Resuming Valiant reading and now heartbroken?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Resuming Valiant reading and now heartbroken?

Post by TheFerg714 »

SwiftMann wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:25:32 pm I think your summary is even a little generous. I wouldn't say Killers was "well-received by most readers" especially how it ended. I didn't have "personal problems" with Faith; it, just like Killers, ended poorly. Yes, better than the trainwreck holiday issue, but not better than Future Force. And I don't have "personal problems" with any of Britannia. I just don't see the point in recommending it to someone looking for good Valiant books.
I suppose it depends on the type of fan, but why would you not recommend the third Britannia story to someone who's a fan of the whole universe (presumably, including Britannia)? Similarly, Faith fans should absolutely be made aware that there is another mini with awesome art, Dr. Mirage, and Animalia. I saw general, if subdued, fan acclaim for Killers, which I see as an essential epilogue to Ninja-K. It would be such a shame if fans of Ninja-K didn't know that there was a spin-off, just because VEI fans are still salty. (I'm one of those salty fans tbh, just pointing out that DMG has published some good books)
I definitely, absolutely lean towards thinking most of what Valiant has produced for the last 3 years isn't very good. You definitely lean towards thinking it is.
I literally never said that. In fact, I specifically used the term '50/50', which naturally would imply that DMG is actually not doing very good.

However, DMG is made up of people just trying to tell stories. Some of those stories suck, some of them are pretty good. I don't think it's fair to write off everything, especially when considering when a new fan should stop reading.

Nameless7
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Re: Resuming Valiant reading and now heartbroken?

Post by Nameless7 »

I am certainly happy to see that there are some that consider the new stuff VEI is putting out as 'good' or at least 'acceptable'. There is some hope yet.

As I continue to catch up with the stories I feel a little bit less anxious and hope that I may fall in the camp that somewhat approves of current VEI.

Thanks everyone for all the information. I had sure missed a lot in the last few years. :)