Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: greg, Daniel Jackson

How do you feel about Valiant in 2020

Poll ended at Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:04:26 pm

No, I’m super pumped by what the company is putting out
1
2%
I feel the same as I ever did
5
11%
I’m losing interest fast and it’s impacting my buying habits
15
33%
I’ve lost interest and buy few or no books any more
14
30%
Wake me up when the current regime have been replaced
6
13%
Fool stop talking this jibber jabber!
1
2%
Something different which I’ll put in the comments
4
9%
 
Total votes: 46

User avatar
Dallow Spicer1
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1979
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Joshua wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:44:45 pm
I've been reading stories with these characters in them since the mid 90s and I still like what I read. I also think we're nowhere near as bad as the Acclaim material was.
Each to their own but let’s also recognise that you’re in the minority amongst Valiant fans, at least on this site which is the main source for the hardcore. I don’t follow the Valiant fans on Facebook but I assume the general feeling is the same?

Seems to me the only people who like the current books are Valiant related podcasters (VCR aside). My theory is people who have the drive to do podcasts are more enthusiastic than regular fans and are therefore more inclined to be overly positive. However I think that that approach is more damaging to the company as they get a false sense of feedback when they hear Livewire, Roku, Bloodshot etc are ‘awesome books’.

Polls like this one and very low sales figures tell a different story but clearly the editors take no notice as they continue to dismantle what was a great comic book company.

Oxmyx
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53:37 pm
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Oxmyx »

buff-beardo wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02:22 am
At this point, Dynamite would be better off owning the characters. Sad story.
Ooh, now that's harsh
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53:37 pm
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Oxmyx »

armlessphelan wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55:36 pm
Chiclo wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22:55 pm
buff-beardo wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02:22 am
At this point, Dynamite would be better off owning the characters. Sad story.
I must disagree. If Dynamite got the characters, we'd see something along the lines of ... mini-series that introduced the characters, a few minis focused on the cornerstones
Dynamite only cares about relaunching Vampirella and Red Sonja every few years...
sometimes ... Dejah Thoris.
If Dynamite got these characters we'd see crossovers with every other IP they have at some point. Vampirella vs XO, Red Sonja vs Ninjak, Bloodshot vs Ash (from Army of Darkness), although slightly fun concepts, would be nauseating to see actually happen.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

User avatar
TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Posts: 2415
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Location: Tacoma
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:14:55 pm
Joshua wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:44:45 pm
I've been reading stories with these characters in them since the mid 90s and I still like what I read. I also think we're nowhere near as bad as the Acclaim material was.
Each to their own but let’s also recognise that you’re in the minority amongst Valiant fans, at least on this site which is the main source for the hardcore. I don’t follow the Valiant fans on Facebook but I assume the general feeling is the same?
Not quite sure if feelings are the same or not, I'd bet some are pretty close to the same (X-O took a beating). When books are back, I am going to ask for the readers evaluation (based on a scale of 1-5) and get their rating for the books, especially through the first arc. It'll be interesting to see the overall ratings from fans and put that up against any podcast/twitter rating to see just how the book fared with the fans.

Best part, podcasters can see just how far off or how accurate their evaluation was to the average fan. Every podcast has it's issues, new ones are excited, might be looking for the clicks. Older ones might be more jaded, more bitter. I get that their reviews are their interpretations, and that's fair.
Moose

User avatar
Dallow Spicer1
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1979
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:37:10 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:14:55 pm
Joshua wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:44:45 pm
I've been reading stories with these characters in them since the mid 90s and I still like what I read. I also think we're nowhere near as bad as the Acclaim material was.
Each to their own but let’s also recognise that you’re in the minority amongst Valiant fans, at least on this site which is the main source for the hardcore. I don’t follow the Valiant fans on Facebook but I assume the general feeling is the same?
Not quite sure if feelings are the same or not, I'd bet some are pretty close to the same (X-O took a beating). When books are back, I am going to ask for the readers evaluation (based on a scale of 1-5) and get their rating for the books, especially through the first arc. It'll be interesting to see the overall ratings from fans and put that up against any podcast/twitter rating to see just how the book fared with the fans.

