Bad idea is defiant 2.0

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
Bad idea is defiant 2.0

Post by valiantdude »

I have just a few more posts left before I end my tenure here..
But in the past I've commented on how dino subconsciously manifested his version of the Jim shooter story.. he wanted to be jim shooter...
Now he's got a defiant coming.. if I were him I would study everything about defiant look for parallels to avoid failing..
I just thought it was so interesting how now there is a new company with a bunch of the old people from vei..
I hope he does well, but if I were I'm the room with him I would tell him that..
I would say, you manifested your own version of the Jim shooter story, you have to be very careful when asking for things, if you dont want bad idea to fail.. go back study defiant avoid anything even looking like a parallel.. or what could evolve into a parallel

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Bad idea is defiant 2.0

Post by SwiftMann »

So don't take a current or solicited Marvel title and chop off the last two letters? Cause, really, wasn't it the financial situation that was the real downfall of Defiant?
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

SwiftMann wrote:So don't take a current or solicited Marvel title and chop off the last two letters? Cause, really, wasn't it the financial situation that was the real downfall of Defiant?
That and the end of the speculation bubble and an over-saturated market.

But if you want to give Dino advice, posting here should do it. The Nerd Boss still lurks...
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

No plasm was first and then judge even said it was a bs case... there is a lot more than that.. I've read a lot about the dynamics of that company.. I'm not going go point by point..

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote:I've read a lot about the dynamics of that company.. I'm not going go point by point..
Please do.

Doctor Aph? Would that be a good title?

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

I don't know the internal details of Defiant, but I did comic book ordering for a major store back then. It was the closing of the speculation bubble and Defiant (appeared) to be marketing their company as a chance to get in on the ground floor of Valiant 2.0. Tons of limited editions, special editions, #1s, new offerings, signed books, etc. Many of the Valiant fans at the time weren't necessary fans of Valiant, but fans of the appreciation, the variants, and the collectibility. I'm not saying everyone, but there was TONS of speculation and every few issues had some new introduction or special edition. We ordered a ton of Valiant back then, but rarely sold any back issues post-Unity. After the initial wave of interest, we had difficulty transitioning Valiant customers (which had dwindled) to Defiant. It was just too much.

I personally loved Plasm, but struggled to get into the other books. There was a TON of competition for reader's eyes then, and most of those eyes weren't even reading. I'd like to think that Defiant was began with a purpose and a quest for quality, but at the time, it came across as another attempt at a speculative startup and a chance to launch a ton of #1s. I just remember long box after long box of Defiant books, right next to tons of "Return of Superman" books facepalm

reddog
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: chu chuck
Favorite title: solar
Favorite writer: shooter
Favorite artist: lapham

Post by reddog »

other than early warriors of plasm defiant was just bad. shooter had checked out due to the suit, the promising involvement of ditko dissipated rapidly and the creators (except Lapham) were the worst bunch of hangarounders seen then or since. the books were unreadable and the art was unlookable. more than anything else, crap on paper was why defiant failed.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

reddog wrote:other than early warriors of plasm defiant was just bad. shooter had checked out due to the suit, the promising involvement of ditko dissipated rapidly and the creators (except Lapham) were the worst bunch of hangarounders seen then or since. the books were unreadable and the art was unlookable. more than anything else, crap on paper was why defiant failed.
I think this is a pretty close reality. The books just weren't good.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

reddog wrote:other than early warriors of plasm defiant was just bad. shooter had checked out due to the suit, the promising involvement of ditko dissipated rapidly and the creators (except Lapham) were the worst bunch of hangarounders seen then or since. the books were unreadable and the art was unlookable. more than anything else, crap on paper was why defiant failed.
Adam Pollina, who's been working on current Valiant books, was one of Defiant's artists, so it wasn't all bad.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

reddog

Post by reddog »

he was bad then, not seen current work but just my opinion

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

reddog wrote:he was bad then, not seen current work but just my opinion
I like his work then. I was actually familiar with his work before Defiant, as he was the artist on a series called Chromium Man by a local publisher, and I thought he had a bright future. I think he would be a much better known name if he had stayed in comics, but he left to pursue advertising art for a while before returning to comics.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Joe James had his 1st gig at defiant
Dark dominion was a overall good book, it had a unique premise
Everything else kinda fell flat
The plasm books are legendary comics, if you like David Latham this was I think his best stuff.. there are two comics plasm 8 and 9 are like David laphams magnum opus..literally some of the best comics ever made..
But morely what my OP was about was like energetic or situational similarities.. I'm done being generous though, so I'll move on :D

reddog

Post by reddog »

hahahahahahah....good idea.....following along out the door of this one

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

It is time for a schism.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Chiclo wrote:It is time for a schism.
I'm starting to wonder if one already happened.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?