DBS's 100% CONFIRMED "Rare" Print Run Info

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: DBS's 100% CONFIRMED "Rare" Print Run Info

Post by DirtbagSailor »

:breakingnews:
Update:

500 copies - Bloodshot Reborn #14 (Giorello 1:50 B&W Sketch Variant)
500 copies - Bloodshot Reborn #10 (Lemire 1:100 Line Variant)
500 copies Harbinger #8 (Lemire 1:125 Line Variant)
600 copies - Bloodshot Reborn #14 (Lemire 1:120 Line Variant)
NOTE: Dinesh stated that retailers qualified/ordered 180 copies of the Harbinger #8 (Lemire 1:125 Line Variant). At the time, 1,000 copies were generally printed for variants like this; however, Dinesh believes that he made an exception to this policy/rule and 500 were printed. It is unknown if the additional copies were distributed to staff, artists, writers, partners, gifts, etc.
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:31:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:56:36 pm
Juki wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:47:43 pm
DirtbagSailor wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30:35 am 1st Mirror cover.
Ok... L&DofTH first Mirror cover ever

Were any of the glass covers the first glass cover?
Well, LADOTH had the first ever mirror cover and second ever glass cover. :wink:

https://www.cbr.com/valiant-tempered-gl ... ant-cover/
Ok... so, Bloodshot Rising Spirit #1 1:250 Glass Variant was the first “tempered glass comic”
and L&DofTH #1/1:250 Glass Variant was the “2nd ever tempered glass comic,” but... the first ever glass mirrored comic.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

DBS....
Dino’s quote about Harbinger 8 1:120 Lemire Variant:

”I'd have to check the purchase order but my memory is that there were approx. 180 qualifying copies of the Harbinger #8 1:125. This was early enough that I was still making sure we printed 1,000 copies of any variant but I can't remember if I made an exception on this one. I do remember thinking about making an exception. My guess is we printed 500 of these. In addition to the 180 we would have sent comps to creators, given copies to staff and gifted copies to partners.”

I take the above statement as meaning there were 500 printed in total (180 earned plus 320 for extras, giveaways, etc.) of Harbinger 8 1:120.

The interesting thing to me is that he brought up again the fact that extra issues were destroyed when talking about Bloodshot Reborn issue #14 1:120 variant.

Dino quote about Bloodshot Reborn #14 1:120:

“While copies ordered (or earned) is the primary factor there are many other factors that determine a print run and those factors change with each situation. In this specific case of the Bloodshot Reborn 14 1:50 cover, orders at the time of printing qualified for just over 200 copies. Diamond requested 350 copies anticipating orders increasing in the days to follow, re-orders, damages etc. We printed 500 anticipating even more orders than Diamond, additional damages, comps, gifts etc. The excess was housed secretly near the offices for about a year after which time they were securely destroyed.“

I enjoy looking at the print numbers for VEI books and discussing their methods for the numbers. But, for some strange reason it bothers me a little about the destruction of extra books. I guess I like knowing the exact print numbers. But, when destruction of extra books occurs after a year it brings that unknown factor of “ How many were destroyed?” This method that was used makes perfect sense (even though it is a little maddening to me) because the cost of printing 100 or 500 books is probably about the same. So.... why not print a few hundred extra (to make sure that you do have enough) and then destroy the extras after a year. I give kudos to VEI for actually destroying the extras. I don’t think any other comic company has/or would do that on a routine basis to ensure their variant comics are truly as limited as possible. Other companies would just store the rest.
Last edited by Juki on Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:16:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Juki wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:35:11 am and then destroy the extras after a year. I give kudos to VEI for actually destroying the extras. I don’t think any other comic company has/or would do that on a routine basis to ensure their variant comics are truly as limited as possible. Other companies would just store the rest.
Major kudos. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The largest publisher in the industry dumps substantial numbers of leftover variants completely flooding the market and making fools of their fans that paid up for the books when they first came out. Valiant and Usagi Yojimbo are the only books where I actively try and get all variants.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Juki wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:35:11 am DBS....
Dino’s quote about Harbinger 8 1:120 Lemire Variant:

I take the above statement as meaning there were 500 printed in total (180 earned plus 320 for extras, giveaways, etc.) of Harbinger 8 1:120
You are 100% right, and all posts have been corrected to reflect this.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

DBS:

You might want to put a note/disclaimer in the beginning of the very first post that while these are the number that were printed that copies beyond those earned, used for damages and given as comps to artists/partners the rest of the print run was destroyed. The actual number of these books that exists is less than the print runs.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

magnus20009 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:11:25 pmYou might want to put a note/disclaimer in the beginning of the very first post that while these are the number that were printed that copies beyond those earned, used for damages and given as comps to artists/partners the rest of the print run was destroyed. The actual number of these books that exists is less than the print runs.
I will do exactly that.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

All that wasted paper and ink! MEH!