Best part, podcasters can see just how far off or how accurate their evaluation was to the average fan. Every podcast has it's issues, new ones are excited, might be looking for the clicks. Older ones might be more jaded, more bitter. I get that their reviews are their interpretations, and that's fair.
I’d like to think older podcasts maybe just more honest as they no longer feel the need to impress Valiant. New podcasts are super enthusiastic for sure, but as a listener I tend to switch off when I hear *consistently* unrealistic reviews of poor to average books which podcasters claim are ‘great books’. I stop listening as I can’t trust the judgement when mediocre books are 4.5/5 and poor books are 3.75/5.

If Facebook Valiant has similar views to here then I wonder what feedback Valiant (Acclaim 2.0) get which tells them to keep cranking out the books they’ve been doing this last 2 years?

User avatar
darkwingdan
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:09:59 am
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Contact:
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by darkwingdan »

I guess I come at it from a different perspective. I lost interest around the time of Harbinger Renegades and Generation Zero, only to start checking out their newer stuff. Frankly, I'm encouraged by the direction things are taking. I've also gone back and read some of the stuff I've missed out on, and I can't say I've disliked anything aside from KI-6: Killers. Just give me some more Ninjak!

TL;DR I lost interest pre-DMG and am being won over by the current crop of titles.

User avatar
grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Posts: 7754
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by grendeljd »

I am feeling torn about saying anything in this thread. I feel like this negative subject is discussed too much around here. The group of fans that are still taking time to post here has shrunk significantly in the last year or two, and to me its too few people to use as an example of a reliable cross section of opinion.

But I guess I'll weigh in a bit here & try to be objectively fair about it. I would say that generally I am less enthusiastic about new releases from the current team at VEI. There has been a steady shift in tone and direction of all the newer books that is just not as appealing to me - I love continuity in my superhero fiction, and I also like it when a variety of tones & concepts are explored. There have been good, bad & mediocre books published since DMG took over & the driving forces of the original crew left/were ousted, but its beginning to lean heavily in the mediocre-to-bad range to me, especially most recently with the new XO book, & the look of the upcoming Savage series seeming to be similar. I want to get excited about the new Shadowman series, but I am concerned that it will fall under this current trend in tone.

I do not buy any print copies of any titles anymore, but I do buy digital copies of a couple of them - currently that includes RAI & The Visitor. I'm not interested in everything being cartoony, light-hearted feel-good versions of the characters, where the only stories being told are formulaic and repetitive 'fresh take' 'jumping on points' that try to appeal to everyone at once and only end up being generic, unfulfilling reading experiences that have zero consequence on any of the characters development or the Valiant universe in general - and that goes doubly so when previous continuity is also ignored largely out of fear that someone might not buy the thing.

I am still a fan of the Valiant universe & all the characters - and I still want to enjoy new Valiant series. But I am not [and have never been] the kind of fan who just blindly supports absolutely anything and everything that a publisher will put out simply because I am a fan of that publishers characters. I like the *idea* of these characters & I have loved many of the titles that have come out over the years since the 90's. I am not seeing a particular storytelling quality on average in the current output that is of the kind I like, for me to consider supporting them broadly in general - they have burned the credit earned by the earlier crew for me personally to be as willing to take chances on their new titles as I was in the past.

I say all of that without feeling the need to sling mud at any individuals who are currently working at Valiant either. I do not speak from personal anger, nor is it appropriate to say anything 'below the belt' about people who are trying to do a job. If the comics fall flat in sales and no one wants to read them, share them around or discuss them, then thats all that needs to be said about the kind of job that is being done.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Dallow Spicer1
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1979
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:32:21 am
I am feeling torn about saying anything in this thread. I feel like this negative subject is discussed too much around here. The group of fans that are still taking time to post here has shrunk significantly in the last year or two, and to me its too few people to use as an example of a reliable cross section of opinion.
Nicely and diplomatically put Grendel. The tone is negative on the board because we have nothing positive to discuss. With every new release it’s disappointment after disappointment. We all *want* good books to be produced and to get us fired up again but the direction that the company is going just isn’t working.

