Quarantine game... pick what I read

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Quarantine game... pick what I read

Post by Oxmyx »

I'm only partially quarantined because I am going to work because my job is considered "essential" but I have Fri Sat Sunday off.

I will leave off the gripes about my job, here. Believe me, it's hard.

Anyway, I've picked up old comics to fill gaps in my reading collection, and I have plenty to read.

So, VH1 HARD Corps #5
or
VEI Brittania #1
or
VH1 Magnus #32
or
VH1 Shadowman #7

While you guys vote, and we'll let it go a day or so, I'm gonna watch the YouTube Ninjak Vs and then read Predator Vs Magnus, 1 & 2, which I've been wanting to do badly
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Quarantine game... pick what I read

Post by jmatt »

Shadowman #7. It's still early in the run and has that distinct voodoo vibe.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

jmatt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:45:12 pm Shadowman #7. It's still early in the run and has that distinct voodoo vibe.
Thanks man. I will start with that.

Does someone suggest my second read?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Assuming you’ve read HARD Corps 1-4 already, or even if you haven’t - I say read HARD Corps #5 next!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

A while ago I decided to pick up digital versions of VH1 RAI 1-5, but haven’t had the time to get around to reading them. I am still missing print copies of 2,3 & 4 in my collection.

I’m thinking I’ll be queuing up those comics as my next quarantine reading session :D
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

grendeljd wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:59:49 am A while ago I decided to pick up digital versions of VH1 RAI 1-5, but haven’t had the time to get around to reading them. I am still missing print copies of 2,3 & 4 in my collection.

I’m thinking I’ll be queuing up those comics as my next quarantine reading session :D
Not long ago I found a copy of the 90s Rai TPB at a used book store. For me, that was a real score. I finally got to read the Pre-Unity Rai books plus Rai Zero

VH1 Rai Zero isn't really part of the Rai 1-5 story, so you'll be fine. Great book but not essential for that arc. Have you read Rai Zero?

That was an amazing read.

Like you, I have gaps in my print collection, which holds back some of my reading. I am missing HARD Corps #4, but I have and read (and enjoyed) #1,2,3. My gap is why I hadn't read#5 yet.

But that'll be the second stop on my quarantine reading list, although I got behind am still on Predator Vs Magnus. I finished the first book and WOW very excited for #2. Then Shadowman #7 and the HARD Corps #5. Then I will post a new 4 books for my quarantine game. I also still want to watch the Ninjak Vs on YouTube plus all my other interests...very much including playing ring around the rosie with my wife!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I have indeed read RAI zero... many times! I have two copies of it in my collection (one matte, one glossy!) :D

I read the original RAI/Magnus flip-book issues way back in the day when they were first published, but didn’t get into RAI until well after it had changed to RAI & The Future Force. I had a meager comics budget back then and couldn’t afford too many Valiant titles - especially the pre-unity stuff once it shot up in value. Over the years I have backfilled my set of RAI, but just haven’t finished it off with those few early issues. They still hold more value than a lot of early Valiant books!

I actually met Dave Ross once at a retailer convention back then, and he was a really nice person - his sister used to buy whatever comics he drew from the comic shop I worked in at the time. He gave me some friendly professional advice about my own artwork and even sent me a package via his sister that contained photocopied sheets of his pencils for the entire issue #21 of RAI, so that I could learn from him!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Good score on the RAI trade! :thumb:

michalward
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by michalward »

wait this isn't a game

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

michalward wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:05:43 pm wait this isn't a game
It was, you just missed it. I will be posting 4 more books to be voted on soon.

I took my wife out yesterday hiking, and that are up a lot of my day. I'm definitely behind on the game.

My prerequisite to starting the winning votes has just now been finished. Yesterday i watched most of Ninjak Vs on YouTube, and read Predator Vs Magnus #1. This morning I finished #2 and Ninjak. So, the next step is take a break to remind my wife I know she's here, then read Shadowman #7. (Good news! Not long ago I scored a 90s TPB of Shadowman that allowed me to read #1 thru #6 so I am better caught up than I realized!)

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

michalward wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:05:43 pm wait this isn't a game
Feel free to post 4 things you are considering reading, comics or not, and let the voting public decide your future. Post here or start a new thread. But maybe post here to keep the board less cluttered.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Okay...over my three day weekend I barely finished all the comics I had set for myself.
I enjoyed them all. Good choices everybody!

It was cool to see more of HARD Corps. I had paused my reading on that series because I was missing #4. Looks like I didn't really need it too badly.

I just found out I am getting a temporary plant shut-down (how temporary will it be? Right now just a week and a half, but by a week out I think things will be getting bad here) and I'm glad for it and that also means I will be posting a new 4 issues to vote on.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Wrath of the eternal warrior the whole series
I Miss the good old days.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

nonplayer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28:19 pm Wrath of the eternal warrior the whole series
Are you suggesting for me? Or telling us what you're reading?

You're talking about VEI Wrath specifically correct? I actually have the Risen TPB waiting to be read and that's Wrath, correct?

But I figured Risen was too far ahead in continuity for me. Maybe it is or not, I don't really know. I know it's a leap ahead in publishing order. I'm not far past Armor Hunters in the publishing order.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Okay QUARANTINE GAME, PART TWO:

This is gonna be a bit different.

I've filled in gaps in my collections of three major VH1 events: Unity, Deathmate, and Chaos Effect.

I have not read the entirety of ANY of the three.

So it's like a re-read with a few parts that are new to me.

So...

Unity Chapter 5 XO, Chapter 10 Eternal Warrior
or
Deathmate Black, Red
or
Chaos Effect: ArcherArmstrong, Secrets of the VU

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Oxmyx wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:49:20 pm
nonplayer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28:19 pm Wrath of the eternal warrior the whole series
Are you suggesting for me? Or telling us what you're reading?

You're talking about VEI Wrath specifically correct? I actually have the Risen TPB waiting to be read and that's Wrath, correct?

But I figured Risen was too far ahead in continuity for me. Maybe it is or not, I don't really know. I know it's a leap ahead in publishing order. I'm not far past Armor Hunters in the publishing order.
I ment you should read it.
I Miss the good old days.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

nonplayer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:22:47 pm
Oxmyx wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:49:20 pm
Are you suggesting for me? Or telling us what you're reading? I actually have the Risen TPB waiting to be read and that's Wrath, correct?
I ment you should read it.
I see that the Risen TPB is Wrath Vol 1. If I compare it to the VEI Unity continuity where does it fall? If I can read it without messing up my VEI reading order I will.

But I don't have access to the whole series at this time, so the entire series isn't an option.

My actual "game" was those three VH1 events I last posted. I'm going with comics I already have waiting to be read.