Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How do you feel about Valiant in 2020

Poll ended at Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:04:26 pm

No, I’m super pumped by what the company is putting out
2%
I feel the same as I ever did
11%
I’m losing interest fast and it’s impacting my buying habits
33%
I’ve lost interest and buy few or no books any more
30%
Wake me up when the current regime have been replaced
13%
Fool stop talking this jibber jabber!
2%
Something different which I’ll put in the comments
9%

Total votes: 46

darkwingdan
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by darkwingdan »

Benny_Decker wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:30:50 pm
Oxmyx wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:38:38 am
Benny_Decker wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:18:10 am I am a trade waiter...
Has the TPB for LADOTH been released yet? I heard something that sounded like it has.

I prefer Trades myself, too.
It is out and the series completely lives up to the hype!
I'm hoping this gets a deluxe edition release. Then again, there are a bunch of titles I've been waiting to get the deluxe treatment that sadly haven't.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

jmatt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:35:30 pm I've lost some interest but still buy everything out of habit with the intention of catching up.
Same. I think the AD books are the last ones I actually read.

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:02:18 pm
TheeBaldMoose wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:37:10 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:14:55 pm
Joshua wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:44:45 pm I've been reading stories with these characters in them since the mid 90s and I still like what I read. I also think we're nowhere near as bad as the Acclaim material was.
Each to their own but let’s also recognise that you’re in the minority amongst Valiant fans, at least on this site which is the main source for the hardcore. I don’t follow the Valiant fans on Facebook but I assume the general feeling is the same?
Not quite sure if feelings are the same or not, I'd bet some are pretty close to the same (X-O took a beating). When books are back, I am going to ask for the readers evaluation (based on a scale of 1-5) and get their rating for the books, especially through the first arc. It'll be interesting to see the overall ratings from fans and put that up against any podcast/twitter rating to see just how the book fared with the fans.

Best part, podcasters can see just how far off or how accurate their evaluation was to the average fan. Every podcast has it's issues, new ones are excited, might be looking for the clicks. Older ones might be more jaded, more bitter. I get that their reviews are their interpretations, and that's fair.
I’d like to think older podcasts maybe just more honest as they no longer feel the need to impress Valiant. New podcasts are super enthusiastic for sure, but as a listener I tend to switch off when I hear *consistently* unrealistic reviews of poor to average books which podcasters claim are ‘great books’. I stop listening as I can’t trust the judgement when mediocre books are 4.5/5 and poor books are 3.75/5.

If Facebook Valiant has similar views to here then I wonder what feedback Valiant (Acclaim 2.0) get which tells them to keep cranking out the books they’ve been doing this last 2 years?
I've never felt the need to try to impress Valiant and I've read these books since the 90s. I'm not a new school fan.

darkwingdan

Post by darkwingdan »

Joshua wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:41:04 am
Joshua wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:44:45 pm I've been reading stories with these characters in them since the mid 90s and I still like what I read. I also think we're nowhere near as bad as the Acclaim material was.
Each to their own but let’s also recognise that you’re in the minority amongst Valiant fans, at least on this site which is the main source for the hardcore. I don’t follow the Valiant fans on Facebook but I assume the general feeling is the same?
Not quite sure if feelings are the same or not, I'd bet some are pretty close to the same (X-O took a beating). When books are back, I am going to ask for the readers evaluation (based on a scale of 1-5) and get their rating for the books, especially through the first arc. It'll be interesting to see the overall ratings from fans and put that up against any podcast/twitter rating to see just how the book fared with the fans.

Best part, podcasters can see just how far off or how accurate their evaluation was to the average fan. Every podcast has it's issues, new ones are excited, might be looking for the clicks. Older ones might be more jaded, more bitter. I get that their reviews are their interpretations, and that's fair.
I’d like to think older podcasts maybe just more honest as they no longer feel the need to impress Valiant. New podcasts are super enthusiastic for sure, but as a listener I tend to switch off when I hear *consistently* unrealistic reviews of poor to average books which podcasters claim are ‘great books’. I stop listening as I can’t trust the judgement when mediocre books are 4.5/5 and poor books are 3.75/5.

If Facebook Valiant has similar views to here then I wonder what feedback Valiant (Acclaim 2.0) get which tells them to keep cranking out the books they’ve been doing this last 2 years?
I've never felt the need to try to impress Valiant and I've read these books since the 90s. I'm not a new school fan.
One of my first comics was the holofoil X-O #0, but I'm not going to pretend I was reading Valiant back then - I was 6 and my local grocery store mostly had Marvel and DC on their spinner racks. However, I was a big VEI reader when X-O launched in 2012, and as I mentioned earlier I fell off around Gen Zero. I've also written for a few websites over the years, and I'll admit that having access to publishers does result in a bit of favoritism - whether it's intentional or subconsciously. It's just human nature.