There are less people on the board talking about the books which is part of the indifference this poll was aimed at.

But let me ask you this and to anyone else who chooses a more diplomatic route. If fans don’t voice displeasure then aside from just walking away then what’s the solution to influencing a situation. Shouldn’t feedback from the people who actually purchase the products (and not just click ‘like’ on Twitter) matter to a company who are trying to make a successful line?

To me, indifference is worse than criticism as at least with criticism is shows a level of emotional investment. Indifference is the mindset before people walk away.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Posts: 2130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:16:04 pm
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo
Favorite title: Divinity, savage,
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Location: out for lunch
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by nonplayer »

It is very difficult to say this. I am not enjoying Dmg's valiant for a good long time now. Im a valiant fan from around xo #9 and I plan to collect xo till the end of time.
But failer after failer has me jaded and untrustworthy to try a new series.
I hadnt been a bloodshot fan back in the day but 2012 bloodshot got me hooked. Do you know what its like to be in love with something just to have it be garbage later ruining it forevermore. It was a hard decision to drop bloodshot. but now its easier to not pick stuff up since now Im not invested in it.
To stay valiant is easy. But to not buy into trash put out by noobs is freeing.
Im still a valiant fan its just conflicting intrest when I hate DMG so darn much.
I Miss Dinesh running Valiant

stanchek
paulsmith56 is my hero
paulsmith56 is my hero
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:30:25 am
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Kano
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by stanchek »

darkwingdan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:52:16 pm
I guess I come at it from a different perspective. I lost interest around the time of Harbinger Renegades and Generation Zero, only to start checking out their newer stuff. Frankly, I'm encouraged by the direction things are taking. I've also gone back and read some of the stuff I've missed out on, and I can't say I've disliked anything aside from KI-6: Killers. Just give me some more Ninjak!

TL;DR I lost interest pre-DMG and am being won over by the current crop of titles.
This is kinda where I'm at...kinda. I lost interest around the end of the Gen Zero run. Only picked up a few books here and there after that. Really fell out of comics in general at that point. Now that I'm stuck at home, I've been re-organizing my collection and I fired up a Comixology sub to go through all of the Valiant storylines starting in 2012. This has really reinvigorated my love for the characters and the publisher. With that said, however, I have yet to read anything from Valiant published after mid to late 2018. So...we'll see how it goes when I get there, I guess.

User avatar
JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Posts: 2406
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:41:30 pm
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
Location: SW Michigan
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by JonesyAZ »

First off, thanks to everyone for creating and commenting in this thread. This thread, plus my decision recently to catch up on buying/reading post-DMG books has led me to speak up again after some time away; woot!

I stopped reading Valiant books as I was becoming indifferent around the time that HWII was coming out. After finishing the first arcs of Livewire and Bloodshot: Rising Spirit, I decided to complete the LADOTH mini-series as my "stopping point" for Valiant. As time has gone on, I personally spent more time reading novels and back-issues of other companies with my extra time when not working and being a dad. With the Covid-19 madness shutting down comic stores and much of my social life for the time being, I started to catch up on Valiant by visiting this site, Twitter, and Facebook. I decided that I wanted to give the newer books a chance...even though things "feel" so much like they're repeating history ala Acclaim Comics (isn't it kind of nutty too that Walter Black is still involved this time around since he was one of the last in management via Acclaim? Totally an aside...now to carry on...)

