DBS's 100% CONFIRMED "Rare" Print Run Info

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: DBS's 100% CONFIRMED "Rare" Print Run Info

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

greg wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:35:51 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:55:31 am
DirtbagSailor wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:06:16 pm 2,500 copies - Unity #1 (Crain 3-D Lenticular)
Hmm, this seems rather high.....for an item that was sent to retailers for not returning their large orders ("of 100 copies or less").

Or, I'm not fully understanding the returnability policy.

Whatever "less" means?
I'd say that the lenticular effect on the cover would have probably made it more practical to order 2,500, since 1) that's still half of the old Valiant gold editions of 5,000, 2) the book was going to be "neat" (because chromium, metal, and glass covers didn't exist yet), 3) more people are going to want one than just the retailers, and 4) rules for what retailers must do don't set limits on the publisher, rules only set limits on the retailers.

:thumb:
Yes, this makes sense. Somehow I focused too much on the retailer (than publisher side).

VEI probably displayed and offered it during conventions, too.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Any guesses as to how many 2012 Harbinger #3 1:20 Zircher comics (1st new Livewire) were made? The only clue that I see is that Harbinger #2 1:20 had 2000 printed. But, since Harbinger #2 was advertised to have a first appearance (1st Darpan) is it possible that Harbinger #3 1:20 had a smaller print run (since nobody was thinking about another 1st appearance)?

My guess is that Harbinger #3 1:20 variant probably had a print run of between 1000-2000. But, you don’t see hardly any come up for sale.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Juki wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:24:33 pm Any guesses as to how many 2012 Harbinger #3 1:20 Zircher comics (1st new Livewire) were made? The only clue that I see is that Harbinger #2 1:20 had 2000 printed. But, since Harbinger #2 was advertised to have a first appearance (1st Darpan) is it possible that Harbinger #3 1:20 had a smaller print run (since nobody was thinking about another 1st appearance)?

My guess is that Harbinger #3 1:20 variant probably had a print run of between 1000-2000. But, you don’t see hardly any come up for sale.
DBS may have the official info (or may get it), but I'd suspect Harbinger #3 1:20 Zircher is very close to 2,000 copies as well. It has been harder to find for several years because Livewire is more important than Darpan, so people have less reason to sell #3 if they are keeping anything in their "permanent" VEI collections.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Juki wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:24:33 pm Any guesses as to how many 2012 Harbinger #3 1:20 Zircher comics (1st new Livewire) were made? The only clue that I see is that Harbinger #2 1:20 had 2000 printed. But, since Harbinger #2 was advertised to have a first appearance (1st Darpan) is it possible that Harbinger #3 1:20 had a smaller print run (since nobody was thinking about another 1st appearance)?

Also, don't forget that is Faith's first appearance as well for VEI.
Moose

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:06:16 pm 2,500 copies - Unity #1 (Crain 3-D Lenticular)
Cool. I found one in a discount box at NYCC. Don't remember which one; cost me either $3 or $5.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:42:09 pm

DBS may have the official info (or may get it), but I'd suspect Harbinger #3 1:20 Zircher is very close to 2,000 copies as well. It has been harder to find for several years because Livewire is more important than Darpan, so people have less reason to sell #3 if they are keeping anything in their "permanent" VEI collections.
I am most certainly hanging onto my copy of it 8-)

I love the cover art too much all on its own to ever part with it, never mind the Livewire first appearance aspect of it!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

grendeljd wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:24:26 pm

I love the cover art too much all on its own to ever part with it, never mind the Livewire first appearance aspect of it!
Who are the 2 characters on the cover of Harbinger #3 1:20 ? They are obviously psiots. I seem to remember Hidden Moon being in the first few issues. I don’t think that is supposed to be Livewire to the left…. If not… what is Livewire’s first cover appearance?

Also, I got a copy of Harbinger #3 1:20 off of EBay in a VEI comic lot back in 2012. There was no VEI available at my local comic store. So,when Harbinger #3 1:20 was on the comic shelf…. Did it sell for $20.00? Or, did it sell for just $3.99? What was the going rate for this variant when just out?
Last edited by Juki on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:33:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Who are the 2 characters on the cover of Harbinger #3 1:20 ? They are obviously psiots. I seem to remember Hidden Moon being in the first few issues.