However, I don't think any of the podcasts or website go out of their way to "impress" Valiant - especially the major ones. Keeping something like that up and running is a lot of hard work, and the majority of them are purely passion projects. I know several major websites don't make any money and the writers aren't paid, and I'm certain that many podcasts operate under similar circumstances. So they're taking the time to write articles or record podcasts because the subject - in this case, Valiant - is something that they are passionate about. More likely than not out of enjoyment. So it makes sense to me that there'd be a more positive disposition.

So with that said, I've been doing some catching up and figured I'd give my thoughts on some recent books. I've never really been a fan of Q&W, and the current series reads like more of the same for me. The Visitor is an okay mystery. I thought KI-6: Killers or whatever it's called had an interesting premise with poor execution. I thought the new X-O was a 2/5 book that could have been a 4/5 book if they didn't give Shanhara a voice. I like Rai. I enjoyed the latest Doctor Mirage. I'm indifferent on Bloodshot, but I've only enjoyed him in The Valiant and early issues Bloodshot Reborn. I have high hopes for Shadowman given the creative team, and I'm looking forward to Ninjak's return.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Dallow, I think you missed what I was trying to say, it was closer to the opposite. Some books have had positive spins, but not many. X-O took a beating on the FB page, there were a lot that just were not happy with the results of the book. Many of the other books echoed a sentiment similar to here, although maybe not quite as harsh. There are a good amount of people from this page, that frequent the FB page (lurkers and posters), so those results don't surprise me much.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:01:58 am

Dallow, I think you missed what I was trying to say, it was closer to the opposite. Some books have had positive spins, but not many. X-O took a beating on the FB page, there were a lot that just were not happy with the results of the book. Many of the other books echoed a sentiment similar to here, although maybe not quite as harsh. There are a good amount of people from this page, that frequent the FB page (lurkers and posters), so those results don't surprise me much.
I guess it goes back to WHO are Valiant listening to when they decided this was the direction to go in! :?

Good to know the consensus is similar to here

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I would just like to point out that the poll is invalid as there is no option for ice cream...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

lorddunlow wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:15:45 am I would just like to point out that the poll is invalid as there is no option for ice cream...

Objection overruled!

darkwingdan

Post by darkwingdan »

lorddunlow wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:15:45 am I would just like to point out that the poll is invalid as there is no option for ice cream...

I could go for some ice cream about now...

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

darkwingdan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:18:35 am

I introduced my wife to Chico Taco and now it is her favorite. But we can't find them in any stores (except individual). Anyone ever see them sold in a box? I'm also trying to figure out a store that has Eskimo Pie
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:10:26 pm

I introduced my wife to Chico Taco and now it is her favorite. But we can't find them in any stores (except individual). Anyone ever see them sold in a box? I'm also trying to figure out a store that has Eskimo Pie
Do you mean Choco Tacos?

I know of a Chico's Tacos, but that is not a breakfast food, except on spring break.

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

Chiclo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:51:39 pm
Oxmyx wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:10:26 pm

Do you mean Choco Tacos?

I know of a Chico's Tacos, but that is not a breakfast food, except on spring break.
I first read that as "Chiclo Taco" and so this comment makes me even more ashamed.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I also read Chiclo Taco first. Thought I had stumbled onto some Valiant urban dictionary.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

possumgrease wrote:I also read Chiclo Taco first. Thought I had stumbled onto some Valiant urban dictionary.
Dear God, the mental image I now carry... My eyes!

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

I prefer fresh spaghetti ice from the ice cafe around the corner. It's one if not the most popular ice cream dishes in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWfeVLUTJs

Whipped cream, vanilla ice (noodles), strawberry sauce, and coconut flakes on top.

Do you have those in the US, too?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:21:07 am
possumgrease wrote:I also read Chiclo Taco first. Thought I had stumbled onto some Valiant urban dictionary.

It's not that bad. Chiclo's tacos are basically huevos rancheros without the beans.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Chiclo wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:14:17 am
lorddunlow wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:21:07 am
It's not that bad. Chiclo's tacos are basically huevos rancheros without the beans.
Yes, I had meant Chaco Tacos. I know I was typing the post at work, either hurriedly on break (possibly with glare from the sun) or even more hurriedly not on break.

But it occurs to me that Chiclo Tacos are best served cold, with salsa.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

My interest wained about a year after relaunch, the constant never ending amount of variants made it nearly impossible to keep up, as much a I would have liked too.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Due to circumstances, I've been able to do more reading in the last six weeks than in the last six years.
I've read:
Eternal Warrior: Sword of the Wild and Eternal Emperor
Ninjak: Weaponeer and Operation Deadside
4001 AD Deluxe HC
Rai: Welcome to New Japan and Battle for New Japan

I've loved them all. Yes, even Sword of the Wild (I think Greg Pak introduced a lot of ideas that can be expanded on to make great stories).

If Shooter and others have us VH1 Pre-Unity and Unity, and Dinesh and others gave us the above and pre-DMG, I believe that someone can give us more VALIANT greatness! Thank you Dan Abnett for Fallen World and Rai!
***Support your local farmers!***