I recently bought the first eight issues of the new Bloodshot title, Psi-Lords, Fallen World, Rai, and many other recent runs from Agent Graves (thanks amigo!) on this site and since receiving my shipment last week, i've read Livewire and Bloodshot...as well as the first issue of X-O. Maybe it's because I was first and foremost an "Image Kid" in the 90's and when I started reading comics...but i've been happy with the Bloodshot run so far. I thought the 0 issue was a good bridge from what came before and made the new no. 1 not as jarring. Are these books as good with deep, compelling storytelling as what VEI put out before? No. But do I enjoy them as much? Yes...because what the new Bloodshot book is giving me is a great action story take on the character. I'm going to stick with this title for now. Livewire...while it was long and drawn-out and some of the artwork was sloppy in the final few issues...I also enjoyed the experience...as it reminded me of an "indie comic" take on Valiant. Again, is it as good as pre-DMG? No...but I appreciated the different take and story. The new X-O issue DID feel like an insult to what came before...i'm not sure if I can stomach this "buddy cop" take of Aric and Shanhara. V-Ditti's shoes are VERY big to fill.

All in all, i'm glad to read some new stories featuring lots of my favorite characters. But I prefer to buy only the books I want to New from my LCS (Bloodshot) once stores open again...while buying up other issues I need preferrably on the cheap. I will sample other new Valiant books as they come out to give some of the new creators a chance...but I can't help but still feel bad that we don't have new Valiant stories with Dino, Warren, Hunter, etc. in the leadership roles, and creators like V-Ditti, Dysart and Heisserer writing. In a perfect world, maybe Mintz will somehow make amends with the old crew and bring them back someday. Otherwise...I can choose to quit reading again if the new stuff still doesn't hold for me...and can invest in a "Bad Idea" later :)

Thanks for letting me chime in on this thread, as an old-school VEI fan/semi-classic OTV podcast host that's been away for awhile.
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

User avatar
agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:34:56 pm
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Location: North Carolina
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by agent_graves »

JonesyAZ wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:21:33 am
I recently bought the first eight issues of the new Bloodshot title, Psi-Lords, Fallen World, Rai, and many other recent runs from Agent Graves (thanks amigo!)
No problem... :thumb:

Everything must go, except a few of my favorites... :o
#StayValiant

User avatar
grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Posts: 7754
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by grendeljd »

Nice to see you surface again here, Jonesy! :high-five:

I think you’re gonna dig Fallen World & RAI when you get to reading them!

I’m curious as to what you’ll think of PSI Lords. I did not find it to be a terribly bad series like some around here did, and yet I didn’t buy the last few issues of it and don’t have any interest in finding out what happened to those characters either. I wasn’t a fan of the inter-character dynamics or their constant snappy banter and that ultimately led me to lose interest.

I read the first issue of the most recent Bloodshot, and just couldn’t quite jive with the vibe of it either. Not sure if I’ll ever feel like coming back around to it. And I say that as a fan of 90’s era Bret Booth art!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
TML5280
paulsmith56 is my hero
paulsmith56 is my hero
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:20:49 pm
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric aka X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Tie: Matt Kindt / Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by TML5280 »

I've been a Valiant fan since I picked up my first issue (Solar #1) in September, 1991. Over the years there have definitely been some big ups and downs. Following the DMG takeover, things were fine for the most part as the stuff already in the pipeline worked through. I was rather gutted by what ended up happening to HW2, since then the overall decline in quality of art and storytelling have been fairly noticeable. Cullen's work on Punk Mambo was not bad and I am looking forward to seeing what he does with Shadowman. As of right now, the only real bright spot I can see is Rai, which pains me a ton because first and foremost, I'm an X-O Manowar fan. Really hoping that the new folks steering the mothership get away from expressing political and/or personal opinions (Livewire?) through the comics and back toward the intricate line-wine inter-connectedness that made the 2012 re-launch so fantastic.

Ok, so here's the short answer: yes my attention has been drifting, but as a long-time Valiant fan, I've had to deal with setbacks before.