The magnetic/electric charges indicate that Livewire would be on the cover… but the short hair throws me off. If Livewire is not on this cover… what is her first VEI cover appearance?

Also, I got a copy of Harbinger #3 1:20 off of EBay in a VEI comic lot back in 2012 because there was no VEI available at my local comic store. So,when Harbinger #3 1:20 was on the comic shelf…. Did it sell for $20.00? Or, did it sell for just $3.99? What was the going rate for this variant when just out?

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Juki wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31:31 pm

Who are the 2 characters on the cover of Harbinger #3 1:20 ? They are obviously psiots. I seem to remember Hidden Moon being in the first few issues.

The magnetic/electric charges indicate that Livewire would be on the cover… but the short hair throws me off. If Livewire is not on this cover… what is her first VEI cover appearance?

Also, I got a copy of Harbinger #3 1:20 off of EBay in a VEI comic lot back in 2012 because there was no VEI available at my local comic store. So,when Harbinger #3 1:20 was on the comic shelf…. Did it sell for $20.00? Or, did it sell for just $3.99? What was the going rate for this variant when just out?
I think it is Peter Stanchek against fellow Harbinger Foundation student Ion on the cover. If I recall correctly that was a confrontation that happened in the story at the time.

And I think it was $20 at the time right off the shelf new. I might have gotten it for a little less than that as a regular customer, but I remember *most* of those early variants that I bought brand new being priced at or just below their ratio value in dollars.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

grendeljd wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:24:04 am

I think it is Peter Stanchek against fellow Harbinger Foundation student Ion on the cover. If I recall correctly that was a confrontation that happened in the story at the time.
Yes, it is Ion. As his name suggests, he has the ability to control and release electrical energy and charges.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

That might be Livewire behind Peter's head on Harbinger 4, but since we can't really say for sure, I don't think that counts. The Suayan connecting cover for Harbinger 10 is the first clear cover appearance.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

So, I am assuming Ion is the psiot on the right side of the cover (because older and electrical charges); and Peter is the psiot on the left (very young)(spine side). Peter, the character on the left, is the one that was throwing me off… it is hard to tell the gender and race (I thought there was a small chance this character could be Livewire even though many features didn’t fit well such as the face and hair and some boyish features and boy pants ). This character looks young and has some feminine features as well in my opinion (cheek,nose). I guess the shading around the neck is definitely an Adam’s apple (lol). Although this is a super cool cover, this doesn’t look much like Peter to me either. The skin tone looks like it could be brown (but hard to say do to light reflection).

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Juki wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22:15 pm The skin tone looks like it could be brown (but hard to say do to light reflection).
You might want to check your display settings. :lol:
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

SwiftMann wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44:54 pm
Juki wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22:15 pm The skin tone looks like it could be brown (but hard to say do to light reflection).
You might want to check your display settings. :lol:
I might need to get my eyes checked, lol…. Because I was looking at the actual physical comic. Does that look like Peter to you?

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

No, it doesn't really look like Peter. Which is extra funny since the best description of him is "generic white guy."

But there's no chance that's not a white guy in the left/spine side.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

kjjohanson wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:24:39 am

That might be Livewire behind Peter's head on Harbinger 4, but since we can't really say for sure, I don't think that counts. The Suayan connecting cover for Harbinger 10 is the first clear cover appearance.
You are probably correct about that being the new Livewire’s first cover appearance “behind Peter’s head on Harbinger #4.” I never noticed that before you pointed it out. If that is her, that is a horrible first cover appearance.

The only thing that would have been worse is if Livewire would be in the square where Peter is actually sitting (cover Harbinger #4). Boy is that a terrible cover appearance for that poor psiot! Peter is sitting on his face.