They could have just marked the covers in a way (cut off a corner) so they wouldn't be a collectible copies anymore and given away to charities.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

magnus20009 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:35:20 am The largest publisher in the industry dumps substantial numbers of leftover variants completely flooding the market and making fools of their fans that paid up for the books when they first came out.
I wonder how many people paying hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for the Ultimate Fallout #4 1:25 variant realize it was available in $5 packs of comics at Five Below discount stores, after being sold by the hundreds (or thousands) for pennies in one of the Marvel variant leftovers sales.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

greg wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12:01 am
magnus20009 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:35:20 am The largest publisher in the industry dumps substantial numbers of leftover variants completely flooding the market and making fools of their fans that paid up for the books when they first came out.
I wonder how many people paying hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for the Ultimate Fallout #4 1:25 variant realize it was available in $5 packs of comics at Five Below discount stores, after being sold by the hundreds (or thousands) for pennies in one of the Marvel variant leftovers sales.
I tried to track that down when I heard that those were in discount packs, but with no luck.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Sunlight on Snow

DirtbagSailor wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45:39 pm 700 copies - Doctor Tomorrow #3 (Monoko cvr B "Virgin" edition)
NOTE #1: This cover was available at https://frankiescomics.com/products/doc ... oko-virgin who CONFIRMED 700 copies. The book could be purchased Raw, Graded, or Signed and Graded!
NOTE #2: This cover should NOT be confused with Doctor Tomorrow #3 (Monoko cvr B), which has a UPC and Trade Dress on the cover.
The Peach Momoko cover was also available from Sad Lemon Comics in the UK.

In very limited numbers and only the raw virgin variant.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I just noticed, not a single Bloodshot (2012) book showed up in the CONFIRMED rare print run, is that because Dinesh can't remember those numbers, or just didn't have those numbers readily available? Every 1:25 variant has to be under some of those lowest total confirmed numbers. I know these numbers aren't CONFIRMED yet, but I would love to get some intel on these books, especially the HARD Corps books! None of these variants are easy to find!
Moose

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:25:24 pm I just noticed, not a single Bloodshot (2012) book showed up in the CONFIRMED rare print run, is that because Dinesh can't remember those numbers, or just didn't have those numbers readily available? Every 1:25 variant has to be under some of those lowest total confirmed numbers. I know these numbers aren't CONFIRMED yet, but I would love to get some intel on these books, especially the HARD Corps books! None of these variants are easy to find!
Only one way to confirm those numbers Moose.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:30:06 pm
TheeBaldMoose wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:25:24 pm I just noticed, not a single Bloodshot (2012) book showed up in the CONFIRMED rare print run, is that because Dinesh can't remember those numbers, or just didn't have those numbers readily available? Every 1:25 variant has to be under some of those lowest total confirmed numbers. I know these numbers aren't CONFIRMED yet, but I would love to get some intel on these books, especially the HARD Corps books! None of these variants are easy to find!
Dino....PLEASE! :hope:

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Juki wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22:38 pm
DirtbagSailor wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:30:06 pm
Dino....PLEASE! :hope:
I should add, that if he can't remember, or doesn't have those numbers, I totally get it. It's not like he doesn't have a metric shyte ton on his plate right now. I would LOVE to know where they all fit in, but if he doesn't have the metrics, That's ok. I just want to know what I am holding/collecting
Moose

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:42:36 pm
NOTE #2: Greg owns four raw copies of this book. There are five graded copies in the census (four Universal and one Signature Series). This confirms at least NINE known copies.
I'd like to add mine to the "known" list.

Trying to add a photo, but I keep getting "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." I've tried embedding, resizing the pic. Any advice?
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

Sunlight on Snow

unityshadowman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47:59 am
NOTE #2: Greg owns four raw copies of this book. There are five graded copies in the census (four Universal and one Signature Series). This confirms at least NINE known copies.

Trying to add a photo, but I keep getting "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." I've tried embedding, resizing the pic. Any advice?
If you have a problem like this it would help if you could provide the link. Anyhow, it is very likely your URL is either pointing to an embedded image or it contains a large query string (that includes session parameters).

greg

Post by greg »

Send me a PM and we'll figure it out. :thumb:

greg

Post by greg »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:42:36 pm Store and/or Convention Exclusives: 100 copies or LESS
3-10 known copies - Ninjak #0 (NYCC Unreleased Edition)
NOTE #1: Supposedly all copies of Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe #0 (NYCC Unreleased Edition) were destroyed. This clearly did NOT happen, as a FEW copies still exist and/or have been rarely made available on eBay.
I have been given permission to say that the four copies that I own are from Dinesh's personal collection and were purchased following Dinesh's departure from Valiant in 2018. I don't know if any copies have ever been located that did not start with Dinesh.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

greg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:41:59 pm
DirtbagSailor wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:42:36 pm Store and/or Convention Exclusives: 100 copies or LESS
NOTE #1: Supposedly all copies of Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe #0 (NYCC Unreleased Edition) were destroyed. This clearly did NOT happen, as a FEW copies still exist and/or have been rarely made available on eBay.
I have been given permission to say that the four copies that I own are from Dinesh's personal collection and were purchased following Dinesh's departure from Valiant in 2018. I don't know if any copies have ever been located that did not start with Dinesh.
Wanna sell one? :hm:
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

greg

Post by greg »

JCP wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:14:29 pm
Wanna sell one? :hm:
I've got about 10,000 other comics that would "need" to be sold before I'd have to dip into my "less than 10 known" stack. :atomic:

JCP
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Fair enough. Can’t say I blame you. Love having you on the boards.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

greg

Post by greg »

greg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:39:20 pm

Send me a PM and we'll figure it out. :thumb:
Here is unityshadowman's photo:
valiant_keys.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greg

Post by greg »

DBS - there are 5 copies CGC graded, but 4 of those are labeled as "Jason David Frank photo cover".
http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title ... us/201020/

It looks like CGC considers the "all characters" photo cover as cover "B" of the NYCC exclusive. Just one on the CGC Census. 5 known raw copies.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

greg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:23:53 pm I've got about 10,000 other comics that would "need" to be sold before I'd have to dip into my "less than 10 known" stack. :atomic:
This is basically how I've been conducting myself with sales for the last few months as well.