User avatar
armlessphelan
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01:57 pm
Location: Ohio, US
Contact:
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by armlessphelan »

TML5280 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09:20 am
Really hoping that the new folks steering the mothership get away from expressing political and/or personal opinions (Livewire?) through the comics and back toward the intricate line-wine inter-connectedness that made the 2012 re-launch so fantastic.
The whole "political" thing is kinda overblown. I mean, I remember under Dinesh they published an issue of Faith that was practically an endorsement of Hillary Clinton for President. Not to mention the 2012 Archer and Armstrong series was also a super political satire. The only big difference between then and now is that the creators are more vocal on social media than they used to be.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

User avatar
Dallow Spicer1
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1979
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

armlessphelan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:37:52 pm
TML5280 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09:20 am
Really hoping that the new folks steering the mothership get away from expressing political and/or personal opinions (Livewire?) through the comics and back toward the intricate line-wine inter-connectedness that made the 2012 re-launch so fantastic.
The whole "political" thing is kinda overblown. I mean, I remember under Dinesh they published an issue of Faith that was practically an endorsement of Hillary Clinton for President. Not to mention the 2012 Archer and Armstrong series was also a super political satire. The only big difference between then and now is that the creators are more vocal on social media than they used to be.
Without wanting to open up that can of worms again, it’s not just the politics inside the books but the creative teams they were selecting for the books seemed driven by a political correctness agenda rather than talent. That doesn’t seem to be as prevalent this year.

Oxmyx
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53:37 pm
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Oxmyx »

armlessphelan wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55:36 pm
Chiclo wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22:55 pm
buff-beardo wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02:22 am
At this point, Dynamite would be better off owning the characters. Sad story.
I must disagree. If Dynamite got the characters...
Dynamite only cares about relaunching Vampirella and Red Sonja every few years. I actually read Dynamite comics, and outside of their main two cash cows they're often mediocre in both quality and sales. Though, sometimes they give Dejah Thoris a push.
Armless, I'm curious, I read some Dynamite now and then, but I haven't found any Dynamite specific podcasts, whereas Valiant has many. Are there Dynamite podcasts that you are aware of?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

User avatar
Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Posts: 20686
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09:11 am
Favorite character: Kris
Location: Texas
Contact:
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:35:28 am
armlessphelan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:37:52 pm
TML5280 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09:20 am
Really hoping that the new folks steering the mothership get away from expressing political and/or personal opinions (Livewire?) through the comics and back toward the intricate line-wine inter-connectedness that made the 2012 re-launch so fantastic.
The whole "political" thing is kinda overblown. I mean, I remember under Dinesh they published an issue of Faith that was practically an endorsement of Hillary Clinton for President. Not to mention the 2012 Archer and Armstrong series was also a super political satire. The only big difference between then and now is that the creators are more vocal on social media than they used to be.
Without wanting to open up that can of worms again, it’s not just the politics inside the books but the creative teams they were selecting for the books seemed driven by a political correctness agenda rather than talent. That doesn’t seem to be as prevalent this year.
I think this reflects a wider trend, where in the last year or so, the political stuff on the internet has settled down a little bit.

User avatar
Dallow Spicer1
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1979
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:26:46 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:35:28 am
armlessphelan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:37:52 pm
TML5280 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09:20 am
Really hoping that the new folks steering the mothership get away from expressing political and/or personal opinions (Livewire?) through the comics and back toward the intricate line-wine inter-connectedness that made the 2012 re-launch so fantastic.
The whole "political" thing is kinda overblown. I mean, I remember under Dinesh they published an issue of Faith that was practically an endorsement of Hillary Clinton for President. Not to mention the 2012 Archer and Armstrong series was also a super political satire. The only big difference between then and now is that the creators are more vocal on social media than they used to be.
Without wanting to open up that can of worms again, it’s not just the politics inside the books but the creative teams they were selecting for the books seemed driven by a political correctness agenda rather than talent. That doesn’t seem to be as prevalent this year.
I think this reflects a wider trend, where in the last year or so, the political stuff on the internet has settled down a little bit.
Wonder if this a long term change or is COVID-19 giving people something different to complain about? :lol:

