Ideas to make Greg Paks first arc EW make sense

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Ideas to make Greg Paks first arc EW make sense

Post by Oxmyx »

There was a comment by BugsySig in the recent "Ignoring continuity" thread that mentioned the continuity problems in the first VEI EW arc by Greg Pak.

Please keep in mind that I haven't read the 4001 arc also by Greg Pac. Maybe that somewhat explains things?

My feeling is that EW went through a angry-at-the-Earth phase that started in the American Civil War area and ended not long before Archer Armstrong Wrath. By then he has had a change of heart and a realization his place is with the Earth.

Reading EW TPB Sword of the Wild, it rather upset me that EW seems to have been in Africa in self-imposed isolation since the Civil War era. No WWI, no WWII, no medern rifles, no modern weapons knowledge of any kind, just doing nothing but hiding himself away in Africa. Did that bother anyone else? Did I read that right?

My headcannon retcon is that the EW had spent too long in isolation at the point his daughter finds him in Africa. He was in WW2 and all that and just forgot at that moment. I can understand going a bit crazy in his situation.

Would that help explain Unit-Y

Headcannon retcon #2. He did not actually kill the Earth Spirit at the end of the arc. Do I remember correctly that he seems to have? My thought is that that was merely a manifestation...an avatar...a place where the Earth's energy focused.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Ideas to make Greg Paks first arc EW make sense

Post by BugsySig »

EW is a bit of a mess continuity wise.

Taking a break during that whole time (Civil War to Present) doesn’t make sense unless he was still doing hero-like things without being the Earth’s Fist and Steel. A&A shows him in the 60s at Kennedy’s assassination. Unity shows him in WWI & WWII. Meanwhile his daughter was acting as Fist & Steel according to Pak’s arc.

However, supposedly his powers don’t work when he’s not working for the Earth, but he hasn’t aged and grows his legs back after that Unity 0 issue.

Pak’s 4001 arc works much better in continuity with all the Eternal Emperor 4001 stuff in Rai, Fallen World, etc. I believe FVL threw in some info on the cult of Negral (Nergal?) in Ivar, Timewalker at some point that added some continuity.

There’s never been another mention of his daughter (though the Forgotten Queen seemed like practically the same character when she first popped up in Unity) or his son from the Pak arc.

Wrath was probably the best EW VEI produced, but that only brought up even more continuity questions for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

The stuff with his kids and the houses could’ve worked

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

dornwolf wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:26:38 pm The stuff with his kids and the houses could’ve worked
I liked the houses mythology they started, a shame it seemed to be dropped.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I just read Sword and the Wild and I liked it and glad they gave him kids and set up the houses and wish Pak had explained more about the earth goddess and Negral the death god.
***Support your local farmers!***

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

The Nergal aren't fiction.....see Wikipedia.

Imagine a universe where there aren't only those Houses but also the Vodou Pantheon (as further introduced by Andy Diggle).

Shadowman & Samedi vs. Nergal & the House of the Dead for supremacy over the Deadside/Netherworld.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:55:24 am The Nergal aren't fiction.....see Wikipedia.

Imagine a universe where there aren't only those Houses but also the Vodou Pantheon (as further introduced by Andy Diggle).

Shadowman & Samedi vs. Nergal & the House of the Dead for supremacy over the Deadside/Netherworld.
According to Wikipedia, a proposed meaning of the name Nergal is "dunghill cock". That's almost worthy of Viking poetry.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Chiclo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:00:28 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:55:24 am The Nergal aren't fiction.....see Wikipedia.

According to Wikipedia, a proposed meaning of the name Nergal is "dunghill cock". That's almost worthy of Viking poetry.
Taken from Ebenezer Cobham Brewer's infamous work "Dictionary of Phrase and Fable; Giving the Derivation, Source, or Origin of Common Phrases, Allusions, and Words that have a Tale to Tell; to which is added a Concise Bibliography of English Literature" published around 1990.

See the "Cock and Bull Story" entry
https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_6aEl ... 7/mode/2up

It still seems a little far-fetched but Ebenezer's interpretation of the "dunghill cock" is surely spreading. I love the internet. Nothing mentioned about cock and dung here and here. Then there's this crazy page calling Nergal the "Lion Headed Cock God" but no dung there either.

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:55:24 am Imagine a universe where there aren't only those Houses but also the Vodou Pantheon (as further introduced by Andy Diggle).

I think this story idea could have a lot of potential. The Earth's response expressed through the Geomancer could add an interesting layer too.
***Support your local farmers!***

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:38:22 am
Chiclo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:00:28 am

Taken from Ebenezer Cobham Brewer's infamous work "Dictionary of Phrase and Fable; Giving the Derivation, Source, or Origin of Common Phrases, Allusions, and Words that have a Tale to Tell; to which is added a Concise Bibliography of English Literature" published around 1990.

See the "Cock and Bull Story" entry
https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_6aEl ... 7/mode/2up

It still seems a little far-fetched but Ebenezer's interpretation of the "dunghill cock" is surely spreading. I love the internet. Nothing mentioned about cock and dung here and here. Then there's this crazy page calling Nergal the "Lion Headed Cock God" but no dung there either.
It is good to know a possible source of the (apparently flimsy) suggested origin. Thanks for the link; it sounded a bit spurious but I thought the imagery was funny, on both the level of just the image itself and the fact that the phrase involved both the words dung and cock.

That gnostic fellow seems a little nutty. Then again, I start of suspicious any claims from a self-proclaimed gnostic source.