Bloodshot movie vs novelzation

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Bloodshot movie vs novelzation

Post by dornwolf »

So I finally got a chance to see Bloodshot. I wasn't aware that the early release ultimately led to an early physical release as well. Overall the movie was too bad I thought Harting, Wiggans and KT were all good characters. Harting wasn't cartoonishly evil, Wiggans added some decent comedy, and KT wasn't just hot girl in the movie. Some nit picks though as I found the several scenes washed out pretty bad thanks to lighting. It was like they shined them directly into the movie lens and didn't fix it in post or something as it made scenes hard to see like the opening torture scene and the tunnel scene. The CGI wasn't that bad still wasn't great it honestly was no better than the final fight in Black Panther just as noticeable there. My one massive critique if you will was that he wasn't called Bloodshot, ever, and he only looked like Bloodshot for all of 3 minutes.

Now the interesting thing is that the novelization came out before the movie did so you are able to see what was left out. Surprisingly not that much was changed.

Harting goes to meet a CIA agent about Project: Bloodshot, there is a brief mention in the movie about going into production
Bloodshot testing his powers by linking to servers and learning
Daltons death, this was actually filmed and is listed as the Alternate Ending on the physical release
Hartings death, this ones quite interesting as at the end of the book theres an epilogue that I imagine was originally meant to act as a mid credit scene, he's revealed to be alive and apparently restarting the project. It's not really clear and I was hoping the movie would've cleared that up
Ray is refereed to as Bloodshot shot and Psycho Killer is constantly referenced as well

And that's all I can remember

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Re: Bloodshot movie vs novelzation

Post by tarheelmarine »

Thanks to RedBox, I watched it last night for $.67. I thought it was a typical, action movie. It was cool to see a movie produced from a comic we all bought in the 90s. I definitely enjoyed Wigan's character and he was the bright spot of the movie. :popcorn:

darkwingdan
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by darkwingdan »

I picked it up when it was released on digital. I thought it was average. I didn't find it bad, but I didn't find it to be very good. I think if Vin Diesel looked like Bloodshot for most of the movie, my personal enjoyment would have increased quite a bit. I mean, we now live in an era where the most colorful costumed characters are brought to the big screen. Would it have been that hard for them to at least give Bloodshot grayish skin for the majority of the movie?

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

darkwingdan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:11:01 am I picked it up when it was released on digital. I thought it was average. I didn't find it bad, but I didn't find it to be very good. I think if Vin Diesel looked like Bloodshot for most of the movie, my personal enjoyment would have increased quite a bit. I mean, we now live in an era where the most colorful costumed characters are brought to the big screen. Would it have been that hard for them to at least give Bloodshot grayish skin for the majority of the movie?
If I had to make one complaint it'd be that. I'm fine with explaining away the red circle the way they did but that needed to be seen more and some greyish skin would've gone along way.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Possible spoiler:

I read the novelization before I saw the movie (blasphemy? perhaps, but that's the order they were released).

The novelization clearly implies that Eric is the mastermind behind everything.

Now, the movie goes out of its way to make Eric a joke, always giving him the embarassing lines/embarassing endowments, etc.
(How could it be him? They made fun of his manhood! Because he needs to be "believable" as an underling by those he's controlling.)

But... think about it... (and rewatch the movie, if you have to...)

Eric is the character who knows everything, even when Harting doesn't know what's happening.

Eric is the character who actually looks a little like Dinesh and has the first name of the screenplay writer, Eric Heisserer.

Eric is the both the "producer" and the "author" of Bloodshot.

:thumb:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

I just noticed that the DVDs that are being sold online advertise an “alternate ending.” I wonder what that could be? :hm: ...and if it is a minor difference or something drastic?

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

My three sons and I watched it last night and loved it for what it is. Haven't read the novelization. I enjoyed watching all the extras on the Bluray too and the alternate ending. My oldest son met Dinesh and thought it was cool to see his name in the credits and Dinesh in the extras. So did I. :D
***Support your local farmers!***

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Juki wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:11:32 pm I just noticed that the DVDs that are being sold online advertise an “alternate ending.” I wonder what that could be? :hm: ...and if it is a minor difference or something drastic?
It’s blatant false advertising. It’s an alternate ending for the big fight at the end