storytelling could result in there not being a particularly noteworthy action scene in a specific issue, I wouldn't expect the trend to change back to the way it used to be. Unless a company gets to the point where they have a number of issues in the can and they can still commission a cover in time to still solicit sales for that cover.
Oh, I know you’re right. I don’t really expect it to get better. It’s still fun when an artist gets creative and breaks out of the usual “character against a blank background” mold.

Mike

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

One of my favorites that tells the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

kjjohanson wrote:
MGS wrote:
nycjadie wrote:

Mike

Mike
Considering that many hot comics are collected for the cover specifically, even if the content isn't particularly noteworthy, and that decompressed storytelling could result in there not being a particularly noteworthy action scene in a specific issue, I wouldn't expect the trend to change back to the way it used to be. Unless a company gets to the point where they have a number of issues in the can and they can still commission a cover in time to still solicit sales for that cover.
So, are you saying a company that took the time and effort to tie cover with story would be a #badidea?
I hope someone is listening, because something like this could make a company stand out of the crowd, whatever company
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Nycjadie, that is a GOOD cover. Excellent eye. Just a few threads ago we were talking about how XO and The Visitor both (VEI) revealed the full suit before it was visible in the comic itself. I can understand for drumming up reader interest, but I don't really like it. I'm gonna have to do some thinking to think up my favorite in VEI. VH1 is easy
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Oxmyx wrote:Nycjadie, that is a GOOD cover. Excellent eye. Just a few threads ago we were talking about how XO and The Visitor both (VEI) revealed the full suit before it was visible in the comic itself. I can understand for drumming up reader interest, but I don't really like it. I'm gonna have to do some thinking to think up my favorite in VEI. VH1 is easy
I’ll bite. Which VH1 cover is your fav?

MGS

Post by MGS »

nycjadie wrote:One of my favorites that tells the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, see, now we're talking! :)

Mike

Sunlight on Snow

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Oxmyx wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
MGS wrote:
nycjadie wrote:

Mike

Mike
So, are you saying a company that took the time and effort to tie cover with story would be a #badidea?
I hope someone is listening, because something like this could make a company stand out of the crowd, whatever company
Not sure how much it would make a company stand out, since a lot of people that buy comics don't open it and read it anyway

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Juki wrote:
Oxmyx wrote: I'm gonna have to do some thinking to think up my favorite in VEI. VH1 is easy
Oh, jeez. You called me on it. Actually haha what I meant was that is was EASY TO THINK OF EXAMPLES of excellent story-related covers from VH1, but choosing a favorite is REALLY tough, especially on the spot! But let me think on it!

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote:
Juki wrote:
Oxmyx wrote: I'm gonna have to do some thinking to think up my favorite in VEI. VH1 is easy
Oh, jeez. You called me on it. Actually haha what I meant was that is was EASY TO THINK OF EXAMPLES of excellent story-related covers from VH1, but choosing a favorite is REALLY tough, especially on the spot! But let me think on it!
How about a thread? Name/post your favorite VH-1 covers?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:
Juki wrote:
How about a thread? Name/post your favorite VH-1 covers?
That's a refreshingly positive idea... I'm game!