I can now definitely see the similarities of the drawing of Peter by Zircher on the covers of Harbinger #3 1:20 and Harbinger #4.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Juki wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:02:21 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:13:27 am
Juki wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:24:48 pm Ok… I’ll bark up another tree….
The 2013 Shadowman issue #10 Rossmo 1:25 variant doesn’t seem to be for sale anywhere. Why? Is it that rare… or are they all being hoarded?

As far as I know…. There are no first appearances in this issue that would make it a sleeper….Correct? What am I missing here?
A 9.6 was just sold for less than $60 one week ago. 1 bid only.

No first appearance but (initial) origin of the Shadow Loa revealed and widely considered one of the best SM issues by Justin Jordan (and VEI).
Anyone know where some more NM/M copies are? I sure don’t see any!

I finally got my Shadowman #10 1:25 Rossmo Variant. I guess patience finally paid off in this case (8 dollars raw)! I still don’t get why this particular issue is hard to find. Nice cover art though.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bad Idea
148 qualified orders - Retirement Plan #1 - Button Redemption
168 qualified orders - Warewolf #1 - Button Redemption

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

:thumb:

jaspersk
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by jaspersk »

What would your guess be on the more recent 1:100s 1:250s
Including the recent harbinger shadowman armorclads
Im guessing only stores with exclusives qualified

DirtbagSailor
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

jaspersk wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:05:34 pm What would your guess be on the more recent 1:100s 1:250s
Including the recent harbinger shadowman armorclads
Im guessing only stores with exclusives qualified
My guess for the 1:250s would be less than 200; however, I have zero confirmation for such a number presently.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Juki wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:06:51 pm
dino wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54:37 pm
Juki wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:22:47 pm
DirtbagSailor wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:27:08 am
Juki wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:37:18 pm Does anyone have an estimate on the print run of 2013 Shadowman #5 Grandpa 1:125 line Variant (first new Dr. Mirage AKA Shan Fong)? I can’t remember if a print run estimate was ever determined on this comic.
Nothing confirmed; however, it was released approx. 1-2 months after the Harbinger #8 1:125 Linewide (which we know had 500 copies).

Unless it is confirmed at some future point, it is reasonable to conclude that Shadowman #8 1:125 Linewide would have a similar print run of approx. 500 copies. However, as this has not been confirmed, I have not added it to my list.
Ok, thanks DBS. It doesn’t seem like the Shadowman #5 Grandpa 1:125 print run has been discussed much in the past. It seems like an important first appearance book that doesn’t come up for sale much anymore lately. The well could run dry eventually if there are truly 500 or less in existence. Especially if there is ever any actual Dr. Mirage tv episodes made as speculated in the past. I won’t hold my breath... but this character would make for an interesting Netflix/Amazon series.
If memory serves we there are significantly more Harbinger 8 1:125 than Shadowman #5 1:125
Wow... So, if there were 500 copies of the Harbinger issue 8 1:125 Linewide variant printed (with some of these possibly being destroyed as “extras”).... I wonder what the print run actually was for Shadowman #5 1:125 Linewide variant? Significantly less copies could mean about 200-300 printed. And if any were destroyed as “extras” this one could be a Mega-Sleeper if anything positive is ever done with Dr. Mirage.
Did we ever figure out how many Shadowman #5 1:125 Grampa’ Variants were printed? From this old conversation it could be as low as a few hundred. But, a few hundred seems like it would be very low considering this issue is a “Linewide Variant.” Greg has the “Print Estimate as about 800 copies” in the Price Guide. I’m not sure if he estimated that 800 as a percentage of the total number of #5 comics in the Linewide run before the above conversation? …or if 800 is more of a known print estimate now.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Harbinger:Bleeding Monk #0 8,423

Mico Suayan 1:25 (*366)

*estimated copies

Ps… Not confirmed, but rare nonetheless.
#StayValiant

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

agent_graves wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:34:03 pm Harbinger:Bleeding Monk #0 8,423

*estimated copies

11,400 total. 400 copies of the 1:25

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

dino wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:35:09 pm
agent_graves wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:34:03 pm Harbinger:Bleeding Monk #0 8,423

*estimated copies

11,400 total. 400 copies of the 1:25
Thanks. :thumb:
#StayValiant