User avatar
Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Posts: 20686
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09:11 am
Favorite character: Kris
Location: Texas
Contact:
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:54:38 am
Chiclo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:26:46 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:35:28 am
armlessphelan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:37:52 pm
TML5280 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09:20 am
Really hoping that the new folks steering the mothership get away from expressing political and/or personal opinions (Livewire?) through the comics and back toward the intricate line-wine inter-connectedness that made the 2012 re-launch so fantastic.
The whole "political" thing is kinda overblown. I mean, I remember under Dinesh they published an issue of Faith that was practically an endorsement of Hillary Clinton for President. Not to mention the 2012 Archer and Armstrong series was also a super political satire. The only big difference between then and now is that the creators are more vocal on social media than they used to be.
Without wanting to open up that can of worms again, it’s not just the politics inside the books but the creative teams they were selecting for the books seemed driven by a political correctness agenda rather than talent. That doesn’t seem to be as prevalent this year.
I think this reflects a wider trend, where in the last year or so, the political stuff on the internet has settled down a little bit.
Wonder if this a long term change or is COVID-19 giving people something different to complain about? :lol:
I started noticing it before COVID but I do think COVID has helped to quicken it. Almost like the volume of the bickering amongst the internet rabble had been reduced. I was wonder if this was just me, if my bubble had shrank sufficiently to get away from much of it, or if it was a trend in the larger internet. I think it can be said to be the latter, but I don't have any thorough studies to suggest that.

User avatar
armlessphelan
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01:57 pm
Location: Ohio, US
Contact:
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by armlessphelan »

Oxmyx wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:12:17 am
armlessphelan wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55:36 pm
Chiclo wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22:55 pm
buff-beardo wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02:22 am
At this point, Dynamite would be better off owning the characters. Sad story.
I must disagree. If Dynamite got the characters...
Dynamite only cares about relaunching Vampirella and Red Sonja every few years. I actually read Dynamite comics, and outside of their main two cash cows they're often mediocre in both quality and sales. Though, sometimes they give Dejah Thoris a push.
Armless, I'm curious, I read some Dynamite now and then, but I haven't found any Dynamite specific podcasts, whereas Valiant has many. Are there Dynamite podcasts that you are aware of?
I don't know of any, but Dynamite also doesn't have a shared universe. Might play a role.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

User avatar
TheFerg714
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25:48 pm
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by TheFerg714 »

Oxmyx wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:12:17 am

Armless, I'm curious, I read some Dynamite now and then, but I haven't found any Dynamite specific podcasts, whereas Valiant has many. Are there Dynamite podcasts that you are aware of?
Dynamite (sucks).

Oxmyx
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53:37 pm
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Oxmyx »

Benny_Decker wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:18:10 am
I am a trade waiter...
Has the TPB for LADOTH been released yet? I heard something that sounded like it has.

I prefer Trades myself, too.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53:37 pm
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Oxmyx »

TheFerg714 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:19:48 am
Oxmyx wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:12:17 am

Armless, I'm curious, I read some Dynamite now and then, but I haven't found any Dynamite specific podcasts, whereas Valiant has many. Are there Dynamite podcasts that you are aware of?
Dynamite (sucks).
No argument. But I think it's telling about the pulse of a fanbase that Valiant has LESS Diamond market share but way MORE podcasts.

Dynamite does so many stupidity-driven crossovers, from what I see, it almost feels like a shared universe at times. And Valiant as a shared universe isn't feeling as shared these days, except Dr Tommorow.

And of course the shared universe in Dr Tommorow has justifiably been criticized as ... exploitative?

I think it's a sad thing that Incursion was changed to drop Shadowman. I'm not crapping on the story that exists (I haven't gotten to read it yet, but regardless I've heard it's fun). But as Shadowman that would have added an extra layer of shared universe that is missing. EW didn't need the boost.

Benny_Decker
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18:11 pm
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Re: Are we becoming indifferent towards Valiant?

Post by Benny_Decker »

Oxmyx wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:38:38 am
Benny_Decker wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:18:10 am
I am a trade waiter...
Has the TPB for LADOTH been released yet? I heard something that sounded like it has.

I prefer Trades myself, too.
It is out and the series completely lives up to the hype!


Post Reply